“Great location, good value and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexandra Hotel Malta

Alexandra Hotel Malta
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Great location, good value and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed here as part of a youth rugby tour. We asked for cheap and central, and got what we wanted. Although the décor might be a bit dated, the rooms and communal areas were always clean.
Location is excellent, a short walk into the lively bit of St Juliens, and in the other direction a couple of minutes from some fine restaurants and bars around Spinola bay.
Local bus to Valletta was 4 Euro return.
Hotel staff were very friendly and knowledgable, and the bar was open 20 hours a day .. result!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrewontour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Just back from 5 nights at Hotel Alexandra which I found to be just about acceptable for the price in popular St Julians (around £50 a night for twin room sole use inc breakfast – July 2013).
The hotel is in a quiet side-street but only a short walk to the clubs, restaurants and ‘beach’.
The first few nights were spent in a basic room facing the shaft or centre of the hotel. The corridors are long here and the doors rattle. There was a black hair on the sheet when I turned the bed back. Clean bathroom but just a dribble from the shower. Very little fresh air circulating. Air-con making no difference as controlled remotely by the hotel and never got cooler than 20 degrees.
I later changed rooms (due to noise from nearby room at 4.30am) and found myself in what was obviously a more modern part of the hotel, facing out, with a sea view. Here the doors fitted, fresh air filled the room and the shower worked properly.
The hotel lists numerous options on its room rate menu so I would suggest fine-tuning to avoid the older rooms.
Breakfast is very basic. No hot food. Awful instant tea, not much choice in cereals, some pink meat and rubbery cheese if that’s your style plus cakes and toast. All this is presided over by a joyless head waiter.
The building work seems to be finished and the roof now boasts bright new pool (see picture).
Overall I would say that Hotel Alexandra just about gets the thumbs-up on location and price.

Room Tip: Avoid the older part of the hotel - and bring your own teabags!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John Beasley
Wales U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed in two rooms at the Alexandra in May this year (2013). The reception desk staff - Romina & Chris were so good that I feel guilty criticizing anything about the place!

The hotel location is excellent since it is close to all the shops. It is 3 - 4 mins. walk from a small rocky seafront and 10 mins. walk from the nice beach of St. Georges. I thought to mention that because I had read that there were no beaches around the area! St. Georges beach is literally touching the Paceville area where the streets at night are full of life for the teenagers and twenty-somethings.

One thing to note is that everything, hotels etc. are much closer together than they appear on the maps we looked at before we booked. You can walk from the Alexandra to loads of places around the area. We booked two bus trips with City Sightseeing but be warned - if you don't start early you will not have time to do as much as they will say you can. There are green, red and blue line trips but we only had time to do one a day, I think the other bus company did a better deal.

The breakfasts were continental, hardly ever varied and nothing to write home about, but you can order an English cooked breakfast for about 3 to 5 euros. The breakfast room, the Hotel bar and the reception foyer were always clean and pleasant and the staff there were all very helpful and friendly.

The bedrooms are all much of a likeness (I took time to explore!) and recommend the 4th, 5th and top floors for balcony views. We were however, very disappointed with the bed linen. Every day the beds would be made up but we couldn't really see how clean the sheets were because they were never ironed, they were always creased even before first use. Worse still the sheet covering the mattress was too small and pulled up with every twist of the body! this was the case with all four beds our family had. We ended up buying and fitting our own pillow cases just to FEEL clean. Generally speaking the hotel was clean and tidy it was just a pity about the beds.

Another disappointment was that with renovation going on (which didn't disturb us so no complaints), there was no swimming pool that could be used! So double check if it is finished before you go if this is important to you.

Overall I feel that having explored the island, St. Julians has to one of the best places to stay and the Alexandra is a reasonable place for price and accommodation. We couldn't thank The reception staff enough for their help when my mother lost her purse and again when we needed to hire a wheelchair, and then when a boat trip company left us stranded we phoned the hotel and Romina arranged for a taxi to come and get us, they just can't be faulted.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better sea views. With Paceville being so near you could check whether or not th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank O'Malleyboy
D18
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I had a sneaking suspicion upon arrival that all was not well at the alexander. Our booking had been mislaid (second time this happened in two years) but the very helpful gentleman in reception soon rectified the matter and we were ready to settle into a relaxing stay. Our room had recently been refurbished and we were both inpressed by the decor, bathroom, layout and unmistakable smell of newly painted varnish. All the staff we encountered were more than helpful and pleasant. Our room was cleaned every day and the receptionist knew me by name which was a nice touch.

