“Bliss'”

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Bliss'”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Booked a week away with A1Travel (not a wise choice!!) after reading really bad reviews on Trip Advisor about the previous hotel that was part of the package! So we frantically booked
Le Meridien St. Julians and thank goodness they had a room!!
The week spent there was pure Luxury' the room and room service was utmost' or shall we say uttermost!! the food was exceptional' we indulged each morning to a bottle of (free) Champagne this is what a 5 star hotel is all about! which became a standing joke with the staff as the last morning we went down for breakfast at 7.00 am due to our early flight well' there at our table was a bottle of champs on ice Lol!! tis' was a tad' early but we managed half the bottle (not to lose face) Lol!!
The hotel was on the main drag of St.Julians and very central to the clubs and shopping centre 10-15 mins walk depending on how hot it was...bringing me to the pool which was on the roof top with views of Malta and great for sun bathing, catching the sun every which way you turned! lovely loungers/sun umbrellas if needed along with the bar food/snacks which where very tasty our complements to the chef again...there is a indoor pool/spa also great for an evening dip..
For excursions Mario the concierge is your main man' but if not there they are all helpful.... Tisziana and Dorota seem to be running the (joint) reception (we go to bed their there we get up their there) they are both very efficient members of staff and a big thank you for making our stay so pleasant as nothing was to much for them to give us a great relaxing week in the sun....

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely... you may ask to view the/your room if you have a preference. Do have a look...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ange346
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about our property and for sharing your experience with other fellow travelers.

It is always a pleasure reading such lovely words about our members of staff and their dedication to provide an excellent service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation and for your valued custom.

We all look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,
Gilbert Xuereb

Guest Experience Ambassador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

staff often inexperienced and inadequately trained. No visible or apparent management. Fire Alarm in the middle of the night was handled very poorly and no information given. Lifts are pathetic, but new ones are being installed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com

1 Thank experiencedtravel90
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at our property.

It is disappointing to read that our service did not meet your expectations. I would like to first apologize for any misunderstanding that occurred regarding the fire alarm. We do take the safety and security of our in-house guests very seriously and such a fire alarm testing is done periodically during the year at different timings of the day to safeguard the wellbeing of our in-house guests and associates. This will ultimately result in our associates being prepared for any emergency situation. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused but hope for your kind understanding about such an important procedure.

As it is correctly illustrated in your feed-back, we are currently upgrading our lifts with the most efficient and innovative software in the hospitality industry to make sure that our guests get the best service possible.

It would be a real pleasure if you could provide me with further feedback regarding your stay: it is trough such comments that we can continue improve the services that we offer to our guests. Feel free to contact me directly by e-mail (my email address is available on our official website).

With kindest regards
Gilbert Xuereb

Guest Experience Ambassador
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We had a two week stay over Christmas in a junior suite. On booking in we were advised we had a standard room although I had specifically booked a junior suite. The travel agent sorted this quickly once we contacted them, but the hotel insisted on charging up front.

Our room was large with plenty space for the extra single bed. Air con has become heating for the winter and it was too hot and airless at night, even in December. We had to sleep with the balcony door open and the net curtain didn't stop the few biting insects which found us in the night. We could hear noise from other rooms and from the corridor at times.

Room servicing wasn't great. We took the opportunity to "make a green choice" and didn't have the room serviced every day. We should have been credited with points/ a voucher but the maid didn't seem to know what I was talking about and the front desk staff were less then efficient, though always friendly. The was a similar issue with Internet access, when I accidentally accepted a charge and my husband rectified it within minutes it still appeared on the bill, and when we explained what happened they offered to charge only half ! Not an acceptable level of service.

Food was of good quality in the Scirroco restaurant, and with an extensive selection, although we only ate breakfast. Plates were only warm on one or two occasions and are occasionally dirty. Staff knew us well by the end and were very friendly. Chefs helpful. Christmas Day breakfast was beautifully presented.

Spa was lovely - there is a time of day when children arrive and it's a little noisy, but otherwise it's warm, relaxing and the quality of massage was very good.

Location is central and free parking is a bonus.

Room Tip: Room 613 front facing but limited view over bay and church. SPG room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
ExecutiveOfficeMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feed-back with other travelers. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you felt necessary to highlight. I am grateful that you are bringing these matters to my attention: our guests' genuine feed-back is a precious tool for our operational teams in their strive to the continuous improvement of our services.

This being said, I would also appreciate further insights on your experiences in order to possibly take the most appropriate measures if relevant. Please do feel free to reach out to me personally via email (my email address is available on our official website) so I can better understand what happened with your room reservation and if the wrong charges on your bill were eventually fully rebated.

I am glad to read that our breakfast offering was to your satisfaction and I do take note of your positive comments with regards to our staff friendliness. We are delighted to have been able to host you for our Christmas Day Breakfast.

Looking forward to discuss and to hopefully have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future,

With many thanks for your time and custom,
Best Regards,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel over looking the bay. Rooms are all very good with most having sea views and balconies. Breakfast is also very good. Try asking for an upgrade. 10 mins walk to the new business district. Try the high building cocktail bar at the top. It's free to visit.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive comments and ratings.

May I take this opportunity to wish a fantastic New Year to you and your loved ones?

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future,

Best regards,
Marsascala, Malta
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had our Staff Christmas Dinner Party at the Scirocco Restaurant at the Le Meridien and it was an excellent event. We found a delectable array of dishes with asian/mediterranean flavours. Local Wine was also an excellent choice and easy on the palate. Dessert dishes where innovative especially the coconut tart which was to die for. Good value for money and all of us enjoyed it. Keep it up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting our hotel and for placing your trust in our hands for the organisation of your Christmas Party. I am delighted to read that the event was up to your expectations and that you had a great dinner time with us.

I will certainly pass on your compliments to our Chef and his kitchen brigade,

With my heartfelt greetings,

Best regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Location great, rooms nothing fancy, even though I had a bay facing junior suite. spa was a nice addition , however overcrowded at times. breakfast was ok, best thing was that Benoit makes the best omelette and is really a very hospitable guy. Insisted that I started my breakfast before it got cold and he would bring me my omelette. Free parking is a plus as having a car in Malta is convenient. Elevators were really and dated though upgrading in process. Executive lounge was depresing and food items were basic. went once on the first day and never bothered to return for the rest of my stay.
Overall an average stay but to have admit that it was the worst Le Meredien I have stayed at, ever.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

I am extremely concerned to read about your poor perception of our property as one of Le Méridien Hotels worldwide. I unfortunately cannot go back in time to improve your experience with us but I do hope that we will have the opportunity to discuss some of the points you highlighted in your review.

Firstly, I am sorry if the contemporary decor of our guest rooms was not to your liking. As you rightly pointed out, we are in the process of upgrading our elevators. Two of them have already been completed and the other two lifts should be completely set up by the end of February. We have indeed selected the most efficient lift technology for these refurbishments and I do hope that this noticeable improvement will make a positive difference in the eventuality of your next visit.

Thank you for mentioning Benoit: I will make sure to pass on your positive comments to the team as well. I am also glad that you found the central location of the hotel to be an ideal one indeed. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly via email (address available on official website) should you wish to discuss your experience with our Executive Lounge. Our guests' constructive feed-back is very valuable to our team.

With best regards,
Rabat, Malta
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Underneath is a copy of the email I sent to the GM this morning.... I think it explains in detail our experience!!!

I am writing this email in regards to my recent stay at Le Meridien. I would firstly like to apologise to you for having to send such an unpleasant email as I have to say that after my numerous stays at your hotel I never expected to have to send this.

I booked a one night stay for Saturday, 7th December , in September through a promotion that meant that a room for 2 adults was either 88euro or 92euro (I'm afraid I can't remember the exact amount), which is the reason I booked the room so far in advance. After booking it, I got my confirmation email and as far as I was concerned had paid for the room.

