“Cheap Stay...expected”

Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
San Diego, California
“Cheap Stay...expected”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for a Rugby tournament so i did not book it but it was horrible. The rooms are very small and crammed and the bathroom was dirty and poorly lit. To be expected for paying only 240 Euro for 3 nights stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! The only good thing was the price but there are very nice hotels in the area that aren't much more so save a little more and try staying at a nicer one.

It is located by the main attractions in Paceville and the beach is about a 5 minute walk away. Like i said, you can save a little more money and stay at the nicer hotels on the beach. Don't go here!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, try and get the renovated rooms on the new wing. The other rooms are horribl...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Adam J
JulianneSt_Julains, Manager at Alexandra Hotel Malta, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Unfortunately there wasn't exact information in which room Mr. Adam was staying. According to our hotel system Mr. Adam was staying in room 621, a room on the sixth floor which was refurbished two years ago. A photo of this room and of the bathroom can be seen in our professional photos. (Room 621 is the room with blue furnishings).

Cleaning of the room is done daily including changing of towels and changing of linen every two days. If the cleaning and room standard was not up to Mr. Adams expectations we would have been pleased to help Mr. Adam if he brought this to our attention whilst he was still at the Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My son and I have just stayed in this hotel after being double-booked in another so-called hotel. On arrival at the Alexandra we were treated with care and attention and the staff went out of their way to get us a room quickly and ensure that our bad experience did not affect the rest of our holiday. My son in particular was upset and they treated him like one of their own, as do all Maltese people.

I cannot thank Roma and Chris enough for accommodating us at such short notice and making us feel welcome. A nice room after a night-flight is a god-send. We were given a family room and it was thoroughly cleaned every day and fresh towels supplied.

This hotel is excellent value for money, the staff are caring and courteous and I will definitely will be staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kenny H
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for two weeks in April 2013. April considered as shoulder season in Malta, but if you are ready for groups of eroupean teenagers who are coming to study english - this is hotel for you. They were screaming almost 24 hrs a day, and group leaders and staff couldn't do anything with them. They occupied all areas in the hotel so sometimes it was impossible to reach the reception even to leave a key. Sometimes it was impossible to get breakfast as there was no free table in the restaurant.
I arrived at midday, but room was ready so I checked-in immediately. Deposit in amount of 30 Eu per person for the whole duration of stay is obligatory. I was really surprised as I didn't expect it so be ready. They will give it to you back in the end of your stay if everything is fine.
I was travelling alone, but got twin room for single use. Room was spacious, but amenities didn't refresh. Cleaning was good, towels were changed every day. My room had a balcony with chapel view.
Breakfast was one of the worst I've ever seen. Bread, bread, bread and nothing more. In the end of the first week I stopped to get breakfast in the hotel and took it out.
Internet is payable, 30 Eu per 5 days, but I had a lot of good neighbors with free wi-fi, so I didn't pay anything :)
Swimming pool was closed for the renovation during my stay.
All in all, hotel is good, but they have to change the segment of market. If I knew the hotel will be full of teenagers - I would never go there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The only positive thing about this hotel is its location. Other than that its almost the worst I'v ever had the displeasure of staying at. The room was adequate but not clean and there was an almost constant smell of sewage in the shower room. There were no coffee or tea making facilities in the room and if you wanted use of the fridge you had to pay a hire charge.
It seems as though there has been constant building work going on at this hotel for a number of seasons, which puts the pool out o action.
The Alexandra is more of a hostel than hotel an is full of unsupervised, rude, very loud, extremely ignorant teenagers (students), that love to run amok throughout the night. We got very little sleep for the entire stay.
We were receiving constant idiot calls on the rooms internal phone, which it turned out was a favorite late night pastime of the ignorant kids we shared the HOSTEL with. When we complained to the receptionist we were told that they were aware of the problem but could do very little about it and suggested we pull the phones plug out of the wall for our stay.
The whole place was tired looking, the sofas in the bar area were filthy and it was impossible to get a drink of any kind between 10am and 6pm, and even then you would have to ask at reception to get any service at the bar. The staff throughout were at best unfriendly at worst rude and unhelpful.
All in all we would not use this hotel again and in fact having been to Malta twice now would not go back. Its a not so clean, noisy place that suffers with a real problem in regards to street violence, the like of which we have never witnessed anywhere else, and we are well traveled.
The area around the hotel is full of night clubs, music bars and gentlemen only clubs, which is a pretty good indication of the sort of holiday you are going have.

Room Tip: Stay as close to the ground floor as poss, as it was almost impossible get the lift at certain times...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mgplowman

Travellers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We chose the hotel since it was very close to the dive center we went diving with and it was quite cheap.
Room was basic, but clean (was cleaned every day, we got new towels every day), breakfast was nothing special, but ok. Staff was helpful when asked. They are currently renovating, but that did not disturb.
The rooms are not very soundproofed - no problem if you're not living close to a bunch of students that like to party at 4:00 in the night.

Hint to the hotel: put up a sign saying
"Dear guest, with respect to other guest we request you to be quiet between 23:00 and 6:00!"

Hotel is quite close to everything with good buss connections to wherever on Malta you'd like to travel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnhuKo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

After reading all the reviews I couldn't wait to get here.

I went to the receptionist who told me I had to leave a £30 deposit which I did. She then told me I couldn't check in until 1 or was it 2pm? When i eventually got my keys i wasnt given any instructions or even a map. When i did ask a question i felt like a burden to them. You have to pay for the Internet 3 euro for 90 minutes, 6 euros for 24 hours, etc. the TV channels are all in Maltenese apart from BBC world news.

I ordered a cooked breakfast (which you have to pay for) which was covered in black bits. I enquired about it and they said it was off the frying pan. I said I couldn't eat it and they made me another which had less bits but still came out polka dot, even the beans lol. I couldn't eat it but it showed me the hygiene standards of the hotel.

I got a tour bus which left me up the road and round the corner it took me about 45 minutes to find the hotel. On a positive the room was clean.

You can get much better for your money.

Room Tip: I wanted to change rooms because the student travellers shout over the balcony and was told it would...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ann-Marie L
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Alexandra Hotel in late February and had a very good experience. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. We managed to stay here at a very good price and can honestly say we were more than happy. The position of the hotel in Paceville was very central and with the great bus service we were able to visit lots of places around the island.
Our room was very clean and had a balconey overlooking the sea as we were on the 6th floor. Hotel lifts all worked and reception desk was always more than helpful.
If you are looking for a value for money hotel in a great location you would be hard pushed to get better.
Recommended.