“Excellent Staff”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Burnley, Lancs
“Excellent Staff”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel has very good staff, who work hard to try to please everybody. Stayed three nights and the hotel was full of business people. Yes the hotel does need updating which is probably in the pipeline. The room had everything you would need including an iron and ironing board. The restaurant was pleasant, good choice of food and wine, although the drinks was expensive. Service could be slow because the restaurant was understaffed. Would stay again now we have found the fabulous bus service into Glasgow. Cannot praise the public bus service enough, the bus stop is outside the hotel £4.10 for an all day ticket to anywhere, saves a fortune.. Glasgow a great city full of friendly people and lots of lovely places to visit. A special thank you to the Restaurant Manager who always had a smile and was so helpful to us.

Room Tip: If possible book an executive room free wifi
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn East Kilbride, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Rooms Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I visited this hotel one Sunday in August. It is the fourth or fifth time I've visited and on previous occasions it wasn't too bad. Yes the hotel is dated but the bed was comfortable and staff friendly so I decided to stay again.

Arriving around tea time on the Sunday there was plenty of space in the car park and I did not have to wait long to be checked in. The member of staff confirmed my booking as room only when it had been booked to include breakfast. I was then asked if I had the confirmation as the system said room only, this appeared to fix itself by morning however as I was not charged for breakfast on departure although it is the first time I have ever been asked to prove what I had booked and paid for in a hotel. I was offered some points or a free drink at the bar as a member if the loyalty scheme and was pointed in the direction of my room.

The room itself was very big, lots of space although the work desk was shoved in the darkest corner, why is anyone's guess. The furniture is now past it's best with scrapes etc on the wood. The bathroom was also very big with a separate shower although the silicon around the base of the shower was again last it's best and black in places. It really should have been replaced about six months ago. From reading the responses to other reviews it's clear a refurbishment is currently in place, although I think the rooms really should have been done first rather than the function rooms.

Then to food - when checking in another member of staff told the receptionist that they were just going to shut the restaurant and out the coach parties (three coaches) in there and everyone else can eat in the bar. Not a major problem if there was a table in the bar higher than fourteen inches off the floor. So clearly the business of the coach sorties takes priority over regular paying guests. Fair play these guys have paid their money the same as everyone else however this was a joke.

I went to the car to collect something and when returning to my room I passed what I think is the reception for the meeting rooms and there were two members of staff having a heated debate about the moving of the coach party so clearly someone wasn't happy with this move.

So I decided to order room service instead, decent choice on the menu what I thought was exorbitant was the £4.50 tray charge (Central London Holiday Inns are only £4 and don't shut their restaurant on a whim) but what was laughable and unfortunately I didn't notice it before checking out was the 10% service charge. This took a burger and chips (no drink) to over £20 - I would have been cheaper taking a taxi to a local pub. It is worth pointing out that the food was very good, there is no complaints there, however it was not worth £20. There was a mini bar in the room, however there was no tariff so I didn't even bother with that.

A decent nights sleep was had, there were no disturbances and the bed was very comfortable. In the morning I went for breakfast as soon as the restaurant opened which was maybe a good thing as the three coach parties had started to descend by the time I was leaving and it was very busy.

Overall it was a really disappointing stay and I probably will not be back. The breakfast issue thankfully sorted itself but should not have happened. Had the restaurant been closed and there were decent tables in the bar this wouldn't have been a problem but to then close the restaurant and effectively charge £6 for someone to walk down a corridor with a tray is a riot when the hotel have reduced the options available. There are nicer IHG hotels in the Glasgow/South Lanarkshire area, up until now I preferred this one due to the location but will definitely consider others first in the future.

1 Thank Chris M
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I am extremely sorry to read that you experienced issues during your stay. Please be assured that your comments are taken seriously and passed to the relevant teams for immediate resolution.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

my husband and I stayed at the hotel 15th august, I checked trip advisor before we left and there were a lot of negative comments. im very pleased to say our room 236 was fabulous, clean ,everything worked . the staff were friendly and helpful, the swimming pool etc was great towels and toiletries a bonus. breakfast was very well cooked and presented, great choice for every food palate they even had soya milk and natural yogurt fresh fruit so that was me sorted. and of course the traditional cooked breakfast to please the hubby . will book again when visiting family .thank you holiday inn east Kilbride.

Room Tip: room 236 was quiet clean and very comfortable. shower very powerful.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maz w
Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is dated and the room was in a very poor condition and not very clean, there was an empty Pringles chips box and used tissues under the bed... The sofa bed that was made as a second bed in the room (which we did not use as it had been made by the hotel by mistake) had a disgusting blue cover with suspicious stains all over...
Although the staff were very nice, they were less than efficient. At check-in, we informed them that the safe was locked, nothing could be done before the following Monday as there were no maintenance staff on at the weekend and when Monday came, despite reminding them, no one came to sort this out or communicated back to us.
Breakfast is a complete shambles, we went both towards the starting and ending times at different dates and the buffet was always empty, the dishes were dirty, clearly they were put in a dishwasher but never dried as they were all full of suspicious water. The quality of the ingredients was also very poor, offering only black olive bread for breakfast, what's that about? The fruits were from tinned cans and the juices would clear any blocked drain!
Do not take me wrong... I understand the limits of offering from a two stars hotel (I would not give them more, even that is generous) but at over £130 a night on the Saturday, they are really taking guests for idiots! Enough of these hotels who overcharge us just because there is no decent competition in the area!!!
Btw - the staff at the gym where not very welcoming either...
I only stayed there because I had to and would never go back, even though I am a member of IHG club...

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ptatworld

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a Gold Holiday Inn member I have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns across the UK.. this is by far the best of them all on all aspects.. Food was amazing, restaurant decor very nice, relaxing, Staff very friendly and welcoming.. rooms and all public areas very clean and fresh. I normally stay at Dakota but having tried this Hol Inn I will definitely be back. cannot wait. thank you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a tired, unfriendly and woefully poor place to spend a night. As a regular holiday Inn customer, I have to say that this was one of the worst experiences of said company I have ever had the misfortune to experience. Rooms are basic/tired and fraying at the edges.Resteraunt menu is very limited to everything with chips and the Wi-fi is diabolical. All in all if it wasn't for the leisure centre & pool I'd have walked without paying. Do yourselves a favour... Go elsewhere!

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My first impression, when entering the hotel grounds was a busy car park, half taken up by visitors to the gym, underneath a busy flyover. Upon checking it appeared that something was wrong with my booking for my second night stay and as there was no room available for the second night I found that I had to curtail my visit to East Kilbride. The room was very large and airy but it was not very clean, particular underneath the window. The pillows on the bed looked as if someone had lain on it and there was also a pair of ladies shoes next to the sofa and some ladies hair accessories in the shower cubicle so it appeared that the room had not been cleaned properly as these things would have otherwise been found by the cleaner. The furniture in the room were scratched and below standard and the duvet was just like a thin blanket. The evening meal was cold and mediocre and the dishes and glasses were dirty. The dated hairdryer had been mended with sellotape. Overall a very bad experience and personally I will not be using this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room with good food and clean dishes, use another hotel
1 Thank Gabrielle R

Torrance Hotel
Torrance Hotel
#4 of 7 in East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn East Kilbride? Share your experiences!