Here's where the plesantaries ended.
The drilling started at 8am daily. I don't mean just a little DIY I mean I thought the workmen were trying to come through the wall. This may have been a welcome sound for a Chilean miner but not the most favourable audio assault you wish to hear at 8am. Nevermind, I thought, we'll hit the pool for a swim. Unfortunately both pools were out of action. I don't mind shutting one pool during high season to enable refurbishment but shutting down both pools was insane. It was really embarrassing trying to explaining to my other half that both pools were off limits. Upon further inspection this was mentioned on the hotel site but none of the third party sites.

So back to the drilling. On the second last day of our stay we arrived in the afternoon to find a sizable mound of debris outside our door. The workers looked at us in contempt as we tried to squeeze pass them to gain access to our room. Why can't this work be completed during low season. I also thought it strange that the hotel would not section off specific corridors to refurbish at a time to avoid any disruption. I don't think it an unreasonable request to begin any heavy drilling work after noon. This is not a concentration camp after all. Please employ a project manager to oversee the refurb. It's been going on for a few years now..

I've stayed here before and expected to get what I paid for in respect of location versus comfort.

Room Tip: Sixth floor for early risers!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank BaronCotter

Travellers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here for a Rugby tournament so i did not book it but it was horrible. The rooms are very small and crammed and the bathroom was dirty and poorly lit. To be expected for paying only 240 Euro for 3 nights stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! The only good thing was the price but there are very nice hotels in the area that aren't much more so save a little more and try staying at a nicer one.

It is located by the main attractions in Paceville and the beach is about a 5 minute walk away. Like i said, you can save a little more money and stay at the nicer hotels on the beach. Don't go here!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, try and get the renovated rooms on the new wing. The other rooms are horribl...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Adam J
JulianneSt_Julains, Manager at Alexandra Hotel Malta, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Unfortunately there wasn't exact information in which room Mr. Adam was staying. According to our hotel system Mr. Adam was staying in room 621, a room on the sixth floor which was refurbished two years ago. A photo of this room and of the bathroom can be seen in our professional photos. (Room 621 is the room with blue furnishings).

Cleaning of the room is done daily including changing of towels and changing of linen every two days. If the cleaning and room standard was not up to Mr. Adams expectations we would have been pleased to help Mr. Adam if he brought this to our attention whilst he was still at the Hotel.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

My son and I have just stayed in this hotel after being double-booked in another so-called hotel. On arrival at the Alexandra we were treated with care and attention and the staff went out of their way to get us a room quickly and ensure that our bad experience did not affect the rest of our holiday. My son in particular was upset and they treated him like one of their own, as do all Maltese people.

I cannot thank Roma and Chris enough for accommodating us at such short notice and making us feel welcome. A nice room after a night-flight is a god-send. We were given a family room and it was thoroughly cleaned every day and fresh towels supplied.

This hotel is excellent value for money, the staff are caring and courteous and I will definitely will be staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kenny H
St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for two weeks in April 2013. April considered as shoulder season in Malta, but if you are ready for groups of eroupean teenagers who are coming to study english - this is hotel for you. They were screaming almost 24 hrs a day, and group leaders and staff couldn't do anything with them. They occupied all areas in the hotel so sometimes it was impossible to reach the reception even to leave a key. Sometimes it was impossible to get breakfast as there was no free table in the restaurant.
I arrived at midday, but room was ready so I checked-in immediately. Deposit in amount of 30 Eu per person for the whole duration of stay is obligatory. I was really surprised as I didn't expect it so be ready. They will give it to you back in the end of your stay if everything is fine.
I was travelling alone, but got twin room for single use. Room was spacious, but amenities didn't refresh. Cleaning was good, towels were changed every day. My room had a balcony with chapel view.
Breakfast was one of the worst I've ever seen. Bread, bread, bread and nothing more. In the end of the first week I stopped to get breakfast in the hotel and took it out.
Internet is payable, 30 Eu per 5 days, but I had a lot of good neighbors with free wi-fi, so I didn't pay anything :)
Swimming pool was closed for the renovation during my stay.
All in all, hotel is good, but they have to change the segment of market. If I knew the hotel will be full of teenagers - I would never go there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo