After becoming armchair experts after having consulted just about every review on hotels based bn Sliema and St Juliens, we finally decided upon the Intercontinental and I am so glad we did. Travelling in February, the weather could not be predicted so we decided upon a Club level room so we would have indoor alternatives ie Club lounge access, should the weather be disappointing during our three night stay. From the moment we made the booking via Mariam directly at the hotel (where we received the same prepaid rate we could book online via websites) to the moment we checked out, I have nothing but the highest accolades to give all of the staff we came into contact with, giving special mentions to Tine, Clara, Ivana, Evelina, Sofia in Club lounge and Club check-in and not forgetting Joey and his made-to-order eggs in the buffet breakfast restaurant. Our room (1330?) was perfectly located, looking over the pool and green areas and certainly very quiet. Be sure to open the curved part of your desk to discover the jug and cups discreetly placed there! We are well travelled and this bathroom was huge by any standards with a separate bath and large shower with an abundance of hot water with wonderful pressure. It was incredibly well designed with a great amount of space to place your toiletries. The shampoos, conditioners and hand/body lotions were among the most luxurious I have ever had the pleasure of using in a hotel and they were replenished in abundance every day - yes, my weakness is travel size hotel toiletries! The room cleaning was of a high standard, absolutely no complaints. The Club lounge was a wonderful oasis and extremely quiet when we were there due out of tourist season so it was wonderful to go in early and sit there with a cup of coffee and a borrowed book from their library and read quietly while the rest of the family were getting ready. We could have eaten a continental breakfast in the lounge but we had the buffet breakfast included in our prepaid rate of EUR105 a night and it was the best breakfast buffet I have witnessed anywhere with heaps of different stations and a huge variety of foods on offer. The seating area was huge, seats 700 I think, and the seating booths were comfortable and relaxing. It was quite busy as we ended up being there for the immensely popular annual festival but did not feel over-crowded and food was constantly replenished when required. Back to the Club lounge, the different types of coffee and tea on offer (all day) were amazing! We hit a day of rainy weather so it was enjoyable being there and playing a board game we had with us together with the children and having tea/coffee/cold drinks 'on tap'. The computers available there were handy for online checkin and printing of boarding passes. We ate at the Asian restaurant within the hotel and would highly recommend it but the portions are rather delicate, as has been mentioned in some earlier reviews so it is not as cheap as you might think at first glance because you definitely need more than one dish to stop the tunny grumbling! Some reviews have previously written about the location of the hotel but I have to say we thought it was perfect and I am so glad we chose it over the much lesser attractive Sliema area. There are a number of language schools nearby and also a lively bar/disco area tucked away in the side streets and I can imagine it is quite lively in those areas in the high season. But you can easily avoid that area and opt for the shopping mall directly across the road which offers some great dining alternatives and a number of spots to shop, mainly clothing. There is also a cinema and an indoor bowling alley within two minutes from the hotel by foot. There is a bus terminal behind the hotel and it cost just 47 cents to get to Valletta and it was a great sightseeing tour along the waterfront! We also took the bus from Valletta to the airport, providing another extremely affordable sightseeing journey! All in all, we were extremely pleased with our brief stay at the Intercontinental and I would definitely recommend that you allow yourselves the affordable luxury of the Club level for all of the bonuses it offers. If I have to say something negative about the hotel, it would be the same I say about every hotel with a jacuzzi and that is that they are never, ever warm enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta