We stayed here for 6 days for a holiday in May and have very mixed feelings about the hotel, there are some real nice things about it, but overall it fell short of our expectations.
The check-in process was smooth and also the staff at guest relations desk has been very helpful in advising on specific stores, online check-on for return flight etc. It’s fortunate that guest relations staff is so helpful as we had to contact them on a daily basis because towels and bathing gown were missing on arrival, the room wasn’t cleaned the next day, another day there were no tea bags etc, all these issues were resolved quickly but they obviously shouldn’t happen with such frequency in any decent hotel.
The room itself was nice enough. Very clean, a decent size bathroom; the problem with the water turning hot and cold has been mentioned in quite a few reviews and also applied to our experience but mostly during the hours after breakfast and before dinner. Our room was located directly under the pool café so we would be woken each morning at 0730 when they start moving the furniture so I would recommend to avoid this particular section of the hotel for people that want to sleep in. The rooms seem well isolated as we didn’t experience any noise from outside or neighboring rooms.
Breakfast wasn't a great experience. The selection itself is sufficient but the real problem is the abysmal service; there is only 1 coffee machine and staff that are supposed to serve coffee are mostly nowhere to be seen (with the notable exception of Florin and Joseph). I tried the omelet on first day and it’s the worse I ever had, 2 days later with a different cook I tried again and it wasn’t much better. Overall this part has been a very poor experience for all of our 6 days.
The private beach is closeby and although small very nice; however due to construction works nearby it’s impossible to relax on working days. The service at the beach as well as at the pool is good; the only downside of the pool is that smoking is allowed (despite the hotel claiming to provide a smoke-free environment), otherwise there are sufficient number of sun beds. The gym is very large and the indoor pool, sauna and steam room are great.
The hotel is in walking distance of cafes and restaurants around the bay and there is a shopping complex and cinema opposite to it. A small supermarket can be found just up the street with many pubs around the corner; a bigger supermarket is approx 10 minutes walk following the road passing the private beach. In terms of shops Sliema, 10 minutes by bus, has a wider selection and this is also the departure point for ferries.
All in all I would try another hotel in Malta on my next visit
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta