“EXCELLENT!”

Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Rio de Janeiro
“EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just an amazing hotel! One of the best I could have ever stayed. I do have to point out the paramount importance I must give to all the staff. There are fully trained to give you one of the most warm welcome ever!! I also have to point out the new elevator system which had trapped some people! Which was also quite funny! Congratulations for you all! Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: No doubts when it comes to choosing the best hotel in Malta!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for positive comments and ratings.

I am delighted ta read such lovely words about our members and their dedication to provide the best possible service.

All the team is looking forward to welcoming you back at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

Should you have any special requirement for your next stay, feel free to contact me directly via email (available on our official website).

Best regards,

Guest Experience Ambassador

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bolton England
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Having stayed at Le Meridien St Julians 2 years ago we had no hesitation in booking again for our January 2014 visit. We were not disappointed. This hotel is in a fantastic position on Balluta Bay surrounded by great restaurants and easy access to the excellent island bus system outside the door.

We were again impressed by the excellent staff. We had a deluxe sea view room on floor 7 with a large balcony. The room was large and very pleasant and the bathrooms are great having both bath tub and separate walk-in shower and separate toilet. Toiletries are kept topped up every day. The bed was both large and comfortable.

The breakfast has the most extensive choice – fruits, cereals, yoghurts, breads, hot options, continenetal section even champagne if you can take it first thing in the morning. This time the croissants and pastries were served warm which was nice. The staff constantly top up your coffee ( Illy) orange juice etc.

Although we were on bed and breakfast basis we did enjoy drinks in the Ku de Ta Lunge and had food in there one night which was excellent.

I must make special mention of the maintenance team who attended twice very promptly to a plumbing problem in the bathroom and one occasion was around 22.30 hours!!!

Thankyou to everyone at Le Meridien for another great stay – we shall be back!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are nice but the view from the rear rooms is not as bad as some reviewers would h...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other fellow travelers.

It always a pleasure reading such wonderful words about our property and the service that we offer to our guests. The review was forwarded to the entire team.

The whole team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel and Spa is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to show your appreciation and for your valued custom.

Yours sincerely,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Le Meridien St.Julian is in a good location overlooking Balluta bay. It’s not too close to the crowds, not too far from restaurants and shops. There is a bus station right in front of the hotel by the main road. The hotel staff are always cheerful and happy to assist. Breakfast buffet has good variety as well as a chef to prepare your choice of omelettes. Avoid staying at the old rooms overlooking the parking ! SPA and indoor swimming pool are good and well maintained, outdoor pool at top floor is smallesh and can be packed with people, better to go there early morning. We also went on one of the tours recommended by the hotel concierge to Golden Bay (6/10), it’s important to point out that the tour bus did not have any seatbelts in some of the seats ! Overall, a decent hotel, will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with other fellow travelers.

It is a pleasure to read such lovely words about our members of staff.

All the team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa is looking forward to welcome you amongst us once again.

With warmest regards,

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 31 January 2014

stayed three nights for a business conference so cannot comment on prices; room (facing the back alley) was fantastic; bathroom was gorgeous with a walk-in shower (don't care for bathtubs although the bathroom did have one); the complementary mouthwash was a VERY nice/thoughtful touch (people often forget to pack it); breakfast buffet was excellent; view from the rooftop pool is unmissable; HOWEVER, the whole experience was somewhat tarnished by the fact that they asked me to pay if i wanted internet access in my room; SERIOUSLY??? is the goodwill lost due to this practice worth the measly couple of euros in extra revenue? i think not; management should rethink this policy; ALSO, since the whole of Malta has the wrong type of power sockets i think management should be prepared for guests to be asking for power adapters; they were not; i had to buy one to use during my stay

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of the whole team about the issues that you encountered during your stay with us.

On the other hand, I would like to thank you for the positive feedback that you have provided to other fellow travelers regarding your experience at our property.

The review has been forwarded to the entire team.

Should you wish to provide me with further feedback, feel free to contact me via email (available on our official website).