Saturday came and I made sure to print off all my confirmation details. I would like to point out that this weekend was to begin Christmas celebrations with my daughter. I am a very busy self-employed single mother (as you can see from how long it has taken me since the event in question to write this email), who sadly due to my job does not get to spend as much time as most mothers with my child so as you can imagine, little treats are incredibly important for us. We started our little getaway by going Christmas shopping and going to see Father Christmas and then made our way to the Hotel for check-in at 3 o'clock. We were greeted by the receptionist, Dorota and proceeded to check in. Upon this, it began to unfold that there was no booking in our name. After giving all my reservation details I was informed that there was absolutely no record of our booking on the system. Although this had already wasted about 30 minutes, Dorota said that it could easily be solved by just making a new reservation. It was at this point, after another long conversation where I worried about my payment made at the time of booking, that I was told that a payment had never been made. As I truly believed that I had, I wasn't comfortable making another payment, yet at that time I didn't have any bank statements and was not in a situation to be able to get hold of any papers. My solution to this was to go home and look further into the matter, rearranging the stay for another time. However, my daughter was incredibly upset by the this as she was desperate to start her "holiday" at your hotel (she loves staying) and it was now actually gone 4pm so it was decided that I would book the room again, paying 109euro and then if I was able to prove my payment I would be refunded the money. At first Dorota was a little unresponsive but, as she continued to deal with this problem and communicate by phone with a colleague in Reservations, she was extremely nice and endeavoured to do all she could for us to solve the problem.

We finally arrived in our room which had been upgraded to a Junior Suite and it was both very comfortable and pleasant. Because of the delay checking in and my daughter by this point needing a rest, we were unable to use the pool in the Spa at the allotted time allowable for children. We were also unable to eat in the Bar as we had originally planned due to it being closed for a private function. As a result of these hiccups, we made the decision to order take away pizzas and eat them in the room while still being able to take advantage of the happy hour. I arranged to pick the pizzas up 8pm so we got to the bar for 7.15pm which at that time was quiet. Now, having worked in the hospitality industry during my student days, I found the set up of the temporary bar in reception very compact with everything to hand. I ordered a Mojito, a Cosmopolitan and a juice for my daughter. At approximately 7.40pm, the barman came over to inform me that unfortunately that night I was not able to have a Mojito. What was amusing is that up to now, I have stayed at your hotel this year in February, March and June respectively and so far I have not once successfully been able to have a Mojito! Once the reason I was given was that there was no mint in the hotel. If that is the case, may I suggest that you possibly grow your own herbs on the hotel premises, you could have them in planters dotted around the outside terrace areas. I'm sure guests would be impressed seeing the barman go outside in order to pick fresh herbs (as I was when in Sicily earlier this year the barman did such a thing and I found it incredibly resourceful and novel). In the end I decided on a Bloody Mary and at 8pm we finally got our drinks (as I have already stated, I should have been picking my pizzas up at that time). Now, please don't get me wrong, the members of staff working the bar that night were very pleasant but, it was obvious that they weren't fully knowledgeable on the more intricate parts of bar work such as, how to prepare cocktails. This was no fault of theirs but, surely of the bar management,who should ensure that fully qualified staff are covering the bar at all times. When I went to pay for the drinks at the bar with my card, I was told that they didn't have the facilities to put through a payment on my card and that I would I have to go to Reception in order to make a payment. Again, I would like to point out that I was now late to pick up the pizzas so I asked whether I could have the drinks, totalling 11euro, charged to my room and the barman replied that it was fine. After signing for the drinks I got my daughter ready to leave and my guest went to the reception to ask for a bottle opener as we did not have one in the room and the bar staff only had one between them. She requested a bottle opener, an extra pillow and two paIrs of slippers as there were none in the room. When the receptionist asked if we had an opener in the mini bar we explained that we could neither get into the mini bar nor get access to any of the television channels, not even International news. The receptionist explained to us after hearing our explanation that because I had declined to put down a deposit for expenditures within the hotel which I'm sure you can understand after having to pay unexpectedly for the room and after finding out that the bar was not offering food that evening, there was little point in my mind to leave one. Yet, still whenever I have stayed before complimentary water and soft drinks have been provided in the room, this time there were none. Luckily, when I went Christmas shopping I had been to the supermarket so I went to my car and used the drinks I had bought: juice, water, wine (hence the need for an opener).

