“great location and fantastic staff”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Abu Dhabi
“great location and fantastic staff”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very convenient location - close to the airport and the main attractions. Spacious rooms. Worth to pay the extra for the sea view. Just like in the other Starwood Properties - the beds are amazing - great quality of sleep guaranteed.
Staff is amazing. Concierge (if I’m not mistaken, Mario) went out of their way to find a dentist for me on a Sunday (which is impossible in Malta) as i had unbearable tooth pain in the middle of my vacation...
Overall experience – great! Will definitely go back!
Thank you, Le Meridien!

Room Tip: seaview, high floor,
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello Nestinarka, I hope you are feeling better by now. Thank you very much for your kind review and especially for highlighting Mario. We hope that the next time you come, all Mario books is your excursions … See you hopefully soon again, Best regards, Ursula

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Dear Tripadvisor Readers,

I would book this hotel again, without hesitation, on the strength of three areas:

1. Mario the Concierge. I have never come across such considerate and diligent concierge services. He arranged a rental scooter within 30 mins and selected a very reliable company with a good quality scooter and helmets (brand new). Mario also arranged a day on a private yacht complete with lunch, dinner and drinks. He called the yacht owner several times throughout the day to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. We really appreciated that he cared so much and repeatedly followed up on how our day was going. The Yacht owner was a remarkable and generous host. His wife joined us for dinner on the yacht and we felt like we were having dinner with friends we'd known a long time - they were incredibly warm and hospitable. We have Mario yo thank for putting us in such good hands for the day.

2. Thoroughly professional, first class Spa therapists. We had facials and massages and they were amongst the best we've enjoyed in all our travels. Please make sure you enjoy a treatment in the Spa- it's well worth it.

3. Location. Easy access to the beach, restaurants and cafés - there is so much accessible by foot.

There is an area of opportunity for this hotel. Their terrace on the 12th floor (pool level) closes at 7pm which we found very surprising. The bay views from this vantage point make it ideal to enjoy F&B at any time of the day. So we thought it was a pity it couldn't be enjoyed for sunset and into the night. We hope the hotel gas plans to boost their F&B offering and service on this terrace and the terrace on the 2nd floor (where service was inconsistent or slow).

Room Tip: Best to ask for a junior suite to enjoy Malta's weather and the bay views on your own balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Sara S, and thank for your review. It is nice to read that especially Mario has made such a great impact on your stay. Myoka Spa is certainly a place where one can unwind well. Your comments on our food and beverage services are noted, and we are currently re-working the offerings and our services provided. We look forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future. Best regards, Ursula.
ISRAEL
Reviewed 22 August 2014

this hotel is average
None of our requests for rooms not answered And we got like other Israelis worst hotel rooms
very good location in saint juilien
good breakfast.
Dining room staff polite and kind
On the last day we asked for a late check out from the hotel. Cost me 80 euros
When they promised that the room will be cleaned and replaced towels.
We returned from a trip to the room on after noon the room was not clean
3 phone calls did not help until I got the manager who promised to send at least towels.
Too bad it was the conduct of a 5 star hotel
We left with a very bad feeling about this hotel
next time in malta we will go to another hotel

Room Tip: Look for another hotel in this area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello LEHAVIM20, thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Rooms are allocated based on booking information received at the time of reservation with the team at the hotel, or based through information of the whole sale agent or company who made the booking for you. Based on your comments we will follow up accordingly. Best regards, Ursula.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is my FIRST HOTEL REVIEW and but I feel I was let down greatly by this hotel. Even deeply saddened that it's a hotel in my own country that offers such poor service.

My colleagues and I stay at this hotel regularly due to our business travels. We also travel around the globe and stay in hotels on all 5 continents every week and we also work in the Hospitality industry dealing with an even greater audience of clients from all over. However unfortunately in my opinion this hotel is far away from a 5 star hotel. The rooms are quite plain with basic amenities, however not even one free bottle of water is offered as is done in all hotels where drinking tap water is not recommended (I've stayed in 3 star hotels in Asia where they offer 2 complimentary bottles of water on a daily basis to all guests). I also made use of the bar and was quite surprised by the lack of service, where no one was available in the afternoon to take our orders for at least 10 minutes looking around and asking one of the handymen to call someone.

