“Very good”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just came back from a weekend break at the le meridien ,it was a very good stay very relaxing, we stayed on bed and breakfast which was more than enough service was good even when rest was busy ,my partner cant eat wheat and that wasnt a problem for the staff the chef came and brang her food stright away . My only draw backs to the hotel are in the spa there is only 1 hot tub for the whole spa which is very small and reception staff allmost all of them are not local and dont speak maltese after all we are in malta work with locals you dont work in france and tell them a dont speak french right + maids allmost all of them are from asian thats a big no no for me nothing against asians but again we are maltese and guests like our culture and thats why I give it 4 star and not 5 ,the rest was awsome

• Stayed: February 2013
Loodee14, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear guest

I am glad that we could accommodate your partner’s needs in terms of nutrition and that your overall experience at the hotel was a positive one.

Your constructive comments about the various nationalities of our reception and housekeeping staff were duly noted. However, kindly note that we do have the great pleasure of hosting guests from all over the world. Le Méridien strives to embrace a cultural diversity that we find to be extremely enriching and that also gives us the opportunity to offer many different languages when providing our hospitality services to our esteemed clientèle.

May I also take the opportunity to thank you for your valued custom and for the time taken in sharing your views with the Tripadvisor community,

With my best regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2013

On Saturday 9th of Feburuary we went for dinner at Scirocco restaurant at the Le Meridian in St Julians. My wife and myself arrived a bit earlier than our guests so we decided to have an aperitif in the KU DE TA lounge bar. It was a real wow, all the staff saying good evening and welcoming us, directing us to empty seats, recomanded wine , in other words they really made us feel welcome and at home. Drinks were served and one could see that they have high standard with the way drinks were served although i would recomend to serve some peanuts or Bar snacks with the drinks.

At around 9.15 we went for the seafood buffet at the Scirocco restaurant. We were greeted at the door and directed to our table at the far end of the restaurant on a cosy area with a very nice view of Balluta bay. A waitress came, offered and served wine and water and we started dinner. Now this is the sad part of it. The food was nothing special. On the starter area one could find a very big choice of chopped vegtables, 2 dishes of cured meats, 1 dish of mussles, 1 dish of fried breaded fish, 1 dish of terrine, and 1 dish of marinated king prawns and 3 dishes of cheese on a Sea Food Buffet. I asked the cooked doing the live cooking what the Terrine was made of and and he asked me to wait so that he will check with somebody else , Then we asked if we could get more Tiger Prawns as the dishes on both sides were empty. After 5 minutes of waiting we were served some Tiger prawns. I would have liked to find some smoked salmon or smoked swordfish on the starter counter and please do put name tags next to the food as name tags were missing next to themed food, Just a suggestion but maybe a nice cheese table with some biscuits and grapes would look nicer on the buffett instead of putting 3 dishes with cheap diced cheese next to the mussles. This is dinner not breakfast.

We ate the starter and went to the buffett to get some Pasta. There was a choice of two, one pasta with chicken and one pasta with salmon. The Pasta with salmon finished after only one of us took a portion. Again we asked the chef if we can get some Pasta with Salmon , he said ok but the Pasta never arrived. We took some pasta with chicken instead but was stone cold no one ate it, maybe a can or two of chafing fuel under the shavers would solve the problem.

Main corse was next. Well again, There was live cooking but this time the cook was no where to be seen. There was Tuna, swordifsh and one piece of Salmon, My wife took the piece of Salmon and it was finished, There was also an empty shaver with a name tag saying chicken underneath it but no chicken was left. Finally the cook arrived and I asked for some chicken, he told me that he will check if there was any left. Well we went to our table and ate what was left for us on the buffett to eat. Ten minutes later the man in charge came and asked if we have asked for some chicken, I explained that we were having some problems. Some time later the same person delivered some chicken to our table himself but unfortunatley the chicken was undercooked and really bad.

Desert looked like it was the leftovers from a previous wedding or private function, party shaped dry deserts apart from the Tiramisu and again no name tags.

The price was Euro 25.50 including wine but come on, whatever the price is I expect to get 5 star food in a 5 star hotel. It looks like the hotel want to cut some food costs to keep the price down and serving the cheapest food on the market to its clients. It is really a shame because the service was so good, all the staff gave a fantastic service, topping of wine, checking if we needed some thing else and the man in charge took so much extra care of us that I was sorry for him looking so worried and trying his best to try to convince the kitchen staff to do it right. I think that the head chef has no idea of what is going on in his restaurants because every chef has pride of what he serves to his clients but unfortunatley there was no food at Scirocco restaurant, let alone Pride !!!

