“Ava's first holiday abroad - a wonderful experience”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Ava's first holiday abroad - a wonderful experience”
Reviewed 7 April 2011

For my daughter Ava's first overseas holiday (she is not quite two), my wife and I decided to travel to the beautiful island of Malta. After rather a lot of looking around at hotels on the web, we chose Le Meridien in St. Julians. How glad we are that we did! This is a wonderful place to stay - amazing location, superb rooms, excellent service, and one of the best buffet breakfasts I have ever tasted! Yes, there were a few (minor) bad points - for example, on our first night, the door to our balcony was broken, and it took a while for us to change rooms - but any problems we encountered were sorted out quickly and helpfully. I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel. The room was superb, the bath and shower were wonderful, the location was amazing, and, as I said, the breakfast options were brilliant. I note that some other reviewers have commented that the service at the hotel is a bit reserved / unfriendly - all I can say is that we certainly didn't find that to be the case. Admittedly, the hotel has quite a serious, business-like quality to it, but that does not mean that the staff are unfriendly. All the staff we met were extremely polite, helpful and efficient - they even helped us out when we were struggling to fit our daughter's car seat (thanks Christian!). So, overall, if you are looking to visit Malta and want to stay in a delightful hotel in a beautiful resort, look no further than Le Meridien St. Julians. If we ever return to Malta, we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: The 14 euro cold buffet breakfast is superb!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We just spent a week at this hotel and were quite pleased. After a late arrival we had a very friendly welcome at the reception and got to our first room on the eighth floor. Unfortunately, the room was very warm and that might have caused the bad smell in the bathroom. When we went back down and told them about it, they were able to give us a somewhat larger room on the eleventh floor, but this time with just a standing room only balcony. However it didn’t smell, and since we still could get some air from the balcony we were ok with this. I agree with others that mention that it would be nice if there were two comfortable chairs in the room, we “fought” for the chair watching TV...

Since it was getting late and we didn’t want to walk too far, we did try their Saturday night seafood buffet with free flowing wine, and we both enjoyed that. The service was a bit slow on pouring more wine, but other wise fine. They seemed to cut the staff a bit short in the evening, something we noticed again on another night where we again used the buffet. The staff seemed to work quite well, so it was more a question of how much they could manage. We went for dinner in the Villa restaurant once, and the food was ok, but the waiters could have been better. We enjoyed several meals at Zeppi’s across the park much more.

Breakfast was great; we both loved getting our specially made omelet with a large choice of possible fillings from the friendly cook in the morning. There was also a good selection hot breakfast items, even if I didn’t think the pancakes and maple syrup was quite up to American standard. But there were also cheeses and cold cuts, vegetables, fruits and yoghurt, cereals, pain au chocolat, croissants, other cakes and what I think was porridge most of the week. Quite a few different types of rolls and breads, but nothing really whole grain as far as I could tell. Large selection of juices, water and even sparkling wine. Coffee and tea was served as well as special orders of espresso, cappuccino or cafe latte. The young lady that showed us our table several mornings was very nice, I’m afraid I don’t remember her name.

My husband loved the indoor pool and went doing his laps every morning. It was a bit warmer that he is used to, but then again, it was also good for me who loves a well heated pool to linger around in. He also enjoyed the steam room and even more so the sauna after he found the cold water pit. I did enjoy a massage at the spa as well, but my husband was not quite as satisfied with his pedicure, he has had a better job done other places.

We enjoyed the free internet in the lobby area (Password at the reception), having brought our own computer to check up on mail and get some other work done. The Kudeta bar was a good place for a quiet drink and even for a quick meal. We enjoyed both some pasta and some pizza at two occasions.

The elevators were sometimes a bit slow, and at times we were taken down when we wanted to go up because someone on another floor had been quicker to press a button than us. But most of the time it was not a big problem. We both got a kick out of all the different nature sounds they had in there

Other than one day where they were on the late side, we found our room well cleaned every day. When we needed help to use the fridge for a personal item, service was quick and helpful. (We didn’t want any false charges and asked for help since they seem to have an automated system for the mini bar.)

We did not have any problems with the staff and found them quite friendly most of the time. My husband had fun finding out where they all came from and it was quite an international staff. We had a late flight, and were quite pleased that we could use the facilities at the spa even after we checked out.

1 Thank polarlady
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I have just returned from my 3rd stay at Le Meridien. I have to say that I have read some of the more negative reviews and just do not agree. The staff have always been friendly and professional and have they have always answered any questions that I may have had.

The rooms are clean and large and I have experienced 3 different room types and all have been great.

My previous stay was in June 2010, when I married my now husband in Malta. I did not have my reception at the hotel, but returned there for drinks after the service. The staff were absolutely great and made ourselves and our guest very welcome and made it special for us. A big thank you to Antony our barman who was wonderful!

I think the spa area is wonderfully relaxing and has a great selection of treatments if you want them. However just relaxing by the pool gives you that luxury feeling, when it is warm enough the rooftop pool is fantastic, as are the views.

Breakfasts are a great selection that you can have something different every day and not get bored. Also the restaurants serve quality food at not the usual 5 star price. There is a happy hour every evening from 6 pm, so you can start your evening with a half price cocktail.

For me the location is great, if you want to get around there is a bus stop out the front of the hotel and the buses are so cheap and lets just say an experience. Eating out in the evening you have a really great selection of restaurants on your doorstep.

