“5 star location but 3 star rooms”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“5 star location but 3 star rooms”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is my FIRST HOTEL REVIEW and but I feel I was let down greatly by this hotel. Even deeply saddened that it's a hotel in my own country that offers such poor service.

My colleagues and I stay at this hotel regularly due to our business travels. We also travel around the globe and stay in hotels on all 5 continents every week and we also work in the Hospitality industry dealing with an even greater audience of clients from all over. However unfortunately in my opinion this hotel is far away from a 5 star hotel. The rooms are quite plain with basic amenities, however not even one free bottle of water is offered as is done in all hotels where drinking tap water is not recommended (I've stayed in 3 star hotels in Asia where they offer 2 complimentary bottles of water on a daily basis to all guests). I also made use of the bar and was quite surprised by the lack of service, where no one was available in the afternoon to take our orders for at least 10 minutes looking around and asking one of the handymen to call someone.

After a morning out I returned to my room in order to prepare for work. As I attempted to iron my shirt, to my shock I found a red stain on my shirt, appearing to originate from the iron. As I lifted the iron to inspect, I found a large piece of red plastic attached to the bottom of the iron that had melted as the iron heated up. I was infuriated however called Service Centre, which also took a long time to respond, however on the 2nd attempt I actually got through. She said she was going to send someone however my shirt had a stain and time was passing. After I called again and 15 mins later someone finally showed up with a new iron. He told us housekeeping must have cleaned it and left something attached to it...NOW that's what I call great cleaning, they left a piece of red plastic attached to the iron and just left it there rather than replacing the iron. Did they think no one would notice? And even if it wasn't them but a previous customer, these things should be part of a basic room check before new customers enter the room. However not only was I running late now , but I heard a knock on my door, and as I open I find housekeeping asking me how much longer I have to get ready, as she had to clean for the next guests coming to the room in 15 minutes. I told her my checkout was not for another 45 minutes, and she looked at me disgruntled. I was SHOCKED! this has never happened to me in the hundreds of hotel stays that I've been at.

The front desk and concierge however are quite helpful as I was told by my colleagues. This is why I gave a 2 point rating rather than one. I have a strong feeling that management might not be aware of the situations or problems that arise within the hotel, as these are really quite sad for a 5 star luxury hotel, in a developed country. I was even in Zimbabwe one week before and was treated better with better room maintenance in a place where tourism is near to zero.

Management I hope this does not fall onto deaf ears. All I hope is that you take notice of these mishaps and improve the service as Malta depends on tourism, in which service should be top notch. If this was once and I was on my own I would not write, however my colleagues also seemed to have problems of their own which I shall not comment as they are not mine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear StephenZZ, thank you for your review, and I am equally disappointed as you when reading your experience. I apologize for the inappropriate service encounters you had during your stay. However, I would have preferred that you would have insisted on speaking with the Manager on Duty in order to address at least the matter of your shirt. We do hope to welcome you back in the future; Best regards, Ursula

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
givat shemuel israel,middle east
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We spent a long weekend at the Le Meridien at the end of June together with friends. Following Trip Advisor tips - we upgraded our room upon arrival, and we were glad we did. We had a large, comfortable room with a spacious balcony and a bay view. We were promised internet in the room - but much to our surprise- in order to arrange this we were asked to make a deposit with our credit card. Prior to our visit I was promised by hotel management to be able to use the mini bar for personal items. Surprise again! (also a little bit of insult..) - to be arranged only after I made another credit card deposit.. WHY THE SUSPISCION? WHY WEREN'T WE INFORMED AHEAD OF TIME ABOUT THESE FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS? For us it was a bad and quite unpleasant start for our vacation. So much for the bad... The good: we let the know that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and got a beautiful cake, gratis! The staff of the dining hall was pleasant , helpful and very accommodating! The Spa is wonderful- pleasant and inviting. All in all - nice stay at a good hotel in a beautiful countrty -- but please be a little less suspicious..!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yoel p
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Hello yoel p, thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you felt mistrusted and unappreciated especially by the front desk team. Taking a pre-authorization on a credit card is a standard procedure within all international hotels in order to cover potential incidental charges and the accommodation chargers. It is of course nice to read, that you enjoyed our surprise for your anniversary. We do look forward to welcoming you back, Best regards, Ursula.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I'm just back from a short vacation with the kids (2 adults + 2 children under 10).This is a very good hotel, great location - 10 minutes walk to a full range of restaurants, a bus station available.
Big rooms and excellent SPA !
Big thanks to Francisco at the KU DE TA bar for all the help!!

We'll certainly return back......

Room Tip: We booked a standard room and that's what we received, it was overlooking the parking lot but st...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello DebbyX4, thank you so much for your kind review. It’s good to read that the entire family has enjoyed the stay with us. Your appreciation for Francisco is noted, and will be shared accordingly. Please come back soon! Best regards, Ursula
Utrecht
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a pleasant and comfortable 7 days stay in this hotel and were more than pleased with the location that proved to be a perfect start point to discover st Julian and the rest of Malta. And a big plus in this very busy area is underground parking garage that was free of charge.

The staff in the reception of the hotel was friendly and service oriented. And housekeeping kept our room spotless when we were gone. Good job!