After a morning out I returned to my room in order to prepare for work. As I attempted to iron my shirt, to my shock I found a red stain on my shirt, appearing to originate from the iron. As I lifted the iron to inspect, I found a large piece of red plastic attached to the bottom of the iron that had melted as the iron heated up. I was infuriated however called Service Centre, which also took a long time to respond, however on the 2nd attempt I actually got through. She said she was going to send someone however my shirt had a stain and time was passing. After I called again and 15 mins later someone finally showed up with a new iron. He told us housekeeping must have cleaned it and left something attached to it...NOW that's what I call great cleaning, they left a piece of red plastic attached to the iron and just left it there rather than replacing the iron. Did they think no one would notice? And even if it wasn't them but a previous customer, these things should be part of a basic room check before new customers enter the room. However not only was I running late now , but I heard a knock on my door, and as I open I find housekeeping asking me how much longer I have to get ready, as she had to clean for the next guests coming to the room in 15 minutes. I told her my checkout was not for another 45 minutes, and she looked at me disgruntled. I was SHOCKED! this has never happened to me in the hundreds of hotel stays that I've been at.

The front desk and concierge however are quite helpful as I was told by my colleagues. This is why I gave a 2 point rating rather than one. I have a strong feeling that management might not be aware of the situations or problems that arise within the hotel, as these are really quite sad for a 5 star luxury hotel, in a developed country. I was even in Zimbabwe one week before and was treated better with better room maintenance in a place where tourism is near to zero.

Management I hope this does not fall onto deaf ears. All I hope is that you take notice of these mishaps and improve the service as Malta depends on tourism, in which service should be top notch. If this was once and I was on my own I would not write, however my colleagues also seemed to have problems of their own which I shall not comment as they are not mine.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear StephenZZ, thank you for your review, and I am equally disappointed as you when reading your experience. I apologize for the inappropriate service encounters you had during your stay. However, I would have preferred that you would have insisted on speaking with the Manager on Duty in order to address at least the matter of your shirt. We do hope to welcome you back in the future; Best regards, Ursula
givat shemuel israel,middle east
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We spent a long weekend at the Le Meridien at the end of June together with friends. Following Trip Advisor tips - we upgraded our room upon arrival, and we were glad we did. We had a large, comfortable room with a spacious balcony and a bay view. We were promised internet in the room - but much to our surprise- in order to arrange this we were asked to make a deposit with our credit card. Prior to our visit I was promised by hotel management to be able to use the mini bar for personal items. Surprise again! (also a little bit of insult..) - to be arranged only after I made another credit card deposit.. WHY THE SUSPISCION? WHY WEREN'T WE INFORMED AHEAD OF TIME ABOUT THESE FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS? For us it was a bad and quite unpleasant start for our vacation. So much for the bad... The good: we let the know that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and got a beautiful cake, gratis! The staff of the dining hall was pleasant , helpful and very accommodating! The Spa is wonderful- pleasant and inviting. All in all - nice stay at a good hotel in a beautiful countrty -- but please be a little less suspicious..!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yoel p
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Hello yoel p, thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you felt mistrusted and unappreciated especially by the front desk team. Taking a pre-authorization on a credit card is a standard procedure within all international hotels in order to cover potential incidental charges and the accommodation chargers. It is of course nice to read, that you enjoyed our surprise for your anniversary. We do look forward to welcoming you back, Best regards, Ursula.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I'm just back from a short vacation with the kids (2 adults + 2 children under 10).This is a very good hotel, great location - 10 minutes walk to a full range of restaurants, a bus station available.
Big rooms and excellent SPA !
Big thanks to Francisco at the KU DE TA bar for all the help!!

We'll certainly return back......

Room Tip: We booked a standard room and that's what we received, it was overlooking the parking lot but st...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello DebbyX4, thank you so much for your kind review. It’s good to read that the entire family has enjoyed the stay with us. Your appreciation for Francisco is noted, and will be shared accordingly. Please come back soon! Best regards, Ursula
Utrecht
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a pleasant and comfortable 7 days stay in this hotel and were more than pleased with the location that proved to be a perfect start point to discover st Julian and the rest of Malta. And a big plus in this very busy area is underground parking garage that was free of charge.

The staff in the reception of the hotel was friendly and service oriented. And housekeeping kept our room spotless when we were gone. Good job!

We had a comfortable normal good sized room with a great bed, a well-equipped bathroom and even a tiny balcony with two chairs.
Unfortunately we booked the room using our SPG points, which gave us a room with a view on the parking lot and no extra's at all. So internet and breakfast had to be paid for and breakfast was rather expensive.
And thanks to the big parking under our balcony it sometimes was very noisy.

Room Tip: I'm not sure how quit the sea view room can be, but the parking on the Triq Dun Anton Tabone sid...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gijs-Jan G
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello GijsG, thank you for your review and choosing to redeem your points with us at Le Meridien St Julians. Your compliment on housekeeping is of course shared with the team. However, I apologize that you were not booked into a SPG room. We look forward welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Ursula
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!