“Great location, very good staff and a very good hotel”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, very good staff and a very good hotel”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

We spent 6 nights here from 5th May for a bit of treat prior to summer when work commitments prevent overseas travel. St.Julians is certainly the place to stay in Malta and really a very pleasant spot with a lovely outlook. Valetta is an easy bus trip - most places on the Island are - and there are plenty of very reasonable restaurants nearby. Paceville is walking distance if you seek a more vibrant evening scene. In the other direction a lovely promenade takes you to Sliema, shops and a ferry to Valetta if you prefer.

The Hotel was up to the mark in every respect. The staff were great with nothing too much trouble and crucially sincere in what they were doing. We had a lovely room on the 10th floor with sea views, really, a superb outlook. The room was spacious with everything you would expect in a hotel of this class. One small gripe was the add ons e.g. an extra 25 euro for internet in the rooms and additional TV channels. But the breakfast buffet was a highlight and don't miss happy hour in the lobby bar (Ku de Ta) - the staff in the bar were excellent value.

Our first visit to Malta and hopefully we will be back. Enjoyed the Island and the people very much. I would recommend the Hotel as good value especially if you can get a deal. Things were quite when we were there and May/June may well be the time to visit prior to the oppressive summer heat.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Location
Excellent Location, lift access directly to the Le meridien shopping arcade which open onto the main road in St Julians
St Julians is an upmarket resort, more expensive than others but very nice. There is a good selection of restaurants and bars and plenty of entertainment
There is also McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc for people who want a more down to earth, taste of home. Not much in the way of Maltese cuisine, mainly italian, chinese, etc.. There is also a large supermarket about 5 min walk from the hotel.
We stayed in early september and found out that the Maltese are crazy about Fireworks,, They were letting them off thoughout the day and night when we were there which was a great spectacle.

General Facilities
Very clean , very modern, high standard of fixtures and fittings in public areas.
Good Restaurant, Bars
Excellent Spa we had a couple of spa treatments and the staff were very professional and skilled.
The indoor pool was also nice
The Gym was fantastic very well equipped and bigger than most Hotel gyms I have been to, the only thing to note is that the Gym is also used as a public gym so not exclusively for Guest use.

Outdoor pool , Main Pool and separate childrens pool, although small had plenty of sunloungers available and was a roof top pool so was nice and quiet.
There were staff on hand to take drinks orders etc..

Information
It was hard to find out detailed information i.e info in room was not detailed enough eg we didn't know that towels were provided in the gym so took our room towels down instead. Could do with a bit more detail.

Lifts
I need to make special mention of these as they were a complete nightmare I have never seen anything like them!!!
Guests need to add an extra 5 minutes to their journey time, just to navigate the lifts. They operate very randomly and they do not stop on your floor when you call them, they also reset the buttons randomly so we found ourselves continually having to push buttons again. We tried to take the stairs instead but they were only used as fire escape and only lead to the back of the bell hops desk area.
The lifts were probably the biggest source of frustration for all the guests we spoke to.
When we queried this with the staff they shrugged their shoulders and said that the lifts had a mind of their own, which we didn't feel was really acceptable.

Rooms
We had a superior king room at the back of the hotel overlooking a carpark with a bit of greenery around it, also directly opposite is an apartment complex where residents can probably see into your room if your curtains are open., the room was nice and quiet
Had a look at the deluxe seaview rooms which were also nice and had a nice view, but they were very noisy from the street below. cars, music etc....

Rooms have lovely Modern Decor ( but I wouldn't class it as luxurious, the bathroom tiles were imitation, and the furniture reminded me of modern Ikea type furniture).
Huge rooms and huge bathrooms with a bath and a separate shower cubicle
WC was separate from the bathroom
No Pillow menu, no turndown service.

The minibar was automated and very sensitive, if you even bump a can or bottle it can show on your bill, which you then have to get removed by reception which happened to us.
They do have a surcharge if you want it emptied so you can store your own items , however we found that they don't charge if you ask for only 1 shelf to be emptied which is what we did.

The TV english channels are all mainly news based, CNN, Bloombery, Sky News etc.. there are some other channels in German, Italian and French though.
The movie selection was good 9 recent blockbusters and 5 others, cost on average 8-16 euro per move per 24 hours,
however there was a special deal on at the time, were we paid 25 euros and could access all movies so could watch as many as we liked over a 24 hour period.

Food and Beverage
I felt that the hotel was very let down by this, the breakfast buffet was very average, a lot of fruit was even bordering on rotten which was not what I was expecting from this hotel

There was a lot on the buffet but items were not replenished as regularly as they should be. Pancakes dried out etc.., Hot food was rubbery etc..
Had to go looking for our own coffee, and the tables were not set when we sat down.

Lobby Bar was OK, not much of an atmosphere though.
Room service menu was OK, but I have seen better. The prices were listed but then you had to add another 5.25 EUR room service charge, which was in small print at the bottom of the page.

In all I couldnt' fault the service but I couldn't recommend it either, it was OK, Staff were polite enough but I didn't get the feeling that they cared for their guests as much as other hotels I have stayed in.
An exception to this was the room maid who was very good i.e we were running out of mouthwash which we had brought ourselves she noticed this and left us a bottle of hotel mouthwash without us having to ask for it, which we were impressed with.

