“Trading on past glories?”

Holiday Inn East Kilbride
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Dorset, England
“Trading on past glories?”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

For a 4-star rating, this Hotel does not meet expectation.
In many places it has an air of dowdiness and some of the rooms look tired and in need of some tlc.
There are not many smiles to be found on the faces of staff members.
We were a coach party of 40+ and, at dinner, menu selections were served en bloc i.e. all the soups together, then all the pates, and so on. Hence, instead of each table being served in turn, eaters were served according to what they ordered, rather than who they were eating with. Consequently, table members did not start or finish their meals together.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Scott D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn East Kilbride, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read you were not wholly satisfied with your stay. Please be assured that your comments have been passed to the relevant department manager for further investigation.

Rooms Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Manchester
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a room though Avios points to stay for 1 night as we were attending a wedding in Rutherglen. Greeted upon arrival by very helpful Natalie on Reception.
We were allocated room 103. Lovely and modern, clean with large bathroom. Well stocked mini bar (no price list though which was off putting).
Nothing was a problem for the staff. Ice bucket was brought up on request and replacement hair drier for the one that blew up on me. Friendly and attentive staff really helps to bring this slightly tired looking hotel back to life.
Visited the spa which was lovely and hot.
Bed was super comfy and nice touch to have pillow menu. Best night sleep in a good while.
Breakfast was average. Loads of tables with dirty plates on and had to wait for fresh food to come. But it tasted good. The restaurant was drab and needs a good refurb.
Over all we had a really good stay.
Only reason why this is not 5 star is due to breakfast.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

Your comments regarding breakfast has been passed to our Head Chef for further investigation. I am pleased to read however you were pleased with the service received from Natalie on reception, you comments will be shared with her.

Burnley, Lancs
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel has very good staff, who work hard to try to please everybody. Stayed three nights and the hotel was full of business people. Yes the hotel does need updating which is probably in the pipeline. The room had everything you would need including an iron and ironing board. The restaurant was pleasant, good choice of food and wine, although the drinks was expensive. Service could be slow because the restaurant was understaffed. Would stay again now we have found the fabulous bus service into Glasgow. Cannot praise the public bus service enough, the bus stop is outside the hotel £4.10 for an all day ticket to anywhere, saves a fortune.. Glasgow a great city full of friendly people and lots of lovely places to visit. A special thank you to the Restaurant Manager who always had a smile and was so helpful to us.

Room Tip: If possible book an executive room free wifi
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride on TripAdvisor.

I hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I visited this hotel one Sunday in August. It is the fourth or fifth time I've visited and on previous occasions it wasn't too bad. Yes the hotel is dated but the bed was comfortable and staff friendly so I decided to stay again.

Arriving around tea time on the Sunday there was plenty of space in the car park and I did not have to wait long to be checked in. The member of staff confirmed my booking as room only when it had been booked to include breakfast. I was then asked if I had the confirmation as the system said room only, this appeared to fix itself by morning however as I was not charged for breakfast on departure although it is the first time I have ever been asked to prove what I had booked and paid for in a hotel. I was offered some points or a free drink at the bar as a member if the loyalty scheme and was pointed in the direction of my room.

The room itself was very big, lots of space although the work desk was shoved in the darkest corner, why is anyone's guess. The furniture is now past it's best with scrapes etc on the wood. The bathroom was also very big with a separate shower although the silicon around the base of the shower was again last it's best and black in places. It really should have been replaced about six months ago. From reading the responses to other reviews it's clear a refurbishment is currently in place, although I think the rooms really should have been done first rather than the function rooms.

Then to food - when checking in another member of staff told the receptionist that they were just going to shut the restaurant and out the coach parties (three coaches) in there and everyone else can eat in the bar. Not a major problem if there was a table in the bar higher than fourteen inches off the floor. So clearly the business of the coach sorties takes priority over regular paying guests. Fair play these guys have paid their money the same as everyone else however this was a joke.

