“fantastic hotel”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We just spent two nights in the hotel we were attending a wedding.Staff were very helpful and caring The rooms we booked were spotless had a great sleep The wedding its self was amazing the food was of excellent quality and the service. Ive read a lot about the bar prices i didnt find them to be that expensive if your looking for a £2 pint your better of going to a local bar You get what you pay for The kids used the pool and steam room the staff were very helpful We will return for a weekend break.

Room Tip: We had two rooms didnt have a view of the gardens but i wasnt planning on sitting looking out the wi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan L
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Crutherland House

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We had a family celebration in east kilbride and it was my birthday so my husband treat me with a stay here,i have very mixed review and wish to be fair to the hotel as our stay was really mainly blighted by one particular member of staff, check in was at 2 yet our room was nt ready until 245- we are not moaners and just went and had a walk in the gorgeus grounds we came back and the room was ready so off we went wanting to have a nap after our long journey this was not goin to happen as our room was right behind the recycling bin which was used continuesly, it was very warm so shutting the windows was not an option so i rang reception and askedto move rooms(no problem) they sent a very sourfaced man who looked quite annoyed if im honest who gave me new keys - when we looked the room was only a few doors down and therefore had exactlythe same issue!!?i rang reception and explained we needed to sleep and had hardly been moved she said ok shed send someone up - ten min we stood in thecorridor noone came so welost patience and went down, i was ragin bythis time 4 clock and was met again by the unpleasant man who had the worst attitude /customer care ive ever come across - i said we had been waitin inthe corrider and he snapped at me they were tryin to sort another room out very angrily - i said we havent hada room yet since 2 and he said oh yes you have !! i replied no our room wasnt ready on check in, we went outside and he came (no apology no smile) and gave us new keys a d an upgrade (couldnt see why it was an upgrade) and left, made me feel very uncomfortable, the room was fine away from the rear of the kitchen (106)we couldnt sleep by this time as we had massages booked for 5 and more or less had to get changed and go for them,spa was lovely the girls who did our treatments were lovely and friendly, dinner was delicious except i couldnt believe it was the very same fella serving us which i really didnt want to see him again he had a very odd demeaner - i think my advice to him is go on a customer care course its not acceptable to be rude amd bad tempered in the service industry, and to remember your representing the hotel ,breakfast was just ok sausage raw, poached egg lovely i was just glad that the same fella wasnt there serving me!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlyboy88
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely hotel, we stayed in Woodlands Room, very comfy bed, everything immaculate. Restaurant and lounge bar food and service excellent apart from very fatty bacon for breakfast! Used spa and had a relaxing facial, Nicole did a great job. Claire on reception was so helpful and friendly, an asset to the company. Only gripe was that when we paid the bill we checked and saw that we had been charged for 2 nights of £40 per couple for dinner when we'd only booked the deal once. The receptionist then adjusted the bill and told us that they always charge and wait for the client to point out the error! How many people end up paying because they haven't checked the bill!

Room Tip: Woodlands room is lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hipswinger
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We paid for a bed and breakfast rate at the Crutherland House Hotel which is run by MacDonald Resorts. The room was fine, tidy, clean and fairly spacious. Nice view out onto the car park at the back of the hotel but you could see some fields in the distance. The hotel didn't appear to be overly busy so I don't quite understand how or why the service in the bar and restaurant were so slow!
We ordered a drink with dinner during our starter, we had to remind them twice to bring it to us and we finally got it after nearly finishing our main course. The dinner i have to say may have been slow to come out but the food was amazing! the only highlight of the stay was the dinner.
At breakfast, we went down at 10.20 (breakfast finishes at 10.30). We were shown to a table after waiting 3-4 mins at the podium/entrance.
Our order was taken around 10 mins after this (yes we sat like lemons waiting to be served for 10mins) but there is a continental breakfast should you get extremely hungry during your wait.
Well, we waited and we waited and we waited and finally 40 mins after ordering our cooked breakfast and me nearly exploding with rage at the wait it was served. I would love to say it was worth the wait (just like dinner) but my partner and I had one mouthful each and decided that it was fit to be thrown off a wall instead of eaten. The black pudding was cremated, the bacon was rock hard and the beans were re-heated to the same temperature as the centre of the sun and tasted burned! Breakfast was promptly left on the table whilst we went back upstairs to finish packing and vacate the room.
I did make a complaint to reception about the poor service and the girl couldn't have been more apologetic but by then the damage had been done and what should have been a romantic luxury night away turned into a waste of money. My advice would be to give it a steer unless you are very laid back and happy to receive below par service!
Oh and we were offered a complimentary upgrade next time we stay.....my response - 'we won't be back'!

Room Tip: We had a basic double room and it was lovely. Though the honeymoon suite is amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank G C
GMcrutherland, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor and thank you for replying to my email.

Our primary aim here at the Macdonald Crutherland House is to achieve and exceed our guest's expectations and am I sorry it appears that we failed on this occassion.

If you do visit the hotel again please email me on gm.crutherland@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for family birthday. Rooms very nice. Hotel clean and nicely furnished. Quirky layout, quite a few possible ways to get to some areas of the hotel - easy to get lost if you have sense of direction like me! Dinner was nice, although (in December) dining room was chilly. Food was enjoyable on the whole - breakfast plentiful and quality good apart from desert at dinner - a strange take on panacotta that i wouldn't like to savour again! Would stay here again, and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mrsmummywebb

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and i stayed at the Crutherland hotel for 2 Nights and loved everything about it, we had a small problem with our room to start with and was easily given another room with a garden view which just made our stay more comfortable, ice in our room was an added bonus

At dinner we were asked where we would like to sit which was so lovely to be asked that because my husband and i just don't like sitting in the middle of a room for dinner

I need to just say that our waiter callum was fantastic and did everything for us during our dinner plus when we wanted more bread we got it without a fuss

I would also like to thank nicola lyon for her superior customer service

We will definately be back to this lovely fantastic hotel and spa

Room Tip: We were in room 214 and had a lovely view so avoid the bottom floor if you can,
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loobyloo0350

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you were impressed with the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I will pass on your positive comments to the team, particularly those mentioned. All the staff work so hard and really appreciate when people take time to acknowledge their hard work.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Have stayed at MacDonald Hotels before but first time at this one. From stepping in the door, we were impressed. Very warm, genuine welcome, and all staff were first class. Room very comfortable, and nice to have two easy chairs as so many hotels only provide one. We were on dbb basis, and gladly paid the £5 supplement for the most delicious sirloin steak. If you like your steak rare though, watch out, as my husbands was over-cooked and had to be returned, which meant we had all finished our main meal by the time his came back. Breakfast delicious, and although no problem with supplement the night before, felt £2.75 supplement for the haddock and poached egg was a bit excessive. The grounds are lovely, and the sunshine an extra bonus. Will certainly be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the Macdonald Crutherland House.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will stay again.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be first class. I will ensure that this is passed onto the team at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!