“Pleasant Weekend.”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Manchester
“Pleasant Weekend.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

First time at this Hotel. A very welcoming, comfortable and friendly establishment. Excellent food and service. Very clean. Fine entertainment after dinner on the Friday night. We shall definately stay again next time we are visiting that area of Scotland. Very pleasant staff throughout.

Room Tip: Have a high room, but NOT above front entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Overall a reasonable experience but much work to the rooms are needed to earn more stars. The rooms, whilst functional, are looking tired and need of some serious TLC. Breakfast was an experience and generally poorly presented with a limited choice and questionable quality. In contrast the evening meal and service was first rate and faultless, which was later topped off by a Beatles tribute band. I must say the hotel's greatest asset is the staff, they were attentive; helpful and professional.

As this hotel location was part of holiday package, its not a hotel I would choose to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, less noise from the Disco.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NWestObserver
Paisley
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I bought a deal for a Carvery meal for two people on Friday and thought I would use it this Sunday.
I phoned the hotel just before 9am and spoke to Susan who had no clue to the deal?.Susan apologised and said she had been on holiday and would find out from the chef and phone me back, I also wanted to know the times it ran from and to.So that I could book.Anyway 3hrs later I phoned the hotel and got Susan who said she was waiting fir the chef to come in at 3pm?.I asked why couldent she have given me a quuck call to let me know of this in which she giggled and replyed what was the point when she didnt know anything!..I was shocked and certainly not impressed . Surely she ciukd have been guven this info from someone?.I asked then when is the normal time for carvery in which she replyed do you know what I will just book you in and took a booking for 6.30pm.I was concerned wether I would even get a dinner, Susan said she would phone if that wasn't ok.

I phoned and spoke to reception on Sunday to ask if possible to change the time to 5pm in which there was no problem. We arrived and the welcome was lovely and informed where to go.We were sat down and our order taken, the restaurant was quite with about 4 tables but with only one chap on.We did wait 35mins for our starter the tempura but oh it was worth it.The best Ive ever had.Simply delicious! .At order I was informed there was only 2portions of beef left and wasent sure if this was still the case.I then asked if I was getting beef to which well that was your order?.My friend had the chicken and once again the food was fantastic! .The decor and cleanliness of the place also Fantastic! .
It was becoming clear nobody was aware or had taken time to have the knowledge of the Deal details.More so when my bill was given.I was charged for starters?.When I pointed this out I was asked are you sure!.A min later a very swift and insincere apoligy with the new bill.This is the chap who hsd also taken the voucher from me.

This is a great place with fab food and staff seemed very friendly.I did say to reception about the lack of staff knowledge was really letting the service down.I just hope it has been rectified because first impressions do count and it would be a shame because it really was lovely and would have been exceptional otherwise!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Laura1210Paisley
AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Went here for a murder mystery night and for £25 got the whole " Who Dunnit" play with actors whilst eating our meal.Food was good...3 course and for and extra £30 for 2 people for the night, we got to stay the night in a really comfy hotel double room complete with full Scottish cooked breakfast in the morning.
Rooms were basic but clean and comfy with telly , shower room and tea and coffee stuff.
But I can tell you that the actual Murder Mystery thing at night was the biggest laugh I have had in years! I laughed that much I had sore jaws and sides, absolutley hilarious. It was very tongue in cheek but made us all laugh so much. Definitely worth putting on your bucket list. This was a first for me and am so glad I done it. Give it a go, it is worth it...three course meal and entertainment for £25 ....what more do you want?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank OLLIO C
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Spent a few days staying at the Bruce Hotel as part of a David Urquhart package. The hotel was very clean and the staff very pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. During our stay there was a wedding and a birthday party taking place on separate nights so the noise did go on until the early hours but it did not spoil our holiday. Another member of our party experienced a lot of noise during the night on the other side of the hotel due to deliveries etc.

Meals were adequate (usually more basic anyway when staying on a coach holiday) however good value for money.

The hotel was a bit dated but if you want a top class hotel you have to pay top class prices. I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again as it is in a good position for visiting Glasgow without having to stay in the City Centre.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Geordiedivas
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Was woken up at 6am by generator then kept awake by generator in the evening. The wash basin in my room was cracked and the hotel decor has definitely seen better days.Although the Bruce has a restaurant we were put in the ballroom where the tables were set for 10 people. Hard luck if you did not get on with your other diners. In the evening Ella Fitzgerald was played all the way through the 5 days it got a bit wearisome. The meals were plated up with the veg already on the plate. The service in the evening was long between meals the sessions were staggered but ended up with everyone having their main meal at the same time, so those who came in at 6.30 had to wait till 7.30 for the 6.45 and 7.00pm people to have their starters before they got their meals.

Room Tip: rooms at front of the hotel are better.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank roscwmbran
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Firstly I would like to say how lovely and cheerful the staff were here, very efficient and helpful; I would happily rebook for the service.

HOWEVER. At £65 I thought this place was a little steeply priced for the condition of the hotel and all the simply mind-boggling elements preventing a decent night's sleep.

There is a club somewhere in the hotel which at 1:30am was blasting out some truely awful dance trash music. I was on floor one and it was intrusive to be quite honest. I simply cannot understand why a hotel would play such loud music to be heard by paying guests, it is utterly ridiculous that management would think the two would mix, I can only assume that this place is run by money grabbing idiots.

The fire doors along the corridor to the rooms are another issue that could quite easily be fixed. As they Mechanically close after someone has walked through they make an almighty slam on the wooden frames; just a bit of padded lining around the edges would minimise this immensely. Needless to say after finally ignoring the dance music for long enough to drop off at 2am I was utterly delighted to be woken up at 6:45am on a sunday morning, and then onwards by everyone of the trips to and from breakfast by other guests.

Two very easy to fix things there if someone took an interest.

Now to the better things about this hotel. It is quite obviously a value hotel. The rooms are on the small side but well laid out and easy to get around. Plenty of sockets and drawer space. The shower and toilet room is miniscule but incredibly clean and nicely tiled. Quality fittings and a nice washbasin and wonderfully lit mirror. They even manage to squeeze a full length mirror on the wardrobe. No complaints there.

The bedding was clean and a blanket available in the wardrobe, which is not always the case in higher quality hotels. The pillows are a little too hard though, enough to make you face go numb!

The walls could do with a lick of paint and the door was about as soundproof as a cereal box.

The reception is not very welcoming, it is in a dark corner and could easily be spruced up even though it is quite dated in its design. The lounge area was lovely though, big ceiling and well decorated, obviously spent a bit of money there.

Parking is quite limited but secure and easy to access the hotel from.

Overall a very clean hotel that needs a bit of sprucing in places. Drops 2 stars for allowing a nightclub to blast out music til the early hours and for not fixing slamming doors. Which I am quite flabberghasted by seeing as it has the halcyon group's name to it.

• Stayed June 2013
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Burnhouse Manor Hotel
Burnhouse Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burnhouse

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!