“Exception 10 night stay over Christmas and New Year”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We enjoyed a warm and welcoming stay here over the Christmas and New Year holiday. We had a Sea View with a balcony and as a Gold SPG member, access to the Executive Lounge. The staff, spa, breakfast and location were all excellent. There were little glitches along the way (as there always is with hotels) but the staff and Management quickly responded to them. We were made to feel at home and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Sea view with a balcony
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other fellow travelers.

The positive review has been forwarded to the whole team. I am glad to read that our follow up was up to your satisfaction.

We all look forward to having you with us in the near future.

The entire team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa wishes you a wonderful 2014 filled with great love, good health and happiness.

Best regards,

Guest Experience Ambassador

Write a ReviewReviews (2,769)

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Been to this hotel for a weekend break and can say that the experience was very nice! Special thanks go to Damian at the Scirocco restaurant and Jesmond at the lobby, who were both very professional buahhhhbibbut at the same time friendly and welcoming! The hotel is great and the food is suberb, especially at the lobby!!

Thanks for making our stay a weekend to remember :)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for mentioning members of our staff who contributed in making your experience a positive one.

I really do hope that we can all welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation and for your valued custom.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

If during high-season 110€ per night was a steal, how does 80€ during low-season for country-view room on the 7th floor sound? Answer: The bargain of the decade. Having rightfully lauded this hotel to the skies last time we visited in August 2013, I cannot but repeat that this Hotel boasts a few excellent items and many superb ones.

The Spa is one of the best on the island. The pool is not amongst the largest or deepest, and not allowing kids in the area from 10:00 till 18:00 is far from family-friendly, especially since most sub-8 year olds need to be asleep by 21:00 and that gives them only a couple of hours in the evening. But it does boast seriously heated water devoid of excessive chlorine, unlike that of another Hotel I reviewed last September which literally discoloured my wife's expensive bikini it reeked so much of the stuff. The whole area is quiet, beautifully-lit, cozy, inviting and a true haven of relaxation. It really tempts you into acquiring Spa treatments which I'm sure would only enhance the superb experience.

With regards to the Restaurant, having had more time to scrutinize certain details, I did notice the odd dark spot here and there. The nice touch of offering Red Leicester cheese with breakfast was somewhat ruined by the fact that it was far from fresh - unlike most other items surrounding it which shouted crispness and colour - in fact it had started curling round the ends and darkening - certainly uninviting and an utter pity. Ditto the 'fresh egg station'. There's a Chef totally dedicated to cooking eggs and that's something I really admired. But when my daughter chose an omelette and I saw him picking a mixture out of a large pot and pouring it in a pan I must say I was a bit disappointed. When my daughter failed to eat even half of it and tasted it I could understand why. It had a strange non-eggy taste and the texture was way too rubbery. Ditto the pancakes, which on our first day were an excellently executed confection, but on the second a bit tough. I reported all these (and a few other) incidents there and then to the smart, confident, very polite and nice restaurant manager who assured me he would pass my comments to the Chef.

While we are on the theme of personnel, again it seems like a mixed bag - most of it lives up to the Hotel's high standards, especially, I must say, the locals - on any level. The foreigners can either satisfy or disappoint - especially the receptionists. The (local) lady who took my call for the reservation was the last word in anything you can throw at a front-office person - efficient, soft-spoken yet pleasantly assertive and completed the booking in the blink of an eye without asking for too many details. The receptionist who checked us out, on the other hand, took no less than 15 minutes fidgeting with the customer who was checking out before me (making me lose precious time and ensuring I arrived late at the concert I was to attend later) and even had the nerve to ask me to stand aside the enormous desk because she was 'dealing with another customer', who apparently had gotten so bored waiting that he wandered off about the reception. I hear you ask where she was from...well, she was not local.

We also had the opportunity to witness some repairs going on. The already adequate elevators seemed to be undergoing a full overhaul, being converted to ultra-modern and superbly elegant units with top-to-bottom mirrors, ultra-bright modern lighting and audio-systems. The already converted half were in the process of being finished-off, while the other half were neatly stacked away behind full-height white partitioning. Maintenance personnel was no less polite than the waiting staff and not one single time inconsiderate or noisy.

The room was perhaps the only item I could find absolutely nothing to criticize - except for the toilet which lacks a sink (found in the separate bathroom which comprises a corner bath and separate shower) but includes an extra telephone - odd. Cleanliness was reminiscent of a sanitization ward, the colour-scheme mellow and relaxing, the TV a decent cable-equipped premium-brand 37-inch LCD, all the furniture sturdy and smooth, the beds firm, supportive and truly big and comfy, there is a clothes-iron complete with board, a kettle along with a variety of coffees, teas and sugars, top-quality soaps, shampoos and body-lotions...they have REALLY thought of everything and skimped on nothing. Energy-saving lamps coupled with motion sensors to switch off any accidentally left-on lighting make it a green institution - along with the chance to renounce to house-keeping and towel-changing.

