“Appalling staff attitude, not a good spa, not remotely worth the price.”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 25 April 2011

It all started well - lovely foyer, a refreshing drink on arrival, a nicely sized room with all the things you expect. Sleep was fine also, and breakfast was pleasant - although I've had better in Malta at 4 star Preluna hotel.

This hotel was advertised as having a relaxing indoor pool/spa area - hence I chose to go there - it was winter, raining, not much to do outside in Malta.

With much anticipation I went down to the pool with my wife - everything looked pleasant enough. After an hour or so I found the room to be very cold - the air con was on and it was 9 degrees outside - not the best match. The steam room didn't really function as a steam room, there was steam, but the marble benches were freezing, the room in general was freezing. All in all, the rest of the facilities barely match up to my local gym, never mind a 5 star hotel claiming to have a spa. The Fortina in Malta has a spa - it makes this one look like a bathroom.

'Peaceful and relaxing' - so said the brochure - low and behold I find myself being woken up by babies crying - I don't hate children - but I didn't go to this hotel for a family holiday and I've never been in a 'spa' that allowed under 16s.

I returned to my room at about 4pm - it hadn't been cleaned - again, I've never been to a hotel claiming to be 5 star and not had it cleaned and linen replaced before 12 - sometimes pm - but usually, as an industry standard, I expect things done in the morning, when I'm out. This happened the next day also, at which point I complained.

This brings me on to the next problem at this hotel - staff - if you work in a hotel, and don't like your job, you don't get to tell the guests about it - the concierge was rude, blunt and offended that I had asked for my room to be cleaned earlier. Management got in contact later - the room was now going to be cleaned earlier - the other spa issues were brushed off, she said they operate a family policy and she was sorry if I misinterpreted their literature.

I am never going to this hotel again, I would encourage others to look at alternatives - I am willing to bet that this hotel performs better during the summer months when it isn't a ghost town and has proper staff on, but the time of year is no excuse for their performance. Furthermore, I have stayed at most of the hotels in Malta over the years - for a spa experience, as mentioned, the Fortina is superior; this hotel has no right to charge what it does, nor does it have the right to claim to be 5 star.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Epsilon_to_Centauri
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feed-back on Tripadvisor. I have personally gone through your review and I am indeed very disappointed that our property fell short of your expectations.

I have shared your comments with our entire team and we will be taking actions wherever relevant and necessary. I am particularly concerned with the shortcomings you experienced at our Spa and we are looking into any possible issue as we speak.

On the other hand, please note that our House Keeping Team is handling the daily cleaning of our guest rooms every day untill 5pm. With 276 guest rooms, our house keeping schedule has to be spread on the entire day and not only throughout the morning. This being said, I am very sorry that this caused any inconvenience to you and I hope that the issue was then solved to your satisfaction for the rest of your stay.

Should you wish to further discuss the events that occured during your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly,

Many thanks once again for your time and for your constructive comments,
Best Regards,

Franco Vella

Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed 24 April 2011

My partner & I stayed in Le Meridien St Julians in Malta in April 2011 for 5 nights. It is a very pleasant 5 star hotel, with a nice bar, excellent pool, spa & gym, and good restaurant. The breakfast (price €15 pp) was excellent - large choice and made-to-order omlettes. We also ate in the main hotel restaurant for their Saturday night fish buffet dinner, which was very good value with a large choice of dishes. Our room was large and the bed enormous, with an excellent bathroom and large wardrobe. The location was good if you want the nightlife of Sliema & St Julians, but it is quite a trek by bus into Valetta.

On the negative side, the hotel seems a bit corporate and lacks atmosphere. Not sure it would be a 'fun' destination for a family holiday. Our room was also quite dark, as the window was round a corner from the main bed area, and the room extended a long way from the window. Service in the restaurant and bar was ok, but not great - but I think poor service seems to be consistent throughout Malta.