With kindest regards,

Bruxelles
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Let’s start with the summary of my detailed review that you will find below after around 40 nights at Le Meridien St. Julian:

Pros:
- The staff. From the front desk to the various restaurants and bars, including housekeeping and of course the spa staff, I really appreciate their kindness. It’s such a difference when everybody has a smile on their face and you feel welcome.
- The general atmosphere of the hotel. Some might dislike the design of some parts of it, but all in, it is a very nice looking place.
- The various in house possibilities: 3 restaurants, 2 bars, a stunning Spa, a roof top swimming pool with a great sea view, beauty and health/massage treatments, in house tourist agency, hair dresser (Ground floor/Level 0).
- The location: walking distance to almost everything you might need. 4 excellent restaurants situated from 2 minutes walking to maximum 5.
- The bus stop in front of the hotel that will take you to the hearth of St Julian/Paceville in one direction or to the biggest shopping mall, the nicest sunbathing spots, the ferries and Valetta in the other.
- The smoking lounge at the lobby bar (Kudeta). If it’s too cold on the huge terrace, you will really enjoy to be allowed to smoke inside and have a drink.

Cons:
- The pedestrian entrance is at level 0 (street) and is not very nice looking. It’s a pity as the main lobby/front desk is at level 3 and is very nice.
- The living room of the executive suite is not very cozy and the furniture is a bit outdated.
- The executive lounge: choice is quite restricted.
- The elevators: they are working on it but it’s not yet finished. Two brand new ones are almost active now (December). But the truth is it will take another couple of months to have all 4 of them running smoothly.
- The Room Service late night menu: 3 choices and not the best ones.
- The keycards: failing from time to time and more important you need two of them as for late night entrance at level zero the room and lounge card does not open the front door! It is Room and Lounge or Room and Front door…

Dates of stays:
Around 40 nights between November 2013 till January 9th, 2014

The Exterior:
It’s a large hotel and it takes a serious space of the left bank of Baluta Bay. Having said that, as the bay is full of large buildings, Le Meridien is quite discreet and nice looking viewed from the bay.

The Area:
Perfect!
At 0 minutes walking you’ll find bars and restaurants (like Wigi’s Kitchen) as well as spots to sunbath and swim in the sea. No sandy beach here but locals don’t care about that and go for a swim right in the bay. The banks are rocky and still offer a nice opportunity to chill out in the sun.
At 5 minutes walking, you’ll find more bars & restaurants but also a real supermarket featuring all the stuff you might want (Grocery, Sun block, make up stuff, wine, food …).
At 10 minutes walking you will be in the heart of St. Julian, or should I say Paceville, where the action is. If you’re looking for an unlimited choice of bars, clubs and restaurants, that is where you want to go in the evening. Warning though. Paceville is for party people only. It’s completely different from the rest of St Julian and is closer to a Pataya or LasVegas atmosphere.
In short: Le Meridien location is perfect.

The Interior:
Lovely. The place is truly feeling like a luxury hotel and very well decorated.
From the lobby to the the various corridors, bars and restaurants, there is nothing negative one could say about the interior of this hotel.
I especially like the lobby bar. It makes me think of Miami SoBe’s hotels, like the Delano, in less trendy and impressive though.

Check in:
For my first stay and night, I arranged a Taxi pick up from Le Meridien. They came at the airport with an AMG Mercedes for a couple of euros more than the famous eCabs which are Maltas best deal.
My friendly driver dropped me at the check in and the young, yet very professional, girl on duty checked me in in less than 5 minutes.
All other check in were as efficient as the first one.

