“You will not be disappointed!”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 15 June 2009

After becoming armchair experts after having consulted just about every review on hotels based bn Sliema and St Juliens, we finally decided upon the Intercontinental and I am so glad we did. Travelling in February, the weather could not be predicted so we decided upon a Club level room so we would have indoor alternatives ie Club lounge access, should the weather be disappointing during our three night stay. From the moment we made the booking via Mariam directly at the hotel (where we received the same prepaid rate we could book online via websites) to the moment we checked out, I have nothing but the highest accolades to give all of the staff we came into contact with, giving special mentions to Tine, Clara, Ivana, Evelina, Sofia in Club lounge and Club check-in and not forgetting Joey and his made-to-order eggs in the buffet breakfast restaurant. Our room (1330?) was perfectly located, looking over the pool and green areas and certainly very quiet. Be sure to open the curved part of your desk to discover the jug and cups discreetly placed there! We are well travelled and this bathroom was huge by any standards with a separate bath and large shower with an abundance of hot water with wonderful pressure. It was incredibly well designed with a great amount of space to place your toiletries. The shampoos, conditioners and hand/body lotions were among the most luxurious I have ever had the pleasure of using in a hotel and they were replenished in abundance every day - yes, my weakness is travel size hotel toiletries! The room cleaning was of a high standard, absolutely no complaints. The Club lounge was a wonderful oasis and extremely quiet when we were there due out of tourist season so it was wonderful to go in early and sit there with a cup of coffee and a borrowed book from their library and read quietly while the rest of the family were getting ready. We could have eaten a continental breakfast in the lounge but we had the buffet breakfast included in our prepaid rate of EUR105 a night and it was the best breakfast buffet I have witnessed anywhere with heaps of different stations and a huge variety of foods on offer. The seating area was huge, seats 700 I think, and the seating booths were comfortable and relaxing. It was quite busy as we ended up being there for the immensely popular annual festival but did not feel over-crowded and food was constantly replenished when required. Back to the Club lounge, the different types of coffee and tea on offer (all day) were amazing! We hit a day of rainy weather so it was enjoyable being there and playing a board game we had with us together with the children and having tea/coffee/cold drinks 'on tap'. The computers available there were handy for online checkin and printing of boarding passes. We ate at the Asian restaurant within the hotel and would highly recommend it but the portions are rather delicate, as has been mentioned in some earlier reviews so it is not as cheap as you might think at first glance because you definitely need more than one dish to stop the tunny grumbling! Some reviews have previously written about the location of the hotel but I have to say we thought it was perfect and I am so glad we chose it over the much lesser attractive Sliema area. There are a number of language schools nearby and also a lively bar/disco area tucked away in the side streets and I can imagine it is quite lively in those areas in the high season. But you can easily avoid that area and opt for the shopping mall directly across the road which offers some great dining alternatives and a number of spots to shop, mainly clothing. There is also a cinema and an indoor bowling alley within two minutes from the hotel by foot. There is a bus terminal behind the hotel and it cost just 47 cents to get to Valletta and it was a great sightseeing tour along the waterfront! We also took the bus from Valletta to the airport, providing another extremely affordable sightseeing journey! All in all, we were extremely pleased with our brief stay at the Intercontinental and I would definitely recommend that you allow yourselves the affordable luxury of the Club level for all of the bonuses it offers. If I have to say something negative about the hotel, it would be the same I say about every hotel with a jacuzzi and that is that they are never, ever warm enough!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jc63Stockholm
Write a ReviewReviews (4,164)

Reviewed 15 June 2009

Me and 12 others,including a young child, a teenager, parents, drinkers, culturists and 3 birthdays (2 the same), stayed at club level on the 13th floor. The rooms were all very nice and well equipped, with air conditioning and tv with various different languages. Some of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked, and the shower door always dripped onto the floor when you opened it, which made the floor very slippery. The shower also had a tendency to go very hot. The bath was good, as was the sink and storage. I had a room with 2 double beds: very comfortable. The balcony was a comfortable space with 2 chairs, however some rooms had limited views. The terrace pool was warm, which was nice, and there were plenty of padded loungers. The indoor pool I went in once, and it could do with being a little bit deeper and better lit so that it is easier to swim. We had acess to the club lounge,which was definatly a good choice and I will take this chance to mention that all the staff were very kind, helpful and spoke good English;I also heard them talking in a number of other European languages,definatly German. There were not lots of loud people in the hotel, to our relief, the vast majority of guests were from nearby Italy, and there were also quite a few Germans. We mainly ate out to enjoy the local culture, but I once ate at the poolside bar, which was a rip off and not very warm and also the ice creams were not solid, also at the Carissa bar, where we sat outside in the beautiful gardens and ate very nice food. Some of us also tried the Eastern Breeze resturaunt, which had a good selection of food. We all ate out for the twins birthday, at the paranga resturaunt right on the water, which was owned by the hotel. It was very good food. If you choose to eat out, I reccomend the Angler's Rest on the other side of the beach, which has delicious fish. I would also reccomend having at least 1 day out, and visiting the beautiful town on Mdina, like some did for the lacemarket on 7th June, or where we all went, Valetta. You should get a ferry from Sliema to Valetta/Valetta to Sliema so you can see the beautiful harbour in Valetta. We got a bus from St. Julians (very near the hotel, comes every 5 mins and only costs 1euro,20 mins), to Valetta, then got the ferry from Valetta to Sliema (10 mins) and the bus from Sliema back to St. Julians (5-10 mins). It is only a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. The buses were hot, but were an experience and good when the bus hadnt stopped. The Maltese are very erratic drivers, so be very careful crossing roads, and there is not alot of health and safety there either. The beach is ok, and the water gets clearer when you get further out, ie. past the swimmers bouys. Right by the shoreline however, the water is cloudy and has cigerettes and lollipop sticks in it, which is not very pleasent. A pedlo boat for 1 hour for up to 4 people costs 7euros! I reccomend it as you dont go out of the bay so it is easy, and you can jump out and easily get back in after swimming in the blue waters. Oh yes-remember your suncream, it was hot and there was a UV of 11 even this early in June!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank iloveengland202
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Just came back from the IC Malta where I spent a week with my best friend. We booked a club room on one of the executive floors and the service was just amazing. The room itself was really great, well-furbished and quiet, overlooking the outdoor pool. Two queen beds with fantastic pillows ;-), big shower place and separate bathtub in the bathroom, nice balcony eventhough the furniture there needs a little refreshment. What you get when you book a club room in worth the price : free breakfast at the executive lounge, free drinks during the days, free pre-dinner drinks and food, free internet access. For 139 € per night (internet rate/paiement in advance). It's a perfect deal. Especially if you add to that, the facilities of the place : the outdoor pool, indoor pool, oversized fitness center, beach club very close to the hotel (2 minutes walk). We also tried the beauty salon, which offers a full range of massages and beauty treatments. Not the best I've tried so far, but, efficient. We got a full body massage for 62 € to give you an example of the prices.
Concerning the surroundings, it's true that the hotel couldn't be closer to bars, restaurants, shopping mall, bowling, cinemas, casino... The noise can be annoying if you have a street view room which was not our case. But if you're looking for a place to stay near the night life and animation, the IC is definitely the place to go to.
My friend and I were looking for luxurious and relaxing vacations, but needed to be able to walk to bars and cinemas to go out once in a while. That's exactly what we got at the IC. :-)

