“booked through a travel agent ,was very disappointed”

Alexandra Hotel Malta
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 29 September 2011

myself and my husband stayed here in september 2009 ,hotel was very disappointing .the downstairs pool was closed and the rooftop pool was dirty and not very well maintained.
the rooms were only passable we had a small double matress set on a piece of timber.thats the only way i could describe it!!!!
the bathroom and shower were ok ish ,needed a good clean.sheets were not changed for the whole 2 weeks we were there we had to ask for clean sheets.we had our own towels.
the staff in dining room and bar were very friendly in all fairness and the breakfast was good every morning ,
i am sorry to say these were the only good points ,so make up your own minds.
i complained to travel agent when we got home ,but they didnt really care needless to say i wont be using them again. from carole galway ireland

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolegalway

Reviewed 17 September 2011

definately won't be returning to the alexandra - must have been staying in a different hotel from those who posted postive reviews. First impressions - stale smell of smoke throughout the hotel. Yuk! I know there is building work going on and had no complaints about this - The hotel is tired and and very dated towels and linen desparately need replacing.- Think they should clean the common areas of the hotel as they are very grubby - the windows surrounding the breakfast area and pool cover are black with grime. - Breakfast ok.- have been in a lot better places for the same cost. Staff were pleasant and location was good - these are the only positive things I can say.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frances b
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Run down and grotty hotel, smelt of stale cigarettes and in desperate need of a refurb. Our room was ok on the offset but then when you started to look a bit closer our toilet seat was broken, the egdes and corners of the floor was filthy and thick with dirt, the corners of the bath were filthy and thick with limescale and rot. Just a horrible, horrible experience which made our holiday quite unenjoyable as we hated coming back to the hotel. I have stayed in lots of budget hotels so I do know what standard to expect and have never experienced anything like this, general standards of cleanliness to me are something that you do not skimp on basic or not. I wouldnt recommened staying here and I honestly cannot believe that there are so many good reviews on here. This is the worst hotel my boyfriend and I have ever stayed in, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Room Tip: Don't even bother booking a room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank H M
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have organized group accommodation for mixed age groups (25 – 80) for between 40 – 60 rooms twice a year for the past 7 years. The Alexandra Hotel has consistently delivered great value for money and you will not find more friendly helpful staff anywhere in Malta. The hotel has undergone considerable modernisation and improvement to facilities over the past couple of years which has sometimes been challenging. However the overwhelming feedback from our group members is that they love the hotel and its staff, which is demonstrated by the number of repeat bookings we get. They look forward very much to their next visit and consider it to be their “home from home” in Malta

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are on the top floors - close to the pool as well.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed in the Alexandra Hotel from 10th - 15th July with my brother, this wasn't our first stay at this popular Malta hotel. We were very pleased indeed when checking in to be given one of the brand new apartments that the hotel has to offer and incredibly we'd only booked a standard twin room. The accommodation was very clean and consisted of a twin bedroom with flat screen TV, a big modern bathroom with huge corner bath unit and wicked shower and a lounge/kitchen/diner room; we also had a large balcony. Both the bedroom and lounge had modern air conditioning units that kept us nicely cool at 20C (it was nearly 40C outside). The apartment was cleaned well every day, although fresh towels were late coming on a couple of days - but I'll forgive them that. As usual the hotel was packed with noisy (but well behaved) teenagers, but they have a right to have fun too and they didn't disturb us whatsoever. The hot buffet breakfasts were much appreciated and the young lady on reception is a real treasure indeed. I have read some highly critical reviews of this hotel, but in my last two stays I can quite honestly say I have got much, much more than I've paid for. I cannot deny that parts of the hotel are looking "a bit tired", but this is why there is some renovation and upgrading works going on, to me this simply demonstrates the hotel's commitment to continuous improvement, which I applaud. Well done Ally Pally, see you again soon.

Room Tip: I think a few nice compliments, rather than criticisms, justified or not, will get you the best room...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Notthedrapster
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Our main purpose of the trip was to spend a few nice days in Malta and stay somewhere not far from the airport and in a nice part of town. The Alexandra is in a great location - it's in the center of everything - shopping, bars, restaurants, and even a supermarket is just 2 blocks away.
The hotel itself was hit or miss.
HITS:
1) staff was wonderful and friendly, especially Romina at the front desk - she went above and beyond to help us (we arrived when Malta changed over their public bus system and public transportation was a nightmare, and Romina was EXCELLENT in helping us navigate the island and gave great advice and help).
2) the room was huge and had a large balcony to top it off!...we had a room in the new wing so that could have been the reason.
3) the room was clean and the air conditioning worked perfectly!
4) it was quiet. Being so close to Paceville, we thought the hotel would be booming but the noise doesn't travel.
5) the complimentary breakfast exceeded our expectations...not only did they have cereals and breads but they also had breakfast meats, eggs, and deli meats. definitely didn't expect any hot food for the price that we paid for the hotel so very pleasant surprise!
CONS:
1) missing some basic things: the room came with soap and towels, but oddly no shampoo or lotions. and no notepad or pens...it's no big deal but just odd to me compared to other hotels.
2) the pool area - they're pretty sad looking but again, no big deal because why spend time in a hotel pool when you're on a beautiful island
3) WIFI - the hotel charges a lot for wifi, but there are certain parts of the hotel (like the dining room) where you can get it for free...or on your balcony from a neighboring hotel

Room Tip: if you can request a room in the new wing, that would probably be the best bet!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have stayed at this Hotel twice a year for the last six years. It suits my budget and I enjoy the friendly reception I get every time. The Hotel is family run and I have always found them to be most obliging. Currently, there is an ongoing programme of room upgrades and extension work, but if your room is on the seaward side of the Hotel, you would hardly notice. The location is great and close to Paceville, which is the centre of Malta's nightlife for the younger person. As a consequence it can be a bit noisy on a Saturday night when the fun goes on until the early hours - Even though I am 62 years old, I tend to join in, rather than grumble about it! Just up the road is a nice beach (10 minutes walk) and if you want to get a bit of quality dining - Portomaso is about 100 yards away! The hotel has enough places of interest within walking distance not to require a Hire Car. If you want to get out and about, the local bus service is cheap and efficient and will take you where you want to go. Since my trip in October, the old yellow buses have been withdrawn - which is a shame - they were always a "must do" part of my trip. Now the service is to be provided by modern ones - at least the aircon will be appreciated! I will be back out there first week in October - if you recognise me - Cheers, mine's a Cisk !

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends