“'twas a wild and windy night...”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Preston, United Kingdom
“'twas a wild and windy night...”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stop off for the night to break a longish journey on an night when the weather was very wild. We have used the MacDonald chain of hotels before for both business and pleasure trips. We had a warm welcome from the reception desk staff and were informed of an upgrade to one of the feature rooms in the original part of the hotel. Lovely room, very comfortable even though it was blowing a hooly outside. Had evening meal in the restaurant which was spot on - though the dining room was a wee bit cold for the other-half. Food was great, service was fine - overall meal was lovely. I had chicken and backpudding terine to start, a very very good steak for main and a delightful creme brulle to finish. Good food, and I think pretty good value.
Watch out for the post code navigation if you use sat-nav to get to the hotel - we ended up at both a local golf club and a local carvery restaurant (who kindly gave us good directions on how to find the hotel).
Breakfast following morning was good but with a degree of chaos - busy time, perhaps not quite enough staff for a fast start to the day, but I was lucky to have a relaxed start. The MacDonald chain use Sornoway blackpudding for breakfast (and with the chicken terine I had the previous night) - spot on in my books, if I could only find a local supplier!
The feature rooms have character and are very comfortable, I don't know how they compare to the more modern rooms, but I'd have a feature one again.
As seems to be standard with MacDonald hotels - all the staff were great, attentive and friendy - even when (as at breakfast) pretty busy.
We will use this hotel again, even if it is slightly off the beaten track when it comes to leaving/joining the M74 motorway.

Room Tip: suspect the more modern rooms at the rear of the hotel might have less noise - but the feature rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear ASG-Preston

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your very positive comments and have passed them on to the team here who were delighted to have been of service to you.

We do take pride in our quality of food and chef will be delighted that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Eileen Newman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My family and I had xmas dinner here. Well to start with we found our own table then asked several members of staff for a wine list,after 20 mins we got got a nice bottle of red!!! We ordered white, also a glass of fresh orange and soda water, we asked for fresh orange and lemonade, waitress brought the correct drink and deposited them on the table without a word or asking if the wine was ok, was then asked what starters we wanted but didn't get a menu to choose from. After our starters we went to get our main meal which was a carvary the meats where profesionally served to us and looked great moved on to and trimmings had to stand and wait for carrots and sprouts, sausage and bacon, by this time we have had enough this had cost us £65 per person. We asked for the manager and was told we didn't have to pay for our wine. This is a 5star hotel that I will never recommend to any one the service is the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda C
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Gregg C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House for Christmas Day.

Delivering the highest standard of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak to me on the day and I assure you that your very valid comments will be taken into account in our planning of next years' event.

Thank you once again as it is only though such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

North Wales
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed there for a couple of nights just before Christmas. The room we had was lovely. We've stayed in a couple of other Macdonald Hotels, and this is fairly typical. Only problem was noise - a Christmas party was there and some of the attendees in a state of merriment stayed opposite our room. A rather angry (sorry to the guy that was on the receiving end) rant to reception and this was soon resolved.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Shadyron

Please accept my apologies that you were disturbed during your stay by other guests. I am pleased to note that we were able to resolve this issue for you.

Thank you once again and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Bewdley
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed for 3 nights on business.

Initial impression very good, although postcode listed does take you around half a mile down the road and needed to call for exact location.

Check in was smooth and staff friendly & helpful.

I had room on 1st floor near the lift so nice and easy to get to and from on each day.

Room was spacious and fairly modern but very clean.

Gym was a good size and had plenty of equipment in to do a good circuit.

Pool was a decent size and sauna and steam room were very good.

A colleague also stayed at the hotel so we chose to eat on site as there was little else to walk to closely. The food we ate in the bar, on the whole was good, however a little let down by the service, which at best was indifferent.

I left early on the Friday to get home before the usual M6 madness, however as I had paid using hotels.com the bill was settled, only leaving our meals & drinks to be cleared which my colleague had advised he would settle. When he came to reception to clear the bill he was met by an obnoxious member of staff who presented him with the bill for the full stay plus food & drink.

