“Could be 4/5 star with some simple improvements”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Staff at check in were really nice and quick. Loved the Shortbread touch too.

The grounds here are lovely and were decent to go for a little run as it was sunny.

Some good points:

-Huge Pool
-Nice big gym with loads of cardio equipment and weights - Although some stuff was broken and dangerous if I'm being honest
-Rooms real spacious
-Nice real iron and ironing board - no dangly wired or attached to wall fuss.

Improvements to be made
-Not one single fan in the whole hotel? The rooms were boiling and my windows screwed shut. I had to move rooms with little apologies and was not happy at all. When I complained at the desk, i got a shot "I'll let the duty manager know in the morning" - Basically, get lost - not god guys.
-Dated decor and fittings - Dark wood and floral carpets? Really? it's 2014

Would I stay again? Sorry not in a rush.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Basurq

Reviewed 29 June 2014

stayed here last night as we were going to a wedding reception nearby. the room was very spacious and we a great night's sleep due to the comfy bed and pillows. We did not have time unfortunately for dinner but we had a meal in the lounge before setting off to the wedding reception - i chose to have a burger and was told that it would take 25 mins - it was certainly worth the wait. Delicious., Surprised at the comments of previous reviews because all staff we met were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tasty, piping hot and plenty of choice. One slight downside to our stay was the journey!! We were travelling from the centre of Glasgow so it should only have taken 30 minutes. In reality it took well over an hour . We used the sat nav but the road was closed and we ended up going round in circles trying to find the hotel. If these roadworks are going on for some time a suggestion would be for the Hotel to try to put up a temporary sign pointing in the right direction. We tried to phone the hotel but others must have been doing the same as it was not answered.

Room Tip: we had a basic double room which was very quite (201)
1  Thank sandra s
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here and it was even better. Lovely rooms, quiet with everything you could want including TV speakers in the bathroom! The bed was lovely and comfy and we had a good night's sleep. The facilities are excellent with a pool and spa as well as lovely walks around the ground. I think we will be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We just spent two nights in the hotel we were attending a wedding.Staff were very helpful and caring The rooms we booked were spotless had a great sleep The wedding its self was amazing the food was of excellent quality and the service. Ive read a lot about the bar prices i didnt find them to be that expensive if your looking for a £2 pint your better of going to a local bar You get what you pay for The kids used the pool and steam room the staff were very helpful We will return for a weekend break.

Room Tip: We had two rooms didnt have a view of the gardens but i wasnt planning on sitting looking out the wi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan L
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We had a family celebration in east kilbride and it was my birthday so my husband treat me with a stay here,i have very mixed review and wish to be fair to the hotel as our stay was really mainly blighted by one particular member of staff, check in was at 2 yet our room was nt ready until 245- we are not moaners and just went and had a walk in the gorgeus grounds we came back and the room was ready so off we went wanting to have a nap after our long journey this was not goin to happen as our room was right behind the recycling bin which was used continuesly, it was very warm so shutting the windows was not an option so i rang reception and askedto move rooms(no problem) they sent a very sourfaced man who looked quite annoyed if im honest who gave me new keys - when we looked the room was only a few doors down and therefore had exactlythe same issue!!?i rang reception and explained we needed to sleep and had hardly been moved she said ok shed send someone up - ten min we stood in thecorridor noone came so welost patience and went down, i was ragin bythis time 4 clock and was met again by the unpleasant man who had the worst attitude /customer care ive ever come across - i said we had been waitin inthe corrider and he snapped at me they were tryin to sort another room out very angrily - i said we havent hada room yet since 2 and he said oh yes you have !! i replied no our room wasnt ready on check in, we went outside and he came (no apology no smile) and gave us new keys a d an upgrade (couldnt see why it was an upgrade) and left, made me feel very uncomfortable, the room was fine away from the rear of the kitchen (106)we couldnt sleep by this time as we had massages booked for 5 and more or less had to get changed and go for them,spa was lovely the girls who did our treatments were lovely and friendly, dinner was delicious except i couldnt believe it was the very same fella serving us which i really didnt want to see him again he had a very odd demeaner - i think my advice to him is go on a customer care course its not acceptable to be rude amd bad tempered in the service industry, and to remember your representing the hotel ,breakfast was just ok sausage raw, poached egg lovely i was just glad that the same fella wasnt there serving me!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charlyboy88
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Lovely hotel, we stayed in Woodlands Room, very comfy bed, everything immaculate. Restaurant and lounge bar food and service excellent apart from very fatty bacon for breakfast! Used spa and had a relaxing facial, Nicole did a great job. Claire on reception was so helpful and friendly, an asset to the company. Only gripe was that when we paid the bill we checked and saw that we had been charged for 2 nights of £40 per couple for dinner when we'd only booked the deal once. The receptionist then adjusted the bill and told us that they always charge and wait for the client to point out the error! How many people end up paying because they haven't checked the bill!

Room Tip: Woodlands room is lovely.
1  Thank hipswinger
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We paid for a bed and breakfast rate at the Crutherland House Hotel which is run by MacDonald Resorts. The room was fine, tidy, clean and fairly spacious. Nice view out onto the car park at the back of the hotel but you could see some fields in the distance. The hotel didn't appear to be overly busy so I don't quite understand how or why the service in the bar and restaurant were so slow!
We ordered a drink with dinner during our starter, we had to remind them twice to bring it to us and we finally got it after nearly finishing our main course. The dinner i have to say may have been slow to come out but the food was amazing! the only highlight of the stay was the dinner.
At breakfast, we went down at 10.20 (breakfast finishes at 10.30). We were shown to a table after waiting 3-4 mins at the podium/entrance.
Our order was taken around 10 mins after this (yes we sat like lemons waiting to be served for 10mins) but there is a continental breakfast should you get extremely hungry during your wait.
Well, we waited and we waited and we waited and finally 40 mins after ordering our cooked breakfast and me nearly exploding with rage at the wait it was served. I would love to say it was worth the wait (just like dinner) but my partner and I had one mouthful each and decided that it was fit to be thrown off a wall instead of eaten. The black pudding was cremated, the bacon was rock hard and the beans were re-heated to the same temperature as the centre of the sun and tasted burned! Breakfast was promptly left on the table whilst we went back upstairs to finish packing and vacate the room.
I did make a complaint to reception about the poor service and the girl couldn't have been more apologetic but by then the damage had been done and what should have been a romantic luxury night away turned into a waste of money. My advice would be to give it a steer unless you are very laid back and happy to receive below par service!
Oh and we were offered a complimentary upgrade next time we stay.....my response - 'we won't be back'!

Room Tip: We had a basic double room and it was lovely. Though the honeymoon suite is amazing!
2  Thank G C
GMcrutherland, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor and thank you for replying to my email.

Our primary aim here at the Macdonald Crutherland House is to achieve and exceed our guest's expectations and am I sorry it appears that we failed on this occassion.

If you do visit the hotel again please email me on gm.crutherland@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation.

Kindest regards

New Lanark Mill Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!