“Dinner at the Scirocco Restaurant”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I chose the Meridien to host a dinner for my relatives on the occassion of my daughter's christening. We received a wonderful service and full attention all the time. Everything was excellent including the setup and food. I highly recommend Le Meridien.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dorianne B
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after holding such an important event at our hotel.

While I would like to first of all offer our congratulations, I am delighted to hear that after having chosen our Hotel to host this memorable occasion, you felt that the product and service that we supplied was up to your expectations.

Thank you once again for sharing this memorable experience and we look forward to having the possibility of welcoming you and your guests back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We made use of the Meridien for some Christmas events. The staff were top class and it showed in their excellent service, with every request being handled professionally and without complaint. To complement the great service, the hotel was clean and well organised. I highly recommend Le Meridien for events, weekend breaks and holidays, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your company's recent experiences while holding events at our hotel.

It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have thoroughly enjoyed their experiences at our hotel and that they have found the product and the service that our team offer to their complete satisfaction.

May I once again thank you for your recommendations and for your review and do hope to having the pleasure to welcome you and your company in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

Delicious food! Excellent service! Friendly staff! Great ambience! Free parking! The Scirocco Restaurant at Le Meridien is a perfect place to host staff dinners. I was impressed by everyone's hard work to make our staff get together a special one! Will definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GBB284

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your group's experience following your visit to our hotel over the Christmas period.

I am delighted to hear that both you and your colleagues had such a great time during your annual event and I am glad to hear that you found the food and the dinner offered was to your complete satisfaction and that our associates contributed to this experience.

While I would like to once again thank you for both your contribution and your recommendation, we do hope to be able to welcome and your colleagues in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

As has been mentioned in many of the reviews here, the hotel has it's pros and cons. The location was perfect for us and since I am a SPG Gold member, we were upgraded on arrival to a room on the 9th floor. This was fantastic. The rooms are spacious and I like the fact that the toilet is seperate from the bathroom.
We were there just after Christmas and stayed till shortly after New Year. Housekeeping is not very efficient, there were some dust balls in one corner and they were still there when we checked out 5 days later. On some days housekeeping came around 4 pm even though we had removed the "do not disturb" sign at 9am. This was quite irritating since this was when we wanted to take a short rest and then go out for the evening.
Breakfast at the Scirroco was a disaster: too few serving personnel and not very friendly. Luckily due to my SPG status, we were offered access to the Executive Lounge where we had breakfast most of the days. Unfortunately they open only at 7am and since we had an early morning flight back, we had to return to Scirroco on the last day. Breakfast here is supposed to start at 6:30, however the door was shut and even though there was quite a queque, the doors were only opened at around 6:40 and this by an extremly unfriendly young man. Tables were not all set and we had to wait quite a bit for our coffee.
The Executive Lounge is a good option for breakfast but the internet connection is pretty bad here. And the service here varies. Some of the personnel are very friendly whereas the others are just about OK. Defintely room for improvement here.
We did not attend the Gala dinner here on New Year's Eve since they were full. Here I would like to mention that the coincierge Mario Bugeja went out of his way to find an alternate solution for us. After asking us what we were looking for, he recommended the Radisson and even arranged two tickets for us. And this was one of the best New Year Eve balls we have ever been to. We were one of the few "outsiders" there but were treated wonderfully and it was clear that Mario had asked his colleagues at the Radisson to take special care of us :)
And other than the service staff at Scirocco, most of the staff at the hotel were friendly and nice.
We would definitely return, since we loved Malta and the location of the Meridien is just perfect for us!

Room Tip: Invest in the rooms with sea view, it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel's location and the services in general to your expectation. On the other hand I do apologise that the service at breakfast was not always up to your expectation and your comments have been passed on to our Food & Beverage team to action accordingly. On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that the Executive Lounge was better suited to your requirements. Your comments in relation to the Wi-Fi coverage within the lounge have also been passed on to our IT department to look into and I do thank you for having brought this to our attention.

It is also a pity that we were not able to accommodate you for the New Year's Eve Dinner due to being fully booked in all of our three locations, however I am pleased to hear that our concierge Mario, managed to find a substitute to your requirements.

While thank you once again for your contribution, I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Used Le Meridien for a special Christmas dinner function of approx 270 persons. All I can say is that from enquiry stage throughout the function, till billing stage, I was highly satisfied by everyone's input to make this event a successful one. I would recommend this hotel to those who would like to organise something similar, or for simply dining in this splendid hotel.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your group's experience following your recent function at our hotel.

I am delighted to hear that both you and your approximately 270 guests found the product and services provided up to your expectations. It is always a pleasure to hear that our associates played an important role in making your event a successful one.