We had a comfortable normal good sized room with a great bed, a well-equipped bathroom and even a tiny balcony with two chairs.
Unfortunately we booked the room using our SPG points, which gave us a room with a view on the parking lot and no extra's at all. So internet and breakfast had to be paid for and breakfast was rather expensive.
And thanks to the big parking under our balcony it sometimes was very noisy.

Room Tip: I'm not sure how quit the sea view room can be, but the parking on the Triq Dun Anton Tabone sid...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gijs-Jan G
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello GijsG, thank you for your review and choosing to redeem your points with us at Le Meridien St Julians. Your compliment on housekeeping is of course shared with the team. However, I apologize that you were not booked into a SPG room. We look forward welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Ursula
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for four nights and had a great time:) the staff are exceptional and so friendly :) the spa is so nice and I must say I had the best massage ever. The executive lounge had afternoon tea and it was always filled with food and drinks and very inviting. The only negative of this hotel would be the pool it is very very small but you have the beach across the road so that makes up for it :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Christina C, thank for your review. It’s nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and the services provided by the team. The Myoka Spa, also one of my favourite locations, is a great place to relax and unwind. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again. Best regards, Ursula
Shoham, Israel
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Le Meridien. The service was good, the breakfast wonderful. We had free use of the spa facilities on check in day (before the rooms were ready) and check out day (until our flight). The hotel is close to many bars and restaurants. There is a (very) small beach across the road. Recommended.

Room Tip: Sea view room only!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dbb1 969, thank you for choosing to stay at Le Meridien St Julians. It’s nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Hopefully we will be able to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Ursula
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As an SPG Gold Member we had previously stayed at this hotel and after having a good experience decided to return here this year. After booking through the SPG network we were emailed by the hotel not only to acknowledge the booking but to thank us for choosing to stay there again, which we thought was a nice gesture for them to recognise our previous stay which was at least 4 years ago. We arrived at the hotel late in the evening and much to our surprise the local feast was taking place in Balluta Bay to the front of the hotel. As we checked in at reception we were greeted by a very friendly and efficient young man called Gabriel who processed our booking. Whilst this was taking place the young concierge brought us a cool towel each to freshen up and one of the bar staff brought us a refreshing local cool drink both of which were very welcome after our journey. Gabriel went through the check in formalities and then informed us that our room had been up graded and we were also given complementary use of the Executive Lounge. All of this came as an unexpected and pleasant surprise.
We had a beautiful room overlooking Balluta Bay which had two balconies which caught the sun up to midday and then gave welcome shade from then on which was Ideal for me as I am not a sun worshiper and I was able to take advantage of sitting outside watching the world go by from an excellent location.
We took advantage of the Executive Lounge both for breakfast and evening canapes' and were served by two friendly members of staff by the name of Amparo and Francisco who were attentive and gave a high level of customer service always with a smile.
We also used the KuDeTa bar and restaurant for drinks, cocktails and many of our meals during our stay. We found all the staff to be polite friendly and efficient guided by Jessmond the Senior Bartender and Ian the Bar Manager. The drinks were especially good value during the Happy Hour although the regular prices were very reasonable for a hotel and the freshly cooked to order food was excellent and good value compared to other local restaurants. On a negative note we did encounter a below standard overcooked Pizza one evening but when asked about our satisfaction by one of the staff we stated that the Pizza had not been up to the same standard as other meals. She came back after speaking to her manager who removed it from our bill to be paid. This action was not expected but demonstrated the high level of customer satisfaction delivered by the hotel. We did eat twice in the Sirocco restaurant and on both occasions it was Buffet style but with two different themes. Again the staff were excellent and attentive and the food was varied and plentiful but I personally am not a lover of this type of menu and much preferred the food in the KuDeTa.
We used the indoor pool in the Spa which we found very relaxing but didn't on this occasion use the roof top pool, although my husband did use the residents only sundeck for sunbathing which he found was quite and under used by other hotel guests.
The housekeeping staff did a good job servicing the room and they along with the maintenance staff always acknowledged us as we passed them when walking throughout the hotel.
I understand that the hotel lifts system has come in for some criticism but we found them to work with out any issue and that people only experienced problems when they were not using them as per the instructions.
On the morning of our last day we headed down to reception to inquire about the possibility of a late 4pm check out from our room. We were helped at reception by Miguel who informed us that the hotel was very busy and full and unfortunately it wasn't possible to grant us a 4pm checkout. Although we were a little disappointed we understood perfectly and headed up to the Executive Lounge for our farewell breakfast. We had just settled into enjoying our breakfast when my husband was called by Amparo to the house telephone, on taking the call he found it was Miguel from reception who informed us that he had been able to negotiate with housekeeping and he could offer us a 2pm checkout which we appreciated and accepted. This action made our last day so much more enjoyable and again demonstrated how the hotel and staff go the extra mile to deliver customer satisfaction.
Our overall experience at the Le Meridien was a fantastic time from check in to check out, this hotel has a great location and we had a great time and look forward to visiting again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DeniseO-H55
Hello Denise O-H55, and thank you for your nice review. It is nice to read that selected team members made your stay special. We would like to welcoming you back, though we hope this won’t take another four years  With best regards from Malta, Ursula
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!