“Dry food, poor service, not worth the money”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was at the Macdonald Crutherland House for a Christmas party night and it was one of the worst meals I have every had!!

Turkey was dry, so dry it the ends were uneatable, the potato were also dry though not to the same level as the turkey, brussels sprouts were over cooked and the parsnip was still raw!!! The Carrot and coriander soup was watery carrot. The only good thing about the meal was the sticky toffee pudding.

To make matters worse the service was atrocious, when we eventually were allowed in to site down the food was virtually thrown in front of us - not what I call service.

For that amount that we payed for this party night i would have at least expected edible food!

I would not recommend going to this venue, i had at one point considered one of your venues for a large function, on the basis of this it most certainly will not be happening.

As a company we have traveled to a number of hotels for our Christmas nights out, this was the worst by far, and it is meant to be a 2AA rosette restaurant (fair enough i was on a party night but i still expect a certain standard).

Finally, I was going to try and complain privately to the company direct but they do not allow you to email them direct with complaints. So next best thing... Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Avoid, don't go to any MacDonald hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jyl_yng
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Jyl_yng

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the hotel for a Festive Party Night.

We have not, to date, received any adverse comments regarding our Festive Menu and I am not aware of any of our nights running later than our advertised start time. Had you brought this to our attention on the evening we would have been able to resolve it for you at the time.

In terms of direct feedback you can, via our website, under contact us, give feedback to our customer services department or alternatively contact the hotel directly.

I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I may have the opportunity to discuss your points further.

Eileen Newman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,488)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was our second stay at the Crutherland. We stayed in room 102 which was modern, spacious and very well decorated but without a view of the hotel grounds.

We had a very nice meal in the restaurant which was a little quiet due to most of the rooms being occupied by people at a wedding or Christmas function. The menu covered all the normal choices and food was very nice, the waiting staff were very attentive and looked after us well.

We'd a couple drinks in the cocktail bar after which was again quiet but very relaxing. Again the staff were friendly and attentive.

The one area where the hotel could improve was the maintenance of their leisure facilities, one off the sauna showers had lost it's handle and was on the whole time we were there and the sauna benches needed some attention.

Overall we had an enjoyable and very relaxing stay and look forward to returning.

P.S. If you are going to use a sat nav to get to the hotel give them a call to get the correct post code as it's not the one on their web site!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ochil17

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was very pleased to read your kind comments regarding our staff, our food and your room. I have passed these on to the team here who are delighted to have been of service to you.

Please accept my apologies if there were some minor maintenance issues in the Leisure CLub during your stay. I will be sure to address these with the Maintenance Manager as a matter of urgency.

Thank you once again for your comments as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here with friends for a short break. The room was clean and although well presented, the wood in the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. The room overlooked the roof of the dining room and kitchens with only the tops of trees visible in the distance. All staff were extemely helpful, the food was excellent and far exceeded our expectation. The even numbered rooms on the first floor seem to have a much better outlook so be sure to ask when you book.
We would go back here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear cath038

I was delighted to read your postive comments regarding our food the staff,I have passed on your kind remarks to the team here at the hotel.

A small number of our rooms do overlook the restaurant roof but most either look onto the grounds at the East facing side of the hotel or at the main entrance.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I actually booked this hotel by mistake thinking that it was near the Glasgow city centre. I was turned off when I came to know that its 40 minutes drive from the city. So this hotel is ideal for weekend family getaways. The rooms are very elegant and well designed compared to Hiltons and Holiday Inns. Its traditional scottish interior design impress everybody no matter what their taste is. The interiors have a lot of real wooden finishing, so it looks very elegant. I was staying in a superior room and it was very big compared to other Macdonald hotels which I stayed. The staff are very helpful and they offer great customer service. The room service at the hotel is one of the best. But the only problem is this hotel is in a very isolated location. If you are a overseas tourist and not having a car, it will be difficult for you to get to the hotel. Overall this is great for family trips for people who have their own car. Its very luxurious and value for money and would like to come here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Baruch_Hashem613

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff to be very helpful and enjoyed your Executive room.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team here at the hotel who are delighted to have been of service to you.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Booked at the last minute as the hotel I usually use was full. Arrived at 22:30, the check in process (not the person) was a little slow but the service was very professional and friendly. David knew from the company name where I was heading and offered a wake up call/taxi for the next morning. Large room in very good condition, classic rather than modern in style. Very quiet location and comfy bed.

The lady in charge of breakfast was very good, perfect combination of professionlism/friendliness. Good cold buffet selection and a very nice plated hot breakfast.

I was checked out by David who checked me in who remembered my name/room number and offered directions to my place of work - clearly a pro delivering excellent service at the end of a long overnight shift.

Cannot comment on evening meal/drink prices. £3 charge for credit cards a little odd.

All in all a very good stay, I will defintely use the hotel again even though it's much further from where I work than the one I've used previously.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank matthewjfarrar

Dear matthewjfarrar

Many thanks for your positive review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding the service and I have passed on your remarks to the staff and David in particular.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

we liked this hotel.

it has a lovely lounge, can spend hours in there chilling out.

Bar is quite nice- barman very helpful too

NEED TO MAKE POINT ABOUT RIPOFF MACDONALD HOTEL DRINK PRICES- NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!

Breakfast very good. We were pleasantly surprised about quality of evening meal.

Staff good, helpful and friendly.

Pool is nice- is a lovely wooded area too.

Room was nice. Nice furnishings and spacey for a basic priced room

Only problem was the (very) noisy bathroom fan

We liked this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear saurusWigan

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and enjoyed our food.

In terms of our bar prices we are in line with hotels of the same four star standard in the area. Please accept my apologies if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I've just returned from a lovely day/night at this hotel.I only mark the service down due to the fact that at breakfast we were told to wait 10 mins for a table and were forgotten about and it was half an hour before we were eventually seated.They just seemed totally unorganised ,all the fruit juice containers were empty, I got the wrong breakfast but took what they brought as I was by this time starving,There were quite a few others complaining ,shame as they were trying their best,think the hotel could have done with having more staff at breakfast due to a wedding party being booked in.Our evening meal in the restaurant was lovely and the staff were very attentive.My daughter and I had an amazing massage treatment in the Spa where all the staff were very helpful and friendly.Bedroom was very comfortable and clean.Would definitely like to come back when the hotel has completed the new refurbishment of the Spa as the plans in the foyer are quite impressive.

• Stayed: November 2013
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear fee60

Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced during breakfast service, these are not indicative of our normal high standards.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and the spa treatments and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when our new spa is complete.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!