I went to the car to collect something and when returning to my room I passed what I think is the reception for the meeting rooms and there were two members of staff having a heated debate about the moving of the coach party so clearly someone wasn't happy with this move.

So I decided to order room service instead, decent choice on the menu what I thought was exorbitant was the £4.50 tray charge (Central London Holiday Inns are only £4 and don't shut their restaurant on a whim) but what was laughable and unfortunately I didn't notice it before checking out was the 10% service charge. This took a burger and chips (no drink) to over £20 - I would have been cheaper taking a taxi to a local pub. It is worth pointing out that the food was very good, there is no complaints there, however it was not worth £20. There was a mini bar in the room, however there was no tariff so I didn't even bother with that.

A decent nights sleep was had, there were no disturbances and the bed was very comfortable. In the morning I went for breakfast as soon as the restaurant opened which was maybe a good thing as the three coach parties had started to descend by the time I was leaving and it was very busy.

Overall it was a really disappointing stay and I probably will not be back. The breakfast issue thankfully sorted itself but should not have happened. Had the restaurant been closed and there were decent tables in the bar this wouldn't have been a problem but to then close the restaurant and effectively charge £6 for someone to walk down a corridor with a tray is a riot when the hotel have reduced the options available. There are nicer IHG hotels in the Glasgow/South Lanarkshire area, up until now I preferred this one due to the location but will definitely consider others first in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris M
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

I am extremely sorry to read that you experienced issues during your stay. Please be assured that your comments are taken seriously and passed to the relevant teams for immediate resolution.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

my husband and I stayed at the hotel 15th august, I checked trip advisor before we left and there were a lot of negative comments. im very pleased to say our room 236 was fabulous, clean ,everything worked . the staff were friendly and helpful, the swimming pool etc was great towels and toiletries a bonus. breakfast was very well cooked and presented, great choice for every food palate they even had soya milk and natural yogurt fresh fruit so that was me sorted. and of course the traditional cooked breakfast to please the hubby . will book again when visiting family .thank you holiday inn east Kilbride.

Room Tip: room 236 was quiet clean and very comfortable. shower very powerful.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maz w

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is dated and the room was in a very poor condition and not very clean, there was an empty Pringles chips box and used tissues under the bed... The sofa bed that was made as a second bed in the room (which we did not use as it had been made by the hotel by mistake) had a disgusting blue cover with suspicious stains all over...
Although the staff were very nice, they were less than efficient. At check-in, we informed them that the safe was locked, nothing could be done before the following Monday as there were no maintenance staff on at the weekend and when Monday came, despite reminding them, no one came to sort this out or communicated back to us.
Breakfast is a complete shambles, we went both towards the starting and ending times at different dates and the buffet was always empty, the dishes were dirty, clearly they were put in a dishwasher but never dried as they were all full of suspicious water. The quality of the ingredients was also very poor, offering only black olive bread for breakfast, what's that about? The fruits were from tinned cans and the juices would clear any blocked drain!
Do not take me wrong... I understand the limits of offering from a two stars hotel (I would not give them more, even that is generous) but at over £130 a night on the Saturday, they are really taking guests for idiots! Enough of these hotels who overcharge us just because there is no decent competition in the area!!!
Btw - the staff at the gym where not very welcoming either...
I only stayed there because I had to and would never go back, even though I am a member of IHG club...

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ptatworld
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Glasgow-East Kilbride.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

As a Gold Holiday Inn member I have stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns across the UK.. this is by far the best of them all on all aspects.. Food was amazing, restaurant decor very nice, relaxing, Staff very friendly and welcoming.. rooms and all public areas very clean and fresh. I normally stay at Dakota but having tried this Hol Inn I will definitely be back. cannot wait. thank you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Parklands Hotel & Country Club
Parklands Hotel & Country Club
#2 of 2 in Newton Mearns

Been to Holiday Inn East Kilbride? Share your experiences!