“I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!”
Review of Hotel Juliani

Hotel Juliani
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Watford, England, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

When I first booked a room for my boyfriend and I at the Hotel Juliani, it was #1 in St. Julian's. Since visiting, I can safely say that it 100% deserves to be #1. Our experience staying in the hotel made our holiday.

From the moment we arrived, we were given complimentary non-alcoholic drinks at the bar, and greeted by the very friendly members of staff. We then took the lift up to level 5 to go and see our room. We were staying in room 507 (a standard room), and it was identical to how the rooms had been portrayed in the photos; it was immaculately clean (a LOT different to the hotel we stayed at last year!) and the room was very spacious. We booked a room without a sea view, but this wasn't an issue. We still had two balconies -- one connected to the bedroom, one connected to the bathroom. The room backed onto a side road which was a lot quieter than the busy main road.

The hotel staff really respect the guests' privacy. There are door signs available to use if you are sleeping & wish to be left to relax, if there has been a fault with anything in the room (which humored me, with the phrase 'Call the guy! I don't know what happened but I promise I didn't touch anything') or if you wish to have your room cleaned. There were also signs to be used in the bathroom if you wish to have your towels changed. There were complimentary shower gels, moisturisers and shampoo/conditioners which were replenished each time they were running low.

The hotel food was lovely too. We ate breakfast as part of our package most mornings -- there was a buffet available consisting of croissants/small cakes/breads, bacon/scrambled eggs/mushrooms/sausages etc, a cheese board, sandwich meats, fruit & yogurts (plenty of choice!). Drinks such as fresh orange juice, fruit juices, coffee and water were available on request. For lunch, we often purchased food by the bar -- I'd really recommend the mushroom & goat's cheese pitta breads (they were around 5-6 euros but so worth it). There is also a restaurant called 'Zest' where the staff are very friendly too. We didn't get around to eating there, however, we popped in to enquire about the menu and we were also informed that it gets busy so it's best to book ahead.

My personal favourite part of the hotel had to be the rooftop pool. The pool was warm despite being on the airy rooftop & it's the perfect excuse to catch some rays. The view from the rooftop (level 9) is a gorgeous view of Spinola Bay. There is a bar on the rooftop & the staff provided all guests with small complimentary drinks frequently (I think we had a non-alcoholic pina colada one day which was lovely!) and ice cold face towels. If you stay at the Hotel Juliani, I'd really recommend going up to the rooftop at around 9.30pm (as long as there are no events being held upstairs) -- this way you get a beautiful view of the bay when all of the lights of the restaurants/tour boats are lit & it's an amazing atmosphere. The pool is also generally empty at this time.

Upon departure, we had a knock on our bedroom door with a gift bag containing a Maltese delicacy. This was a really nice touch, and made us even more upset that we were leaving very soon. We stayed for 11 days, and I would have loved to stay for even longer. The staff treat all of the guests so well, and made us feel memorable each time we bumped into them.

Thank you Hotel Juliani for such a wonderful stay and giving us the best holiday yet!

Room Tip: A room facing the side road, rather than the bay, might be best for a quieter night sleep!
2 Thank Lizee B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and cannot recommend it enough!!!
Staff could not do enough for us, we had a late flight home and they let us keep our room till 4pm at no extra cost. We were celebrating our anniversary and got upgraded to an ambassador suite which was amazing, with the best view of the bay ( and the fireworks that went off as part of a local fiesta celebration) great location within walking distance of many nice restaurants. We highly recommend the Italian a few doors up called pepinos!

Overall an excellent stay with excellent staff and service. I will definitely return and recommend this hotel to family and friends!

Thank you hotel juliani! X

Room Tip: Sea view is a must!!!
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived in Malta at about 8 in the morning and headed straight to the hotel. They had a safe room to store our bags and let us use the roof top pool until our room was ready.
Our room was 503 and was on the front of the hotel with fabulous views from our balcony of St Juliens bay.
The room was very spacious and had two televisons that could recieve Sky news so we able to keep up to date. Robes and slippers were provided and there was also a sitting area between the beds and the balcony.
The bathroom was very good and was resupplied each day.
There is a busy road right outside the hotel but because you are so high above it you dont hear any traffic noise.
Busses stop right outside so it is easy to get to Valletta Mdina or anywhere on the island and it is also very cheap if you buy a day ticket.
We only had breakfast on one day which was perfectly adequate but not as extensive as we have had elsewhere and choice was a bit limited.
There are a number of really good restaurants close by which enable you to eat on terraces overlooking the harbour so we didnt eat in the hotel. Rafaels was good as was the Maltese restauarnt next door
There was a bit of a hickup when we paid the bill as the receptionist put the amount through incorrectly several times and undercharged us by 7 euros. This was compounded by giving me a receipt that showed me owing a further nights charge of 200 euros approx. The call to our room asking us to pay the 7 euros was one that should not have been made. However the situation was rectified with a proper reciept and the offer to pay for a taxi to the airport the following morning

