“Not Child- friendly- Very disappointing”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I stayed in this hotel for the last week and just returned yesterday. I felt compelled to write this review because having looked forward to this weeks holiday for so long, I was very disappointed with our hotel, Le Meridien. I travelled with my partner and our 18 month old son. Firstly, on check in, I asked if we could have the mini-bar cleared out so that I could store my sons baby food etc and was told this could only be done at a daily charge. This was not the start I was hoping for. Secondly, on entering the indoor pool on the second floor, I barely had my foot in the door when I was informed that I would be asked to leave if my "children" were not quiet. I kindly told the hospitable lady at the counter that I had one child and thought this was a great welcome. Nowhere in the hotels description did it say that if you had kids you would be asked to keep them quiet and that they would have to be out of the pool by 5pm. And I was told this the next few times I entered the pool in the following days which was very off-putting. I have an 18month old- I can't exactly control his volume!! : ) Again, there is a roof-top pool but its not suitable ofr children.Thirdly, the lifts in this hotel are ridiculous, you can be waiting for up to 10 minutes to get a lift to actually stop at your floor ( with a buggy it is difficult to use the stairs). Lastly, we booked a day trip to Gozo with the hotel. I specifically asked the tour advisor at the hotel if this trip was child frinedly. i was assured it was. Unfortunately, it was in no way child friendly, driivng around the island of Gozo in an old Jeep in hot weather with no services along the way for children is not my idea of child friendly. I complained at the hotel but I don't think my coomplaint went anywhere as the manager never contacted me as I had asked. On the plus side, the lounge staff of Ku De Tar Bar I think its called were lovely and very friendly. but overall i will not stay here again and was v disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank feebi02

Reviewed 9 September 2009

We had a fantastic week. The room was upgraded and we had a massive suite it was great. Loads of space for the children to play. The pool was great for them to play in even got to go in the spa pool too which was nice. Food is good but slow in the pool due to the lifts which was really the only pain as they were so slow!!

Would definatley go back and my 4 year old cried when we left. Great location and views. Was not noisy which was why I picked it. thanks to this site.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I stayed 5 nights and only paid 90 euro for a night, so I had a very good deal. But if I had been paying full price I'm not sure whether I would be totally satisfied. Overall, this is a good hotel, at a nice location (that is, if you like these kind of seaside resorts - I don't). The rooms are huge.

There are a couple of flaws though that should not be there in a 5 star hotel (especially not in a Meridien): rooms were only moderately clean (esp floors and shower), there is an absolute shortage of lifts (only 4 lifts for the entire hotel which is absolutely not enough), and the outside sofas next to the reception could do with some cleaning. Staff were helpful but not really at 5-star level.

On the plus side: The room airco is excellent and works super-fast - you'll need it when travelling to Malta at this time of the year.

And again: internet is not included in the price. I absolutely hate this - it costs the hotel almost nothing to provide it, and you make hotel guests very happy when you provide it for free.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We recently stayed at this property on a great summer rate of €125 per night. As others have pointed out, it isn't what I would consider a 5 star property, but it is very nice none the less.

Our room was relatively spacious, but a few bits of wear and tear showing around the carpets and furniture. The restaurants on site were reasonably priced with a good selection, but we chose to travel out to local restaurants for most of the evenings we were at the hotel.

The staff were all very pleasant, but I felt rather sorry for them on a couple of occasions as they seemed to be getting lectured at by a rather arrogant and patronising ladty at the front desk. She seemed to be there being a general nuisance every time we passed the reception!

We would definitely go back to this hotel again if we were to come back to Malta.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2009

We are frequent travellers to Malta, and love the countries qauint charm, the people, food etc.

We normally stay in the Intercomtinental Hotel in St Julians, but they could not accomodate our dates, and I fell upon what I thought was a great deal on the internet. A family of four staying in a five star hotel b&b for two weeks, flights included for just short of £2,500, bargain!!! £800.00 cheaper than we would have paid for the same accomodation Sea view luxury room etc at the Intercontinental. So we booked it.

