“Pity about winter A/C”

Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dublin
“Pity about winter A/C”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

My stay was from 29th of March to 5th of April.

My room was a standard double. I was very impressed with the hotel in general, so I'm only highlighting things that could have been better.

Some of these face a carpark and a small farm and attractive buildings beyond. Luckily mine was on the side that had about 40 degrees of a sea view. I was on the 6th floor though on the south face of the hotel which meant the adjacent building blocked more of the sea view and a pretty cathedral view. If I was checking in again to a standard double I would recommend asking for south face and from the 8th floor upwards.

The A/C didn't appear to do anything when we arrived so we asked at reception. They told us that cooling was not yet available (?). I think they meant that the A/C's lower limits were above the current ambient temperature, and mid summer the A/C would indeed cool the room. I have to say this was the biggest let down for me, as I'm from a cold climate and can't sleep in a hot room. Having said that the evenings were cool enough outside, so I left our balcony open for a while before bed and that did cool the room.

There are 2 swimming pools in the hotel photos. One indoor on level 2 by the spa with steam room, sauna, jacuzzi etc. and another on the roof with a small children's pool next to it. The one on the roof was empty until the 3rd of April. This was a little disappointing as it's the only area really for lying out and enjoying the sun. Also worth noting here is that neither pool is of any use for exercise. If you want lane swimming head across the road to the beautiful public pool. It's not heated though, but it was fine for training as once you keep moving the temp is actually a bonus. I don't know when this officially opens, but it had been cleaned in the last week of March according to locals and would open "soon". Locals told me no-one would bother me if I just went in so that's what I did.

The gym is decent, but could do with mirrors in front of the thread mills etc IMO, and again the A/C was a big issue in here. Running on the promenade outside is a better option most of the time.

I've highlighted some negatives here, but all in all I loved this hotel. One positive I'll mention is the price of room service. It's very reasonable ;-)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

I stay at Le Meridian despite a couple of bad reviews I read here on Tripadisor; I have to say that I did not experience nothing of negative; the staff was very friendly, breakfast really satisfying, good variety of food and very clean room up to the standard I was expecting.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
LeMeridienMalta, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at Le Meridien St Julians and hope to welcome you amongst us again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,
Angela Saliba
Hotel Manager
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

This hotel has everything you would expect of a 5 star hotel. We stayed here for 6 nights. We had a room right at the front of the hotel so great views over Balluta Bay. It's very handy for the bus stop and has ample and easy free parking underneath the hotel.

The room's bathroom facilities were fantastic – large corner bath, fantastic shower (I've never felt so clean) and separate loo (ideal if one of you wants to wallow in the bath).

Breakfasts were plentiful and had everything you could possibly wish for and more besides. Even sparkling wine and chocolate fondue were on offer. Free bottled water was placed in the room every day.

I had a manicure at the hotel's spa – it was a lovely relaxing experience. The pool was good too though the sun loungers meant there wasn't much room to walk around the pool and the music from the fitness classes sometimes spoilt the relaxing atmosphere.

Staff were professional and efficient (wake-up call, taxi ordering). We reported 2 problems with the room – we couldn't lock the balcony door and the plug in the washbasin didn't work. We reported both; the first was fixed in a couple of hours but the second wasn't fixed. However, to be fair we never chased it up so it's probably partly our fault.

Overall an excellent hotel and a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Firstly many thanks for taking some time to write and post your review.

We are very sorry to read that you encountered a small issue which was not properly followed up. Please feel free to contact us directly as to provide us with more information about the incident so we can look into it.

On the other hand, we are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay and we truly thank you for your lovely comments.

Hoping to welcome you again soon,
Best Regards,

Angela Saliba
Hotel Manager
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights in March... Room was clean & the beds were comfy but that is where the good features stop!
The Air con didn't work when we complained we were told but it's cold by the Maltese receptionist... at 23c it certainly was far from cold, we couldn't leave the balcony door open as we were next to a building site!
When we went upstairs to the pool it was shut!
one of the lights didn't work, either did the phone...
Also didn't like not having a sink into the toilet, you need to come out of the toilet and wald down to the bathroom to wash your hands, not ideal.
This hotel is a good 3* at best not 5 star by a long shot!
Also you could wait up to 10 mins for the lifts which usually arrive full.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

This was our first experience of Starwood/Le Meridien as our usual preference when traveling is to use Intercontinental Hotel Group properties (as we are avid collectors of Priority points!). I have to say, we were most impressed with Le Meridien St Juliens.

