Macdonald Crutherland House
Torrance Hotel(East Kilbride)
  • Restaurant
Strathaven Hotel(Strathaven)
1,511 results
All reviewsspa breaklovely groundsspa areasauna and steam roomspa staffon arrivalleisure facilitiescountry parklovely hotelrelaxing stayan overnight staybed and breakfastevening mealwedding receptionexecutive roomrestaurant stafffollowing morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had a lovely 2 night dinner, bed and breakfast break at this hotel. We stayed on a Winter Warmer Break where we had 2 nights for the price of one.
On entering the hotel we were warmly greeted by reception and allocated a room on the second floor. We were given information about the hotel and it's spa facilities.
The room was clean, comfortable and spacious with coffee/tea making facilities. WiFi was also available and free in the room.
The meals were very good but I would make a comment that there was a limited choice of dishes for myself as a non meat eater. Breakfast was excellent and plentiful with lots of fruit/yogurt/cereals as well as lovely fresh bread and pastries alongside a cooked breakfast. In the restaurant we were pleased with the friendly/professional and efficient service. I would mention one of the young gentleman in particular, Chris I believe his name to be (on his badge) who impressed us with his manner and efficiency.
The leisure facilities were great and I managed at least 4 visits to the swimming pool/sauna and steam room. The pool was open early to late, plenty of time to get some exercise!
We will certainly look out for further offers at this hotel and hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jude41045
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear jude41045

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and I have pssed on your kind remarks to the team, and in particular Chris, who were delighted to have been of service to you. I have also passed on your comments regarding the menu selection to our chef.

Once again thank you for your kind remarks and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Sadly we found this hotel to be lacking somewhat.
On arrival we were upgraded supposedly to an executive suite which was clean and comfortable, however the room was tired and the tv didn't work remotely, possibly batteries needed changing.
The bar was shabby tired and not at all inviting. The glass table tops were thickly smeared with grease and crumbs were everywhere. We changed seats several times but not really great at all. The smell of food permeated throughout the hotel.
Breakfast was a lengthy process as we waited nearly 45mins before it arrived.When it did eventually arrive it was delicious but too long to wait in my opinion.
Although it was a great deal as we had taken the winter warmer offer, we will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear undecidedLuton

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry if this was not evident on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of our usual high standards and I have discussed your very valid points with the Managers of the departments concerned.

Once again thank you for your constructive comments as it is only through such feedback we can maintain and improve our service.

I do hope that this isolated incident will not deter you from using the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We attended the intimate and elegant Hogmanay function and stayed overnight. The room was a standard double room and it was fine for us, check in was 3pm swimming pool closed 4pm !! Pool didn't open until 10 am next morning and checkout was 11am!!, use the facilities they said, hubby had to sprint to get changed and get to pool after we checked in. There was also a separate Family night with DJ,magician etc (80 children were at this) which was cheaper and went onto 2am, yet our night went onto 1am and we only had a guy with an out of tune organ and a singer. Odd how the children could stay up to 2am yet the adults at the function I attended were sent to bed at 1am!? Considering the price differences how can this be justified?Bar was very expensive, but food was excellent, breakfast okay, staff friendly but pressured on more than one occasion to open an account to charge to room after repeatedly saying we would pay as we went, this was more convenient for us which I think is the priority. we would go back but would hope the hotel would reconsider charging system for their functions, and have the pool open for guests longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear lizglasgow

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel for Hogmanay.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if you feel that this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that I will take your very valid points on board inthe planning of this years program.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband whilst visiting family in East Kilbride. We had a very relaxing stay. The swimming pool was lovely and we enjoyed the sauna/steam room for a relaxing afternoon. We ate dinner one evening and it was really good service and the food was good too. Breakfast was outstanding and the service good. No complaints at all for this hotel - I would definitely stay here again if I need to be in the area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MissGeorgeLittle

Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and have passed on your kind remarks to the team who were delighted to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just returned from a great birhday weekend with friends. Hotel was excellent with great family room and excellent food. Leisure facilituies were great and all the staff very helpful.

You will enjoy the break if you use this hotel BUT watch the bar prices...£9.60 for a glass of wine. Fortunately we had brought wine with us as did our friends so quickly realised not to make use of the bar which in some respect was a shame as it had a nice setting. Also noticed that on both mornings lots of bottles were outside bedroom doors as others had also twigged the prices.

I noticed a previous comment about the bar prices and the manager had responded by stating this was the prices across all McDonalds Hotels. Can I make a suggestion that this poilcy is reviewed and the prices slashed so that quests would be encouraged to have a drink in the bar area rather than have to retreat to their rooms, nice as they are. A round of drink for 4 adults and 2 children would have been in excess of £50 !! surely this must be reviewed.

Room Tip: Bring your own drink
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank deke123

Dear deke123

I was delighted that you enjoyed your weekend, and found our facilities and food excellent, I have also passed your remarks regarding the staff to the team.

We do believe that our prices are in line with other four star hotels in the area, however I will pass on your feedback regarding this to our Customer Services Department.

Once again thank you for your very kind comments and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.