“Hotel's hospitality and warmth were qualities we witnessed during our stay”

Le Meridien St. Julians
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel's hospitality and warmth were qualities we witnessed during our stay”
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Staff all round were excellent. Their information were accurate and pin point to any enquiry. We were perfectly happy with our choice of hotel. It was my daughters choice. The hotels spa, pool, fitness , the whole area was exceptionally good and safe for the guests use. The large clean room size extent to balcony overlooking to Mediterranean Sea and better sunny view of Malta life added to our relaxation. The Bar, Buffet, and Breakfast has multiple choices and this spoiled us what to eat and what not to eat. My hats off to Hotel management who welcome their guest one Wednesday evening to know if there stay is trouble free and to know if Hotel can improve. Hey fellow traveller drinks were free..... hurry up.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Hotel is a very nice located, you have an easy access to numerous cafes and bars and the embankment, but nothing about promised old villa's garden around the territory. Inside the hotel it's unbelievable scent of old clothing or so - also not sufficient heating in rooms was rather disturbing.. The interior "design" is made without any sense of it at all, and in the end looks rather cheap and tasteless.. The stuff is not so much friendly. If you travel with a car be prepared to wait to get a card for free parking by reception every time you would like to drive out.

1 Thank Evgenia_87
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feed-back online.

I would like to apologize for your disappointment regarding your stay at Le Meridien St Julians. We strive at meeting our customers’ satisfaction and at providing them with a positive traveling experience, which is the reason why I am concerned by the fact that we fell short of your expectations.

I would like to underline that the scent you mentioned in your review is a branded Le Meridien scent, part of a global initiative called LM100 – it was created purposely for the brand, inspired from the atmosphere of a library or a book shop, topped up with vanilla aromas. It has been adopted by Le Meridien properties around the world and I am very sorry that it was not to your liking. Your feed-back will certainly be forwarded.

With regards to your remark about the Villa’s gardens, please note that our premises are indeed built on the grounds of a 19th century villa, in what used to be the gardens of the property. However in the building process, the gardens disappeared. We are very sorry for this misunderstanding and if you have come across wrong information about our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. If you point us out in the right direction, we will certainly rectify this immediately.

Wishing you many discoveries in your future travels and thanking you again for your constructive feed-back,

Turin, Italy
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Despite of the undoubted courtesy of the staff and the very good quality of the food at the restaurant, Le Meridien St. Julian is far away from the usual standard offered worldwide by Le Meridien. If you expect from a 5 stars hotel at least a clean and comfortable bedroom, this hotel is not the place where to go: when we arrived the bedroom was only apparently ready. Not really cleaned, no tv remote control (it appeared when requested at the reception desk). And the problems of cleaning didn't change all our 5 days stay long: we deliberately left a earbud on the bathroom floor and... it stayed with us 'till our last day in Malta. This fact made what happened on the January 1st 2011 a bit ironic: a cleaning lady knocked at our door at 8:50 am to "clean" the room! Ok, the night before I forgot to show the "do not disturb" tag out of the door but... it was the January 1st! More: no room service menu available in the room, no wardrobe enough for two people saring a room for more than a couple of nights. But the funniest thing happened when a heavy but short rain shower felt on the island: this way you can have your personal in-room swimming pool. In fact the balcony had no way to discard the water and we had to wait 'till the day after sun and wind to access the balcony again.
Definitely, if ever I'll go back to Malta, I'll try a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyingdaved
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are extremely concerned about the shortcomings you highlighted with our House Keeping services and we would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience suffered.

We would like to address and rectify any possible issue and we kindly invite you to contact the hotel directly via email to further discuss your experience.

Indeed, our guests' feed-back is our best tool for continuous improvement,

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Malta
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The Hotel is situated in a good prime spot, just walking distance to Sliema the main shopping area of Malta and the other side to St Julians the Mecca of night life at Malta. From the Balcones you have a fantastic view of Balluta bay. Just out of the hotel you have the Buses that take you to all parts of the island .The hotel staff are very well trained and ready to help with all your needs. The Main restaurant is on the 2nd floor with a fantastic Buffett; prepare yourself to work out the extra calories’ in the well equipped Gym. The climax of the Hotel is the spa it has that Asian atmosphere that calms you down and takes all your wares and tension away.
Definitely, a place to be.
I would like to compliment the Manager and the staff of t e hotel for a job well DONE

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank primica
Dear guest,

It is always a pleasure for me to read positive feed-back and I thank you for your time in sharing your travel experience with other customers.

I have forwarded your lovely comments to the team.

We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you again and I would like to take this opportunity to truy thank you for your custom,

California
Reviewed 1 January 2011

The coordination between the staff is not that great....They double charged us at the dinner and no one knew what was happening and we missed the fireworks because of it etc etc...Some of them are very professional and yet you don't get the service for a 5 star hotel in the end.

1 Thank DanaWill
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us. On behalf of our staff, I would like to apologize for the incident that tarnished your experience at Le Meridien. Rest assured that this will be addressed appropriately.

I truly do hope that you will visit us again in the near future - this would be the perfect opportunity for us to make up for your previous experience and exceed your expectations,

Best regards,
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2010

This was the second time my mother and I stayed at Le Meridien St Julians Hotel and Spa to celebrate her birthday. The reasons for going back to Malta and booking the same hotel two consecutive years is evident in my assessment of the first class hotel.

