“beautiful hotel”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here recently in a family room. The hotel is beautifully positioned in gorgeous mature grounds while only a half hours drive from glasgow. The hotel is well maintained and the room was spacious for two adults and two children.
We had the bar food as I could not trust my 5 year old to behave in the dining room and we had no complaints. There were doors open on to a lovely courtyard and grass area for him to play while still within our sight, The breakfast was sumptuous and all staff very helpful, especially receptionists.
My nomination for employee of the day went to the duty manager who seemed to be receptionist, room service and waiter all in one..!
One suggestion for the hotel is to allow the windows in the rooms open a little wider as we stayed during particularly hot weather and the room was sweltering. This may not be a problem most of the time as I think that weather is rare...

Room Tip: The couple traveling with us chose a ground floor room and it was cooler..
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank delliex
TBreheny, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Dear delliex

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback online.

I am delighted that you enjoyed bar patio and that your kids could enjoy playing outside while you ate.

Breakfast generally is one of our strong points and I am delighted that it felt that way to you too.

We look forward to welcoming you family back in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for a little getaway for weekend. We were checked in efficiently and given directions to room, room was really nice and a good size, also impressed with bathroom. We then used the swimming pool, steam room and sauna, pool was very big and clean area with sun loungers around to chill out on.
Only negative points i would say were prices of drinks in bar, had one drink then left and got drinks with dinner elsewhere. People may spend a lot more time in bar if prices were not so high.
Also no need for heating blasting 24/7 in July.. a little uncomfortable during night..
But overall had a great stay in this impressive hotel :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank xeloisex
TBreheny, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Xeloisex

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TA. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

In relation to your comments on bar prices we regularly complete price comparisons against local 4 star hotels to ensure that our prices are at a comparable price point.

Once again thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

It would seem the AA will hand out 4 star status to any hotel these days with decent leisure facilities and neglect the more important issues such as value for money, standards of food and accommodation. Sadly this would appear to be the case at the Crutherland. Plus side is staff are very good, they are courteous and professional. Big let down is the food. Portions are minimal, presentation poor and standards do not match the prices. £16 for an overcooked chicken breast in a bland tomato sauce, £12 for a burger with a lettuce leaf and greasy chips... I could go on. McDonald Hotel group need to appreciate that some guests are spending their own money and not putting all expenses on business accounts, I have stayed in the McDonald St Andrews Rusacks Hotel which is a proper 4 star hotel with no leisure facilities, The Crutherland needs some major attention to improve to come any where near reaching similar standards.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rob M
Please accept my apologies that we have not matched your expectations on this occasion, I have sent you a personal message and hope to speak with you directly regarding your feedback.
We review all feedback as a team and please be assured refresher training will take place where appropriate.
Once again thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope to get the chance to discuss your stay in more detail.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed here one night on our way up to the Highlands. We got in very late and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful in getting us checked in expediently and making sure we had all the information we needed.

The hotel itself is gorgeous and with a fitness suite and swimming pool that beat my London gym bu a mile. The room was well appointed and the beds very comfortable. I was unhappy to discover that several of the pillows on the larger bed, we had a queen and single, reeked of men's cologne. Either the cases hadn't been changed or it had seeped through but either way it was very unpleasant. I was also disappointed to find long dark hairs dotting the side of the bathtub in the morning. For such a well respected and reviewed hotel I was disappointed that such careless cleaning mistakes had occurred. Despite this i would still return and recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dsnodgra
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your recent stay at the hotel.
Please accept my apologies that the housekeeping standards were not as they should have been and Annlie our head housekeeper will investigate who serviced the room and will carry out some refresher training.
On a positive note I am delighted that you would return again to the hotel again and for the wonderful comments on the team.
I hope that you had a safe trip home and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Best regards

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The staff at the hotel were very nice but at times it seemed scripted. Room was clean and comfortable. Bar food was a bit too much money for a sandwich which was rather large, 3slices of bread.
They did not make enough of the Hotel grounds, we discovered a lovely walk by the river.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear SammyRussel
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am sorry to read that the sandwich was not to your liking. Please be assured that I will certainly speak with the kitchen brigade and let them know your feedback.
I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed exploring the hotels grounds and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Best regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Staff at check in were really nice and quick. Loved the Shortbread touch too.

The grounds here are lovely and were decent to go for a little run as it was sunny.

Some good points:

-Huge Pool
-Nice big gym with loads of cardio equipment and weights - Although some stuff was broken and dangerous if I'm being honest
-Rooms real spacious
-Nice real iron and ironing board - no dangly wired or attached to wall fuss.

Improvements to be made
-Not one single fan in the whole hotel? The rooms were boiling and my windows screwed shut. I had to move rooms with little apologies and was not happy at all. When I complained at the desk, i got a shot "I'll let the duty manager know in the morning" - Basically, get lost - not god guys.
-Dated decor and fittings - Dark wood and floral carpets? Really? it's 2014

Would I stay again? Sorry not in a rush.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Basurq
Reviewed 29 June 2014

stayed here last night as we were going to a wedding reception nearby. the room was very spacious and we a great night's sleep due to the comfy bed and pillows. We did not have time unfortunately for dinner but we had a meal in the lounge before setting off to the wedding reception - i chose to have a burger and was told that it would take 25 mins - it was certainly worth the wait. Delicious., Surprised at the comments of previous reviews because all staff we met were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was tasty, piping hot and plenty of choice. One slight downside to our stay was the journey!! We were travelling from the centre of Glasgow so it should only have taken 30 minutes. In reality it took well over an hour . We used the sat nav but the road was closed and we ended up going round in circles trying to find the hotel. If these roadworks are going on for some time a suggestion would be for the Hotel to try to put up a temporary sign pointing in the right direction. We tried to phone the hotel but others must have been doing the same as it was not answered.

Room Tip: we had a basic double room which was very quite (201)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!