“Very Disappointing”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Sadly we found this hotel to be lacking somewhat.
On arrival we were upgraded supposedly to an executive suite which was clean and comfortable, however the room was tired and the tv didn't work remotely, possibly batteries needed changing.
The bar was shabby tired and not at all inviting. The glass table tops were thickly smeared with grease and crumbs were everywhere. We changed seats several times but not really great at all. The smell of food permeated throughout the hotel.
Breakfast was a lengthy process as we waited nearly 45mins before it arrived.When it did eventually arrive it was delicious but too long to wait in my opinion.
Although it was a great deal as we had taken the winter warmer offer, we will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear undecidedLuton

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry if this was not evident on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our usual high standards and I have discussed your very valid points with the Managers of the departments concerned.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments as it is only through such feedback we can maintain and improve our service.

I do hope that this isolated incident will not deter you from using the hotel in the future.

Eileen Newman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We attended the intimate and elegant Hogmanay function and stayed overnight. The room was a standard double room and it was fine for us, check in was 3pm swimming pool closed 4pm !! Pool didn't open until 10 am next morning and checkout was 11am!!, use the facilities they said, hubby had to sprint to get changed and get to pool after we checked in. There was also a separate Family night with DJ,magician etc (80 children were at this) which was cheaper and went onto 2am, yet our night went onto 1am and we only had a guy with an out of tune organ and a singer. Odd how the children could stay up to 2am yet the adults at the function I attended were sent to bed at 1am!? Considering the price differences how can this be justified?Bar was very expensive, but food was excellent, breakfast okay, staff friendly but pressured on more than one occasion to open an account to charge to room after repeatedly saying we would pay as we went, this was more convenient for us which I think is the priority. we would go back but would hope the hotel would reconsider charging system for their functions, and have the pool open for guests longer.

Dear lizglasgow

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel for Hogmanay.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if you feel that this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that I will take your very valid points on board inthe planning of this years program.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband whilst visiting family in East Kilbride. We had a very relaxing stay. The swimming pool was lovely and we enjoyed the sauna/steam room for a relaxing afternoon. We ate dinner one evening and it was really good service and the food was good too. Breakfast was outstanding and the service good. No complaints at all for this hotel - I would definitely stay here again if I need to be in the area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MissGeorgeLittle

Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and have passed on your kind remarks to the team who were delighted to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just returned from a great birhday weekend with friends. Hotel was excellent with great family room and excellent food. Leisure facilituies were great and all the staff very helpful.

You will enjoy the break if you use this hotel BUT watch the bar prices...£9.60 for a glass of wine. Fortunately we had brought wine with us as did our friends so quickly realised not to make use of the bar which in some respect was a shame as it had a nice setting. Also noticed that on both mornings lots of bottles were outside bedroom doors as others had also twigged the prices.

I noticed a previous comment about the bar prices and the manager had responded by stating this was the prices across all McDonalds Hotels. Can I make a suggestion that this poilcy is reviewed and the prices slashed so that quests would be encouraged to have a drink in the bar area rather than have to retreat to their rooms, nice as they are. A round of drink for 4 adults and 2 children would have been in excess of £50 !! surely this must be reviewed.

Room Tip: Bring your own drink
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank deke123

Dear deke123

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your weekend, and found our facilities and food excellent, I have also passed your remarks regarding the staff to the team.

We do believe that our prices are in line with other four star hotels in the area, however I will pass on your feedback regarding this to our Customer Services Department.

Once again thank you for your very kind comments and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stop off for the night to break a longish journey on an night when the weather was very wild. We have used the MacDonald chain of hotels before for both business and pleasure trips. We had a warm welcome from the reception desk staff and were informed of an upgrade to one of the feature rooms in the original part of the hotel. Lovely room, very comfortable even though it was blowing a hooly outside. Had evening meal in the restaurant which was spot on - though the dining room was a wee bit cold for the other-half. Food was great, service was fine - overall meal was lovely. I had chicken and backpudding terine to start, a very very good steak for main and a delightful creme brulle to finish. Good food, and I think pretty good value.
Watch out for the post code navigation if you use sat-nav to get to the hotel - we ended up at both a local golf club and a local carvery restaurant (who kindly gave us good directions on how to find the hotel).
Breakfast following morning was good but with a degree of chaos - busy time, perhaps not quite enough staff for a fast start to the day, but I was lucky to have a relaxed start. The MacDonald chain use Sornoway blackpudding for breakfast (and with the chicken terine I had the previous night) - spot on in my books, if I could only find a local supplier!
The feature rooms have character and are very comfortable, I don't know how they compare to the more modern rooms, but I'd have a feature one again.
As seems to be standard with MacDonald hotels - all the staff were great, attentive and friendy - even when (as at breakfast) pretty busy.
We will use this hotel again, even if it is slightly off the beaten track when it comes to leaving/joining the M74 motorway.

Room Tip: suspect the more modern rooms at the rear of the hotel might have less noise - but the feature rooms...

Dear ASG-Preston

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your very positive comments and have passed them on to the team here who were delighted to have been of service to you.

We do take pride in our quality of food and chef will be delighted that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My family and I had xmas dinner here. Well to start with we found our own table then asked several members of staff for a wine list,after 20 mins we got got a nice bottle of red!!! We ordered white, also a glass of fresh orange and soda water, we asked for fresh orange and lemonade, waitress brought the correct drink and deposited them on the table without a word or asking if the wine was ok, was then asked what starters we wanted but didn't get a menu to choose from. After our starters we went to get our main meal which was a carvary the meats where profesionally served to us and looked great moved on to and trimmings had to stand and wait for carrots and sprouts, sausage and bacon, by this time we have had enough this had cost us £65 per person. We asked for the manager and was told we didn't have to pay for our wine. This is a 5star hotel that I will never recommend to any one the service is the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Linda C
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Gregg C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House for Christmas Day.

Delivering the highest standard of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak to me on the day and I assure you that your very valid comments will be taken into account in our planning of next years' event.

Thank you once again as it is only though such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed there for a couple of nights just before Christmas. The room we had was lovely. We've stayed in a couple of other Macdonald Hotels, and this is fairly typical. Only problem was noise - a Christmas party was there and some of the attendees in a state of merriment stayed opposite our room. A rather angry (sorry to the guy that was on the receiving end) rant to reception and this was soon resolved.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Shadyron

Please accept my apologies that you were disturbed during your stay by other guests. I am pleased to note that we were able to resolve this issue for you.

Thank you once again and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!