The hotel over looks Balluta Bay in the St Julians area of Malta. It is situated in a quiet part of St Julians. The hotel is within walking distance of Silema (lots of shops!) and the ferry to Valletta.

Our room on both trips has been large and airy with plenty of storage space, comfy beds, very clean and lovely view of Balluta Bay from the balcony. The general areas (reception etc) are also spotlessly clean and attractively decorated. The spa offers a wide variety of treatments in a tranquil atmosphere. Throughout the hotel the staff are extremely pleasant and helpful.

The most impressive point from our 2009 visit had been the restaurant food. 2010 certainly did not disappoint.

The dinner buffets are prepared by Reuben Grixti (Executive Head Chef) and his team. Each evening we were shown around various dishes by either a chef or a member of the restaurant staff. The buffet selection was different each day and always looked so appetising. The desserts looked so wonderfully elaborate that I took numerous photographs!

There was nothing that I can point out as a `weak link' in the Le Meridien St Julians Hotel & Spa.

I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to visit Malta.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank CatherineS64
Dear reviewer,

I am delighted about your positive experience with us and it was a real pleasure to go through your lovely review.

Thank you so much for your loyal custom and for your recommendations,

Please forward our greetings to your mum and do not hesitate to contact us directly next time you visit our Island,

Many thanks once again,
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2010

4th to 8th December 2010 Room 834
Strangely, the front of this hotel is at the back, and vice versa. (Only in Malta!)
We arrived at the hotel late in the evening. The receptionist was on the phone when we arrived, and could have at least nodded to acknowledge our presence. After he finished his phone conversation he was polite and efficient, but tried to get us to buy an upgrade room for an extra €25 per night. It turns out this was just for a sea view, and not an actual room upgrade. I politely declined and he didn’t push the issue further. I like a sunny balcony in the afternoon, which I wouldn’t have got had I been at the front (or should I say the back) of the hotel with the sea view.
Most hotels I’ve stayed at have a porter to assist with the luggage and show us to our room, but we were just pointed in the direction of the lift, and had to make our own way.
Luckily our room was at the opposite end from the building site adjacent to the hotel. So the noise wasn’t too bad. The room was spacious, and well equipped, with the usual tea/coffee facilities. There was also a hair dryer, an iron, and a trouser press with an attached ironing board. The bed was very comfortable and large. The pillows were far too soft for me, however that is just a personal issue and not a fault with the hotel. The toilet was extremely small. I’m not a big guy, but I could barely move in there. The corner bath was in my opinion rather small, but it did the job. The shower had excellent water pressure, the best I’ve had in Malta. A slight smell, from the shower cubicle, but not as bad as other people have suggested. I only mentioned this because I’d read previous reviews, so I was particularly looking out for it, otherwise I wouldn’t even have noticed. There was supposed to be disposable slippers in the room, but I had to ask for them. Also, the shower gel, shampoo etc was not replenished until the last day, when I had to phone reception. They were brought to the room about 30 minutes later. We were also told we were supposed to have been given complimentary water as well, but we didn’t get any. The only water in the room was a ½ltr bottle of water with the minibar, but I won’t embarrass the hotel with the price (yet). You’d only laugh.
My first breakfast wasn’t a pleasant experience. I arrived in the restaurant 20 minutes before the end of the breakfast session. I barely got anything to eat as they were already starting to clear away all the food. Oh, was I angry!!!
Missing breakfast gave me the opportunity to eat out, and this is very cheap in Malta.
I like to take my time at breakfast, so the following morning, I arrived with 2 hours to spare, and spent all those two hours sampling the excellent food. I noticed many guests filling their plates up and only eating a small amount. What a waste. I had small portions but replenished my plate about 5 times. I don’t like to waste anything. Sparkling wine at breakfast was nice, but with only two bottles shared between all the guests, it went fast. I kept seeing empty bottles. I had to ask for a fresh bottle as the staff were obviously too busy to notice. When it arrived, it was at room temperature. What’s wrong with keeping it refrigerated before putting it out for the guests?
This is the only hotel I’ve stayed at where I actually used the indoor pool. Most pools stink of chlorine, enough to make my eyes water just being in the room. This pool was different. Perhaps it has better ventilation. I also tried out the steam room, the sauna, and the hot tub. All were excellent. I wasn’t able to try out the gym as I didn’t have appropriate footwear. It looked very well equiped. Far better than expected of a hotel.
Why do hotels charge such high prices for the minibar? If it was let’s say 150% of shop prices, I’d probably have bought everything. The hotel would have made a decent profit from me. At double shop prices, I may have bought perhaps half of what’s on offer, but at these ridiculous prices, you have to be joking. Who would willingly pay for water at €5 for half a litre. What was so special to justify this price? Perhaps this water came from the fountain of youth!!!
It was a nice comfortable sunny 24°C (6th Dec) so we spent all that day sunbathing on the rooftop. We had the place virtually all to ourselves. I even got a bit of a tan to take home.
Overall, my experience at this hotel was a pleasant one, and I would recommend it (apart from the minibar).

2 Thank l8127425
LeMeridienMalta, Manager at Le Meridien St. Julians, responded to this review, 14 December 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property with other fellow travelers. Your detailed feed-back will certainly be useful to many.

We have duly noted the shortcomings you highlighted with regards to the breakfast and the minibar pricing and we will be discussing this internally,

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future,
Many thanks and kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Le Meridien St. Julians? Share your experiences!