Two days into our stay, I realised I needed to actually start making a list of the disappointments we found with this hotel - something I have never dreamed of doing before. It is a great shame, because the hotel has one of the best locations in Malta, but we began to wish we had chosen a more remote hotel in exchange for some actual customer service. (I'll list them here, and I'll try to be quick):
1. The reception staff were without a doubt the most unhelpful people I have ever encountered. We were made to feel that we were an inconvenience from the moment we arrived. Their manner was abrupt and accusatory. Even though we had received an email confirming our reservation (and pre-paid breakfast) from one of their staff only 4 days before arrival, we were told that the staff member had made a mistake and as we had booked through Hotels.com, breakfast was not included, costing an additional 90-100 euros per person. An apology was nowhere to be found for the staff member's 'mistake' - it was our fault for not having booked through the hotel directly. This may sound like a petty incident, but the icing on the cake was that the front desk staff could see from our booking that one of the guys had pre-booked a champagne reception for his room and WAS ABOUT TO PROPOSE TO HIS GIRLFRIEND but they chose to treat us as though we were trying to steal from them instead of ironing out a booking error.
2. Our famous 100euro breakfast was actually a pretty big let-down. There's quite a large selection, but nothing is of particularly good quality. I often found the eggs were cold and wet, the fruit was tinned and disintegrating & coffee and tea are usually cold by the time they arrive at your table. If I knew in advance what I was paying for, I would have happily strolled to one of the many cafes or restaurants in the area for breakfast each morning for a quarter of the price.
3. Some of us had booked some spa treatments and again, received a confirmation email shortly before arrival - only to find that part of the spa was being renovated and some of the treatments had been cancelled. When I had my treatments (which were very nice), the masseuse unfortunately spoiled the relaxation by trying to up-sell more treatments and pressuring me to book. No thanks, can I enjoy my massage now?
4. There was no Wifi in the rooms and guests are expected to pay for use of a computer in the reception. In a 5-Star? Really?
5. If you go to the pool bar on the roof, be prepared to pay 5euros for a cup of Sprite poured out of an already-opened can. Roof pool is a bit small for the size of the hotel, but it's ok.
6. No complimentary water in our room despite tap water being undrinkable (one of the other couples did however get two bottles a day and they were booked into an identical room...?) We also had to ask for toilet roll on two occasions as it was not replenished.
7. Final nit-picks: hard bed, aggravatingly slow lifts (seriously - allow an extra ten minutes to get out of the hotel) and watch out for phantom mini-bar charges on your bill. They tried to charge us about 40euros extra for things we never touched.
NOW FOR THE GOOD - the bar staff are lovely, and I suggest that the bar staff do some training exercises with the reception staff in customer service. The rooms are pleasant and clean; we booked a sea view and were happy we had. The gym and spa facilities are very nice and should be made use of.
A MESSAGE FOR THE HOTEL MANAGER - if you happen to read this, please don't post a message apologising for our negative experience and say you wish we had expressed our disappointment at the time... We did. But we were faced with indifference and arrogance at just about every turn. I ask you please to remind your reception staff that their role is to welcome guests. A novel concept, I know.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa in Malta is located within the bustling, cosmopolitan neighbourhood of St. Julians, offering plenty of entertainment and tranquility located along the seafront promenade. Enjoying excellent views, our hotel is an architectural gem, offering elegance with the relaxed feel luxury, boutique hotel in the Mediterranean. Enjoy international cuisine, accompanied by a refined selection of world wines, and take your coffee al fresco on the splendid terrace. Awaken your senses at the MyoKa spa and float in our tropical indoor pool where you will be revived by aromatherapy secrets from around the world Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa offers a relaxing ambiance for business travelers, families and couples. On the first floor of the premises, the meeting planner will discover a practical and modern background for their project, with an entire floor dedicated to business events. Free WIFI in the guest rooms as well as the public areas, indoor and outdoor pools (weather permitting)and 24h Guest service available via telephone and whatsapp/blackberry messenger. Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel & Spa is part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien St. Julians reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien St. Julians Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Meridien St Julians
- Le Meridien Malta
- Le Meridien Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Le Meridien
- Le Meridien St. Julians Malta