“eXCELLENT SERVICE AND HOTEL GAVE US OUR DREAM WEDDING”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow
“eXCELLENT SERVICE AND HOTEL GAVE US OUR DREAM WEDDING”
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I was just on here to book another stay at the Crutherland to celebrate our wedding anniversary on 4th Sept. We had out wedding here 18 months ago and it was PERFECT from the word go. All the prep meetings with Aileen and Jenny the wedding management right through to us confirming details, on the day, the hotel, staff and food were WOW...we had over 100 guests and many were staying...not a single complaint about the hotel of staff. My sister had her wedding here a few years ago and this was what made me desperately want this hotel as my reception, we did not even look at a single hotel but it was a case of calling up and booking it since myself and my family and husband to be were so impressed! Can't wait to stay at the Crutherland again for our anniversarry and we only live a short distance away!! Well worth it! If you want amazing food fantastic service and a dream wedding to remember or even a relaxing spa break I would highly recommend the Crutherland! What more, if you book your wedding there is only the one big suite so you will not be bumping into any other brides on your big day and it was like we had the hotel to ourself....the extensive grounds meant the children could run around outside and they were safe as its far from the main road. Coming from an Italian family we are fussy and I had the menu to suit and also the staff were very good at organising everything else!! Excellente not a bad word to say!!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank lisa_MP015

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Scotland
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We have just returned from a girly night away at Crutherland House, we booked it through Hotel Connexions, 5 ladies in our 40's on our annual escape from domestic life. We had booked 2 twin rooms and a double, (we like to congregate in a room with our wine and nibbles for chat.) On arrival at reception we were informed " Oh there is a problem with your booking, we have 5 single rooms for you, but it's ok, you are all in the same corridor". No wonder - no one else would have paid to stay in this area of the hotel. The rooms were very cramped, even smaller than Gail McIntyre's prison cell, the bathrooms consisted of a very small shower, the rooms were very small and basic. There was no way we could have fitted 3 of us in a room at one time, let alone all 5 for a pre dinner get together, We phoned Hotel connexions having got no where with the receptionist regarding this being totally different from our booking. Hotel Connextions were very good, spoke to Jenny who said she would contact the hotel and get back to us. While we were waiting we noticed that a chair in one of the rooms was torn, there was the remains of tea splattered on a radiator and the toilets in 2 of the rooms did not flush. We were told by Jenny to go and meet with the manager, who we met in reception, she was way out of her depth, did not introduce herself, she offered us a meeting room with a sofa so that we could all get together in one room prior and after dinner. What Lindsay Randall, the duty manager, seemed to totally miss the point of was we had booked 2 twin rooms and a double and had been allocated 5 of the tattiest rooms I had ever seen. Eventually after a bit of negotiating and having told us there was NO other options available, Lindsay managed to magic up a lovely double room with a lovely clean and spacious bathroom, which even had a bath, such a contrast from the 5 singles we had been offered. So we had a solution, 1 of us had a nice room and the other 4 had to slum it and make the most of our stay. It took 2 hours to sort this mess out, so much for a relaxing afternoon. The rest of the stay was ok, the pool was nice but one of the shower doors was hanging off, the meal was good, breakfast fine and the staff apart from at reception were all very friendly and efficient. At one stage we heard Lindsey speaking to other members of staff about our complaint in a very flippant manner - not very professional! All in all to sum up I would say that this hotel does not deserve 4 stars, it could scrape 3. I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank KathyKirsop
home
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We are just back from Macdonald Crutherland House having stayed for 2 nights. The hotel is absolutely beautiful the food is delicious and the staff were very friendly and could not be more helpful .We would certainly recomment this hotel and are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank isabel584
birmingham
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I travel for work alot and usually stay in budget hotels but thought I would treat myself to a 4star hotel with 2 rosette restaurant hotel room was fine staff friendly enough. restaurant was poor menu was terrible fish of the day was fish and chips both nights, nothing interesting on the menu at all, cheap ingredients no inovation for the price being paid chicken liver pate smoked mackerel twice baked souflee among boring starters. too many mixes in main courses duck with carrot puree onion relish with bubble and squeak. better standard of food at travel inn etc where I will be staying from now on

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank allythetraveler24
UK
Reviewed 26 February 2010

As everyone on this site I got a cheap deal with travelzoo. £69 2 nights upgrade, dinner breakfast spa treatment. You can't fault the value or the hotel. I didnt know the area of East Kilbride until I booked and then one of my Scottish friends from Paisley lead me to believe I would be shot or similar in the area but it wasn't that bad! The hotel itself is outside of the centre in leafy surrounds and you could be a million miles away from the high rises of EK. If visiting Glasgow it's very handy however I had a car, whether a public transport visitor would have the same experience is doubtful.
In terms of service things got off to a bad start, I arrived after I was supposed to be booked in and the room was not ready, which seemed crazy and made me instantly worry about the rest of the stay. To make the best of the situation we went to the bar for champagne afternoon tea which was very good and outstanding value in comparison to other such services at other hotels.
Whilst at the hotel we stayed in two rooms (I made two seperate bookings and the more expensive room wasn't available for the whole stay). First "the bridal suite" which was large and traditionally fitted out (and obviously a bargain for the price!). The bath was huge and ran well, the bed was a comfortable four poster and we had a seperate walk in closet and dressing room. Had I not stayed in another room I would have said it was fantastic, as it was it was nice and large but dated in comparison to the cheaper executive room (especially the tv which may be appearing in a museum near you soon).
The second room, the executive was lovely, though smaller it had a better bathroom, better fittings everywhere and had a dvd player to make use of the hotel library. On the subject of the dvd, I ordered one from reception and it was delayed so as way of apology they provided free popcorn-very nice touch (one of many for a hotel with SUPERB service from its staff... initial check in not included)
The highlight of this hotel is the food. It's just incredible. We were only going to eat here on the included food but ended up gorging on every meal, it really was suprisingly brilliant.
Spa was nice, all treatments done with professionalism and good level of service. Leisure facilities are also top-notch, quite small but never busy so dont need to be.
All in all a fantastic stay at a hotel with great service and AMAZING FOOD.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Western Isles, Scotland
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We got a deal with Travelzoo to stay in this hotel and thought the price was too good to be true and the hotel would be disappointing (£69 for 2 nights including wine, a spa treatment and dinner on first night!), how wrong I was! Superb room (upgraded for £15 to executive room) had wine, robes etc in room on arrival. Leisure pool, sauna, gym, spa treatments and steam room were perfect would recommend a massage in a very relaxing atmosphere. The food was first class - a lovely, cosy dining room - the stay just about perfect. Can't speak highly enough of the service, we would return to the hotel in a flash!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daviespider
braco
Reviewed 19 February 2010

my booking in proceedure was hell, the first room I was given the key didnt work,it had apparantley been booked to somebody else,so up and down stairs along corridors( the layout leaves a lot to be desired ) with large suitcase .briefcase ,handbag in tow,Back to reception to be given a room again was pre occupied.Third time lucky after complaining I got a decent room,but geuss waht on Saturday afternoon I tried to access my room and I was blocked,they had checked me out !!!??? I still had another night stay.
The gym has four treadmills only one was working the whole time I was there.
Restaurant staff were good. I waited in the main bar for 10 minutes all I wanted was a G&T , but nobody arrived,reception said that they would be back in 10 ,I am not sure what 10 means but it certainly wasnt 10 minutes.
THis is not 4 star treatment

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!