“Overlooking Spinola Bay”
Review of Hotel Juliani

Hotel Juliani
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This was the second time we had stayed at the Hotel Juliani. As before and as most reviewers have recommended, we chose a sea view room (we were in 401). The layout of the hotel is such that there are 8 or 9 rooms on each floor, but only 3 of these have the sea view. And some are "internal" in that they only look out to the light shafts.

The room was pleasant, with modern decor, and a balcony overlooking Spinola Bay

The layout of the hotel is also such that rooms only start on the 4th floor

If you are staying 4 days or more they offer a free pick up from the airport, which is quite useful. You have to pay for the taxi back yourself!

We ate one night at Zest, the hotel restaurant, which I felt lacked the intimacy of a smaller restaurant, but that is a personal thing. Zest is expensive with a meal for two, if you include service and a modest bottle of wine, coming to around 100€

The ground floor lounge was a nice place to grab a coffee

Room Tip: I would go for a sea view room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moraira
fabiensf, Operations Manager at Hotel Juliani, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear moraira,

thank you for your great review and feedback!

I would just like to make a clarification for other TA members that the complimentary one way pickup is only applicable for direct bookings made via our website, by phone or email.

regards,

Fabien

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed in room 403, one of the Ambassador Suites from 29th January until 5th February. We chose this hotel as the Tripadvisor reviews by others were so good. This was our first visit to Malta and this hotel is in a busy seafront location, with good views over Spinola bay. We had dinner at the Zest restaurant once during our stay and the service was excellent and the food superb. The general ambiance and style of the hotel and restaurant is very contemporary and tastefull, and the room was enormous and beautifully furnished, with a large balcony. We certainly appreciated the free wi-fi in the room and the choice of two televisions to watch! Breakfast was buffet style with the option of eggs cooked to order, and the pastries, breads and coffee were particularly good. The surrounding area had a wide range of bars and retaurants of varying quality, and we enjoyed 1927, Paparazzi and Gululu. Transport around Malta is easy and cheap, with bus stops being across the road outside the hotel. There is a hop-on and hop-off bus for €15 for a whole tour of either North or South of the Island, and these are a great option to orientate yourself in what malta has to offer but the local buses are €2.60 anywhere for the whole day and are great value. We would suggest that it is not necessary to have a hire car in Malta. There is a multiplex cinema in walking distance in Paceville in case you have to escape bad weather. The back streets of Sliemma are really beautiful and interesting to see, however the highlight of the trip was Mdina and we went back twice and we would certainly recommend this hotel as a base to explore Malta. There is a McDonalds next door but don't panic, it is one of the tasteful new McDonalds coffee shops, a bit like Starbucks.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sleevemark
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Excellent hotel in St Julians, hotel was comfortable with a great view of the bay and well located with a short drive away to Valetta. Numerous quality restaurants and nightlife are also a short walk away, 15 minute walk to the Casino, make sure you take your passport with you, you will not be admitted otherwise.

Room Tip: A suite or junior suite with a sea view is the only way to go, terrific view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2012

St. Julians is filled with big "five-star" hotel complexes, so if you would like to stay in a smaller and charming hotel - Juliani is your choice.

It has super location at Spinola bay, next to numerous excellent restaurants. The night life of Julians is about 5mins walk. There is also bus stop at the front of the hotel, so it is very easy to take a bus to Sliema, Valletta... where ever you like almost.

I have no complaints towards the hotel. Rooms were nicely decorated, spacious enought and clean. There is a rooftop pool on the top, didnt try it out as it was November already...
Breakfast was served at the lobby and selection was rather small but completely adequate.
I stayed in a room with sea view - it pays off to take one! The prices in November were absolutely bargain, but during the high season Juliani might be pricey as every hotel in the area.

All in all, Juliani beats 6-0 the other "boutique" hotel in the area - the George (George was the worst hotel experience for me in 2011).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank mokoma
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stay in 200 hotels 5 star , 4 star for all the world , but this hotel for me no one

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Elayeb
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed in Hotel Juliany for a vacation at the beginning of January 2012. I work very hard and travel a lot and was looking for a nice place to enjoy a week of leisure in a sunny place. I made a reservation on-line directly on the hotel's web page and chose a package called "beat the brunch". Anyway, I had troubles with a flight on the day of my departure so my flight was cancelled. Even before knowing whether I could make a new reservation, I sent an e-mail to Juliani and cancelled the booking. Although they could charge me for one night stay as I cancelled it on the day of the arrival, they did not do it. Later during the day I successfully rebooked my flights for the other day and made a new reservation. Beat the crunch package included room with a full breakfast +one free dinner in Zest restaurant + free voucher for Hop on Hop off sightseeing bus + fruit basket in the room + airport pick-up. I made a calculation - if I bought all these separately, it would cost me almost 200 Euro. Anyway, hotel is really sitated centrally, in the heart of Saint Julian with a bus stop opposite the hotel. I did not choose room with a sea view, because it would cost me 200 Euro more and I read some reviews - hotel is actually on the street, the road is in front of it, so it may be noisy. I did not regret it. Hotel is very clean, with contemporary furniture. Service is great, everybody is very friendly. I got a small gift from them - a box of Maltese cookies, which was very nice. Breakfast is very good, there are two options - full English (which is 14 Euro if you don't buy a package) or a selection of local pastries (4,9 Euro). I enjoyed the fruit, cheese selection. Restaurant Zest is a fancy place, little too much, some kind of avangarda of Asian food, I did not like it very much - but as I had free dinner, I tried it once. I read a lot of reviews on this hotel before choosing it - all are true, it depends what are you looking for. It is not cheap, but I liked the position, I liked it because it was not a huge hotel chain with hundreds of rooms, staff was very helpful - answered all my questions and directed me everywhere. It would cost me more if I booked room only, not the package, as breakfast is not included in the regular price. So it worths to look more carefully and find the best option.

Room Tip: Room on the back side are quiter but without the view on the beautiful bay.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank DjurdjicaO
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend with a group of friends in Malta. We had 3 rooms booked at Hotel Juliani and ours was the only one with problems. We were moved from our original room due to electrical problems, and our second room had a faulty window, which meant we heard noise all night from garbage trucks and street traffic.
We paid 80 euros a night, which included a food/beverage voucher for what turned out to be our favorite restaurant (Barracuda). The staff was friendly and helpful, but next time I'll go with a chain I know better. This place was good for what we needed, which was very little time spent in the hotel, a clean, comfortable bed and good location for a bus stop. But all that being said it's not a place I'll remember.

Room Tip: Make sure your windows close!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Hotel Juliani? Share your experiences!