“Spa break to recharge the batteries”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 days we found the hotel very clean and staff were very helpful . The room was lovely everything you could want from tea /coffee facilities to complementary shampoos and lotions ,The pool was well maintained and plenty of sunbeds and parasols for all. The indoor pool was equally as nice and the spa facilities were exceptional . We had a lovely massage and reflexology treatment and the prices were reasonable . The hotel was well located to travel all over Malta either by taxi or if you liked walking St George's bay was only 5min walk away . We stayed bed& breakfast as you would expect everything you could want from continental to full English.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rogers1168
Write a ReviewReviews (4,138)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Have just returned from 10 day holiday at this hotel which is superb and one that we could not fault. We are not normally great fans of large hotels but from the minute we arrived we were made to feel very special by a friendly and welcoming staff who could not do enough for us. The location is close to the lively night club area and in a very busy street but our room was peaceful and relaxing, meticulously clean and extremely comfortable overlooking an inner garden area. Breakfasts in the hotels Harruba restaurant were great - huge choice with Joseph and Andrea on hand to keep the coffee flowing! Massive choice of restaurants nearby (Concierge James can recommend various) to suit all budgets and tastes and with an efficient and cheap bus service all parts of the island are easily accessible. Loungers and parasols are plentiful on the sun deck and the private beach a few short steps from the hotels front door is an added attraction. Thank you to all at the Intercontinental St Julians for everything - we will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was a return visit for my family. we were last at the hotel 3 years ago.

The hotel is 10 years old and there are proposals to extend it. The hotel has aged very well.

It is located in a lively part of St Julians called Paceville. the rooms are quiet with the majority overlooking the extensive gardens.

The hotel has both an internal and an external pool. There is a large sunbathing area. excellent food is served by the Pool at Narcis.

For breakfast there is a great choice. Weather permitting the Al fresco Gardens can not be ten. Service is very attentive and the complete breakfast selection is available. There is also Harruba which is located inside.

For those in the Club rooms, there is the Club Lounge which serves a full breakfast, offers afternoon Tea and complimentary evening drinks. Soft drinks are available throughout the day. Special mention must go to Dominic who is highly professional and friendly.

kids are entertained through the Kids club which is located next to the Gym. My son found it fun. Samantha and her colleagues work a long day and ensure a stimulating environment away from xboxes etc.

The management team are very hands on and a special mention needs to be made of Peter Kriznar who overseas the lounge and is the Guest experience Manager. if guests have issues the hotel does try and resolve them.

we were also impressed with the meet the management evenings that are organised, The hotel wants guests to enjoy their stay be it for business or pleasure. Annelise Poulton took time out to talk to us and was interested in our experience.

The rooms are well specified and housekeeping work well. It is useful to prompt the hotel if you want your room cleaned at a specific time.

we are already looking forward to our next visit to Malta and in particular the intercontinental where IHG have a gem of a hotel not just in respect of the amenities but also the staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank bernie1002
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a Suite on the 15th floor. Use of the Lounge was a treat....afternoon tea and canopies. I loved the location as we wanted to be central to the night life. Relaxing Turkish Bath and spa facilities. Good food. Rooms were very generous. In all a very good hotel. Very happy to stay there again

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank UnaNorris
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Recently stayed 7 nights in the Intercontinental St Julians. Overall, it was mainly a positive experience however there were a few issues that arose over the week that would bring its rating down slightly.

Positives:

-Very comfortable room on 12th floor, very peaceful and couldnt hear any noise from the nearby strip of bars. Room servicing was excellent.

-Roof top pool and surrounding area very nice, good pool service. Fresh towels complimentary every day. Beach area was also nice however there was a lot of noisy construction going on in the area when we were there.

-Breakfast was very nice, wide selection of foods.

-Waterbiscuit restaurant was very nice, food was of a very high quality, dined here twice during the week. Received complimentary wine (to the value of 15 euro) on both nights as we had booked at hotel reception. Only downside was the service was very slow on both nights which resulted in us changing our mind about dessert one of the nights as there was such a long delay.

-One night stay in presidential suite was very pleasant surprise on arrival as we were informed there was a problem with our room for the 1st night. We were then moved to a room on the 12th floor and received a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit bowl which has a nice gesture.

-Staff were, on the whole, very friendly and helpful.

Negatives:

-The shower in the room kept fluctuating temperature the whole time from extremely hot to luke warm.

- We had an unpleasant experience in the breakfast room one morning. A waiter who had served us at lunch the previous day approached us and accused us of not having paid our bill correctly the previous day at lunch and that we hadnt used the corrrect room number. He was very persistent and borderline rude in his accusations. We went straight to reception following breakfast to check our bill and the lunch had been billed correctly to our room. We did not feel it was appropriate for a waiter to be bringing this up (and incorrectly accusing us) in such a public location. The same waiter had been very slow serving us the previous day and we had to go up to the till at the bar to sign off our bill.

- We were also invited to meet with the front desk manager during our stay to 'offer us a present' in return for us doing the hotel a favour. We were informed that the hotel was over booked for the last night of our stay and that if we agreed to move to a different hotel for the night (which was located in the middle of the island), we could have use of the club lounge for our final few days and half board in the buffet restaurant. We did not accept this offer and felt it was unprofessional for a 5 star hotel to be overbooking and using what amounted to bribery to move guests out. We had booked a hotel in this area to be close to the sea and did not want the upheaval of having to pack up a day early considering the earlier upheaval of having to move rooms.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay in the Intercontinental, however the few service issues mentioned above have brought its rating down in our eyes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice hotel. Staff excellent. A bit too close to the town however.
Would give it a 4 star rating. One had to leave the hotel and walk on a busy street to get to the beach,
The area of beach was tiny and loud music was blaring out all the time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EOG123
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I write reviews professionally so although this report is based purely on my own personal experience of this hotel you can guarantee my honest opinion. The intercontinental is situated in a rather down market area of malta. Directly opposite the hotel is an all day bowling alley, alongside this is a shopping complex which houses a McDonald's restaurant and various cheap chain restaurants. A few steps along the road is a rather seedy array of bars and clubs. Unless you are under 30 you may feel rather uncomfortable walking through this area at night as vouchers and promo deals are thrust at you trying to entice you in for cheap drinks and clubbing. This is a great area if you 're on a hen or stag do. The hotels beach is at the end of the street, about a 5 minute walk. This area is small but nice. Unfortunately when I visited a new building was being constructed directly behind the hotels beach area . Very large plant and diggers totally drowned out the beach music creating a very unrelaxing atmosphere which to me was a total disappointment.
My accomodation was for the ic club rooms with its own check in facility. On checking in at the main reception my bag was taken from me and a very friendly lady escorted me to floor 15 where the club lounge personal check in is situated. I was shown to a table and told that I would be seen to immediately, unfortunately 20 minutes later feeling that I had been forgotten I approached the main counter area and as I had suspected I was greeted with a " oh have you not signed in yet" I was disappointed as if I had not approached the desk I would have sat there for a lot longer. On the plus side the lovely waiting staff had offered me a drink. My first impressions of the intercontinental were marred by this poor service. I feel that my check-in experience was rather lacking instyle and I got the impression I was interrupting the lady at the desk from doing her work. My luggage eventually found its way to my room some half an hour after my arrival to the hotel and after telephoning reception to ask where it was , not terribly efficient.
The rooms are quite nice, but nothing very special. The view over the pool area was very pleasant with the sea in the distance.
The ic club lounge on a daily basis is very pleasant and relaxing, the waiting staff very attentive. The breakfast although only a minimal choice was good. The afternoon tea concept I liked very much and pre-dinner drinks were nice.
I liked certain aspects of the hotel but others were lacking, I understand hotels are often fully booked but as a guest unfortunately this should not impact on my experience, would I recommend this hotel probably not.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2 mi away
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#6 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!