“Quite a disappointment”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Two days into our stay, I realised I needed to actually start making a list of the disappointments we found with this hotel - something I have never dreamed of doing before. It is a great shame, because the hotel has one of the best locations in Malta, but we began to wish we had chosen a more remote hotel in exchange for some actual customer service. (I'll list them here, and I'll try to be quick):

1. The reception staff were without a doubt the most unhelpful people I have ever encountered. We were made to feel that we were an inconvenience from the moment we arrived. Their manner was abrupt and accusatory. Even though we had received an email confirming our reservation (and pre-paid breakfast) from one of their staff only 4 days before arrival, we were told that the staff member had made a mistake and as we had booked through Hotels.com, breakfast was not included, costing an additional 90-100 euros per person. An apology was nowhere to be found for the staff member's 'mistake' - it was our fault for not having booked through the hotel directly. This may sound like a petty incident, but the icing on the cake was that the front desk staff could see from our booking that one of the guys had pre-booked a champagne reception for his room and WAS ABOUT TO PROPOSE TO HIS GIRLFRIEND but they chose to treat us as though we were trying to steal from them instead of ironing out a booking error.
2. Our famous 100euro breakfast was actually a pretty big let-down. There's quite a large selection, but nothing is of particularly good quality. I often found the eggs were cold and wet, the fruit was tinned and disintegrating & coffee and tea are usually cold by the time they arrive at your table. If I knew in advance what I was paying for, I would have happily strolled to one of the many cafes or restaurants in the area for breakfast each morning for a quarter of the price.
3. Some of us had booked some spa treatments and again, received a confirmation email shortly before arrival - only to find that part of the spa was being renovated and some of the treatments had been cancelled. When I had my treatments (which were very nice), the masseuse unfortunately spoiled the relaxation by trying to up-sell more treatments and pressuring me to book. No thanks, can I enjoy my massage now?
4. There was no Wifi in the rooms and guests are expected to pay for use of a computer in the reception. In a 5-Star? Really?
5. If you go to the pool bar on the roof, be prepared to pay 5euros for a cup of Sprite poured out of an already-opened can. Roof pool is a bit small for the size of the hotel, but it's ok.
6. No complimentary water in our room despite tap water being undrinkable (one of the other couples did however get two bottles a day and they were booked into an identical room...?) We also had to ask for toilet roll on two occasions as it was not replenished.
7. Final nit-picks: hard bed, aggravatingly slow lifts (seriously - allow an extra ten minutes to get out of the hotel) and watch out for phantom mini-bar charges on your bill. They tried to charge us about 40euros extra for things we never touched.

NOW FOR THE GOOD - the bar staff are lovely, and I suggest that the bar staff do some training exercises with the reception staff in customer service. The rooms are pleasant and clean; we booked a sea view and were happy we had. The gym and spa facilities are very nice and should be made use of.

A MESSAGE FOR THE HOTEL MANAGER - if you happen to read this, please don't post a message apologising for our negative experience and say you wish we had expressed our disappointment at the time... We did. But we were faced with indifference and arrogance at just about every turn. I ask you please to remind your reception staff that their role is to welcome guests. A novel concept, I know.

1  Thank GoldieJean
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Dear Guest,

As requested in your review, I will note elaborate a lengthy reply on this platform.
However this does not diminish the value and importance of your feed-back, and I would be glad if you could contact me directly in order to be able to look into each point you mentioned in a more constructive manner,

Many thanks and regards,

Franco Vella,

Reviewed 17 June 2011

Malta is charming. If you want to enjoy your visit do not stay at this hotel (view attached photos)! First they gave us a room facing the carpark, which is just a few meters away from an active building site. They told us the hotel is fully booked and therefore the only other room they could give us was on the first floor (called 4th) about 4 meters from the road, facing the car park and taxi rank (on the morning), on the side of the building site. This is like spending your holiday on a car park! The aircondition is freezing (they did not succeed to adjust it), and therefore you need to open the door to the road and car park, and hear all the cars and shouting taxi drivers all night long. They refused to change our room, as they said they are fully booked, and we stayed there all 4 nights. They said I should talk to my agent (which I did but even when he talked to them they did not change the room).

As you can see on the photo, about half of the hotel rooms are on the back facing the same view and noise of cars (thus the rooms on a higher floor ,ight be less noisy). This room was reserved as a standard Le Meridien 5 stars room.