Alas, the Le meridian is a nice looking hotel, our room was very spacious and we did have a fabulous view from our balcony. However On arrival they had not made up a bed for my daughter, (and although the slightly un helpful bell man who seemed some what reluctant to help us in with our luggage fome the taxi!!) said that we would have to wait til morning for this to be rectified. Reception insisted on dealing with this for us now and the problem was resolved. But that was probably our only bit of high quality service throughout the trip at this hotel.Towels in the bathroom were left in random numbers for a family of four sometime 6 sometimes only 2 and well us english love our tea, but milk for the complimentory beverages was only left on day one and after that you could only have coffee whitener, even when you phoned down to services, no milk only coffee whitener!!!! In general the room was cleaned very well and on most occassions we had a very efficient chamber maid. But on one occassion we had someone else who actually left my sons bed completely un-made.

. Basically this is a five star hotel offering a four star service (at best) and lets be honest at a very reasonable price.

The service in the roof top grill was appaling, out of date drinks sold to us to drink by the pool, and no real apology given when we returned it, just the option of something else. Food ridiculousley expensive, (which is fine if it is good, but old wilted brown lettuce and stale bread, no thank you ) No attempt to accomodate when ordering something slightly different from the menu to accomodate children. Complimentory Towels for sun beds never there forcing you to return back to your room to grab your own beach towles in a lift system that quite frankly left us baffled, you pressed the button, sometimes they came sometimes they whizzed straight past you to the next floor, only for you to make it back to the roof top pool, to find that now there were no beds left as there were far to few to accomodate guests. The pool is very small and not shallow enough for young children, therefore arm bands will be needed all the time. Not a great deal of shaded areas and the parolsoles that were available were few and the rest broken.

Breakfast was ok, quite alot to choose from, although again the service was very lack lustre and you waited a while for tea and coffee and the food was not replenished quickly. The hotels top restaraunt The Villa, looks amazing with fabulous views and the general ambience is delightful. On our first visit there my food was excellent, pricey but very good, service was bad and the manager was some what un-helpful and not at all welcoming and for some reason they do not like to clear away your glasses after you have finished them and just keep bringing you new ones, so your table ends up looking like you are a alcoholic!!!! But on our second visit the food was awful, I chose exactley the same meal, but it must have been the chefs day off my soup was like dish water and my side dish came with my dessert hence both were taken off the bill before we paid.The bar man did not know what a white wine spritzer was and did not take my husbands order at all!!!! All this from a five star hotel. Average cost of dinner the equivalent of £100.00 pounds sterling!!!!!

One good thing about the hotel is that there is free parking!! No seriousley it is modern and the view from the rooms that over look Bulluta bay are quite charming and the spa is impressive, however again the pool does not have a real shallow end for young children. Prices very expensive, in the hotel , but then that is down to the euro!!!!! The reception staff on our departure did not ask us if we had enjoyed our stay or even thank us for our custom come to think if it. But I would not go back to this hotel again ever, do your self a favour and dont be fooled by the cheaper price, pay the extra and stay in a real five star hotel The intercontinenetal or the Hilton. We went to both on our trip for a meal, and as soon as you walked into the reception, the whole atmosphere was on of five star service. Even the consiege offered us all a seat while he efficiently pre-booked our table for dinner that evening, at the le meridien he could bearly be bothered to take our bags up for us.

If service is important to you then this hotel is not for you.

If however you are not bothered by consistently poor service, or the fact that your problems are never really resolved and that the staff dont seem to be that bothered if you are enjoying your stay or not, crazy lifts that drive you mad and the luck of the draw on whether you will get a bed or towel around the pool or not, then this hotel is right up your street!!!!!!!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed for 7 nights (me my wife and 2 kids). We arrived on the 15th of Aug and there was no welcome drink for us. This hotel had me confused, Great rooms especially the ones with seaview but the service a bit slow and at times we had to ask for things to be done. The minibar was faulty on arrival. It took them 2 days to fix. We always got less towels in the room but when we ask for more there was no problem for them to bring more than we needed. The breakfast was excellent but the restaurant could do with a bit more cleaning, The 12th floor swimming pool was small for 5 star hotel but the indoor pool and Spa area was fantastic.
Overall we had a plesant stay but its clear that this hotel needs a better management.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2009

This hotel should be stripped of its five stars. It is a Starwood disappointment. The staff was kind, but not terribly capable or interested in the guests. While the spa experience was nice, and the gym decent, the roof pool area was a disaster, complete with filthy and stained cheap plastic chairs and worn towels. There was a very unattractive roof cafe that never seemed to be staffed and all the plants were dead or close to deaths doorstep. This is the worst Starwood experience I have ever had. also, this is not located at a bay that has much swimming (althought pretty for viewing). There is no beach access from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!