Le Meridien St. Julians
US$296
US$209
Travelocity
  • Pool
The George Hotel(Saint Julian's)
US$215
US$200
Agoda.com
2,824 results
All reviewsballuta bayrooftop poolsea viewseparate toiletst juliansspa treatmentsthe executive loungespa areamini barhotel barroom was largeweekend breakvisit maltahalf boardomelettetaroconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2010

hotel was in great location, with great views, not a 5 star hotel according to irish standards more 4 star, excellent view over balluta bay from pool, 5 mins walk from night life,

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2010

Dear Customer,

Although I am sorry to read that our property fell short of your expectations of a 5 star hotel, I am also relieved to know that your overall experience with us still is a positive one.

I do invite you to contact me directly, should you wish to give us more details about your experience with us!

Thanks for your feed-back and kind regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2010

this is a very nice hotel with a wonderful panorama. The rooms are very large and clean and the staff overall is friendly. Around the hotel there are many restaurants and shops and there's a bus stop not far from the hotel from where direct buses to la valletta depart.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I work for a Malta-based company and have been around the Sliema-St. Julians area for quite a few times, staying at different hotels, some fancy some less. This time, I took my girlfriend along for the trip, as she has never been to the Rock (as we call Malta in my line of work) and has expressed desire to visit it. My company travel agent recommended Le Meridien and we booked for two weeks, after reading nice reviews and seeing photos.

What I can say is that Le Meridien is the nicest hotel in Malta I've been to so far. Most of the facilities in the hotel live up to the five-star standard - the rooms are rather spacious, beds are comfortable, and our balcony was overlooking Balluta Bay and St. Julian's. The indoor pool is nothing short of amazing, and both of us enjoyed swimming and relaxing in it every day. Gym, with squash court (to be booked at extra price) is another standout, so is the rooftop pool/sunbathing deck.

The food...breakfast was simply adorable. Neither me or my lady are what you could call early birds, yet we got up every day at 9AM just to enjoy the first daily meal - we were quite impressed with the choice, especially with the melted chocolate fondue which was AMAZING ! The choice of food at the Ku-De-Ta Lounge Bar was also rather decent, and I was a bit shocked to see some reviewers claim their food was rather late - we dined there several times and everything was rather speedy. We can definitely recommend the chicken breast with lemon and fries.

Front desk staff was always helpful and available for advice. We'd also like to single out an elderly waiter who was present at breakfast and in the Ku-De-Ta on numerous occasions. One afternoon my girl was feeling a bit sick, so we asked if we could have some rice instead of fries with her dish, and if she could have some chicken soup. Our requests were honoured with a smile and no extra cost, and the fellow even gave us some advice on how to fix stomach-aches. That was rather kind from him.

The low points are but a few. Some staff looks like they hate their work (gym attendant, the short guy, was always a bit grouchy), and sometimes the maids would not replace all towels, or would forget to re-stock the coffee/tea selection but this is all really minor. I'm much more satisfied with Le Meridien than with, say, Dragonara West-In, where I stayed in 2009 for a business conference.

I guess I could sum this all up by saying that after only three hours at the hotel, my girlfriend asked me to drop our plans about spending two weeks in Sardinia in late summer and just re-book Le Meridien instead. Suffice to say, I'll be happy to oblige, as I quite enjoy my trips to Malta.

PS. Make sure you visit Pepperoncino or Villa in close vicinity of the hotel. Both are fantastic restaurants with great interior decoration and some great stuff on the menu. The New Zealand beef fillet I had at the Villa was easily the best steak experience of my life !

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely and detailed review. We are delighted to know that both your girlfriend and yourself enjoyed your stay with us and we are extremely happy to be welcoming you amongst us soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2010

We booked 3 rooms, staggered over 2 weeks, in Le Meridien St Julians for a family holiday in late May / early June. The hotel is well located, in a quieter area about a 10 minute stroll into lively Paceville. Facilities are good with a roof pool with plenty of sun loungers (some in quiet spots away from the pool). The indoor pool in the spa area is also great, though can get a little crowded.
However the hotel really needs to improve in several areas.
The first room we were allocated was overlooking a construction site - as in directly across - so close you can almost touch it from the balcony. As one may expect in a warm climate, construction starts early - before 7am.

Construction happens, especially in St Julians, though there was no mention of this on the hotel website. It will seriously affect quality of sleep for people allocated any room within this wing of the hotel and it's only fair to receive warning. I would not have booked here knowing this to be the case.

At first staff seemed disinterested in the issue and would not allocate a different room. They claimed the hotel was full, though it was still possible to book another on the internet, and we could see people obviously checking out for two days running.

Eventually, after a call to SPG helpline in the US, we were moved to a different room. The staff also made efforts to locate my family, arriving a few days later, in neighbouring rooms - unnecessary but appreciated. Our room was missing a couple of items items and had crumbs on a table, though the reception staff were proactive and quick to respond to these issues.

Many members of staff at the hotel seemed very inexperienced, with some exceptions - especially Anthony who was the most helpful by far. Some examples include asking several members of staff to locate a pin to lock a sunshade in position. It was 11am and the nearby bar/grill where they are stored still locked. Staff again appeared disinterested in requests from us and other guests until Anthony came along and made efforts to locate the bar key and liberate the pins.

Service ine lobby bar / restaurant has also been terrible. As an example, after waiting over an hour for three sandwiches (we were lucky - others had cancelled having waited 90+mins which probably helped our cause). Though when the sandwiches arrived, they were rather lacking... in fact they turned out to be tomato and lettuce rather than of the described tomato, mozarela, avacado and rocket variety. To be fair the waiting staff responded well, appreciating our hunger at this point and produced the missing ingredients shortly afterwards, then provided a small discount for the meal.

In short the hotel has great potential. It's just well behind other Meridien's in which we've stayed and has a long way to go before it could be considered alongside the nearby Hilton and Westin as a quality 5* hotel. By European standards, it's 4* at best - though the excellent rates for the stay did match in that respect and still represent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank onedsla
LeMeridienMalta, General Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2010

Dear Guest,

Firstly, we thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your detailed review.
We are truly sorry to hear that you experienced some shortcomings during your stay with us. Please trust that we have shared your feed-back with all associates involved and that actions are being taken wherever necessary.

We still do hope that you will consider our property again for any possible future stay back on the Islands. Should you wish to interact with us and/or share further comments, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and we will certainly address your concerns appropriately,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2010

I found the location of the hotel second to none ,the rooms very good especially with a sea view , .The food was excellent as were the staff . I would recommend this hotel to all my family .The only fault I found was that the lifts were quite crowded at certain times of the day .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and feed-back! Our hotel reviews are always highly appreciated and shared with all concerned departments,

Kind regards from sunny Malta,