“We'll certainly be back - a great hotel!”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We chose to stay at Le Meridien on the recommendation of friends. They certainly steered us in the right direction - the hotel was superb! We travelled on a Thomas Cook package with private transfers which got us to the hotel in jig time.
We had booked a sea view room (which we would recommend - there's nothing to see looking out the back!) and on arrival the receptionist announced that he was upgrading us (at no cost) to a 'Starwood Preffered Guest' room on the 10th floor. Our private balcony room was superb, with a great view over Balluta Bay. We had satellite TV, tea/coffee facilities, in-room safe, the quietest aircon we've ever experienced and a fantastic bathroom. We had bathrobes and slippers as well - a nice touch.
We were on bed and breakfast basis - the breakfasts were excellent, with buffet-style service, as well as eggs done to order. You would never be stuck for choice. We ate in the hotel a couple of nights in the Ku De Ta lounge - their burger special is amazing!
The whole ambience of the hotel makes for a very restful stay. The staff were all very friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for them.
We tried the Spa - again, friendly staff and a relaxing atmosphere.
We also ate in the 'Villa' restaurant at the front of the hotel - again a great dining experience, with good service and a nice menu.
Since we were on B&B, we ate out at night - never had a bad meal yet. There are pleny of restaurants, all offering a wide variety of styles and all very reasonably priced. We have holidayed in Italy and it was great to see that the Malta prices were much more realistic.
The hotel also laid on a nature ramble, organised in conjunction with the Malta Ramblers Association. This was a great day out and took us to parts of the island that you would otherwise never see. If you get a chance to take part in one of these organised events, we would certainly recommend it.
All in all an excellent holiday and without doubt, we will be back in Malta and will certainly be staying at Le Meridien.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BJ_McBluenose
Write a ReviewReviews (2,786)

Reviewed 12 November 2010

I had read mixed reviews on this hotel and was a little concerned, however upon arrival my fears were immediatel allayed. The hotel is is good position for walking although we hired a car to explore the whole of the island. We rented the car thru the hotel and were able to park for free in the car park opposite. Some reviews i read referred to building works and indeed these were halted during the time we were there tho i guess it could be annoying if they were ongoing whilst staying there. The staff were very friendly and helpful, we found the 15 euro breakfast a bit expensive but 10 minutes walk down the road u can find cafes serving full english for a fiver including a cup of tea. There is a kiosk in the square opp the hotel that serves a decent mug of english tea much better than in the hotel and we ended up there every night sitting watching the world go by enjoying our cuppa. We had a problem operating the mini bar but im sure it would have been sorted if we had pursued it but we bought bottles of water outside and there are ice machines on every floor. the pool area was quite busy and a lot of loungers had towels on but mostly these were ones left by previous occupants rather than being used to reserve the loungers . The gym was surprisingly good by hotel standards and the indoor pool and jacuzzi were nice to relax in . We didnt eat in the hotel so i cant comment on the food i wanted to get out and try local restaurants and there is something to suit all tastes and budgets within easy walking distance. we found everywhere to be clean and the food of good standard. The one place that sticks in my memory is in Mdina, there is a tea shop called fontanella and u can sit and look out over the city whilst enjoying the most delicious homemade cakes and tea. Overall i would thoroughly recommend the hotel and would definitely return again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2010

A very nice hotel, large airy rooms, friendly and prompt service and a comfortable ambience for a hotel of this size. Other reviewers have given detailed descriptions of the facilities so I won’t repeat them.

We sampled the excellent breakfast buffet, had snacks in the KuDeTa and tried the Italian buffet meal in the restaurant - food was fresh, portions reasonable and prices not exorbitant.

With a little care and attention the hotel may justify a 5 star rating, but for me it fell down on the small touches. The three staff at check in were dealing with other customers when we arrived, I expect to wait my turn but we were not even acknowledged, not a good first impression. Throughout our stay whenever we walked past reception the staff kept their heads down, a smile or good morning are small courtesies that I expect.

A final inspection of the room by housekeeping before we arrived would perhaps have discovered the hole in the bedcover visible from the door, the missing seat on the balcony, no ashtray, no slippers, no pen, all small things that were rectified immediately upon asking but I shouldn’t need to ask.

It is commonplace today to find a hotel directory in your room providing information on all hotel facilities, restaurant timings and menus, TV and internet instructions, local amenities etc however we were handed a photocopied sheet at check in.

The pleasant décor was marred by a slightly poor finish, chipped tiles, smears of grout and black mould around the base of the shower.

