It all started well - lovely foyer, a refreshing drink on arrival, a nicely sized room with all the things you expect. Sleep was fine also, and breakfast was pleasant - although I've had better in Malta at 4 star Preluna hotel.
This hotel was advertised as having a relaxing indoor pool/spa area - hence I chose to go there - it was winter, raining, not much to do outside in Malta.
With much anticipation I went down to the pool with my wife - everything looked pleasant enough. After an hour or so I found the room to be very cold - the air con was on and it was 9 degrees outside - not the best match. The steam room didn't really function as a steam room, there was steam, but the marble benches were freezing, the room in general was freezing. All in all, the rest of the facilities barely match up to my local gym, never mind a 5 star hotel claiming to have a spa. The Fortina in Malta has a spa - it makes this one look like a bathroom.
'Peaceful and relaxing' - so said the brochure - low and behold I find myself being woken up by babies crying - I don't hate children - but I didn't go to this hotel for a family holiday and I've never been in a 'spa' that allowed under 16s.
I returned to my room at about 4pm - it hadn't been cleaned - again, I've never been to a hotel claiming to be 5 star and not had it cleaned and linen replaced before 12 - sometimes pm - but usually, as an industry standard, I expect things done in the morning, when I'm out. This happened the next day also, at which point I complained.
This brings me on to the next problem at this hotel - staff - if you work in a hotel, and don't like your job, you don't get to tell the guests about it - the concierge was rude, blunt and offended that I had asked for my room to be cleaned earlier. Management got in contact later - the room was now going to be cleaned earlier - the other spa issues were brushed off, she said they operate a family policy and she was sorry if I misinterpreted their literature.
I am never going to this hotel again, I would encourage others to look at alternatives - I am willing to bet that this hotel performs better during the summer months when it isn't a ghost town and has proper staff on, but the time of year is no excuse for their performance. Furthermore, I have stayed at most of the hotels in Malta over the years - for a spa experience, as mentioned, the Fortina is superior; this hotel has no right to charge what it does, nor does it have the right to claim to be 5 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa in Malta is located within the bustling, cosmopolitan neighbourhood of St. Julians, offering plenty of entertainment and tranquility located along the seafront promenade. Enjoying excellent views, our hotel is an architectural gem, offering elegance with the relaxed feel luxury, boutique hotel in the Mediterranean. Enjoy international cuisine, accompanied by a refined selection of world wines, and take your coffee al fresco on the splendid terrace. Awaken your senses at the MyoKa spa and float in our tropical indoor pool where you will be revived by aromatherapy secrets from around the world Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa offers a relaxing ambiance for business travelers, families and couples. On the first floor of the premises, the meeting planner will discover a practical and modern background for their project, with an entire floor dedicated to business events. Free WIFI in the guest rooms as well as the public areas, indoor and outdoor pools (weather permitting)and 24h Guest service available via telephone and whatsapp/blackberry messenger. Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa is part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Prestigia, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien St. Julians reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Meridien St Julians
- Le Meridien Malta
- Le Meridien Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Le Meridien
- Le Meridien St. Julians Malta