“Fantastic family meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Piccolo Padre Pizzeria

Piccolo Padre Pizzeria
Ranked #35 of 301 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Price range: US$16 - US$27
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, View, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: For over 21 years the tastefully converted 18th century Maltese villa has played host to over 12000 celebrations and special evenings while enjoying enchanting views of Balluta and Spinola bay Piccolo Padre is renowned for its quality and consistency.
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic family meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

A gem of a restaurant by the sea with stunning views and very delicious food. The service was really great and particularly good selection in the menu. The pizzas were so deliciously cooked and pasta dishes very tasty! Try and get a table outside on the terrace for the best views, however the restaurant is nice and intimate also inside.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Despicable Service yet Lovely Balcony”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived at this restaurant quite late - roughly 30 minutes before they stopped accepting guests. We were a group of 8 and were seated quite fast. They led us to two tables that were behind each other. Each table had room for four persons. This was not ideal and it would have been nice if we were stated that, instead of being told we had a table for 8 people. We had no problem and sat down at the table. We just wanted to eat. Before our drinks order was taken two groups of 6 and 8 left the restaurant. We asked the manager if we could move to the 8 person table. His response was, "Hurry up and order. The kitchen is closing." He then walks off . . .

We were dumbfounded. When we called him back to tell him this is not a way to speak to customers. His response was defensive. We spoke very kindly and told him that we didn't appreciate being snapped at over a simple question. He stated we were lucky that he accepted us. We never received a proper apology.

Now onto the food. I ordered a Tomato and Mozzarella salad. The cheese was soggy and quickly turned to mush. The other issues with the food were that my father, who was the one who spoke to the manager about our previous service issue, received Mcdonalds-like French fries with his meal while every one else received fresh cut potato wedges. This was very petty. The calamari was bland and very chewy. The server warned against the rabbit saying, "I wouldn't order it." If you do go here, stay away from the rabbit.

Finally, when we lighted up a cigarette a disgruntled waitress shouted "No!" And shook her finger at us. Every other restaurant allowed for smoking on the patio so we were under the impression we could smoke here. Our mistake. BUT zero for guest service.

There are many other restaurants with greater food and service. It is a shame because it has a great ambiance ruined by bad attitudes.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Pete11224
WGC_Group_Director, Manager at Piccolo Padre Pizzeria, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Our interpretation of facts.

On Sunday, the 20th July, at around 23:20pm five minutes after putting up the closed sign 8 people walked in. We accepted them since all chefs were still there. I asked the first person I came in contact with if two tables on the balcony next to each other will be fine for them, and he replied "yes sure not a problem".

Soon after being seated they asked the server on that section if it was possible to join another two tables, he explained that it would block the passage, they asked me the same question a few minutes later I explained to them that it would block the passage to reach the other clients.

They asked if they could sit on another two tables without joining the tables and leave the passage available for us so they can communicate better between them, I told them that's not a problem, and I asked them to place their orders until I set up the other two tables because it was past closing time for the kitchen (please note they never moved on the other two tables).

I was called to the table and was told that I was arrogant with his sons. I explained to them that I just wanted them to place their orders because we were already closed before they came in. I may have rushed them slightly into taking the order but I am sure that I was not rude or arrogant with them, so I don't think that there was a need for an apology at the time.

Few minutes later a very nice table on the same balcony was available for 8 pax and I personally went to ask them if they wanted to move on that table and their reply was “no we are fine here”.

With regards to the food, the server was asked about the Rabbit stew, and he gave them his opinion, and told them it is better to opt for something else if they were not sure about the rabbit. Soon after the food was served the server asked everyone if all dishes were fine (as is the norm) and their reply was ok and no one complained about the food.

A very good tip was left and on their way out and I happened to be in the corridor and thanked each and every one of them.

Johann Spiteri – Restaurant Manager
Dundee, United Kingdom
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We returned to this restaurant on this visit to Malta, as it had been our favourite on our last visit. We weren't disappointed. Whole new menu, but standards as high as ever. We ended up eating here 3 nights out of our 7 night holiday, and agreed it was undoubtedly the best food we had whilst in Malta.

The surroundings are charming inside and extremely scenic if you are lucky enough to get a table on the outside terrace. Portions are very generous. Swordfish was out of this world. On our last night we shared a seafood platter - just gorgeous.

Well done to the owners. Standards have been consistently high over the three year period we have been visiting.

Esbjerg, Denmark
“we loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We went for the pizza which was really good. we regret that this was the day we choose to have pizza because we would have loved to try the nice food we saw at the other tables...we will back to get them.we racommend this place for the food, the atmosphere, the staff and the view of the bay. Great place to have dinner!

1 Thank tathopaj
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“super food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

keep up the good work in the kitchen. have been to this restaurant 3 times in the past few months. piza and pasta are great. maybe service can improve a little with an extra waiter or 2..

• Visited May 2014