We stayed for the first week in November and I would be concerned that the hotel would not be able to adequately meet the demands of high season and full capacity.

A personal gripe is the charge for Internet in the room - free access is available in the lobby. If small family run hotels can provide free WiFi throughout then it smacks of greed for multi-national hotel chains to charge ridiculous amounts for the same service. We all know how much we pay for internet access and €3 for 30mins cannot be justified.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ramoth
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear Guests,

I would like to firstly thank you for your detailed review. We have shared your various comments with our team, in order to address any shortcoming that you may have experienced during your stay with us.

I am truly sorry for the inconveniences encountered, but I am glad that your overall experience with us remains a positive one.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future - It would be for us and for our staff the perfect opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Many thanks and regards,

Reviewed 5 November 2010

We staysd with some friends at Le Meridien a couple of weeks ago in October. All in all it was a lovely experience. We found the staff very helpful & hotel definately to 5* standard

The lifts as a few people have stated arent very efficient... at busy times such as around breakfast time we ended up taking the stairs down... plus sometimes getting into a lift you ended up going the opposite way intended... a little cramped too... especially when getting luggage up & down.

The bar on the 3rd floor was very nice... there was some entertainment on but we missed it - happy hour from 6pm to 7.30pm - where all drinks including cocktails half price was pretty good - but sometimes we made it back bout 7.15/7.25 & when the bill came to sign they charged full price but when this was pointed out there was no issue adjusting the bill.

The spa was lovely - i treated myself to a full body massage which was very good... i had hoped for other treatments but we didnt have time unfortunately... the spa pool was really nice - had a few evening swims in here, the jacuzzi was a bit on the small size for such a large hotel - only fit 4 people at a time but it was nice after a long day walking round

Breakfast was very good - excellent choice & quality of food/ egg chef even made poached eggs on request...

Loads of very good places to eat, cannot remember the names but we never had a bad meal.

So much to see & do in Malta a few things we did that we recommend is go to see The Hypogeum - its a world heritage site.. fasinating underground burial chambers around 2500BC - however due to demand best to book online before you go - it was booked up till md November when we went - due to its status they only can let so many people in per day!

Loads to do in Valletta - St Pauls Cathedral is worth a visit especially Caravaggio painting
Be around the saluting battery @ 12pm for the daily canon firing
fort rinella - has one of the worlds largest canons & they let you fire a canon for £10 - plus really interesting history talk on the fort & weapons etc
Malta Experience is a film giving the history of Malta - worth seeing too
Malta at war museum & Lascaris War Rooms really good to see if your interested in the 2nd world war
Mdina was very nice - great architecture & loads of nice craft shops

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Customer,

Thank for such a great feed-back - it was a pleasure for us to read through your review and your highlights for improvement have been duly noted. We are delighted with your positive experience of both our hotel and the Maltese islands.

Your genuine comments will certainly be helpful to other fellow travelers,

Looking forward to hosting you again,
Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 November 2010

For any one thinking about going to Malta, my advise is, GO!
I spent a fantastic week on the island of Malta from 28th Oct to Nov 3rd. We arrived late 2am and Martin at Reception of Le Meridien St Julians was very efficient checking us in to our room and explaining everything to us. We were very nicely surprised to find a large plate of very tasty chicken and salmon sandwiches for us to enjoy as a midnight snack. It was a very nice touch.

The weather was great while we were there, approx mid 20s (celcius) everyday, with bright blue skies. It was very much the low season so none of the bars and restaurants were overflowing with tourists which was fantastic. I cant imagine being in Malta in high season with temps at 35 degrees celcius plus, and everywhere packed with tourists. This time of year is my favourite for travelling, just my personla choice.

I was surprised how small the island is, every place is very accessible either by taxi or by the hilarious, frequent, and somethimes dangerous, yellow busses. The usual tour busses take day trippers up and down the island.

We stayed in St Julians. Its probably the liveliest area of the city along with Sliema and Paceville. These towns are all mashed together and easy to walk along the water from one to the other, there doesnt seem to be any major land mark distinguishing one town from another. Sliema seems to be the shopping and touristy area, St Julians a little less touristy, with lots of really lovely restaurants. Paceville also has some great eateries and good night life.

