“Very recommendable”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The staff is extremely kind and helpful. We were a group of 13, including some children, and they helped us to prearrange our stay. We contacted with the concierge before travelling and got all kind of useful suggestions about things to do and help to make our reservations in advance. Once there they made their best to make us enjoy our stay in Malta. Very recommendable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Very nice hotel & friendly staff.
great location, as could walk everywhere.
When they say sea view, you actually get a fantastic sea view.
Cleanliness & room layout was great.
Definitely be back, we loved Malta

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Me & y partner stayed at the hotel for 9 nights & thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a deluxe sea view room, which we were pleased about because other rooms face a car park/building site!!
The staff was so friendly & always there to help. The happy hour is a great bargain for cocktail lovers & the bar food is so cheap! They have special events on at the hotel over the weekend, although we didn’t go to any as we already had plans.
The spa is amazing, especially in the day when you just need to relax & there aren’t any children around! I had a massage whilst there & it was a real bargain. On the 12th floor, there is the pool & sunbathing area, we spent quite a lot of time here but took our own drinks. It cost 5 euro for a pint of diet coke which they poured out of a bottle and 4 euro for an ice cream!! Far too over priced we thought!
On arrival, the hotel have to take a deposit of 50 euro each day for the mini bar, films etc. We decided we didn’t need these so if you ask they will lock it for you & you don’t have to pay.
I fell there are a couple of thing I have to mention. They did a practice fire alarm at a ridiculous time of 11pm; this went on for 20 minutes & was an inconvenience. Also, one day we went out at 9am & didn’t get back until gone 5, only to find our room open. I went down to reception only to find the chamber maid hadn’t closed the door properly behind her & it had been open for 3 hours! This is totally unacceptable & the manager couldn’t be sorrier. The next day we came back in from eating out to find a couple of bottles of wine & chocolates which was a nice touch.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel; the location is brilliant & the service outstanding.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

Having just stayed at the hotel I am shocked at the last few negative reviews... The experiences had were by no means correlated to our stay at that hotel. This made me compelled to write this review!!
I travel quite a bit for work purposes and stay in numerous hotels, and would refer to myself as a picky traveller...
So my reflections of this hotel was that it was one of the best I've stayed in.
The positives for me;
1. Rooms were clean and contemporary
2. Towels, dressing gowns were replenished without the need to request.
3. Food was delicious and of a substantial quantity
4. Hotel itself was contemporary and you could see that it is trying to stand out from the crowd by introducing quirky things (music in the lifts)
5. Pool was clean and fresh towels are always available
6. Conceige was always on hand to book taxis, provide directions and be a general source of knowledge about St julians and the surrounding areas.

The things that made the hotel different;
1. As our do not disturb sign was on the door and the cleaners were unable to clean - we received both a message and a call from reception checking with us later to see if we needed anything
2. The bar is quite expensive - but there is 1/2 price drinks at happy hour '6 - 7:30' and they make fantastic cocktails.
3. Manager held a drinks reception on the terrace to get feedback from guests - free drink and nibbles were provided
4. Themed nights were fantastic - vast amounts of food and drink for only 30 Euros each
5. Brilliant Spa, hotel guests were notified of special offers for treatments. Both my husband and I had massages and have to say the staff there were really professional and friendly.

Being balanced the only negatives for me was that we had paid extra for a sea view and for me it was a partial sea view. Having said that it didn't ruin our experience one bit...
The lifts are quirky too... but who cares, you're on holiday... we're in no rush!!!

So all in all a fantastic place to stay, and for those of you (Like me) who live by trip advisor reviews about holidays - please do not be put off... it is a lovely hotel and you will have a fantastic time there.

1  Thank GAB1981
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Dear Guest,

I have just read your review and I would like to personally thank you for sharing your feed-back with the online community: it is indeed a very helpful insight of our product and services. I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future,

We might have met during our weekly Guest Cocktail party you mentioned in your write-up....