The room:
My typical room was 1043. It’s an Executive Suite. I have been upgraded in many hotels, sometime the suites are just above an average “DeLuxe” larger room.
This time, my Executive Suite is the real deal as it is very large.
Here is what you get:
- a living room with a separated toilet (featuring a sink and toiletries), opening on a balcony with a table and two chairs. A coffee machine (with Illy espresso), tea is also available, a sofa, a large 42 Inch flat screen television on the wall in front of it, a dinner table for four, a relaxing chair. It’s large and comfortable but a little cold. The furniture isn’t that nice.
- a separated large bedroom with king sized bed, a working desk, another relaxing chair, a minibar, a second 42 Inch flat tv, and another balcony with the same table and chairs.
- In the bedroom, there is a reasonable space for clothes: a large closet and 2 sets of drawers.
- There is a second restroom separated from the bathroom.
- The view from the balconies is simply breath taking!

The Bathroom:
There is a single sink, toiletries including tooth brush, razor, comb, and the other usual stuff. Oh, yes, the soaps are probably the nicest one I had in a hotel. I love them. The bathroom is divided in two areas: the main one, with the sink and a special shaped bath, but no “Jacuzzi”.
The second area offers a standing shower which is mandatory for me.
A little disappointment though: there is no hand held shower, only a ceiling mounted one.

The Bed:
It’s quite ok, but, there is disturbing smell of vinegar from time to time (sheets) and a plastic protection for the matrass which makes you feel like a new born or a very old incontinent person ;-) Also, the matrass is very firm, which could be a problem for some of you. For me it was fine and after a couple of nights I was used to it and slept very well….once I got rid of the plastic protection.

Internet
During my first day, the Wifi was disconnecting itself several times. Mr. Spiteri, the Reservation Manager told me it was due to a power outage.
From day two, all was perfectly working again. Such issues can happen.
I got confirmation that it was a 90 Mbps connection. Also, since the fix on day two, I had to enter my room number only once per 24 hours, it simply connects when opening the browser. This is certainly the fastest Wifi I experienced so far by the way.

The Breakfast:
As mentioned, for platinum members and Executive guests, it’s happening in the so called Executive lounge.
Although it doesn’t really matter to me, as I’m staying for such a long term, I sincerely think that a couple on a romantic break would qualify it as “poor”.
The lounge breakfast is very limited and, if it is more than enough for a solo business traveler who needs to move forward asap, it is certainly disappointing for other travelers who would love to spend an hour choosing from a huge selection.
The “main” breakfast buffet at level 2 is absolutely brilliant. Of course, this one is an extra charge, but it makes sense to go for it if you want to share a nice time with your lady/man.

For Smokers:
Le Meridien offers smoking rooms. But, if you are staying between march and November, you don’t really need one as each room has a balcony. I personally like to enjoy a view and the fresh air to smoke with a glass of wine on a balcony rather than smoking inside my room.

There is a very nice smoking lounge at the KuDeTa bar. Once again, it’s cool to go outside one the huge terrace of the lobby bar and restaurant. But in case it’s too cold or raining, in front of the main bar you will find a smoking lounge. There are 4 different alcoves with sofas and comfortable armchairs. The atmosphere is almost like in a non smoking area. That said a non-smoker would probably not appreciate it, but for us, smokers, it is very nice and nowhere close those stupid cages in airports. This smoking lounge allows a great time, dinning or having drinks while smoking. It’s very relaxing with dimmed lights which make the place peaceful.

The Executive lounge:
Breakfast is held between 7 and 11 AM and as mentioned the choice is quite small.
Once breakfast is finished, at 11:00 AM, there is nothing available except water and coffee.
At 4:00PM, there is a choice of appetizers, wine, beers and soft drinks.
This ends at 7:00PM.

Room Service:
After 11 PM, I was told that only the Moonlight menu was available: a choice of a cheese platter, chicken wraps with salad and potatoes crisp and a chocolate cake. That’s it. It would be lovely to add some salads and burgers. From what I have been told, a wider choice will be available very soon.

House Keeping:
I enjoyed a great service here. Each day I came back to my room having the feeling it was the first time someone was using the room.
Whatever request I made was fulfilled in no time.
It’s also nice to have the same lady, Elenka, taking care of your room most of the time when you stay for so long.
The Illy Espresso were refilled every day and I had many courtesy bottles of water.
Also, the toiletries were in more than sufficient quantities and refilled every day. No need to beg for an extra refill.