When my colleague advised the bill was settled and it was purely meals he became very loud announcing to the now gathering crowd of other guests that I was still in the hotel and that no payment had been made (as stated before I left at 6am so my car was no longer in the car park and my keys were in the drop box at reception).

Another guest piped up to advise that reception were always making mistakes so "stick to your guns". Luckily I had emailed a copy of our fully paid reservation to my colleague who had printed out.

When shown the receipt the attitude changed immediately, however my colleague did not feel that the initial hostility was warranted and spoilt what was an otherwise acceptable stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MattA1977
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear MattA1977

I was disappointed to read of the service your colleague received on check out and I sincerely apologise for this. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly so that I may address this fully with the team member concerned. I would be grateful if you, or your colleague would contact me directly so that I may gain a further insight into the situation.

On a positve note I was pleased that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and found your room convenient.

I look forward to hearing from you and I do hope that this isolated incident will not deter you from using the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was at the Macdonald Crutherland House for a Christmas party night and it was one of the worst meals I have every had!!

Turkey was dry, so dry it the ends were uneatable, the potato were also dry though not to the same level as the turkey, brussels sprouts were over cooked and the parsnip was still raw!!! The Carrot and coriander soup was watery carrot. The only good thing about the meal was the sticky toffee pudding.

To make matters worse the service was atrocious, when we eventually were allowed in to site down the food was virtually thrown in front of us - not what I call service.

For that amount that we payed for this party night i would have at least expected edible food!

I would not recommend going to this venue, i had at one point considered one of your venues for a large function, on the basis of this it most certainly will not be happening.

As a company we have traveled to a number of hotels for our Christmas nights out, this was the worst by far, and it is meant to be a 2AA rosette restaurant (fair enough i was on a party night but i still expect a certain standard).

Finally, I was going to try and complain privately to the company direct but they do not allow you to email them direct with complaints. So next best thing... Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Avoid, don't go to any MacDonald hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jyl_yng
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Jyl_yng

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the hotel for a Festive Party Night.

We have not, to date, received any adverse comments regarding our Festive Menu and I am not aware of any of our nights running later than our advertised start time. Had you brought this to our attention on the evening we would have been able to resolve it for you at the time.

In terms of direct feedback you can, via our website, under contact us, give feedback to our customer services department or alternatively contact the hotel directly.

I was disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so that I may have the opportunity to discuss your points further.

Larbert, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Crutherland. We stayed in room 102 which was modern, spacious and very well decorated but without a view of the hotel grounds.

We had a very nice meal in the restaurant which was a little quiet due to most of the rooms being occupied by people at a wedding or Christmas function. The menu covered all the normal choices and food was very nice, the waiting staff were very attentive and looked after us well.

We'd a couple drinks in the cocktail bar after which was again quiet but very relaxing. Again the staff were friendly and attentive.

The one area where the hotel could improve was the maintenance of their leisure facilities, one off the sauna showers had lost it's handle and was on the whole time we were there and the sauna benches needed some attention.

Overall we had an enjoyable and very relaxing stay and look forward to returning.

P.S. If you are going to use a sat nav to get to the hotel give them a call to get the correct post code as it's not the one on their web site!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ochil17

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was very pleased to read your kind comments regarding our staff, our food and your room. I have passed these on to the team here who are delighted to have been of service to you.

Please accept my apologies if there were some minor maintenance issues in the Leisure CLub during your stay. I will be sure to address these with the Maintenance Manager as a matter of urgency.

Thank you once again for your comments as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here with friends for a short break. The room was clean and although well presented, the wood in the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. The room overlooked the roof of the dining room and kitchens with only the tops of trees visible in the distance. All staff were extemely helpful, the food was excellent and far exceeded our expectation. The even numbered rooms on the first floor seem to have a much better outlook so be sure to ask when you book.
We would go back here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear cath038

I was delighted to read your postive comments regarding our food the staff,I have passed on your kind remarks to the team here at the hotel.

A small number of our rooms do overlook the restaurant roof but most either look onto the grounds at the East facing side of the hotel or at the main entrance.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Blythswood Square
#14 of 95 in Glasgow
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!