“Great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Cambridgeshire
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We have just returned home after a 10 day stay, bed & breakfast at the Le Meridian St Julians and can only say thankyou for a wonderful stay.

We had a late arrival (03.30 am!) and were checked in quickly. On arrival in our room I was disappointed to find the view was only a partial sea view and not the full one we had paid for. The following day I asked the reception if we could move rooms and must say the reception staff were helpful, polite and very friendly. There were no rooms availabe that day but would we mind waiting to the fllowing morning.....not a problem we said.......The following day true to their word they moved us to the 10th floor and upgraded us to a fabulous suite.

Breakfast is a must as there is both hot and cold food to fill up on ready for the day ahead.

We did not eat in the hotel during the evening but tried out the local restaurants in the area, all within walking distance. We enjoyed Scruples bar on Batulla Sq, 1927,Pepperoncino,Meet Argentinian and Piccolo Padre. The only let down was U bistro, the food was not what we expected or up to the standards of the other restaurants. Sorry!

Thankyou Malta for a great holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent, UK
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a week's break in Malta (staying at Le Meridien at St Julian’s Bay).

Before we booked the hotel, we read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were a little surprised by the spread of positive and negative comments. Having stayed at the hotel, we hope the following will help other travellers to better understand the context of (some of) the other reviewer comments and also assist with you making your holiday decision.

The hotel is set on 12 floors with the top floor being the location for the swimming pool, our room was on floor 8 (room 831), reception and a bar is on the 3rd floor, the main restaurant (for breakfast) and the spa/ gym on the second floor and the street level access on floor 0 (also the location of three or four shops within the hotel).
The hotel is very well position within easy reach of many restaurants (most are a 5/8 minute walk (to the left of the bay immediately outside of the hotel), there is a bus stop outside the hotel – by “U Bistrot” bistro at level 0 – goes one direction with a stop opposite the church on the right side of the bay going the other way. The sightseeing bus with two routes – South and North – across Malta are great value at Euro15. U Bistrot is worth a coffee (or lunch/dinner) with the free wi-fi being a plus.

Back to the hotel itself; starting with the top floor (12):-
1) Pretty much wherever you sit around the pool you will have uninterrupted sun. There are no other taller buildings blocking the sun.
2) The pool depth is between ca.1m and 1.4m. The deepest point is in the middle. It does get pretty busy and therefore acted more as a cooling off area rather than a proper pool due to lack of space (there were 20-30 people in there at most times)
3) There is a separate children's splash pool which is 0.5m deep. To be honest it is a bit of a waste of space. We hardly saw is being used as it was really small.
4) The bar serving the pool is around the corner and the service around the pool is poor considering the star rating of the hotel. One time, we waited 20 minutes for a smoothie and 30 mins for a burger and chips so we invariably went up to the bar ourselves.
5) The pool bar prices for soft drinks are a joke. Euro5 for a pint of coke or sprite. The cup is normally filled to the top with ice so you probably only get 300ml of drink. This is served from half opened bottles. Why they can’t just give you a cup of ice and the 500ml fresh bottle is beyond me. Euro5 is 5x the price for a bottle at the supermarket !!!!!
6) The pool could do with being widened slightly, being lengthened (get rid of the pointless splash pool) and a deep and swallow end at separate ends. A deep point (if you call 1.4m deep!!!) in the middle doesn’t make sense.
7) The pool area is also not very pretty. More effort could be made, as is also the case of the terrace where there are tables and chairs by the bar. It also feels very 3 star to be honest. While I note there are a couple of plants here and there, it really isn’t befitting of a 5-star hotel