Overall, we were not disappointed with our choice of hotel but I'm not sure we would come back here if we were on holiday.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank riverside-london

Dear Reviewer,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your constructive comments. I am glad to read about your positive feed-back, yet concerned with the fact that you may not consider our property as a holiday destination. On behalf of our staff, I would like to apologize for the shortcomings you seem to have suffered in terms of services. I can assure you that those are being looked into by all the heads of departments concerned.

Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly in order to further discuss your experience with us. Indeed, I would be glad to welcome you again amongst us and to be given the opportunity to exceed your expectations this time round,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2011

We spent a week in Malta and were very happy with our choice of Le Meridien. It's location is superb - a short stroll to Sliema and also easily walkable to Paceville (which seemed a bit noisier and more touristy). Our hotel deal included a non-sea-view room which turned out to be fortuitous as these rooms face the right way to get sunshine on the balcony in the afternoon and evening. The room was spacious and comfortable, as to be expected from a 5 star hotel. When we arrived, our balcony door would not lock and this was promptly fixed by the hotel staff. The Scirocco restaurant had differing themes each night - carvery night, Italian night etc. We ate there once (fish night) and this was one of the best dining experiences we had in Malta, and good value at 25 euros each. We ate more cheaply at other restaurants within a short walk of the hotel.

We liked the indoor pool, which was a decent size and the water was heated to a comfortable temperature. The outdoor rooftop pool was a bit too cold in April but a good size again, with plenty of sunloungers in this area. Small but busy gym.

If we were ever to return to Malta, this would be where we would choose to stay. We could not find fault at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zzzz13

Dear Guests,

What a great pleasure to read through your detailed review! Thank you very much for your lovely comments: I have shared your feed-back with the Team and we are all delighted to know that you had a positive experience with us.

Our Kitchen Team is also glad to know that you enjoyed our Fish & SeaFood Night at Scirocco Restaurant. It is our aim and our main satisfaction to provide a great experience to our hotel guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at Le Meridien St Julians Hotel & Spa,
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2011

Fantastic hotel, fantastic location. Had a room on the 10th floor, facing the back (very quiet, although not much of a view). Outstanding breakfast buffet - light years beyond what is "standard" in the States. The only disappointment: the cheap non-absorbent toilet paper. Entirely unacceptable for this caliber hotel - doesn't management realize that guests use 3 to 4 times as much of this thin paper which in the end is more expensive than providing the thick variety? One point deduction for this faux pas.

Room Tip: 10th floor rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank travelprof2006
Reviewed 7 April 2011

For my daughter Ava's first overseas holiday (she is not quite two), my wife and I decided to travel to the beautiful island of Malta. After rather a lot of looking around at hotels on the web, we chose Le Meridien in St. Julians. How glad we are that we did! This is a wonderful place to stay - amazing location, superb rooms, excellent service, and one of the best buffet breakfasts I have ever tasted! Yes, there were a few (minor) bad points - for example, on our first night, the door to our balcony was broken, and it took a while for us to change rooms - but any problems we encountered were sorted out quickly and helpfully. I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel. The room was superb, the bath and shower were wonderful, the location was amazing, and, as I said, the breakfast options were brilliant. I note that some other reviewers have commented that the service at the hotel is a bit reserved / unfriendly - all I can say is that we certainly didn't find that to be the case. Admittedly, the hotel has quite a serious, business-like quality to it, but that does not mean that the staff are unfriendly. All the staff we met were extremely polite, helpful and efficient - they even helped us out when we were struggling to fit our daughter's car seat (thanks Christian!). So, overall, if you are looking to visit Malta and want to stay in a delightful hotel in a beautiful resort, look no further than Le Meridien St. Julians. If we ever return to Malta, we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: The 14 euro cold buffet breakfast is superb!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We just spent a week at this hotel and were quite pleased. After a late arrival we had a very friendly welcome at the reception and got to our first room on the eighth floor. Unfortunately, the room was very warm and that might have caused the bad smell in the bathroom. When we went back down and told them about it, they were able to give us a somewhat larger room on the eleventh floor, but this time with just a standing room only balcony. However it didn’t smell, and since we still could get some air from the balcony we were ok with this. I agree with others that mention that it would be nice if there were two comfortable chairs in the room, we “fought” for the chair watching TV...

Since it was getting late and we didn’t want to walk too far, we did try their Saturday night seafood buffet with free flowing wine, and we both enjoyed that. The service was a bit slow on pouring more wine, but other wise fine. They seemed to cut the staff a bit short in the evening, something we noticed again on another night where we again used the buffet. The staff seemed to work quite well, so it was more a question of how much they could manage. We went for dinner in the Villa restaurant once, and the food was ok, but the waiters could have been better. We enjoyed several meals at Zeppi’s across the park much more.

Breakfast was great; we both loved getting our specially made omelet with a large choice of possible fillings from the friendly cook in the morning. There was also a good selection hot breakfast items, even if I didn’t think the pancakes and maple syrup was quite up to American standard. But there were also cheeses and cold cuts, vegetables, fruits and yoghurt, cereals, pain au chocolat, croissants, other cakes and what I think was porridge most of the week. Quite a few different types of rolls and breads, but nothing really whole grain as far as I could tell. Large selection of juices, water and even sparkling wine. Coffee and tea was served as well as special orders of espresso, cappuccino or cafe latte. The young lady that showed us our table several mornings was very nice, I’m afraid I don’t remember her name.

My husband loved the indoor pool and went doing his laps every morning. It was a bit warmer that he is used to, but then again, it was also good for me who loves a well heated pool to linger around in. He also enjoyed the steam room and even more so the sauna after he found the cold water pit. I did enjoy a massage at the spa as well, but my husband was not quite as satisfied with his pedicure, he has had a better job done other places.

We enjoyed the free internet in the lobby area (Password at the reception), having brought our own computer to check up on mail and get some other work done. The Kudeta bar was a good place for a quiet drink and even for a quick meal. We enjoyed both some pasta and some pizza at two occasions.

The elevators were sometimes a bit slow, and at times we were taken down when we wanted to go up because someone on another floor had been quicker to press a button than us. But most of the time it was not a big problem. We both got a kick out of all the different nature sounds they had in there

Other than one day where they were on the late side, we found our room well cleaned every day. When we needed help to use the fridge for a personal item, service was quick and helpful. (We didn’t want any false charges and asked for help since they seem to have an automated system for the mini bar.)

We did not have any problems with the staff and found them quite friendly most of the time. My husband had fun finding out where they all came from and it was quite an international staff. We had a late flight, and were quite pleased that we could use the facilities at the spa even after we checked out.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank polarlady
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I have just returned from my 3rd stay at Le Meridien. I have to say that I have read some of the more negative reviews and just do not agree. The staff have always been friendly and professional and have they have always answered any questions that I may have had.

The rooms are clean and large and I have experienced 3 different room types and all have been great.

My previous stay was in June 2010, when I married my now husband in Malta. I did not have my reception at the hotel, but returned there for drinks after the service. The staff were absolutely great and made ourselves and our guest very welcome and made it special for us. A big thank you to Antony our barman who was wonderful!

I think the spa area is wonderfully relaxing and has a great selection of treatments if you want them. However just relaxing by the pool gives you that luxury feeling, when it is warm enough the rooftop pool is fantastic, as are the views.

Breakfasts are a great selection that you can have something different every day and not get bored. Also the restaurants serve quality food at not the usual 5 star price. There is a happy hour every evening from 6 pm, so you can start your evening with a half price cocktail.

For me the location is great, if you want to get around there is a bus stop out the front of the hotel and the buses are so cheap and lets just say an experience. Eating out in the evening you have a really great selection of restaurants on your doorstep.

I have recommended the hotel to friends and family and they have all loved it and as
I said in the title - I will be going back - love it!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!