Thank you once again for your time and for your valued custom,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 June 2011

I don't agree with many of the negative reviews recently posted. The staff have been very accommodating and quite apologetic when things weren't quite right. Yes, be careful about the minibar because even bumping into it can result in charges - that are removed from your bill when you ask.

I will agree the wait for a lift can be tedious but it is a rather busy hotel and with everyone going down to breakfast at once it's only to be expected.

The rooms are extremely comfortable and while I found the bedding a bit firm at first, I slept well and much prefer it to a bed that's too soft. The roof top pool is on the smallish side but it's more than adequate and there are plenty of lounge chairs although it can be busy. I'm fortunate to be a top tier with SPG so I'm extended some of the courtesies other gripe about missing (complimentary water, upgraded rooms, sea view, internet). To answer those complaints, if you didn't reserve a sea view you've no right to complain that you didn't receive one. It is available for sale to anyone so book it if you want it. If you want internet, pay for it - I've yet to find free internet at a hotel outside the USA. Starwood reserves complimentary room upgrades (size, location, or view) to their most loyal customers and frankly, I spend more nights at an SPG property than I do in my own bed so I've earned it. I dismiss those rants. Finally, if you had signed up for the SPG program (it's free) you'd probably receive the bottled water.

I hope to make use of the spa on my next visit in July. The prices were quite reasonable, they have daily offers, and it looks fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your clarifications about our SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) program. Indeed, you are very right in saying that Starwood loyalty program offers various benefits (depending on the amount of nights spent/points earned at Starwood Properties) and it's great news to read that you could avail yourself of these advantages at our property.

I would like to apologize for any possible frustration you may have experienced with our lifts or with our minibar services. The minibar technology system is indeed very sensitive. I am relieved to read that any possible non consumed items was removed from your bill on request.

This being said, thank you for recommending our hotel and looking forward to welcoming you again soon,

Have a lovely summer,
Best Regards

Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel claims to be 5 star but having stopped at other Starwood Group Hotels and other 5 Star hotels across the world this was the worst.
* Poor customer service
* Poor customer relations including the general manager
* Poor communications between staff
* Bathroom with mold and ingrained dirt
* Poor quality toiletries and those used not replenished
* Hotel very tired with damaged furniture and stained chairs

NOT A 5* expereince

3  Thank ABRDF

Dear Reviewer,

I am deeply concerned with your feed-back. You are indeed highlighting various negative points and I am truly sorry for the disappointment you so obviously suffered whilst staying with us. However, I must also underline that we would only be able to better address the issues you mentioned if you were to give us concrete examples. You are mentioning customer service and customer relationship, and it appears – based on your brief write-up - that we have met during your stay with us, as you also seem unhappy about my intervention. Could I kindly ask you to contact me directly so you could remind me of the situation and we could look into your experience in a constructive manner?

I would be grateful to read or hear the reasons for your disappointment as to be able to tackle any possible shortcoming with the concerned departments,

Your feed-back is important to us and your custom is truly appreciated,
Best Regards,

Franco Vella,

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We booked a de luxe room which did not disappoint.
However the dining room was lacking in atmosphere.
The lift service was totally inadequate for the size of the hotel and suffered from a peculiar array of piped sounds, ranging from bird song, running water and even a person seemingly taking a bath. We were informed that the sound tracks reflected the in-house spa!

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read that our property failed at reaching your expectations.

With regards to the “soundscapes” that our guests can experience whilst using our lifts, please note that this is part of a global Le Méridien art-based initiative called LM100.
As part of his role with LM100, French music composer and producer Henri Scars Struck has orchestrated sounds, rhythms and melodies for all Le Méridien properties around the world. Different instruments, different languages, different cultures and different sounds all intersect in surprising ways in Le Méridien’s lounges, elevators, restaurants, etc. This initiative is a deliberate choice for Le Méridien Brand to create an involvement between art and accommodation.

More information can be found about LM100 initiative on Le Méridien brand website.

This being said, I am truly sorry that this was not to your liking and I will certainly share your feed-back with the relevant teams,

Many thanks for your time and custom,
Kind Regards,

InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!