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Steph001
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My husband, 6-month-old son and I spent one fabulous week at Intercontinental Malta. We booked with Interval International a one-bedroom suite at Diamond Resort – a “hotel-in-a-hotel” inside the Intercontinental (floor 5 to 9 of north pavillon). Based on the previous reviews on TA, and having a small child with me who needed a quiet atmosphere, I phoned the Interconti to have a garden view room – and so it was, we were given suite number 573.
Our suite, on the 5th floor, was spacious and enough luxurious, though the furniture needed a little update. We had one big bedroom with a huge and extra comfortable king size bed, two large bathrooms, a big living room and partial kitchen – which was very useful to us to feed our baby boy. The best feature of the suite was the balcony, overlooking the hotel’s tropical garden. We also had a small private pool with fishes, which my baby loved so much. The balcony was really quiet, that was exactly what we were looking for. My husband could spend some pleasant time working and reading and our little son loved playing there.
The maid made a really good job and the room was kept very clean during our stay.
We used many facilities of the hotel. First of all, we liked the outdoor swimming pool on the 10th floor, though it was pretty old too (well, all the hotel shows its age actually). One thing I did not like is that you had a “beach and pool towel token” per person to get one and only one towel… well, I would have asked for some more towels, since I had a little baby with me too. The indoor pool was also nice and enough big to swim. There was also a small whirlpool. The fitness centre was just amazing – I think it is the biggest hotel gym I had ever seen in my life.
The hotel had also a nice beach club which was just step from the hotel – yes, REALLY steps from the hotel. The area is peaceful and the sea water clear.
We also tried a couple of restaurant, Al Fresco on the 7th floor and the Easter Breeze on the 5th floor. Both were pretty good.
My husband used the business centre because he needed the internet connection so he bought a 24-hour token (24 hours of connection… not one day) for € 19,00 but unfortunately the wireless signal didn’t work well from our room, so he needed to stay at the reception or in the garden to use it.
In the end, we really enjoyed this hotel, though the building is pretty old and would need restoring. It is not as luxurious as other IC properties I’ve seen in the past. The hotel is “in the centre of the action”, so if you want a quiet room as we wanted do not forget to ask for a garden view room.
I would stay at this hotel again, though the nearby Westin Dragonara and the Hilton seem newer and much luxurious. But I guess they are much more expensive than the Interconti!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Francesca-DM
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We arrived and were warmly welcomed but the first thing we noticed was the hotel is based next to a bunch of noisey bars, building works opposite and the entrance to a shopping mall and a Mcdonalds! Anyway getting over that, when we checked in (which was very pleasent) we were told our room wasnt ready but the would give us another room to relax in or change. The room once again opened on to Mcdonalds and smelt of a smoker and was quite dark. However when we wereshown to our suite on the exec floor this was very large, airy, bright, clean and over looking the pool, so point one check what room youare getting, I feel they go from one extreme to another. We used the exec lounge all week and service was brillant. Children were allowed in to the exec lounge, its just a shame some guests didnt keep their own children under control as I feel the staff found it awkward to say anything. The pool isnt child friendly either. We had our 12 year old son who got quite bored and also when he ordered an ice cream from the bar, they wouldnt let him sign for it or bring me the bill, the waiter had to escort him as to ensure that the bill would get signed. Also be careful of the bar by the poo, they tried to charge me anything from 4 - 6 euros for the same bottle of water on various days, the menu is limited and never had any ice creams in for the children for 4 days. The pool is quite cold and small, not something I would recommend duing peak times. The hotel has a private beach which is 3 minutes away, you need to cross a main road and pass shops etc to get there. Its small but allows you to sit on the beach. We also ate at the hotels Asian restuarant which I would highly recommend, great service, great food but we ate at the main restaurant over looking the beach, that was a no no ! Almost two different types of service, the food took over an hour to come out and then turned up cold... So all in all, a clean hotel, very pleasent staff, very large hotel with plenty of bars and restuarants to get lost in ( and has a great well equppied gym) felt quite closed in as you were surronded by bars, shops etc.... ideal for a couple.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank keegan d
Reviewed 20 May 2009

4 of us stayed here over a long weekend, we stayed club level so had the advantage of club level check in and use of lounge, with breakfast, snacks and drinks during the day, also use of internet and printers, very handy for e-check in for flight home. The rooms were a good size and very clean, beds comfortable, bathroom well stocked. And both rooms with a view over the pool to the sea. Very good facilities at the hotel, and a nearby beach club 2 minutes walk away.
All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and courteous.

Hotel is in a good location, bars and restaurants just minutes away, 2 minutes from the sea, taxis out front and a bus stop less than 5 minutes away. Taxi from the airport is approx 18€.

The only negatives (i'm being picky here) faded old chairs on the room balconies, prices for mini bar and pay tv extortionate, especially as Malta is an inexpensive island.

All in all, a good stay and i would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank Zuribob
Reviewed 16 May 2009

Couldn't fault the hotel or the very friendly staff who seemed always willing to help but occasionally the concierge was too busy to be available. The facilities in the hotel, pools etc. are excellent, just didn't have to enjoy them as we were busy taking in the outside. The rooms are comfortable and cleaned well, only the bathroom was showing some signed of age around the shower. The breakfast is good with plenty of choice, we missed it first 3 days thinking it wasn't included from the website, so please check out. The restaurants offer a good choice and there is a god lunch salad in the entrance lounge. There are plenty of eating places but the choice is limited unless you like Italian all the time.
The people are the most friendly I have seen anywhere and all speak good English. Incidentally driving is also simple as most keep to the rules but the roads are bumpy.
Thoroughly recommend the hotel and the venue.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#6 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!