We managed to get a great breakfast included rate with a bay view. The things we liked:

* very large room (by European standards)
* private balcony (we were quite lucky there)
* well maintained and clean room/hotel
* loved the indoor pool/spa area
* breakfast was incredible - I've never seen such a wide spread before
* great location, plenty of restaurants, places to walk to and buses

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to go back, and also to deviate from my Priority Point collecting!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank essexadventurer
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2010

Le Meridien is a very nice hotel, but whether it merits a 5* star rating I'm not so sure - it's a little too corporate. It's a really big hotel, in a prime position allowing an ambling walk between Spinola Bay (and Paceville) or Sliema, as you wish. It's probably just too big and therefore a little impersonal to be a wow hotel. Given that it's first floor is dedicated to a conference area it's not dissimilar to the 4* hotels that I stay at in London for business. I'd suggest that ,if it can, it tries for a bit more of a personal touch.
Having said all of this, some of the previous reviews are perhaps a little unfair. Yes, there are some dark and cavernous areas, but these will stand out in the winter off season - the sun came out on our last day and I imagine that in the heat of the summer sun, they are probably just right! Bar staff - perfectly pleasant and unobtrusive - and dare I say it, a bit of a laugh if you engaged with them! I'd say it was more likely that they quietly blended into the background unless needed, which was quite nice and not in your face (beware - bar is expensive!). I'd agree though that the reception staff, although pleasant, are probably the least receptive of all the staff in the hotel - maybe reception is not in the best location for interaction with guests? Our check in wasn't the best and without taking our credit details we had a bit of a carry on charging back spa treatments and drinks in the restaurant- we just paid up front in the end to save the hassle! Mark the concierge and also Mario, both very pleasant and helpful, as were all of the restaurant staff (breakfast & evening) and the lovely Elena who cleaned our room.
Rooms - great if you get the right one! My suggestion would be try and get any of the rooms with number 27 or 28 - they are in the centre of the hotel, with a fabulous view of Balluta Bay - having said that, they are flagged as for Starwood Preferred Guests, We booked a sea view room, but you kind of had to stand in the corner of the small balcony to see anything - not withstanding the giant digger that is currently excavating all day every day to one side of the hotel, We complained about this and were moved without question to the 27/28 rooms with the better view (and a huge private balcony) - would also like to say thanks for the lovely birthday cake delivered to the room!!!!
Foodwise - absolutely no complaints. Breakfast very good every day and catered for all tastes. We went half board fearing that St Juliens would be quiet off season (not the case, so worth venturing out) - but great food every night. Speciality nights such as carvery, or fish night, but always something for all tastes if the special wasn't for you. Excellent dessert choice!!!
And so, on to the spa area - from someone who is a bit of a spa junkie. First impression? It was a bit too cold for relaxing off season (probably not so in summer) but I'd have turned up the ambient air temp in the winter! The pool and its in built jacuzzi needed to be a little warmer too. The separate jacuzzi - far too small for the size of the spa and the number of guests in the hotel - if they want to offer year round stays. No doubt in the heat everybody is outside, but any other time then 3 really was a crowd in it!! There's also not enough reclining beds to lay around the pool between treatments - especially between 5 - 6pm when everyone wants to be there. Sauna is also far too small, particularly as it seems more popular than the steam rooms (there were 2, one of which wasn't working and the other which was nearly always empty)
The girls who work in the spa, without exception, are excellent - very well trained and very welcoming. Can highly recommend the myoka facial (bliss) and the deluxe pedicure and manicure (guaranteed chill out). Was, however, very disappointed with a patricular massage I booked, but complaint handled appropriately and issues rectified.
On the whole a great stay and if you can get a good deal at Le Meridien then go for it, And by the way - everyone seems to go on about the lifts. Really - they're not an issue!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank OztrekkersDaughter
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

Le Meridien needs to buck up and be more snappy and professional in a number of areas if it wishes to claim 5* status and charge commensurate prices. It tries but lacks something (a soul perhaps). Quirky angular architecture. Numerous "dead" zones.Solid concrete front facing harbour. Cavernous lower shopping entrance to third level reception which is sited by NCP style open car park at rear. Access above reception to rooms is by 4 (sometimes busy) lifts."Tone" lighting creates dismal and dark ambiance in places. Cheek by jowl balconies with no privacy. Some are in close proximity to local flats. Massive reconstruction currently being undertaken externally. Modest standard rooms.Some have connecting door permitting unacceptable noise exchange levels. Roof pool,bar and sun lounge area closed for winter although clients were up there anyway to take the wintry few hours of sun - taking their drinks with them and arranging the furniture. (A novel concept in the provision of 5* client satisfaction !) Good indoor pool at ground level. Large comfortable bar serving nice snacks and light fare. Hotel deeply annoys and offends clients - who after all are already paying top rates - by having exclusive "executive" areas.
Breakfast choice excellent but let down by poor floor management. Cold plates, lack of cutlery, unfilled juice containers, slow table clearance, disorganized table allocation etc.
Housekeeping average. Some prices outrageous (e g 5 euros for 30 mins internet vs 1 euro local cafe for 1 hour). Also, be sure that you check hotel firewall and anti-virus programs are not disabled.
Location awful. St Julians is rundown, dirty and traffic ridden. Many derelict , wrecked buildings,abandoned cars filled with debris. Trashed phone boxes and kiosks. Dog fouled pavements. New promenade ( funded by EU in the main) and massive rebuilding going on all over. Couple of reasonable restaurants. Several "pizza parlours", cafeterias,snack bars and pubs. Windy.
Poor little plucky Malta GC. What's gone wrong? Come on! Stand to! You're better than this!
Finally, to end on a positive note, it was a privilege to see the famous Gladiator biplane "Faith" of bygone years and to experience the politeness and friendliness of the overwhelming number of the present population. General social ambiance was very safe. Local buses terrific and fun to use. General prices are modest - but there are tourist traps. High panoramic views of Grand Harbour a must, along with the fabled Caravaggio in Valletta.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,782 reviews

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!