“MY STAY AT LE MERIDIEN St Julians malta”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“MY STAY AT LE MERIDIEN St Julians malta”
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I was there last week from 14/7/2010-21/7/2010. There are the pros and cons. Firstly, the reception and concierge service was excellent. They were always attentive and helpful, got great tips from the concierge on where to eat, where to visit etc.. All recommended trips and restaurants were up to scratch. The staff were very efficient and helpful when my daughter got sick they immediately sorted out a doctor's visit to the room. The swimming pool at the roof top was quite small, looked a bit murky and dirty probably a source of infection of my daugher's eye and ear. Despite that, at least the freshly prepared drinks were quite good, (unlike the horrible Westin, Golden Reef beach club) They make nice smoothies from fresh juices at the Meridien. The breakfast was awful, not the best, even the omelet was not nice, however, when i complained, I was told i could place my own special requests which improved matters. I started requesting my favourite Kiwi Juice and I got it every morning. I enjoyed the Cappucino too. The Spa was cute, very nice and relaxing. Unlike the staff at the Westin, (the sister hotel of the Le meridien), the staff at Le meridien were courteous, willing to please and the manager also was very nice, FAIR and reasonable when i had a dispute with one of the taxi drivers over a fare WHICH was unfairly billed when his services were not used. The good bits about this hotel made me overlook the downfalls, which however could be improved. They need a better chef to sort out the food, although theirs is by FAR BETTER than that at the WESTIN'S. They could do with a better quality breakfast by buying better local ingredients, tourists do like to try the local food rather than imported non tasty poor quality stuff. That's my advise to them. The lifts/elevators were incredibly sluggish time consuming and time wasting, do not leave much to be desired. Room service extremely overpriced, I ordered bottled water upon arrival, paid 8 Euros!!! ate a sachet of peanuts from the bar, paid nearly 3 euros!!! I found this horrendous. However, the pros were pretty good, hence i would not hesitate to recommend this place to other clients, although my choice in Malta would rather THE HILTON, it looked very classy and promising at the outset, next time i might just book there at the HILTON with my husband.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank SHERMINE54
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write and share your detailed review. Our guests' genuine feed-back is extremely valuable to us: it gives us ground for a constant improvement of our services.

Although we are happy to read about the positive points that you highlighted in your review, we also hope that you will overlook the possible inconveniences encountered and hopefully give us another chance at meeting your expectations. Indeed, we would be very grateful if you were to visit us again in the near future.

In the meantime, if you wish to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact us directly,

Once again thank you for your time and kind regards from Malta

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
aberdeen
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Stayed at Le Meridien, family (2 kids, 15 and 11) for 8-days July 2010. Family room/suite very spacious; king size double, double sofa bed and hotel brought in temporay single bed - and still had plenty of room. We paid Euro 124/night via Expedia. AC was good, despite some other comments. Good gym and Spa, single squash court. Roof top pool well appointed, but can get busy late in day. Breakfast very good (Euro 16 per head). Helpful and friendly staff throughout the hotel. Only negative - construction site to rear of hotel, some building noise when you are at pool - but not overly intrusive. There is a busy main road at hotel front, but hotel set back and no traffic noise even when having drinks on outdoor terrace. Also tiny sand beach/concrete steps just 150 yrds from hotel front; small boats moored and local outdoor pool (7euro pp per day), so not for sunbathing etc. but made for nice break from pool, to take kids snorkeling for an hour or so in the sea.

St Juliens Bay - did not eat in hotel as St Juliens offers varied range of fairly decent resterants. Sliema port nearby - 30 minutes walk via promenade. Busier than St Juliens, but ok. Valetta 3km from hotel. Beautiful, historic, small city and St John's Cathederal really worth visiting (max 2hrs) with good audio commentary units. We took water ferry from Sliema to Valetta, short trip but nice to do. Generally - buses very easy, frequent and cheap - did not need hire car.

Splash and Fun water park about 15-minutes by bus from St Juliens. Bus drops you at gate. Water park ok, not fantastic, but good fun for kids for a few hours.

St Juliens, I thought, was much more upscale than the likes of Bugibba. Would have hated Bugibba with its massed tourist shops, bingo at 11am etc.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fair comments - we are glad to know that you had a positive overall experience at our hotel.

Thanks also for taking the time to share your feed-back, which is valuable to our team and management.

Best regards

Ang
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This is the first 5 star we have stayed in so maybe our review is not as constructive as others
Paid for an upgrade room when booking and so glad we did fantastic view overlooking the harbour area (although i had thought it was a beach sea view)
Room was super spacious and very clean
Meals were excellent so much choice and beautifully displayed
Staff overall were very polite and helpful
Now for the nit picking,,,,,,, BBQ was a total waste of time badly organised and not a good choice as the leaflets state
No entertainment in this hotel which at times is more of a business mans convention and i think this lacked in guests mingling with each other
Late check out rooms can only be decided on the day and of course we could not keep ours as it was already booked Therefore more amenities for guests who have late flights would be a bonus

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindyloo186338
Kerry
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We really enjoyed our stay. We had two rooms as we are a family of 5 with three children, 9,7 &3. On check in, we had a few problems with interconnecting rooms, unfortunately there were none available but the reservation staff member I had been in contact with followed up personally & got us the next best thing- Excellent customer service. We were on half board and have to say the food was excellent for breakfast and dinner- Great choice to suit all tastes- BBQ on Friday night was lovely (wine included). Enjoyed the hotel facilities- spa, gym and kids clubs. The staff at the hotel were the highlight for me, very friendly and welcoming and great with my busy 3 yr old. Big thumbs up to Cristina and Adriana. The rooms were as you'd expect, I really liked the bathrooms, good sized bath and shower. I had read about building works but really this didn't hamper my enjoyment & I couldn't hear them . My three year old actually loved Lofty !!! The children went to do a PADI bubblemaker course across the road which they really enjoyed. Loved St Julians, as mentioned the kiosk outside in the square is great for snacks, coffee & icecream -very reasonably priced. We also swam in the sea across the road which was great. We will definitely be back to Malta & Le Meridien!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back! We are truly happy to read that your vacation with us was an enjoyable one for you and your family.