Next to our room on floor 8
1) We had plenty of room and two balconies although both overlooked the car park (not really an issue). I found the bed to be on the hard side although the wife sleeped like a log (I rated this 3 although she would rate this as a 4).
2) The safe/ security box in the room was a really good size and ample to accommodate a laptop, jewellery, passports, money and camera.
3) The room itself was clean when we arrived however when a returned the next afternoon at 5pm we found that the room had not been cleaned so had to call the reception (not exactly 5-star). One day, we also put a card on the bed to say we wanted fresh sheets but these weren’t provided as there was a small mark on one of the sheets and this was still there when the sheets were re-fitted (so clearly not clean sheets)
4) The shower gel was limited to one small bottle, which was inadequate for two people who shower in the morning and it the evening before going out for dinner.
5) The fridge light worked but the contents were not cold. We reported this to reception but it was never fixed. We therefore only had one warm can of coke from the fridge but found that we were also charged for an orange juice and a snickers bar that we did not have. The reception staff had no problem in removing the additional items and informed us that the sensor recognition system in the fridge (noting when an item has been removed) does not work properly. It does beg the question on why they use this then.
6) The fridge was also dirty. We have taken a couple of photos with the stains in the fridge that look like they have been therefore some time (not hygienic)
7) The television in the room was an old style CRT television with a screen of about 26 inches. Again, it didn’t fit with the “5-star” hotel. Given the size of the room we were in, it really wasn’t big enough for use to view from the bed; even the remote control didn’t work if you were lying in the bed as you were too far from the sensor.
8) On a positive note, there was a bath and a shower and also worth mentioning is the toilet was separate from the bathroom.

Floor 3 – reception.
1) There was a large reception area with plenty of seats. I believe there was also wi-fi but we could not get this to work on the iphone (3) or the iPad.
2) The staff were not especially friendly so we can relate to the comment made by other reviewers. When we arrived (about 3/4am in the morning), we were greeted by two members of staff that didn’t seem to be wearing the standard hotel uniform. Both looked a little scruffy and the gentlemen that checked us in (Iain) seemed a bit lost, mumbled his way through and got some of the information wrong. Not what you expect when this is the first person that you are greeted by a in a so-called 5-star hotel.
3) There is a bar Ku-de-Te that serves 2-1 happy hour cocktails between 6 and 7:30pm. They are a little slow but the cocktails are good. The outside terrace is nice but inside is a bit soul-less.
4) The hotel operates an efficient luggage storage system, which was handy as we were considering keeping the room on for an extra 3 hours to 3pm but were told this would cost us Euro50 !!!

Floor 2 – Restaurant for breakfast and spa/gym area
1) Gym is well equipped with running machines, bikes, cross trainers, nautilus equipment and free weights. There are also instructors on-hand. I believe the gym has outside (local) members, which probably explains the good quality. The first towel is free with extra towels charged at 0.50c each. The changing rooms are also good.
2) My wife and I had 8 treatments between us. The staff are fantastic with the manager (Sabina) and one of the masseurs (Packy) being worthy of note. They also have some specials offers.
3) There is also an indoor pool and Jacuzzi (we did not use these but they looked nice).
4) The restaurant was fine for breakfast.

Floor 0
1) The shops within the hotel complex never seemed to have anyone in them.....we didn’t bother either.
2) When you leave the building you have a restaurant immediately outside called The Villa. Worth going there; good food.
3) When you walk down the road to the waterfront, there is a bistro called U Bistrot. You get good food, reasonable portions and a good price. Worth trying this for a lunch.

Other noteworthy comments:-
1) Building works - At the time of writing (July 2011), directly next to the hotel, there is an 11 floor building being constructed which is really noisy Monday to Friday, which interrupts your relaxation around the pool as there is a crane and a separate cherry picker winching materials to the top floor.
2) Restaurants worth going to - Barracudda (100m going towards the right of the bay), San Giuliano (5-8 minute walk to the left; the next bay – Spinola Bay) and Peppino’s which is also in Spinola’s Bay. In the case of the latter, if you are a couple, book the solitary table on the first floor balcony overlooking the bay (book 3-4 days in advance). A cool bar to go to in Paceville (15 in walk) is Bar Celona (house music). Most of the other bars seem to be frequented by the 16-25 crowd.
3) Trips - Take a bus (no# 11) to the Port at the North tip of Malta (Euro2.60 return – about 1hr 15 mins) and then a ferry (Euro4.65 return – about 30 mins) to the island of Gozo. When you get to the port, buy a Euro15 hop-on-hop-off sightseeing bus for the day. Well worth a day trip but I recommend you set off early.