We stayed in Le Meridien in St Julians. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews about the hotel before I went there. But I have to say the hotel was great and I had no issues with any aspect of the hotel. What I need to clarify to any northern Europeans and Americans etc is that although the hotel is rated as a 5 star hotel, it seems that this rating is a Maltese standard rather than the standard of any other 5 star hotels Ive stayed in. Saying that, however, Le Meridien is a really nice hotel to stay in.Very relaxing and service very professional. I would class it as a 4 star hotel rather than a 5 star. There is a really gorgeous indoor pool which is part of the Spa. It has a jacuzzi and an out door splash pool as well as an out door seating area beside the indoor pool. The Spa has a rather extensive list of very relaxing looking treatments and a full gym.

The outdoor pool on the rooftop 12th floor is really lovely too. Lots of space for loungers, and towels available. There is also more sunbathing available on the roof on the other side of the hotel, facing Baluttal Bay. This is where I was found for most of the holiday. The view is so nice.

The business center on same floor as reception, is very nice looking and comfortable, however the internet connection and computers were not great. Internet access costs Eur5 for 30mins or EUR7.50 for 60mins, cards avail from reception.

I celebrated my birthday while I was there and I was treated to a complimentary mouse cake & bottle of wine, left in my room as a really lovely surprise.
The breakfast at the hotel was really great. Lots of choice, fresh selection of meats, fruits, breads, buscuits, joghurts, cereals, pastries and a hot breakfast buffet with a chef that will cook your eggs any way you want. My favourite was the chocolate fondue left temptingly beside the mini pastries. Yummy!! Its a breakfast you need to spend time with.

We had a superior, twin, country room (no sea view), with 2 balconies, on 7th floor. The room was large, with a fantastic rain style shower which was difficult to get out of. So refreshing and relaxing. I think the separate toilet is a great idea in the room but was baffled at the missing hand basin/sink in same room as toilet.!!! The sink in the shower room was a good size but had a flat base (not slanted towards drain) so water draining was slow and messy.

I completed my Advanced Open Water PADI dive course while I was in Malta, with Marc at Scubanauts dive school, based in St Pauls Bay. However as the dive sites are all over the island all divers can expect some travel time to each site, and I also managed to see lots of the island as we drove from site to site. Marc picked me up from hotel every day and dropped me off also. This service seems to be standard all over the island with most dive schools. As its low season, I had one to one tuition as I dived on my own with Mrac as my buddy. Although the winds over the few days were an issue I completed 5 amazing dives in great visibility with so many fish to see in the water. I did 2 wreck dives 30meters, which were amazing.

I would highly recomment Le Meridien. Its a great hotel, its clean and staff are very efficient, location is super, as its not in a noisey area, but its within walking distance to Sliema and Paceville (10-15mins walk).

But Malta is a place that is very much NOT about what hotel you stay in or even your location on the island. A trip to Malta is about Malta. The slower pace of life (especially in the south and northern agri areas), sunshine, beautiful boat trips and colorful history evident in its architecture, great food and great local Maltese people.
Swim2k

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We have found your review to be both very useful and very pleasant to read. Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Le Meridien St Julians and in Malta.

We have taken good note of your feed-back for improvement and I am personally very happy that you had such a great vacation with us.

Should you wish to visit us again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us direclty,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2010

We travel regularly to Malta for business projects and lodge frequently to this Hotel. Since 2008 the Hotel's Lifts where a complete nightmare how come these where never fixed i dont know. Each time we lodge in this hotel we are given a different room but strange enough all showers leak and this is a hazard to guest since guests can slip and get hurt also not to mention drainage smells and overflows with maintenance comming and going from our room frequently. I used t ask does this happen to e only when i travel? Rooms cleanliness i must say extra poor. Once we had someone using our toilet when we where not in hotel when we complained the houskeeper came up and appologised for what had happened and insisited that no one had gon in our room. So why appologise? funny.
On apositive note well done to Concierge dont know his name (Sorry) to Front Office Manager Mr Vela and to IT Manager Mr Guci that managed to helo us out with our difficulties and finally to the omelette chef who really does good omelettes.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Customer,

On behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for the negative experience you seem to have suffered during your stay with us. I am truly disappointed that our property and staff did not meet your expectations. We have taken good note of your feed-back and will certainly take action upon it.

On a more positive note, thank you for acknowledging those of our associates who provided you with the expected standard of service - your comments have been forwarded to them,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2010

Hi

My wife and I have just returned yesterday from 5 nights in Le Meridian - used trip advisor and expedia to find this hotel - always nervous about doing this but what a find!

Flew in with Ryan Air from Dublin - and it was a good experience which was a pleasant shock!!

Hotel located only 15 - 20 mins from airport - 21 euro in taxi direct to hotel - other options were available from 7 euro each in buses but direct was right thing to do for us!
Taxi driver booked us for return to airport.
On the way in to the hotel, the taxi driver gave us some great tips which saved us an absolute fortune and added up paid for the taxi!

Arrived in St Julians, passing back of hotel which faces out to the sea / bay - front / main entrance in on 3rd floor up side street - really classy and felt good the minute we arrived.

Check in was very efficient and we appeared to be upgraded in our room - 6th floor.
Although right above the main entrance we sacrificed a sea view for a view of the hills / gardens - but we moved from a small single balcony room to a large suite room, with 2 balconies - also away from street noise of bay and very quiet at night.

Room was absolutely superb - concierge brought up luggage. Once through room door, toilet area on rhs off main hallway in separate room to adjacent bathroom which had corner bath, wash hand basin / unit and large walk in shower area.

On down hall way, into magnificent bedroom, lounge area. Queen size bed, single balcony and double balcony, large TV, mini bar. Sofa with footstool and reading lamp- in corner. Dressing table with hairdryer etc installed, and double wardrobe with safe. Bench to put cases on.

Out for a dander and discovered the excellent SPA area on the 2nd floor - with large pool area, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna, even a cold dip pool outside for those brave enough. Wide range of treatments available - to suit every budget! One thing I liked but may be issue for those with kids - it is publicised throughout the SPA that this is an area for relaxation and parents are asked to keep kids quiet and under control - there is a contant sound of eastern music being piped and to be honest the thought of kids screaming and splashing would totally wreck ambience of this relaxation area.
Great to put on your white robe from room, bring your ipod and / or book and switch off after a day of exploring / sunbathing.

Back on the 3rd floor you find the Ku de ta bar and restaurant area and large areas to sit outside and relax - with swing seats.

Roof top pool, sun beds and gardens are great - although in October we spent all day Thursday on the roof - pool too cold but sun traps brilliant.

Staff brilliant and helpful.

PLEASE NOTE REVIEW TITLE ABOVE - spend wisely.
Rooms were value for money - they get you when you spend money in the hotel!

Breakfast in hotel from 15 euro each (and that has to be pre booked on arrival for that price) the hotel is surrounded by cafe and bistros with breakfast from 4 euro for full English! Also beer, wine and spirits in the hotel bar up to to 2.5 times dearer than in town bars.
(During the day at the roof top garden, we niped to kiosk outside hotel and bought freshly baked pies, pastries. snacks, beer and coffee for a fraction of the price and brought it in. Not PC but so what!)

Also, we had booked the Maltese night twice and this was cancelled on both occasions - however for Maltese food there are plenty of local bistros serving good food -GULULU in the harbour area great value and food.
Also, Fresco's at the sea front Sliema - great pasta, The Avenue Bar St Julians - food superb and great value for money. And as for La Cuccagna, Amery Street, Sliema - best pizza in the world!! Family owned, great value, full of locals, off the beaten track - needs to be found and not missed - see review on trip advisor! Must be booked.

Big money saving tip - book the combo open air bus trip with hotel concierge - 15 euro for all day hop on hop off north trip but with additional harbour cruise (just under 2 hours) thrown in - it is meant to be 15 euro on its own and 13 euro for bus - save 13 euro each! We took bus trip on day one and boat trip day 2 - but make sure to get your boat ticket when ypu are dropped off at bus trip starting station - they will give you a voucher to redeem. we met Australians who paid separate prices fro the 2 trips.

Spent full day in Valetta - great day out - and half day in Mdena - well worth it.

Overall - great taster of Malta and will be back!!

PS - the Australians we met stayed in the Bay Street Hotel in Paceville - about 20 min walk from Le Meridian - they had to pay for TV, payed more per night and were charged daily for safe use. Also Paceville is the night life area of Malta and they had thumping of music every night from 8pm on to early hours with thousands of clubbers celebrating their youth (or lack of it!) Le Meridian lets you walk and enjoy the nightlife if you want and then selfishly leave it behind for a quiet night sleep / rest!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NureKop

Dear Reviewer and guest,

What a pleasure it was to read your feed-back. It is always extremely rewarding for us all to witness our guests enjoy their stay at Le Meridien and in Malta in general.

Your review will certainly be very helpful to other travelers and we are happy to hear that you will return to the Islands.

Looking forward to welcoming you again...
Thanks and regards,

The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!