“Closed”

Kuya Asian Pub
Reserve a table
Ranked #15 of 315 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Price range: US$5 - US$11
Description: **This place is temporarily closed.** We are a relaxed Asian street food & Craft Beer
Reviewed 3 September 2019 via mobile

Made reservation on line - confirmed via email.... walk up to the place to find the shutters down. Not happy.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (556)

Reviewed 20 August 2019 via mobile

A place is really small, maybe 8,9 tables and a few chairs at a bar, so it’s maybe good to make a reservation before going. Food was delicious, service was so-so, but it was really crowded so I understand that the waitress couldn’t take as much time as if would be just us and 3 more tables. They offer a variety of foods, also vegetarian and vegan, the tofu-curry i had, was great, portion was pretty big. Prices were a bit higher than I thought, but still not too much. If you are a fan of Asian food, Kuya is a must if you are in St. Julians.

Reviewed 6 August 2019

Had a great meal at Kuya. Had the dum sim for starter and then the crispy noodles afterwards. They were both excellent.

I am writing regarding the attitude of the staff on Saturday the 27th evening when I took a strange turn and passed out. My husband and friend said that the attitude was disgusting. As if we were trying to get away with not paying our bill etc. Especially when my friend asked if there was any fish sauce used. This is my fault, as I recently got told I had an allergy and not used to saying. I do not like fish, so it has never really been an issue. I was at fault and accept that. But I DID not order a fish dish. But to be treated so badly and the way they said about an ambulance was not very customer friendly at all.

I am actually a trained chef, and i know that Nam Pla is used in most dishes. So, to deny you use it, was not on as we were not accusing you. She was just trying to find out what happened to me.

So, my complaint is the staff, not the food, which was delicious and we PAID for at the time when she asked about the fish sauce as she said the whole attitude was as if we were pulling a stunt and trying to get away with not paying our bill.

No courtesy really after the event to see if I was ok or anything. I was treated like an embarrassment in your establishment and it really annoyed me to be treated this way.

Customer service SHOULD be important to you, and you DON'T treat a customer this way.

I ended up in the hospital on the Monday after waking with swollen lips and a rash. The diagnosis was Mild Anaphylaxis. If I had been told that they DID use a fish sauce, I would have got treated sooner. I have a condition called Mastocytosis and I have to avoid triggers. I would have been fine if I knew what I was up against and taken steps to protect myself

I checked the website and there are NO mentions of allergens for any fish products, which there should be.

I am disappointed as I loved the food, but the fear of another reaction and the fact the staff treated us terribly puts us all off.

Reviewed 4 August 2019 via mobile

Kuya is always a very good experience. Food is always great. Just good value for money all round.
Keep up the good work.

1  Thank 648karlc
Reviewed 27 July 2019

We were recommended Kuyu by friends and were delighted, eventually eating there twice during our week's stay in Malta. The service was excellent while the food was both fantastic and reasonably priced. We booked a table online both times which in busy periods is essential as the restaurant only has about 12 tables and we saw people being regularly turned away.

1  Thank Chris_128P