Fitness center/Wellness/Spa:
This is a fantastic spot for chilling.
You will get a wide range of wellness treatments, a wonderful and peaceful indoor pool, a sauna & steam room, and a very nice fitness center I strongly recommend this spa! Thumbs up!

Roof Top Swimming pool, sun deck and bar:
This area is stunning. Of course, due to the season (inter) the bar is closed. But you can still gain access to the sun deck and the pool. For the record, there is no staff on duty. So bring your towels and enjoy the quiet atmosphere of off season on the roof top. Evene in winter you can get a lovely sun tan.

The Restaurants and bars:
During my previous stay I was more than happy with The Villa and the Kudeta.
I had lunch & dinner in Kudeta and the service was very nice. The food is good too and the choice is quite wide. I do recommend it. Please check my separate review.

The Villa is another close by restaurant but not operated by Le Meridien anymore. Please check my separate review.

Business center:
Who needs them these days anyway? Not a lot of us for sure as if you’re working you will have your laptop anyway.
But, if you’re looking for a true business center, well, this one isn’t going to make your day. It is located in the Executive Lounge in a tiny corner of the lounge. That said, you can print which is eventually the only reason we might need a business center.

Various:
Ice machines are available close to the elevators.
Cigarettes are available from a vending machine at the KuDeTa bar.

Check out:
As a Platinum Member, I can check out later that the majority. So, of course, it was quiet fast to do so.
I will only pin a stupid bank issue. On check in I always leave a deposit for extras. That is billed to my card. After my first stay, though the bill was paid with the same credit card, the deposit was still blocked on my card. It took 30 days to get it back which correspond to the maximum deposit term for the acquiring bank anyway. No need to say that Le Meridien never asked me for another deposit during my next stays !

My conclusion:
I’ve been considered like a very important guest since day one. And After spending all these nights at Le Meridian, I still feel like a special guest.
Like any other human being I can be disappointed not having enough Illy Coffee refils or not having enough cotton buds, but at the end of the day, what makes my stays in hotels is the staff.
On this topic, I can simply say that whoever took care of me and my demands were absolutely professionals and friendly.

Shall I go back? Oh yes, for sure.
Even if for now, I wouldn’t mind to spend time in another property…for a change 

All the best,
Stephane

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank StephaneBxl
Dear Reviewer,

Let me start by thanking you on behalf of the whole team for this detailed review and for outlining that you had a positive experience with us.

I would further like to show my appreciation for the constructive comment that you felt necessary to highlight. It is trough such feedback that we can continue to improve our offerings.

Warm regards,

Gharb, Malta
Reviewed 27 January 2014

if you stay on a higher floor, you have the good views and on the balcony you feel as if you are walking on the street! The service is perfect, elevators are still a problem, but there is a very nice staircase to walk! Swimming pool is a great location, and also all the other facillities! A must go for a few days!

Room Tip: Sea view on the 9th or 10th level
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive feedback and ratings which were forwarded to the whole team.

I do want to personally apologize that our elevators have caused an inconvenience during your stay with us. We are currently in the process of renovating two out of the four lifts that we have at the property with the latest available technology in the hospitality industry to offer the best possible service to our valued guests.

Feel free to contact me directly by email (available on our official website) for further feedback.

All the team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa is looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Ascot, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We enjoyed a warm and welcoming stay here over the Christmas and New Year holiday. We had a Sea View with a balcony and as a Gold SPG member, access to the Executive Lounge. The staff, spa, breakfast and location were all excellent. There were little glitches along the way (as there always is with hotels) but the staff and Management quickly responded to them. We were made to feel at home and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Sea view with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other fellow travelers.

The positive review has been forwarded to the whole team. I am glad to read that our follow up was up to your satisfaction.

We all look forward to having you with us in the near future.

The entire team at Le Méridien St Julians Hotel & Spa wishes you a wonderful 2014 filled with great love, good health and happiness.

Best regards,

#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!