When we returned to the room after picking up the pizzas (which were now cold) a pillow and the slippers had been left but no bottle opener. Soon after returning, the phone rang. My guest answered it and was met with a male voice, presumably of one of the receptionists, accusingly saying: "You have taken something from the third floor"! My guest, at this point panicked at what she could have taken to be accused of such a thing was then told: "You had a Cosmopolitan, a fruit juice and a Bloody Mary. You cannot leave the bar without paying! You are not entitled to sign for drinks as you didn't put down a deposit against such charges". Flabbergasted, my guest handed me the phone and the same thing was repeated to me in an the same accusatory tone. I did not have the energy to go into an explanation as to the bar being ill-equipped for me to make a payment on my card but, instead pointed out that a deposit of at least 60euro hardly made sense against the minimal amount of 11euro and that I would duly pay for what was being made to seem like an incredibly large amount the following morning at check out. The man in question to whom I spoke, had a manner that quite frankly made me feel like I was nothing more that a petty thief or a conman who was merely out for what I could get, which is actually how I was made to feel for the entirety of my stay. Another point I would quickly like to make is that if the man in question is actually the man I saw at reception when asking about the bottle opener all I can say is that I would have expected far more at a 5 star in regards to his attire. I don't really think a man with no tie and an open necked shirt is the image that your hotel would like to portray, is it? I ended my telephone conversation with the gentleman by telling him that no bottle opener had been brought to our room and could we please have one. Shortly after there was a knock at the door. When I opened it, a member of staff was stood there with a bottle opener in hand. I was then asked to take the bottle that I wanted opening to her, for her to open for me, in the corridor, I was not allowed use of her ever so precious utensil, just imagine, I may just have slammed the door in her face and kept it for myself. My lesson has been learnt, next time I will endeavour to take my own bottle opener with me.

We had a very enjoyable nights sleep we arrived at the restaurant for breakfast at 8.30pm and were met by a lovely waitress who after taking our room number, showed us to a table and swiftly brought us tea and coffee. After a bit of a disaster with cereal (the rice crispies that were advertised were not in fact the original rice crispies and were actually not very nice at all which led to my daughter refusing to eat them, which I understood), we went to the hot buffet section in order to get a hot breakfast (another favourite aspect of our stay for my daughter). But, we were rather upset to see that the chef that had been working on the egg station the last time we had visited, Anthony, was not there. We found him the best chef we had met on all our visits. Being English ourselves, it's always nice to see someone from the UK in which you can reminisce with, even better in Anthony's case because we found out through chatting that we're both from the north of England. Not only was he friendly, taking time while cooking to actually converse with us (and I noticed that this is something that he did with all guests sometimes under what looked like pretty stressful conditions), but he also asked whether we would like one or two eggs and how we would like them cooked. In comparison, although the chef on duty was not unpleasant, I was not asked how many eggs I would like, I was not asked how I would like my eggs cooked and I most definitely wasn't talked to while waiting for my egg, although, I'd like to point out that I was in fact the only person stood at the hot food station at the time. This is the exact same thing that happened to my guest and daughter when they went to get their hot breakfast and their eggs were actually cooked in the same pan and then halved and put on their individual plates! A final point in regards to breakfast is that after getting a plate of various pastries, pancakes and waffles to eat with a last coffee we ended up leaving the pancakes and waffles as they most certainly didn't taste the same as in June, in fact they reminded me of something my daughter can make with her playdoh! Please revise the recipe for other guests. One thing that was nice to see though as always was that the attentiveness of the chefs who were constantly replenishing food on both the hot and cold buffet.