Great to hear also that you liked St Julians area. I am immediately forwarding your positive comments to the associates you mentioned in your review.

Once again many thanks
Kind regards to you and your family

Nicosia
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a couple of days whilst on a business trip. It was an acceptable 4 star but definitely not a 5 star and certainly not of the standard that i have come to expect from Meridien.

As other reviewers have stated, it is very clean, and the lobby area looks very nice with plush sofas (when I eventually found it), however I came into the hotel on level 0 which was dark and very musty smelling, not a good start.

The room was ok, it was quite spacious, the TV however was in a terrible position in relation to the bed, was extremely small (to be honest I thought most 5 stars had flat screens these days not small boxy TV's). The balcony was big but the view was not great, the sea was visible as were construction sites and washing lines, not my idea of a sea view, also the furniture on the balcony was dated and very worn.

The bathroom and toilet were separate which does sound great but I found the layout quite inconvenient, the toilet was near the entrance to the room and then you would have to come back on yourself to wash your hands in the bathroom. It sounds pedantic I know but there just seems to have been no thought put into this layout.

The bathroom itself was very tired, the sealant around the shower had mould and the showerhead was covered in limescale. Basically the room was not of a 5 star standard at all.

I had breakfast during my stay, it was ok but again certainly not what I am used to from a 5 star hotel and it was definitely not worth the extra 16 euros a day. I tried to have a snack in the Ku de Ta bar before leaving to catch my flight, however after waiting 45 minutes for a few nibbles I had to cancel. I'm not sure what the delay was as the place was almost empty.

The lifts were absolutely horrendous! sometimes you would be waiting 10 minutes for one to stop fo you and then when you finally managed to get in one, it was very slow and you are subjected to possibly the most irritating music/sounds that you can imagine, whoever thought that was a good idea seriously needs to reconsider!

I did not use the roof top pool, although I did go up and have a look at it, to be honest I was expecting great things from a roof top pool in what purports to be a 5 star hotel, I was dissappointed, the pool was small and certainly did not have a wow factor.

Now for the positives, as I said before it is clean, the staff are also very friendly. The hotel is also quite well positioned on the bay it seemed quite quiet yet you can walk to the more vibrant part of the bay in about 10 minutes.

However as I am planning to come back to Malta with my family in a few weeks time, I am glad I stayed here on business as otherwise I might have stayed here with my family and then I would have been very dissappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Dear Client,

We are very sorry that read that our property did not reach your expectations and we do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

On the other hand, we thank you for your detailed review which will be shared with the departments concerned. Rest assured that actions will be taken accordingly.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, should you wish to further discuss your concern. If you were to change your mind, we would be glad to welcome you again and with your family this time. This would give us the opportunity to make up for the experienced shortcomings.

Best regards,
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2010

A spacious hotel with lots of amenities, nice rooftop pool and indoor spa area. The staff were great especially Mario the concierge who dealt with everything before and during. The sea is a short walk away but its worth walking up to the tower where the area is bigger and quieter. They are building something behind the hotel and they started early but we didn't mind as we had a sort of mini suite with two balconies. Breakfast was vast and would suit all tastes we did not eat other than breakfast in the hotel, but used the bar extensively watch the nibbles before dinner. Seemed to me to be the best in St Julians and look wise I preferred it to the Westin which was in a bit more of a busier area. Enjoy and don't forget the Balluta kiosk just outside the back door, floor 0, it does great cheesecake!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iantoes
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your positive comments! It is always a pleasure to read that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

Thank you also for the tips regarding the neighborhood – I am sure that many travelers will find those useful.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon in Malta and at Le Meridien St Julians,

Kind Regards

Bernolakovo, Slovakia
Reviewed 12 July 2010

To sum up the review right at the begining this hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed in.
We had to book Le Meridien accidentaly (due to strike of Lufthansa pilots) as we were forced to make our holiday in Malta longer. We had already booked Hotel Juliani (see my other review) but they were full for the two days we needed. Therefore we booked Le Meridien.

From the moment we entered the hotel it was a perfect stay. The check-in was smooth and quick. We have received room facing the "city" but the view was not bad. The room is spacious and clean with separate toilet and bathroom. Bathroom also clean with many toiletries.
After a short break we went exploring Malta with a help of hotels concierge who booked us a sighseeing tour, with pick-up right from the hotel door.
In the evening we made use of wellness centre located in the hotel. The heated pool and jacuzzi are awsome.

When deciding where to go for the deinner we tried the Ku De Ta Lounge Bar. The prices were comparable to those at the Sliema, St. Julians Promenade and food was excelent. For me the biggest surprise was that they offer gluten-free pasta, which was perfect for me. This is also maybe a little advice for the hotel to promote this fact as this is a wise information for people who need gluten-free food.
My only other "complaint" as usual in my reviews, would be to have a free wi-fi.

A funny fact at the end. After check-out we went to Hotel Juliani and they have sent us back for one night as they were overbooked.

Overall I would surely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MicroBTS
Dear Reviewer and Guest,

I went through your detailed review and I am delighted to get to know about your positive experience. Thank you so much for recommending our property!

We will certainly look into your suggestions with regards to the gluten-free meals and WIFI,

Once again, many thanks
Best regards from the team,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!