We were offered a free coffee and a free digestive.

At around 23.00 we left the restaurant and went for a final drink at KU DE Ta and we were served the Mr Mathew Vella. He is a real profesional and he really know what he is doing. All the bar staff were amazing and also another girl blonde was very friendly.

I am not a person who normally complains, infact I only post positive comments on trip advisor but I was let down so much here with the food and felt so ashamed from my guests especially as I was the one who suggested that restaurant that I had to write a post.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Inler111
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I paid for my parents to stay here for their Christmas present. It was their second time there and they were given a free upgrade to a deluxe room with a wonderful sea view.

They absolutely loved their experience at this hotel and we all dined in the restaurant one evening which was just amazing.

No complaints at all, staff all friendly and very helpful. There was a small error on the bill and this was corrected at check out with apologies and no quibbling.

I live in Malta and we will be eating at the hotel regularly from now on as our children were welcomed and there and there was such a variety to eat that we were all kept busy all night with trying most of it. It was great value for us.

My parents will most certainly be returning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

It is a real pleasure for me to read your review and I am delighted that your parents had an excellent stay at Le Meridien St Julians. I have shared your positive comments with the teams and we are glad that your parents enjoyed the upgrade extended to them.

Thank you also for your constructive feed-back with regards to your dining experience at Scirocco Restaurant. We are very grateful for your custom and we are certainly looking forward to hosting you and your family again very soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Very dirty and inadapted sanitary measures in the Spa (cloakroom, pool, ways in wet area with shoes, staff...) give to the whole hotel a very bad image. Then the leaking sink, the strong AC vibration starting 8am till 6pm (get land view, 10th floor, last week of January 2013), the incredible in-room Internet fare (15€/day!!!) drive you all crazy... No explanations from the staff apart 'sorry for the inconvenience'
Sorry but next time I'll try Hilton or Radisson in Paceville

• Stayed: January 2013
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I must admit I find the comments extremely surprising as this is without a doubt definitely not the level of product and service that we offer to our guests. Needless to say we are extremely interested to hear back from you regarding this as it will enable us to clearly identify the issues raised and I kindly invite you to contact me directly on my email franco.vella@lemeridien.com

I would be more than pleased to deal with the matter personally.

While I once again thank you for your comments, I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely,

General Manager.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

We went as a family of 4 including 2 young kids. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Restaurant food was great. We spend Christmas at the hotel and they made it special for all of us to remember. Absolutely loved their indoor pool.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Guest,

I am glad to know that you and your family had a great time for Christmas at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers! I am particularly pleased with the positive comments you highlighted with regards to the service provided by our staff. I will certainly share your review with the rest of the team.

Should you wish to visit us again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly (all details are on our official website).

Thank you so much for your custom and for your time.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We went to this hotel on our Honeymoon , the staff made it such a special trip , they went out of there way to help us and make us feel comfortable.

We were upgraded to a suite , the room was very comfortable and had a wonderful view , the room was one of the cleanest I have ever seen !!

The buffet breakfast was amazing ! such variety and the food was all cooked fresh and was lovely.

The spa pool was great , I had a facial which was very reasonably priced , the only down side was a slightly sour faced Eastern European girl that did my facial .

The reception staff were great , very helpful and always friendly . Room service great .

Clean hotel beautiful location. Great views

Room Tip: Higher room gets a better view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katewoodland247

Dear Reviewer,

First of all, allow me once again to congratulate you and your partner on your recent union. We sincerely appreciate you having selected our hotel for your honeymoon and we are delighted to read that your experience amongst us was a very positive one.

We have shared your comments with all our associates and we thank you for taking the time to highlight the good services they provided you with.

Whilst hoping to welcome you soon again, I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a lifetime of happiness, on behalf of our entire team.

With best regards,

Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have been to the seafood buffet dinner at the Scirocco Restaurant last Saturday to celebrate my parent's anniversary. We were more than satisfied. Large variety of food for a reasonable price and free flowing wine throughout the whole night was a bonus ! We got a real five star service! Staff very friendly and efficient. Thank you to all ! I strongly recommend Scirocco Restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. It is a pleasure for us to read that you had a great dining experience at our Scirocco Restaurant and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feed-back with the online community.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you again in the near future,

Kind Regards

#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!