Overall Summary:-
The hotel is a good choice but not 5-star by international standards whatever the management team says. I have stayed at other Starwood Hotels (le Meridien Dubai, the Westin in Milan and also Berlin for example) and this is nowhere near to its namesake in Dubai for example. That said, you can do a lot worse than booking into this hotel. The location is good and the hotel is more than acceptable; it just isn’t 5-star no matter what people say. I would recommend staying here.

Sorry for the length of the review however I hope there is a little something for everyone to take from this. Enjoy your trip :-)

13 Thank Huckatola
Verona
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Our family (two parents with an eight years old boy) liked this hotel, its convenient location, its smart informal and modern features, its spacious rooms and bathrooms (tub and shower have their own separate space and the wc has its own small area with its own door: a very practical solution if three guests have to share these facilities), its restaurants offering each evening for an acceptable price a different good theme dinner (no charge for kids and free flow drinks including good Maltese wines), its rooftop pool, the underground garage free of charge etc. Previous reviews complaining for the slow elevators (there are four of them and during peak hours one may have to wait a couple of minutes), for the need to collect each time the free garage exit ticket, for the assumed hard beds, for the reception located in an upper floor (but it is the ground floor if one uses the main entrance on the hill side) etc. are not really to be shared, although one bell captain helping guests using the lower entrance might be of great help. Pity that no free wi fi connection is offered. We always experienced an attentive and quite efficient service and were pleased to find an extra bed for our boy although we did not previously require it. We did not use the spa which other guests reported to be good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I'm sat in the hotel lobby waiting for the mrs to get ready for our night out. Not too why there are negative comments about this hotel. Really nice location with bars and nice places to eat just down the road. Nice pool with not too many kids. Rooms are ok with great sea views. If I do have one complaint is the prices of drinks are expensive. A can, yes can of local beers is 5 euro at the pool bar. They tried to charge us 11 euro for a gin and tonic. I popped to the local shop and paid 1 euro for the same beer and chilled it in the wine cooler next to my sun bed. Maybe I'm just tight. If like me you paid £80 a night it's brilliant value. If you paid £300 a night like some people then I might be dissapointed. Overall its a great hotel which states it's a 5 star but really it's a lovely 4 star.

• Stayed July 2011
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Just spent a week at Le Meridien. Almost everything in this hotel was great! Have sea view,it's worth the money! Very nice location with a lot of restaurants nearby. The hotel staff was very helpful!Try Saturday night BBQ buffet, great variaty of food and tasteful! In generally, service was overpriced (especially breakfast). The indoor pool was perfect! The outdoor pool was very nice, but would rather have it a bit larger...I would expect free wi-fi in the room...
Overall a wonderful experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room (827) with absolutely fantastic sea view.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I had an extended stay for business and was very happy with this hotel

The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The room was large with a small mini- bar, and bottled water left in the room each day. When I checked in I was given a room with two balconies and the afternoon sun was just too much for the air conditioning. I spoke to the front desk and they immediately had someone see if they could fix the problem. Despite best efforts, it was still very warm. They cheerfully found me another room which was much cooler.

The breakfast buffet is very nice with lots of choices. I have dined at the buffet restaurant twice. At first I thought it was a bit pricey, but after eating out in the area it is actually quite reasonable for what you get. Excellent food. My only suggestion would be to include water in the buffet price at dinner. It is included at breakfast.

I loved the location as it was only a short walk to many restaurants. The location is a very nice and quiet and I would not want to stay in any other area after being in St. Julians Bay.

There is free parking for guests -- a must if you have a car in Malta!

Downside? Not much -- the elevators are pretty slow, but a big deal. I am surprised to read the negative comments. I am on my second stay here and have not had any similar experience. Would I like a sea view? Of course, but I had that choice when I booked by room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Barcelona
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The staff is extremely kind and helpful. We were a group of 13, including some children, and they helped us to prearrange our stay. We contacted with the concierge before travelling and got all kind of useful suggestions about things to do and help to make our reservations in advance. Once there they made their best to make us enjoy our stay in Malta. Very recommendable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,831 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!