Overall I felt this hotel was more suitable for guests, who want to stay in a very nice 4*+ hotel with very modern clean facilities in a great location who wouldn't be expecting the luxury that it intrinsic to 5* hotels.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alli06cat
North West
Reviewed 3 May 2009

This was my first trip to Malta and picking St Julians was ideal in my opinion definitely the best area on the Island. Le Meridien St Julians was perfect everything went so smoothly from check in to check out. The hotel is located on the main promenade which a pleasent 10 minute walk along will bring you into the main area of St Julians The staff are extremely friendly nothing is too much trouble and everyone has a smile on their face. We stayed in a deluxe seaview room and I'd definitely recommended booking a seaview room as the only alternate view would be of the car park. Make sure to get breakfast included in your booking it's worth the extra as it will fill you up till lunch and to start off your day with a glass of complimentary champagne ain't bad either. The room was very clean and spacious for two. The bathroom was great with large rain style shower and a big tub. The bed was ultra comfy. The rooftop pool is amazing and you'll bake in the sun on some of Malta's warmer days but if you don't have great weather the indoor pool area is superb and make sure you take advantage of the spa, their stressbuster massage will leave you feeling like a new person. Save on the luggage weight and don't bother to pack towels, the hotel provides robes and towels which can be used around the hotel. Finally treat yourself to one of their fabulous cocktails during their half price happy hour from 6pm-7pm every evening - I highly recommend their cosmopolitan. I currently rate this one of my best hotel experiences and I've seen a few.....would definitely stay here again and I would actively look to stay in a Le Meridien hotel in other cities I visit.
PS - Dine in Barracuda restaurant overlooking the bay in St Julians which is a short 2 minute walk from the hotel, the seabass is amazing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank lanternlighter
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I stayed here for a week in April 09. We were given a superior room which was spacious and well equiped with iron/ironing board, etc. The room was very clean and the bathroom was fitted out with a bath and a shower cubical. The indoor pool is lovely and the spa facilities are really good. The bars and restaurants in the hotel are expensive (as you would expect), but thest re are some really good places to eat and drink close by. It is a little walk to the centre of St Julians but I found this a plus point. Also there is a bus stop right outside so travelling around is simple and cheap. To sum up, we had a lovely, relaxing time here and would stay here again, if I returned to Malta.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hatt-away
DEVON
Reviewed 14 April 2009

The hotel is in a good position and we particularly liked the cosmopolitan feel of the resort. We were offered an Executive room up-grade with a sea view for approx £140.00 but having inspected it realised that the sun was on the back of the building so the use of the large balcony would be wasted. Our room overlooked the car park but was very nice with all amenties. Shame we had to request our slippers! The hotel ran out of loo rolls - interesting! The air con was not switched on so had to sleep with the doors open which proved to be very noisey - we asked several times but were told it was not hor enough to switch on - bit tight for a 5 star. Also reported blocked drain in our shower at least 5 times but to no avail. Drinks v expenisve in the bar - but happy hour cocktails well worth getting ready early for. Breakfast excellent - although service becam more chaotic as the hotel filled up for Easter.
Best places we found to eat - Peperoncino just along from the hotel (on the corner by Muddy Waters - yuk!) Their service, soups and fresh fish were fab. Also massive portions at Papparazi on the harbour front.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Room is spacious and clean, even the non-sea view rooms are OK. The lobby is little old, so I did not make my business meetings there. You have to pay extra for Internet in the room. Moreover I was not able to send e-mails via smtp. Skype and IMAP worked. The minibar costs money, but there was no price list in my room, so I decided to not use it (which is not really why it is in there).

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Devon
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Our 14 night stay started on March 17, 2009. Le Meridien is a modern, stylish hotel in a convenient location and, for the first couple of nights, very agreeable indeed. But, from then on in, oh dear, there was so much noise from inconsiderate fellow guests in the rooms above and close-by. Quite apart from the intermittent slamming of the hefty room doors, my wife and I had to endure the awful scraping sound of wooden furniture legs (bed included!!) being dragged across the cermaic floor above us at all hours of the night (and day), not to mention, the clomping backwards and forwards of heavy heeled shoes, likewise, anytime between midnight and 5 am. Nightmare! (In more ways than one). We put-up with it for several nights, then I politely complained to the front of house manager who, to give him his due, promptly upgraded us to an executive room on the ninth floor. According to my wife, however, the young lady general manager didn't seem to take our predicament seriously, when the two of them had shared a similar conversation the evening before.

That said, our ninth floor upgrade was much quieter at night than the sixth floor room had been, although we could still hear the occasional crash of nearby room doors. Trust me, this noise nuisance has to be heard to be believed. On a more positive note, the buffet breakfast spread was exceptionally good and the breakfast and hotel bar staff generally helpful. However, the same can't be said of the hotel's Ku de Ta bar daytime menu. My wife and I are on gluten free and meat free diets respectively and, being typically English, we do like treating ourselves to afternoon tea while on holiday. Our first two such meat free~gluten free Afternoon Tea orders at Le Meridien early in our stay were very good indeed, bu, it was downhill all the way after that. The best way I can describe this particular experience at Le Meridien, and indeed, many other aspects of the hotel's set-up, including its room servicing is .... INCONSISTENT! The last straw came on our final night when I was served a plate of food that bore only a vague resemblence to the wording on the Ku de Ta bar menu. Suffice to say I refused to pay for it and politely expressed my disatisfaction to the hotel's catering manager and the on-duty chef. I do hope they took my obersvations on-board. As I said to them at the time "such inconsistencies are not what one would expect from a quality four or five star hotel." If my wife and I ever go back to Le Meridien (and the jury's out on that question at the moment), we will know not to accept a room any lower than the ninth floor. Thankfully, the other aspects of our stay in Malta more than made-up for Le Meridien's sloppy shortcomings. Potentially it's a very nice hotel, but often lacking the attention to detail and subtle touches of a genuine four or five star establishment. Jenda. Devon, England

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!