I have recommended the hotel to friends and family and they have all loved it and as
I said in the title - I will be going back - love it!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hatt-away
Bristol
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a long weekend and we had a brilliant time. The hotel was clean and spacious with lovely communal areas and places to sit. The pool on the roof terrace was lovely. The staff were helpful and professional, and the breakfast was excellent with an amazing selection of food of good quality.

Our room was spacious and comfortable. We had a room on 9th floor which looked out to the back of the hotel. Although we didn't have a sea view, we had a balcony which faced West so we had the lovely sun in the afternoon and evening. Being so high up, and away from the main road it was also very quiet. The bed was large and comfortable and there was everything in the room you would expect from a hotel of this class - tea and coffee, hairdryer, ironing board, robes etc. The only downside was that the room was really hot. We tried and failed to work the air conditioning. Opening the balcony doors was a good solution, but I wasn't keen on having them open at night, so as a result the room got very stuffy.

We used the spa every day and thought it was lovely. The pool was nice and warm and we enjoyed the sauna and steam room and even the plunge pool!

Malta is a lovely place - there's so much to see and do. The location of the hotel is good for both St Julians and Sliema, although it's actually in a fairly quiet place which is good. It's near to the restaurants in Spinola Bay where we ate most nights. There seem to be quite a few good restaurants in the area which was a pleasant suprise.

I would definitely return

1 Thank alicia148
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We chose this hotel having been to Malta before to celebrate our 50th brithdays on a package basis with breakfast included knowing its location and being billed as in the top group in the area.I can only tend to go on the lines of the reviews of Apavalley & Downland about our experiences .
I don"t know about other poeple but to me a first impression is a lasting impression and there is something missing about this hotel which is difficult to identify from the moment you walk in the door , its unremarkable & featureless for starters , a strange atmosphere and no one to greet/welcome/assist or help along with the fact there is just nothing to capture the imagination or stun you ! This could be something to do with it !
Getting past this , breakfast had something for everyone but if there was a conference or seminar on, shortages occured with both food and staff because as always , they grab everything with the staff going out of their way flapping around them like no tommorrow as is very common in my experiences of large hotels is and tend to forget about their paying guests which is annoying.The previous reviews were right , the staff do seem to be almost afraid of people and do seem rather dis-jointed/unco-ordintated .One thing i did note that some on the surfaces in the resturant were filthy , you could write you name as they were so laden in dust so which only concludes a lack of care which was eveident .
We had a room facing the bay on the fith floor with a balcony which by european standards was large and spacious brightly decorated which provided excellent views and was kept spotless eveyday , a rather quirky thing was a seperate toilet which was very small .
The location is excellent with a bus stop just outside making it easy to get about with St Julians a few minutes walk away or Silema the other way .
Overall our stay had a lot of expectations but this hotel just needs a little something to make you feel more welcomed .

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I have stayed at the Le Meridien several times along with other hotels close by and without a doubt I know it is far better than others I have stayed at. Usually it is business reasons that I visit Malta but on a couple of occasions, this being one, my wife has travelled with me. We found the buffet breakfast very good with an excellent choice of food. Our room overlooking Balluta Bay was spot on for a relaxing stay for my wife and idea for me as a business visitor, the shower and bathroom facilities ensured we were refreshed every day. I didn’t want to get out of the shower. Having a room on a high floor we were dependent on the lifts and these worked very well with no waiting even at busy times. Some reviews mention the slowness of staff coming forward, well all we can say is talk to them they fully engaged in a professional manner with us.
I am very likely to visit Malta again soon and I will definitely stay at Le Meridien.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KeenTraveller64
London & Kent
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Can't really improve on the review by 'downland' - it's fair and it's true. Nothing really bad about the hotel, but nothing to rave about either; hotel certainly let down by staff attitude, it's almost as if they are frightened in some way and certainly don't go out of their way to be warm and friendly except in a totally over the top - and eventually embarrassing - way. For example, it's a real no-no to say "You're welcome" a dozen or more times whilst pouring coffee at breakfast !

Breakfast, yes, has an excellent buffet selection but the quality of the items is sometimes a bit questionable. This is even more so at the evening dinner buffet, when it all got a bit repetitive. The Sirocco is a lovely restaurant for breakfast, but has no atmosphere for dinner; some people probably appreciate being in and out in 30 minutes, but most, surely, like to linger a little, to take it slowly and to unwind after the day. The staff have no conception of this, they crowd you on top of each other - in a big and almost empty restaurant - and then rush, rush, rush they clear your plates away sometimes even before you have finished eating.

The comments about the weekly reception certainly struck a chord. Our invitation said 6 pm. We went at 6pm. There were trays of drinks already poured on the bar, and trays of canapes already prepared. We waited until 6.10, nothing was offered - though barman did say "Management will be here soon" - so we did not wait any longer.

Hotel mis-sold when described as built 'in' the garden of an old house; it is built 'on' that garden plot, occupying it all, so that there is no outside garden space at ground level except for a shrub or two.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and write a detailed review about your stay with us.

I would like to also take this opportunity to apologize for the disappointment you seem to have suffered. We have shared your constructive feed-back with all departments involved and with our Human Resources Department.
Rest assured that we will investigate further and that any necessary action will be taken to rectify the shortcomings you’ve kindly highlighted.

Should you wish to contact us directly to give us some more insights about your experience and possibly to give us the chance to turn around your impression of our property, please do not hesitate to do so. Our guests’ feed-back is extremely important and valuable to us.

Many thanks once again and kind regards,
Angela Saliba
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,823 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!