When in Malta Valletta is a must as is Mdina and the Blue Lagoon at Comino
If you go to the blue lagoon go early on the bus and get the water taxi from the terminus for 10 euro. You will get there before all the pleasue boats and be able to get good pictures. You can also come back at your time of choosing on the water taxi

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms on the front of the hotel we had room 503 which is significantly larger than the o...
1 Thank petez324
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the beginning of our honeymoon and they did not disappoint. We had a beatiful junior suite overlooking Spinola bay. The hotel is very accessible to all the restaurants and is right in the hustle and bustle of everything. There is a beautiful little rooftop bar with small swimming pool and the staff give free little shots of refreshing mango juice every now and again. The jacuzzi in our sweet was amazing and it all led to a relaxing start to the honeymoon. Our only regret is not trying zest restaurant, but so many restaurants, so little time.

• Stayed July 2013
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A friend held a party at the hotel so I decided to stay the night for ease and I was not disappointed. I stayed two nights in a very lovely, comfortable, spacious room, which was booked as a single occupancy but was a normal double room. It had everything I needed from safe, hair dryer, robes, mini bar, TV, etc. I was given a welcome drink on arrival and a letter from the hotel welcoming me and offering help with anything I needed during my stay. The front desk were friendly and polite and helpful when asking questions about the local area. The cafe staff were especially helpful to me when I fell ill (from too much fun and sun, nothing serious) and took me back up to my room. They were very kind and helpful. The cleaning team were also very kind checking on me once to see if I needed anything then leaving me to rest. The air conditioning was good and quiet, very few hotels have quiet aircon.
I would most definelty recommend this hotel and will stay here again. It's not a major international chain luxury hotel, so don't go there expecting the Ritz Carlton or something, go there expecting a very tranquil, welcoming, comfortable boutique hotel where you can relax and enjoy St Julian's from.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Lovely hotel with efficient, helpful staff. Reception area houses a bar and café with a business-type atmosphere. Good quality fittings and bed linen in the bedrooms with plenty of space. Stunning view over the waterfront which seemed better than the website photographs.
When booking I was concerned this hotel might have been right in the centre of a busy night life district. We found it to be a very busy area regarding traffic – traffic jams outside the hotel daytime and evenings but there was no problem from holiday partygoers. Plenty of restaurants with great deal of choice around the bay in walking distance. Private hotel parking took the stress out of finding parking in a very congested place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We chose the Hotel Juliani because it was rated #1 out of 30 hotels in St Julian's. Having stayed there, I don't understand how it received this rating. The hotel seemed adequate, but nothing out of the ordinary. The staff at the front desk was helpful, and the room was clean, but had not extras. The room was small, the public space was minimal, and there was no outdoor property. A small, crowded roof-deck pool was the only option for sitting outside. The hotel is located on a very congested block which felt much more like an inner-city hotel that a beach resort. We did see the new Westin, St Julian's from the outside (currently rated #4 on TA). This hotel looked much bigger, and had much more property. It seemed to be a beach-front hotel with beautiful grounds. If I were to go to Malta again, I would definitely try this hotel.

4 Thank Esther J
fabiensf, Operations Manager at Hotel Juliani, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Esther J,

Thank you for your review.

You are correct in saying we are not a beach resort; a term which we strive not to be associated with. As a boutique hotel, we try to provide personalised and friendly service in a cosy environment, in what is probably one of Malta's most charming bays.

This is represented in photos and descriptions on our website and is part of the attraction for so many travellers as attested to by our reviews. It seems, however, you expected something altogether different. For that I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate the feedback.

sincerely,

4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,327 reviews
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to Hotel Juliani? Share your experiences!