Lastly on the agenda for our stay was to go the Spa so my daughter could finally go for a swim in the pool. We arrived at the spa, my daughter picking which loungers we would have with my guest while I signed us in. At this time, similarly to the bar the previous evening, the spa was very quiet, one man was laying on a lounger and another was sat in the hot tub. We all got in the pool and were encouraging my daughter to swim and not be lazy as due to summer and snorkelling she has all but forgotten how to swim with her head above water. A moment later, a member of the spa staff came over to us and told us the keep the noise down. Now, I admit that we may not be the quietest of people and that maybe we were speaking a little too loudly but there is also the fact that sound carries across water. The situation that immediately followed was the thing that angered us the most. The aforementioned member of staff, the one that told us to be quite, walked past the pool up to the spa area with a colleague, talking extremely loudly and laughing! My guest on impulse made a shushing sound, by this point with everything that had happened our patience had run short and the hypocrisy in what had just come to pass was just too much. And then, a fitness class started! Yes, two adults and a child talking are far louder than a group of women jumping around to loud thudding music and an instructor shouting what to do at regular intervals! I can imagine, if this is the case, that we were also louder than the women waiting outside the class who were all excitedly talking, especially seeing as they were given no slap on the wrist for their level of noise. Or it could just be a case of one rule for one and another rule for another. Especially seeing as when I have been to the spa on previous occasions with my daughter, there have been Maltese families there, several of the children making an incredible amount of noise and in actual fact being down right boisterous, enough to stop my daughter from swimming near them, yet, nothing was ever said to them. It has always been a presumption of mine that seeing as there is a time when children are allowed to use the spa facilities and a time when they are forbidden, the time when they are allowed is slightly more relaxed, a time where a happy medium comes into play rather than having to constantly whisper and tell your child to be quiet, panicking that someone will shout at you for making too much noise. It actually brings back memories of school! What is the saddest part of the story for me is that I actually taught my daughter to swim in the pool last February and up until my most recent stay I had incredibly happy and special memories there. My guest, having not enjoyed her time in the pool, decided to go back to the room early and upon leaving the spa placed her towel on the desk that she had received it from, as not seeing any other place to put it, she thought that was the place to put it. The female member of staff (the one that had reprimanded us for our bad behaviour of being too loud) now informed my guest to "make sure that in the future she put her towel in the basket provided" in a tone which dripped of superciliousness and made my guest feel extremely small and uncomfortable. My daughter and I decided to cut our losses shortly after and also leave early. As a result of our previous stays, I knew where to put my towel but now upon exiting the spa I was given two return towel cards. On reading the small print of the card it stated that if you did not return your cards to reception when checking out then you were liable for a fine of 10euro (I can't exactly remember the amount). After arriving back at my room and telling my guest about this, she yet again panicked, this time because she had received no such ticket, just a detrimental lecture. I actually had a question I needed to ask a member of staff in the spa regarding a package of a block of treatments I bought in March but, due to the attitude of the staff and the whole stay in general, I decided I didn't need any more aggravation.

Our stay finally at an end, we went to the reception, where the receptionist on duty was again Dorota, to settle the outstanding bar account and return our key cards. She was yet again very pleasant and eager to please, she asked my daughter if she'd like to choose a key card to take home with her (something which my daughter was very happy about as she believed that this meant the next time we came to stay she would already have the card to open the door: "don't worry mama, now, next time I come I can open the door myself bless her). Dorota also asked if our stay had been a pleasant one. Unable to hide my feelings, I mustered up a long awkward "hmmmm, well", at which point she asked me if there was anything she could do to make it right. Sadly, there was nothing, with all the will in the world, one person and their good can not make up for all the negative people and situations so, I simple asked for your name and contact details and thanked her for all the help she had given us as she had been excellent.

As I've already said, I also came to your hotel in June, bringing my aunt with me who had come over from the UK and at that time we both wrote glowing reviews about the hotel, spa and restaurant (specifically the chef) on Tripadvisor, both of which were appreciatively commented on by a representative of the hotel. This is far from the situation we're in now. In the six months since I last stayed at your hotel I feel that standards have slipped and that the attitudes of your staff have also greatly deteriorated. It is a great shame when someone who used the hotel regularly as a "gettaway" to relax and spend some well needed precious time with their child is made to feel like they are inferior. Nothing more than a conman that just can't be trusted. I was made to feel victimised and quite frankly bullied throughout my stay at your hotel and that put me in what felt like a very vulnerable position. Leaving the hotel, I did not feel refreshed and ready for Christmas at all, instead I questioned whether I would ever want to stay at Le Meridien again, especially seeing as the people who know about our story have told us that we would be fools to and they would never return if it were them.

Due to such a terrible experience this time at Le Meridien, coupled with the fact that I always write about my stay when it is positive, I will also be putting a briefer version of this on Tripadvidor in the hope that some of what I write about will be noted and the correct action will be taken to rectify the problems raised so that this doesn't happen again and that your hotel will not be put under dispripute.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sheps1227
Dear Guest,

I had indeed taken note of your review a little while ago as I received a copy directly via email and I sincerely thank you for that. I do hope that the follow-up that I have personally provided you with on this issue is up to your satisfaction.

I do remain at your entire disposal for any future assistance you may need. Once again, I do apologize for the unfortunate series of events that lead to such a poor perception of our property and I am looking forward to welcoming you again for your next visit,

With kind regards to you and your loved ones,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!