Book here - you won't be disappointed.
€6.50 for a weekly bus ticket can be bought at the airport, directly opposite arrivals. Get on an X2 and stop at "St Julians" or "Ross" - the hotel is a 5 minute walk from either stop...Downhill from "St Julians" as far as you can go, then turn right. From "Ross" go down the street by the little park and turn left. You can't get lost - just look for the tallest building around - your hotel is opposite. Want to go to Valetta? Bus 12 or 13 goes there from the same bus stops every half an hour and terminates at Valletta. Want to go to Gozo - get the 222 from the stop across the road.
Staff here are super-helpful and even got some Gluen free bread and cereal for my wife's breakfast. They will help you out with any questions you have.
Our room had the smallest bathroom we have seen anywhere, but was still perfectly functional. Lots of hot water, a safe (small), fridge .... and a supermarket 30m down the road to stock it. We were in room 125 and had a proper balcony to sit on.
Directly across from the hotel is an archway next to "Cleland Suchet" where you will find a small marina and a few restaurants (which we haven't tried). If you go to the bus stop at "Ross", then walk another 2 minutes in the same direction the bus goes to Valletta, you will get to Spinola bay...Anywhere else and you really need to start using your mega-cheap bus ticket.
Please note that we came here in April (out of season) and the busses get extremely busy at certain times - you will probably have to stand at some point. I have no idea how bad it will be in summer, but I would hope they put on more busses.
Maltese food portions can be quite large, so watch out if you only want a light meal! Prices can be quite "touristy" ( = expensive), but equally some really nice food can be found at great value.
We have eaten in the Hotel's Pizzeria/restaurant - I have never had a pizza with Honey and Walnuts on before but it was great! My wife had a Cheese salad, thinking it would be quite light - it was huge, so we had a doggy bag and took a load back to the room. We have also eaten in "Raffael" in Spinola bay - and were quite impressed - but note that this place does get very varied reviews.
We have eaten twice at "Caravaggio" in St John's square in Valletta and both times thought we got reasonable value for money - and the food was good.
People here in Malta tend to be some of the friendliest around, and we have had a most enjoyable stay here...WHEN we come back we WILL stay at Il Rokna again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ROKNA HOTEL is a three star hotel run by the Camilleri family. It is situated in the centre of Paceville, right opposite Hilton Hotel. Five minutes walk to the seaside, and within easy access to lidos with swimming and sports facilities, shops, restaurants, discos and the Casino. Paceville is in the heart of St. Julian's, and one of the most popular resorts in Malta. ROKNA HOTEL offers comfortable rooms overlooking the Hilton Portomaso grounds. Some rooms have a balcony. Each room is nicely decorated and has private facilities. Some have a bath, others a shower. All rooms are air conditioned and have cable/satellite TV and telephone direct dialing. WI-FI connection is available throughout the hotel at no extra cost. A lift service is available to all floors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Odigeo, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Rokna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rokna Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Rokna Saint Julians
- Rokna Hotel Saint Julians
- Rokna Malta