I may have highlighted a few negative points here and there, but at the end of the day they did nothing to taint the superb reputation this Hotel has with me and my wife. It's still one of the best Hotels we've ever been to in the last 7 years, and is the perfect environment to relax. Its location is also a bonus. It stands in the heart of Malta's top entertainment sector - close enough to travel to on foot yet far enough to be completely oblivious of the racket such an industry inherently generates. Bottom-line: we would return in a blink!

Room Tip: Sea-view rooms are just a little bit more value compared to country-view. Kids HATE being sent out o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments about our property and for sharing your experience with other fellow travelers.

It is a pleasure reading such wonderful words about our members of staff and their dedication to provide the best possible service.

All the team is looking forward to welcoming you back at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Should you have any special requirement for your next stay, feel free to contact me directly by email which is available on our official website.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We spent one week in this hotel around Christmas time. It was a bit bumpy start because hotel did not order a taxi for us and also instead of king size we got a twin bed room. We called the reception and they moved us to another room, which btw had much better sea view. In all fairness i need to say that we arrived early and it was nice that hotel provided us with room without waiting. The room facilities are of good condition, good quality of beds, linen and towels.

Location is excellent, a lot of restaurants and bars around, also a sight seeing tour bus stop is just 3 min walk from the hotel. We can recommend Barracuda and Padre Piccolo places for dinner, it is just 5 min walk, great sea view and nice food. By the hotel there is also a small brasserie which opens at 10.00 am and serves excellent breakfasts (around 8 Euro). It is much better than hotel breakfast for 17.50 Euro per person with nothing special.

Spa area is small with limited number of beds, so it may easily get crowded with no place to lay down and relax. Spa procedures are excellent because of very professional people working there.

Overall a nice stay with some small things to be prepared for: expensive and not very delicious breakfast, cleaning of rooms is till 17.00 so after city tour you may find your room not cleaned, busy spa, slow elevators, noise from the parties on the terrace .

1  Thank taratuta

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment with other fellow travelers. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay at our property.

I do want to show my appreciation for the positive comments which were forwarded to the whole team.

As you accurately commented, our central location makes it easy for each guest to go around Malta and makes the most out of their trip, being on business or for leisure.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

A big thank you goes to Ms Elyse Borg for making our big day as smooth and as special as can be. She was very helpful and supportive all throughout the way. The food was also great and even our guests confirmed it. Chefs even catered for the wedding cake since I'm intolerant to wheat. Members of the Staff made our stay as memorable as possible. Honeymoon suite was superb! Would definitely recommend it to those who are planning their wedding in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the whole team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa, I congratulate you on your wedding and wish you a life full of happiness.

It is our pleasure reading such wonderful comments. I will surely pass this positive feedback to the events department, in particular to Ms. Elyse Borg who is our Events Manager.

As you rightly said, we cater for several dietary requirements especially gluten free. Just to keep you and fellow travelers updated, at the moment our Sunday Lunch has a section that specifically caters for guests with gluten intolerance.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our property in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I had a gift voucher from some friends to spend in Le Meridien Spa.
Spa and facilities are in a nice atmosphere.
My friends booked for me an Indian massage. I did not ask how it was as it was a surprise.
Before the massage they asked you to fill a form where they asks you if you have any health problems and your preferences for the coming treatment.
I wrote down (by chance) that I have heat skin sensitivity between other things. Then I discovered that the Indian massage was based on very very hot oil (warmed up on a hot plate) and it was a bit a torture for me. Now I guess nobody really reads the papers the reception asked the guests to fill!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Patricia S

Dear Reviewer,

I do personally apologize on behalf of the whole team about the disappointing experience that you had at the Spa. Rest assured that these comments were forwarded to key people within the department for immediate measures.

Thank you once again for your comment regarding our Spa, which is run by a third party company.

Adding to the above, it would be highly appreciated if you could provide me with further feedback regarding your experience. Should you wish to reach me directly, my email address is available on our official website.

Once again, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused and look forward to hearing from you.

With kindest regards,

Guest Experience Ambassador.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Antonella and Jessica at the reservation office took care of my family back in last August when we went for weekend break for my husband's birthday.

Service was excellent throughout and food quality in par with 5 star standard.

Looking forward for another stay there in the near future!

Room Tip: We booked a room overlooking the sea, so obviously we had a view to die for..
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LucienneAbela

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at our property. It is a pleasure reading such a positive feedback.

As you kindly indicated, we take great pride in the service that we offer to our guests. Jessica, Antonella and all the food & beverage associates have been notified about your review.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our property and should you have any special requirement, please do feel free to contact me directly on my email address (available on our official website).

With warmest regards,

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!