“Nice hotel overall but glad we got it on a deal.”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
jross24
“Nice hotel overall but glad we got it on a deal.”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

On arrival at the hotel reception was fairly busy however after waiting our turn we were checked in quickly. Room was very clean and for a standard double was spacious.

We visited the leisure facilities these were clean but average in comparison for other 4* hotels we have stayed at.

The package we paid for was dinner bed and breakfast. On arrival at the restaurant we were welcomed quickly and showed to our seats. There was a nice calm atmosphere. The menu had an adequate selection for us. It was rather pricey but our dinner was included in the price. The food arrived and while tasty, the portions sizes were small and we are not big eaters. In fact when my partners main course arrived we were quite shocked at the size of the portion considering it was priced at about £22 for that dish alone. Had we been paying full price I think we would have complained. The taste was lovely however and the presentation good. We were appeased when dessert arrived as this was delightful.

Overall we had a nice stay, although dinner perhaps could have been better my fiancé was hungry again an hour later.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank jross24
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear jross24

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our food. We have a passion for food and pride ourselves in serving only the finest dishes sourced from the best ingredients. We do feel that our prices are in line with hotels in this area of a similar four star standard and we feel that we do offer good value for money. I do apologise if you feel that this was not the case.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Eileen Newman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Booked an over night stay with a deal on 5pm, my husband and I had a very relaxing and stress free stay. The food was amazing, I loved the hand cut chips in fact I had to have a bowl of them before I headed home. We had such a great stay that we have booked again for the end of this month which is mothers day and my birthday and we are taking our three children with us. Can't wait to return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julzamc
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear julzamc

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our amazing food. Our team of chefs are dedicated to producing the best dishes using only the finest ingredients freshly prepared.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later this month.

Thank you once again for your very positive comments.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Took advantage of 5pm offer this weekend and enjoyed a relaxing stay at the Crutherland Hotel. First impression of the grounds and surrounding area was favourable and in immaculate condition,Reception was most efficient and friendly, with the staff on duty being most welcoming but the area it's self was dull.
Our room was what we would expect from a McDonald hotel spotless nice furnishings, tea and coffee available,and a decent flat screen television sadly without Sky.
The Pool & Sauna were excellent and ideal to chill in and the clientele using it were also vey friendly.
Dinner was very nice and the standard of the food was good though the selection could have been more extensive.
Breakfast was first class I started with porridge which was presented in an individual dish with honey fruit and nuts and was perfect.
Full breakfast for me poached eggs for my wife, fresh orange juice bread croissants yoghurt fresh fruit all a perfect way to star the day, service was good also.
We went to Calderglen Park and enjoyed the walks along the waterside and golf course and were impressed in the way area had developed over the years we also visited the town centre for a bit of shopping.
Overall we enjoyed the stay and would return again sometime in the future
I was delighted to receive a call from the hotel informing that the staff had found a Kindle in the room which we had left behind, on our way home we picked up well done and many thanks.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank doonhame10
Dear doonhame10

I was delighted to read your very postive comments regarding our friendly reception staff, your room and our facilities.

We do pride ourselves on our quality of food using only the very best of ingredients freshly prepared by our team of chefs. I have passed on your kind remarks to chef and his team.

Thank you once again and I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Got this hotel on a Travelzoo offer.we had 3 nights b and b with 2 evening meals on an excellent deal.the hotel is set in lovely grounds and is well situated for getting out and about.the staff at reception were very helpful and service in the restaurant was very good,the food was good but not outstanding.all in all a very nice break.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jemLiverpool

Many thanks for posting a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the very best of service to all of our guests is at the heart of our core values and I was delighted to read your positive comments in relation to our helpful staff and the service in our restaurant.

I have passed your kind remarks on to the team who are happy to have been of service to you.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Booked a luxury SPA BREAK with bed/breakfast and dinner. This was to be a relaxing break for my Birthday for my sister and I. Lovely hotel friendly staff at reception. Checked in and was asked about booking table for dinner we had already done this as web site advised prior booking for dinner. Told to phone Spa from our room for treatments a 1 hour body scrub and wrap. Decided to go down and book spa whilst having a look around to be told NO SPA TREATMENTS WHERE AVAILABLE they where fully booked the day of our stay and the next day. There was no advice on the web site to pre book spa or we would have done this whilst booking table for dinner. Was offered afternoon tea or to have the treatment another day. However as the whole purpose was a SPA BREAK we declined the offer. Callum the manager was pleasant and we decided to cancel the break and asked for a full refund. This does not however compensate for the wasted time and organisation of babysitters etc. required to organise an overnight away. We both went home feeling extremely disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Angela S

Please accept my apologies that there was no availability in the spa on your day of arrival. Our web site does advise, under the spa and fitness page, to pre-book any spa treatments to avoid disappointment. However I will make sure this is also added to the spa breaks page.

On a positive note I was pleased that you found our reception staff friendly, I have passed on your kind comments to them and to Callum, our Duty Manager.

I trust that this will not deter you from using the hotel in the future and I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel using a Groupon voucher in February, and we were very impressed with the hotel and its facilities. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful throughout our stay, and the food in the restaurant was excellent (we took advantage of their dining offer, which was good value). The gym facilities were also very good (and surprisingly quiet on a Saturday afternoon). Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear ECant0na

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdoanld Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your very positve comments regarding the staff and our food. I have passed on your kind remarks to the team here who were happy to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thirsk
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This is quite a nice hotel but is a bit of a rabbit warren so quite hard to find your room. Service was good in the restaurant at dinner and the food was good though rather expensive. The house wine was way over priced.
Breakfast was not as good. The poached eggs were underdone and runny. The coffee was luke warm.
Room was good and comfortable though the shower didnt work too well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear NorthSeaNobody

We do pride ourselves in producing the finest dishes sourced from the best ingredients and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our food.

We do believe our pricing is in line with other similar hotels in the area of a four star standard and I do aplogise if you felt that this was not the case.

I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast to our chef, and I will ensure that housekeeping are checking all the showers on a daily basis.

Thank you once again for your remarks as it is only through such feedback that we can maintain and improve our service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!