Only part of the rooms on the front (probably the expensive ones) face the sea, as the hotel is built between ugly residential buildings.

General recommendation: Don't ever go to an hotel which doesn't have a photo of the exterior even on its' website.

The room and balcony were dearty (cigarretes, tissues, snacks, etc.), the maintanance poor (light bulbs) and the reception and manager rude and unfriendly.

The only good things were the breakfast and the bed.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel!
5  Thank Dana4
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This hotel suited us perfectly. We were there for 3 full days, as my fiancee wanted to get a tan before the wedding. The weather was great, which clearly helped!

The hotel has a great pool area on the roof (12th floor). There was never an issue getting loungers. There is also another lounging area away from the pool (for those that want things quiter and away from the kids). There is a handy if pricey snack bar there too.

There is a full gym on the 2nd floor along with a very nice indoor pool and lounging area and a full spa.

The room was big and clean, with a comfortable bed and a really nice washroom.

All in all it was the perfect spot for a short break. Recoomended restaurants: Barracuda and Piccolo Padre (right there in Balluta Bay), Malata (in Valetta - great chateaubriand and location), and Casino de Venezia (in Vittoriosa - beautiful view). Dial a cab were much cheaper than the white taxi services if you don't fancy bussing it in the heat.

2  Thank Who'stheMan
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Just got back from a short stay, 3 nights. Check-in was quick and very easy, the staff were very good, professional and courteous. The room we had was on the 7th floor and of a very good size. Beds were king size and not just two pushed together! Facilities in the room were excellent.

The hotel itself is of a very good standard and we found all of the staff to be very good at what they do. Breakfast was good quality and quantity :-)

The location of the hotel is perfect for a short break in particular. It's a short and easy walk to St Julians bay and the other way down to Silema. Outside the hotel is a bus stop for those wanting to go further.

I would recommend this hotel

3  Thank VillanOfBrum
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights during our last league of our Euro trip. We were here for our honeymoon and was treated to a bottle of wine and some lil' dessert in our room. The hotel is strategically situated in St. Julians, where eateries and shopping comes alive.

The room we had did not had the best of view, facing a construction site and we had a separate shower and toilet, which I didn't fancy at all. Otherwise the hotel is great, the parking was free, there's free wifi at the lobby and bar and the restaurant food was good and affordable. I had the pork ribs and it was delicious.

I would it is a decent place to stay in Malta where you have the comfort and convenience with shops and eateries along the bay and a great view of the Mediterranean sea.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ro9do

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive and fair review. I'm glad to read that you've had mostly an enjoyable experience with us and I would like to take this opportunity to once again congratulate you on your special event!

Wishing you many long years of shared happiness,

Kind Regards,
Franco Vella

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Very nice hotel and for a basic room I was extremely impressed by it's facilities, design and comfort.

Great location near the main attraction of Malta. Front desk was a little unfriendly but efficient.

Bar staff were painfully slow with ordering and delivering drinks even when we were one of two small groups.

Hot breakfast was ok. Coffee was terrible which was sad. They offered tilly coffee for a small additional fee but it was obvious to our group of five that they had no idea how to make it or use the machine.

Spa treatment was nice but staff were a little rude and aloof. One brunette lady at the spa reception was adorable but the others were very abrupt. Also there was a strong drive amongst staff to sell you spa products. This was really annoying and spoiled the treatments as it introduced frustration during an attempt to enjoy. After speaking to other men and women at the bar it seemed I was not alone in my opinion of the spa.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank DoobieSydney

Dear Reviewer,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for the positive score you attributed to our hotel. However, I'm compelled to say that I am concerned with your feed-back on the approach of some of our staff. Please rest assured that any potential issue is being looked at and efficiently tackled as we speak,

I am taking this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Many thanks once again and kind regards,
Franco Vella,

Reviewed 13 June 2011

we stayed as a couple for 4 nights. le meridien is great - great location, great quality and great staff. the hotel is an absolute dream - roof top pool, fantastic scenery, relaxing noise of water from the bay, the ringing of the church bells.. we booked a deluxe room with a sea view, well worth it. food in restaurant beautiful. star quality. Loads of other restaurants and bars on your doorstep. Lovely place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lbmo

Dear both,

I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic time at Le Meridien! Thank you for sharing your feed-back with the Tripadvisor community.

We would love to welcome you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact our hotel directly should you wish to visit Malta again soon,

Kind Regards,

#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!