While thank you once again for your contribution, we do look forward to being able to welcome you and your guests back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Went to Malta for Christmas. I chose this hotel after reading the reviews, some of the reviews were spot on, some were so-so. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, rooms were clean,fantastic view as long as you are in the deluxe sea view room. This hotel is rated as a five star hotel, I personally do not think that it is a five star hotel. My main issue with the hotel is the TV channels provided, You cannot watch entertainment channels in English except for the news channels and the ancient Televisions they have are not representative of a five star hotel, when you are on holiday here you cannot relax and watch a film in English. if you want to watch a film in English you have to pay. Then the food! Personally I would not recommend Scirroco, they have a buffet with two rows of tables with exactly the same types of food for 25 euros. Meanwhile, If you go downstairs to Kudeta you can have a fantastic tasty meal for cheaper. Better still just go out of the hotel for a meal. As far as I am concerned the restaurants in the hotel are not worth the extra charge. Would I recommend it? Business, ok. Family holiday. Na.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RonkiJ

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay at our hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel's location, rooms and the service provided by our associates was up to your expectation. On the other hand I do understand that the TVs and the choice of channels are not the latest on the market, which is why the company has taken steps to upgrade the whole TV system in February 2013. This upgrade will not only mean that all our rooms will all have LED TVs with an improved choice of stations but we will also be offering Wi-Fi in all our rooms as opposed to the current wired HSIA service.

While I would like to once again thank you for your contribution, we do hope to having the possibility of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed at this hotel for our wedding at another venue therefore there was 7 of us at this hotel. After reading trip advisor before we left I was rather concerned about the EXTRAS! On check in my card was charged with over E5,550.00 ( approved -not taken) I was quite shocked at this but was told the final balance would only be taken on check out. Since I had booked via my wedding planner I had different rates to the rates the hotel was quoting however when I checked my bill on the TV I was getting concerned at the higher charges. ( will refer to this later)
Our deluxe sea view room was excellent - clean - nice furniture tho the lighting was rather dim. Bathroom very good and separate toilet. View was lovely. My daughter had a land view and this was also pleasant and her room very similar to ours bar a carpeted floor.
The hotel bar tho pricy (E8 up to E21 for a decent shot of brandy) was pleasant tho also dimly lit and there is happy hour each day 6 - 7.30 pm where all drinks are half price. This tended to get very busy so service was slow and you were lucky to get more than 2 drinks during this time. No complaints on the bar staff they were more than friendly.
Breakfast time seemed very short staffed and tables rarely cleared - we had to do this ourselves which for 5 star is not acceptable. Food wise plenty of choice but there again in the early days no one was cleaning the food mess up left by other guests.
Dinner the first couple of nights was good however once again table service was slow and unprofessional. Unfortunately Xmas day dinner was a total disaster - we were faced with a very quiet restaurant and the tureens were basically empty apart from bits of dried food - I am afraid this is where I was so embarassed for my wedding guests that I quietly got up and went to reception almost in tears ! Ironically the lady that took my booking was called to reception and she came down to the restaurant to look for herself - she was also appauled at what she saw and spent probably the next couple of hours with the staff and chefs in the restaurant. She did offer us alternative food but by this time I was too upset to eat !
Following this complaint things definately improved in the restaurant - there were more managers on duty organising the staff and they were all more attentive tho I am not entirely sure this was for everyone ! All my guests and ourselves were sent a letter of apology from management and we were invited to eat in the private dining room with extra staff and attention - we took up this offer for 3 nights tho it was offered for a week ( same menu as the dinner buffet) some of our guests were also upgraded to the New Years Eve Gala dinner which we had booked. I cannot complain about this Gala at all the food was superb - amazing starter buffet with lobster, prawns, etc. and ample choice of main courses all explained by a chef and the waiters at the table were excellent.
The hotel management seemed eager to please us after my complaints re the restaurant and my account. We were sent flowers for our wedding, some bubbly and a small cake.
I would say that in a 5 star hotel the restaurant staff should at least have some degree of training - we did observe that a lot of staff had worked rediculous hours over the Xmas period and maybe this is where problems crept in but when you are on holiday in a 5 star hotel you do expect 5 star service and I am afraid the restaurant really lets the hotel down.
One other point is that there was no live music or entertainment in the hotel bar apart from a brief stint on New Years Eve when we were in the gala, The hotel bar also shuts very early.
Whilst we enjoyed the holiday I doubt very much we would return to the hotel due to the restaurant.
On a more positive note the Hotel Spa is Excellent - several of us went for various treatments and being a beautician myself I have no complaints whatsoever.
Final point - the bar fridge is on a censor so if like me you like to read a label on a bottle of wine - don't put it back as it registers that you have drank it ! Same goes for the nuts and pringles on the dressing table - on an electronic tray. This is run by an outside company not the hotel - we were refunded for things we had not drank or ate but you have to tell them on reception.

Room Tip: Sea view front of hotel is gorgeous with the beautiful church on the right hand side - lovely sound...

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay at our hotel. May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your wedding.

It is disappointing to hear that the service we provided was not always up to your expectation and I do sincerely apologise that this was the case. This is definitely not the level of service that we would like our guests to experience. On a positive note I am pleased to hear that as soon as this was brought to the attention of our team, that action was taken immediately to rectify the situation. I am also pleased to hear that your found the rooms, hotel location and our Spa to your satisfaction.

While thanking you once again for sharing your experiences, I do hope that this would not deter you from staying at our hotel in the future and should you decide to do so, please do contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to personally deal with your reservation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!