InterContinental Malta
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Argento Hotel(Saint Julian's)
US$263
US$269
US$259
  • Pool
The George Hotel(Saint Julian's)
US$237
US$221
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Le Meridien St. Julians(Saint Julian's)
US$255
US$231
Rokna(Saint Julian's)(Great Value!)
US$99
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
4,227 results
All reviewsthe club loungeprivate beachparanga restaurantal frescoindoor poolbeach bardiamond resortsbuilding workbars and clubspre dinner drinksst juliansbusy areanight lifehotel restaurantsbay streetlarge hotelyoung people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A friend and I recently just got back to the US after having stayed at the Intercontinental in Malta for a week. I found the Intercontinental Malta relatively consistent with the couple of others (NY, Puerto Aventura) within the franchise that I have stayed at. Rooms, and property above to even slightly above average to others of its class. A couple of stand-outs at this resort: 1. concierge: Robert and 2. gym. 1. Robert provided excellent recommendations on what to do and where to go. Moreover, Robert was resourceful with time and options in helping us balance and achieve different excursion preferences. 2. Gym was excellent - full service with many treadmills and machines (not the usual handful that's tucked into a closet sized room).

BTW:
a. the private beach associated with the hotel is literally steps away - it may be even closer than some others on more sprawling beachfront properties
b. interior room is probably the way to go to avoid the noise from the maddening crowds on the steps

Overall, I think the Intercontinental is a great option for a vacation in Malta.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caroline L
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just got back from a five day break at the Intercontinental in Malta. We were uncertain whether the hotel would live up to expectations as its location is in a busy area. We found it a really good hotel with excellent staff who bent over backwards to help. The concierge staff could not have been more helpful getting our car on a instant notice. The garden and the pool are a bit of an oasis and if you don't want to be disturbed by the sound of laughter from the kids playing in the pool- then take a sun-bed away from the pool and enjoy the sun going down with a cocktail. The biscuit restaurant had some excellent food and my kids enjoyed the freedom of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank paulwarrington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've stayed at this hotel in July 2014 and it was an awesome experience. In this review has the following sections: the rooms (it is a hotel after all), where the magic happens, private beach and they contain 2 sections: what i like and what i didn't like. (I know it's long but there are a lot of facts worth mentioning)

First, the ROOMS were great. They had both a shower and a bathtub and the beds were very comfortable, big and fluffy. The housekeeping services were good, the staff was friendly and did a good job. What I didn't like, though, was the fact that when I removed some of the items in the fridge to make some space, even though I didn't consume any of it, it was put on my tab. The front desk was understanding, though, and the lady there solved the problem.

Now about WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS. I was absolutely AMAZED about the quality of service offered in several sections i interacted with in this hotel. The places where I perceived this most acutely were the restaurants. The best rated between these was WATERBISCUIT: we were served by Khodor, Lucian and a girl whose name I didn't remember. These people were AWESOME! They collaborated very well to get the job done, were very well mannered and offered great conversation and advice (about the food, places to visit etc.) without at any moment becoming tiring (which is hard to do as it is a fine line between these to stages). Really loved these guys, they made the whole experience ten times better. Second rated was HARUBA: here we went for breakfast every day of our stay. Again, everybody was awesome, pleasant, smiling and efficient all the time. Here, one guy who stood up was Florin. He served our table about three-four days and besides doing his job very well, he was friendly, patient and gave great advice. In fact, he was the one that made a reservation for us at Waterbiscuit for dinner which lead to a great experience (he also picked great seats there). He also offered very good advice about other places as well and all in all made a pleasant start of the day each time we met. Also I was amazed of how friendly and patient the cooks at the omlet/fried eggs/pancakes section were. PARANGA was another restaurant, organised right on the private beach of the hotel. Here the food was great, good selection and people very friendly as well. THE GARDEN RESTAURANT is situated on the 7th floor and it is very good looking. What I really liked about this one is the fact that it organizes good shows every night with live music. The services were good but the food options are limited.

Other places worth mentioning is terms of service offered was the desk for town-related information at the entrance. The guy there was efficient and pleasant. Gave very good advice that came handy later on.

To all the guys mentioned in this section: GREAT JOB, keep it up! To the staff in these places in general, I have never, and i mean, never seen people being so dedicated to what they are doing or a team working so good together and also being so friendly all the time without becoming pressing at some point.

THE PRIVATE BEACH: at first I wasn't too thrilled about it (I saw it at a distance) because it seemed small and unlike a "real beach". But I went there on the first day and kept on returning almost each day. It is very much like a real beach up close and offered a very pleasant and relaxing time. Water was clean and the sand was nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked a suite over last weekend 25th July . Driving up to the hotel one seriously wonders whether one has arrived in magaluf ( a plethora of vile shops and bars line the street ) or in the erroneously described quiet and picturesque st Julian's we had a lot of luggage as well as a child in a wheelchair but no one assisted with unloading the car or the luggage. Check in a complete shambles we had been on the go since 0630 and were made to wait til around 4.30pm in addition I accidentally left a quite expensive jacket in the Carisa lounge which either one of the guests or staff must have picked up. No one willing to help me find out what happened to it. The exec lounge on 15th floor is good value for happy hour. On check out they tried to charge us 100 euros for dinner on two evenings that we did not have check out took over an hour. No one to assist with bags until I met a porter on the way out and asked him to help. Next time we will be more choosy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The InterContinental is a 500-room hotel about one block from the beach in St Julian. It has 2 sections: north and south. We stayed in the south section which has about 15 floors. The hotel is wrapped around the pool and the gardens. The inside-facing rooms have the pool and garden views, while the outside-facing rooms have the street view.

When we arrived, our inside-facing room was not ready, so I was tricked by a receptionist into accepting an outside-facing room instead. The view we had is shown in one of the photos. These are the rooms with an odd number below 40, i.e 1325. When I complained about this situation, the night shift supervisor in reception was extremely gracious and he made it right.

The hotel staff is, by and large, very professional, courteous and dedicated: front desk, concierge, housekeeping, at the restaurants, beach, etc but not exempt from a bad apple.

The hotel is one block from the beach, right in the middle of all the action in St Julian's. In spite of this, the outside-facing rooms are very quiet. The pool is on the 10th floor. You can see the ocean from the pool grounds. There were lots of kids in the pool.

The private beach is small, but it was the only sand beach we saw in the surrounding areas. The public section of the beach gets very crowded, so the private beach looks comfortable and with ample room by comparison. The beach closes at 6PM, as they set up a restaurant in the same space.

The hotel has several restaurants. Breakfast was served in the garden on the 7th floor. Breakfast was very good and the service excellent. Their beach restaurant "Paranga" was excellent, the best we tried in the trip.

The deluxe rooms are modern, nice and large. bathroom has separate bathtub and shower cabin. Housekeeping does a good job.

If your travels take you to Malta, the InterContinental is a very good option

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple