The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa
Tallow Beach Motel(Suffolk Park)(Great Value!)
US$118
  • Pool
Byron Sunseeker Motel Byron Bay(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$111
Agoda.com
Cape Byron Retreat(Skinners Shoot)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$172
Agoda.com
The Lord Byron(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$174
Atlantic Byron Bay(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$242
US$224
US$116
US$105
  • Pool
The Park Hotel Motel(Suffolk Park)
Hotels.com
1,195 results
All reviewsbeautiful rainforestgolf buggyenclosed balconiesbuffet breakfastcomplimentary yogastainless steeldeluxe suitewasher dryerpool areatallows beachmain buildingnearby beachsmall kitchenresort sparelaxing breakguest relationsminute drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My wife and I stayed in one of the deluxe spa suites for 8 nights. The room was very spacious and well appointed but I think they should make a section of the resort children free. I have, and had no problems with children in the public areas - pool, restaurant etc but young babies and children crying and having very loud fights with their parents right next door or above our room do not mix with a couples luxury holiday which is what we were after. The deluxe spa rooms are quite expensive and I think it would be a great selling feature if several buildings were designated adults only.

Your room has 2 outdoor room areas which were a little disappointing as they were fully enclosed with stiff wire mesh. Now I understand many people wouldn't like the lizards and other creatures to get into your room but a fully outdoor deck would be nice to appreciate being right in the rain forest.

Also the spa in the room is not really large enough for 2 people (I had a larger one in our previous house) but was a great size for one person.

The swimming pool was fantastic - it was mildly heated even though it was Summer and this made it just fantastic and really enjoyable. Even though the resort was full we were always able to find loungers to use and everyone was friendly. The pool side service from staff was also great. It is a nice touch that they provide free sunscreen and pool towels.

From Sunday to Thursday inclusive there is a happy hour from 4:30pm to 6:00pm. This was much enjoyed but it could be improved by offering a wider selection of drinks or rotating the menu so that it is not the same every day.

Breakfast at the restaurant was fantastic - there was a huge selection of food - both cold and hot. I loved the muesli and Danish choices. It was really a great value.

I do think the menu for lunch and room service and poolside/verandah was a little limited. Again it would be good to have more choices or rotating the menu. A lot of other guests we spoke to were there for a week and it would be good if the menu changed over that time.

The dinner menu in the restaurant could be improved. The prices are quite expensive for the food eg $10 for bread and butter. Really at a facility of this price and standard then bread and butter should be provided free of charge. One night we also had pork belly from the specials menu as a main course and it was just an entrée size. The entrees were also a small size for the price - eg crab cakes were $22 and there were only 2 small cakes. I really do think the food was overpriced.

The wine on the other hand was a mixed bag. Sparkling wine and French champagne was extraordinarily expensive and small sized (100ml glasses) whereas red and white was good prices with really generous pour sizes.

The waiters and staff though, at both the restaurant and throughout the resort were terrific - their service was great and they were always friendly and willing to help out if required.

I also had my guide dog with me and the resort and their management and staff are to be congratulated. They made us feel very welcome and Charlie had a wonderful holiday as well. It was a change from some places to be fully welcomed with my guide dog and treated equally and really respectfully. Many thanks.

We would certainly holiday there again but would appreciate our constructive suggestions being considered. It was a great holiday and we are just pointing out these things to have it made even better next time.

The other small matter at checkout time was that we were informed that there was a 1.8% surcharge on all credit cards. At the high prices charged by the resort I just don't believe a credit card surcharge is justified. It just leaves the guest feeling unhappy and is a quite small amount really.

I look forward to another stay in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaleReardon
John P, General Manager at The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Hi Dale and Charlie,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor comments and we love it when constructive comments are made. If I may take a few moments to answer your points in order.

School holidays are usually busy for us with families and in general terms, unless a resort is designated "child free", it is probably not the best time to visit. As a consequence I will re-think our policy on families with children and allocate a section of our area where families are contained in one area. I know from my industry colleagues that similar issues occur at holiday time and it is very hard to keep all guests happy, although it is our aim. Some children are very well behaved, others not so and much of teh burden should be accepted by the parents.

The development approval for the resort was conditional on the CrimSafe wire mesh being installed for two main reasons....1) being in a rainforest, insects and animals have a habit of finding a way into one's living area and 2) possibility of bush fire. To build the resort, we needed to comply with these and many more conditions.

Our menus change seasonally but in addition to the menus, 2-3 chef's suggestions are added daily to provide variety to longer staying guests. As the majority of guests are by the pool at lunchtime, we have discovered over the years, that the simpler items like burgers, fish and chips, pasta dishes, sandwiches are the most sought after. As the cooler months approach, the menu becomes more conservative to suit, special occasions and business leaders who dine regularly. It is the time of the year that you visited that life takes on different feel and it appears to be successful overall as the demand outweighed the supply for nearly 7 weeks.

It is extraordinarily hard to keep everyone happy 100% of the time but I can assure you, we do our best. All the staff are recognized for their friendliness and on meany occasions they often pass comments to me about our guests and how charming and courteous they are. You, Jo and Charlie featured strongly. Much like TripAdvisor, we too make daily assessments on ourselves to improve and take on board valid comments that our discerning guests pass on to us.

Warmest wishes from us all here at the Resort and hopefully you will travel north from Tasmania again in the near future. John Parche General Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I come to B@B every year - we save our pennies and stay for a week or two over peak period in the deluxa spa rooms (down the back). We drink there, eat there, spa there as well - so needless to say we spend a small fortune (for us anyway - may be small change for others!)

We love the Byron region and we have been madly in love with Byron @ Byron. Hence our return visits. I notice in one of the newsletters in the rooms they have 52% repeat visits.

I am conflicted in writing this because we madly love this place and will continue to come back. There is nothing else like it on the East Coast of Australia to our knowledge. And I expect that is why it gets such high reviews.

The resort is amazing - beautiful huge well equipped rooms (serviced apartments really), amazing pool and poolside deck, spread out over 45 acres of rainforest, far enough away from the horror of BB over NYE but close enough to drive in and around Byron to eat at the many beautiful restaurants and great experiences and beauty the area has to offer etc.

I am conflicted because like a few comments that are starting to crop up the resort is at risk of becoming tired. It isnt at the moment but I can see it will be if they dont invest in their rooms soon. For $600 per night over peak period (we stayed close to two weeks) we still had the best time but the rooms are starting (just starting to - they are still beautiful) to show signs of wear and tear - some pink mold in bathroom, problems with water temperature and toilet flushing, marks on coffee tables etc. This is not much and totally would not stop us staying again. I note the resort has really invested in 2013 in updating the pool deck etc - my suggestion would be next to think about the rooms. I dont think they require much.

I do think for $600 a night (I know this is the most expensive period) that the products should be better than basic nesface blend 43, cheap tea, woolies cleaning products etc - at other hotels far less than this (we stayed at Hotel Hotel in Canberra and Crown Towers over same period - much cheaper rates) that are five star offer higher end products that make you feel a bit special. I know Byron at Byron is not the same as a corporate style hotel but I think this still applies for that touch of luxury which I am sure the B@B is still trying to instil.

Last year (2012/13) when we came we received a personalised card welcoming us back with some gifts and also a few days later on our anniversay a card and bottle of wine. This year, while one should never expect anything, you do compare previous years, we got a small note welcoming us to the resort (no mention of repeat visits) and much smaller gift and no note etc on our anniversary.

We had some bad service on night one from a waitress when ordering drings but this is totally individual. The one thing that Byron at Byron is absolute stand out on is their customer service. They make you feel like part of the family and take a personal interest in you. We love Cee Cee (cant commit to calling her Carola sorry!!) who did some amazing things for us at the end of our trip when our flight home was cancelled and we had to stay another night and met the head chef who was wonderful and other restaurant staff and cleaning staff who were all amazing and so friendly and could not do enough to help you.

One small note of feedback - need to change the current newsletters in the room which say happy hour is till 7pm - hence our poor service on night one when we were sterly corrected that happy hour ended well before 7 (among other things)

Also love that they have now got free WiFi - thank you! IPod or IPhone docking stating would also be cool....

So my summary is that B@B is amazing and I continue to recommend it - we just didnt love it quite as much as previous stays. I would recommend staying when rate isnt so high so you feel you are getting better value for money.

Room Tip: Upstairs for added privacy, but downstairs if you need ease of access Down the back near the beach for added privacy, near the front of resort if with kids want to be closer to resort amenities (near beach is 5-7 minute walk back to main part of hotel, on uncovered boardwalk)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura0576
John P, General Manager at The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Laura 0576,

We want you to return and take your TripAdvisor points in the right spirit. If I may provide a brief background on our upgrade and refurbishment program, it will hopefully show that this is an ongoing exercise, much like painting the Harbour Bridge. In the past 12 months we have renewed 750 meters of boardwalk, an absolute necessity based on safety, renewed the whole swimming pool deck which took the pool out of operation for 3 weeks. In addition, verandah soft furnishings have been renewed and just before Christmas the restaurant tables and chairs have all been replaced. Our rooms commenced an upgrade program just before Christmas and will continue into 2014 until completed. We are aware that after 9 years a preventative program has to be undertaken to maintain a high standard and this also includes accommodation. Ideally, closure of the resort for 6 weeks in the winter months when occupancy drops would see all major works be undertaken in one hit but unfortunately, this is not possible. The coming weeks will see beds, dining tables and bathtubs being replaced, the resort external accommodation walls will be repainted and new artwork within the bedrooms renewed. From the above, you can see that the resort has not been neglected nor would I allow it to happen. It is just an ongoing exercise and somethings take priority over others.

I will follow up with our Guest Relations Dept regarding your welcome back card and congratulating you on your anniversary. Not sure why this happened as your guest history is up to date and presume it was nothing more than a genuine oversight. We'll make it up next time.

Relating to your comment about a waitress, all our staff wear name badges and it is very hard to retrace footsteps of an occurrence that took place back in December without you knowing her name. If you can recall, I will happily investigate.

Your TripAdvisor letter and my response will be entered into your guest history so it will warn us when you next book of the concerns relating to your recent visit.

Warmest regards and thank you for pointing out your concerns. It all helps us to continually improve our operation. John Parche General Manager

Reviewed 6 January 2014

When visiting Australia from the US, we stayed at the Byron in October- we loved it!

Location: close to the main part of downtown, but blessedly not in the thick of it. If you have a car, it's a blink of an eye away. We also biked in on the beach cruisers they provide, and one night we walked back from the main town. Took about 25-30 minutes. We rent running on the Lighthouse trail and the beach a few times. Also close to so much- we stayed about a week and rented a car, explored the nearby towns, went hiking in many different areas, and basically enjoyed all of our time in this beautiful part of the country. It was nice to come home to a hotel that felt more like an apartment.

Room: modern clean rooms, screened porches, comfortable beds. Washer and dryer in room, which was awesome for how much outdoors stuff we were doing. Small fridge and kitchen area, cozy living room to hang out in, and wifi. Feels like an apartment, not a hotel. What more could you ask for? Could hear noise from surrounding buildings- other screened porches and open doors mean other ambient noises around- but we didn't really mind, slept with the door open (screen closed) most of the nights. On the plus side: you can also hear the creature sounds from the forest- soothing if you like that.

Staff: super friendly staff, very helpful aways.

Food: We ate on property quite a few times- love the fish and chips and the quinoa salad. Very healthy options here, and good tea. Appreciate a good tea! There are options in town to eat but the food at the resort is great.

Grounds: beautiful meandering paths through rainforest, and proximity to wild windy beaches. Pool, restaurant, lodge/reception all in front, away from lodgings. Can feel a bit... observed... in the pool, since the restaurant, check in, and gym are within view.

Conclusion: if staying in Byron Bay, this is a great place. Would love to come again!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms make you feel like you're in the trees when you sit on the screened porches
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xstala
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights between Christmas and New Year and we had a fantastic time. Although the place appeared to be all booked out, you couldn't tell because it was fairly quiet throughout the whole place. We stayed in a Standard Suite in the Bangalow area and the whole room was very spacious.

During the day, we would venture out into town and then come back mid-afternoon just to chill out at the pool. The pool was clean and so refreshing. It was great that you could order food and drinks while you sat poolside. On the days we were there, I also saw the Hotel Manager speaking to a few people around the pool which was nice.

We dined at The Byron Restaurant which was very nice. They had a good selection of food and drinks and the food was cooked to perfection.

On other nights, we would eat in the town and come back to the resort just to have some drinks on the side of the restaurant.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place for a family or couple or small group of friends. The service is excellent and the resort is amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of January 2014 and had a lovely time. The setting is gorgeous - surrounded by rainforest and adjacent to a lovely sandy beach. From the moment we checked in the service was excellent (with the exception of the first night in the restaurant), our room was spacious/excellently appointed and the food was great. We were a bit put off by the realisation that being in the bush means that you are at risk of bumping into the odd snake or two but we were more alarmed by this than was necessary.

Despite only staying for 3 nights we left feeling very relaxed and would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Byron Bay.

As a side note, we ventured into Byron Bay itself one evening and would be inclined to recommend to anyone else not doing so unless you have a cast iron guarantee that you are going to a nice restaurant. If you don't, you are at risk of finding yourself amidst a twenty-something surfer dude/gal fest.... Not much fun unless that's your thing!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple