“Tribute Night Break with Family”
Review of Bruce Hotel

Bruce Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Balfron, United Kingdom
“Tribute Night Break with Family”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

29 of us went to celebrate an Elderly uncles birthday. Stayed the night and room was fine. Clean bedding and towels but some decor needing repaired.Food at the tribute night was good and the Entertainer was top notch. Got everyone in the party mood and all our party enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and very attentive.Breakfast in the morning was very good and all in all would be back again.

Room Tip: Room 214 was very large and quieter side of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Donny M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed 3 nights in room 210.
The Room was large, clean, pleasant and bright even if maybe a bit dated. It had a huge bed which was very comfortable. Towels changed everyday! The staff were very attentive and helpful in every way. We dined each evening and enjoyed excellent food, beautifully presented with the restaurant staff being just brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was very reasonably priced as were the drinks. Breakfast was excellent, try the Loch Fyne Kippers - OMG - worth going back to Bruce Hotel for breakfast alone!!! It's an easy 5 minute walk to East Kilbride Railway Station - regular trains to Glasgow. Glasgow well worth a visit.
Thanks to all the staff - especially chef - lovely food, we have already have recommended this hotel to our friends. For value for money I don't think we have ever done better, and we have travelled extensively!

Room Tip: We were on second floor - we were not troubled by noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stopped at this hotel for 3 nights with David Urquhart. First room we stopped in was disgusting. Stains on walls, carpets and headboard. Shower head was falling off. Had to screw bathroom handle on with a spoon handle. Room was next to main road and was very noisy. Room was very dusty. Asked to be moved rooms. Took a few hours. Eventually got new room which was on the small side but overall a lovely comfortable room. Food was nice, not exceptional. Drinks were far too expensive. But overall had a nice, relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank annaqwe
Lowestoft
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at the Bruce for 3 nights. Overall we had a pleasant stay. The hotel is badly in need of a refurbishment. We had a large room with 3 beds. There was an ironing board which was broken and also the iron didn't work. There was a build up of dust in the corners of the room. However, the bed linen was spotless and the towels were changed every day. The food was OK, but something needs to be done regarding breakfast. There was not a lot of choice and there was a long queue every morning. There was no price list in the bar and we were charged 3 different prices for the same drinks. We got the impression that the person behind the bar was guessing the prices. On the plus side for this hotel was the fact that all the staff were very friendly. We understand that the hotel is under new management, but they really need to think about refurbishing the hotel to bring it up to standard.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shircar
Manchester
Reviewed 7 August 2013

First time at this Hotel. A very welcoming, comfortable and friendly establishment. Excellent food and service. Very clean. Fine entertainment after dinner on the Friday night. We shall definately stay again next time we are visiting that area of Scotland. Very pleasant staff throughout.

Room Tip: Have a high room, but NOT above front entrance.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Overall a reasonable experience but much work to the rooms are needed to earn more stars. The rooms, whilst functional, are looking tired and need of some serious TLC. Breakfast was an experience and generally poorly presented with a limited choice and questionable quality. In contrast the evening meal and service was first rate and faultless, which was later topped off by a Beatles tribute band. I must say the hotel's greatest asset is the staff, they were attentive; helpful and professional.

As this hotel location was part of holiday package, its not a hotel I would choose to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, less noise from the Disco.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NWestObserver
Paisley
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I bought a deal for a Carvery meal for two people on Friday and thought I would use it this Sunday.
I phoned the hotel just before 9am and spoke to Susan who had no clue to the deal?.Susan apologised and said she had been on holiday and would find out from the chef and phone me back, I also wanted to know the times it ran from and to.So that I could book.Anyway 3hrs later I phoned the hotel and got Susan who said she was waiting fir the chef to come in at 3pm?.I asked why couldent she have given me a quuck call to let me know of this in which she giggled and replyed what was the point when she didnt know anything!..I was shocked and certainly not impressed . Surely she ciukd have been guven this info from someone?.I asked then when is the normal time for carvery in which she replyed do you know what I will just book you in and took a booking for 6.30pm.I was concerned wether I would even get a dinner, Susan said she would phone if that wasn't ok.

I phoned and spoke to reception on Sunday to ask if possible to change the time to 5pm in which there was no problem. We arrived and the welcome was lovely and informed where to go.We were sat down and our order taken, the restaurant was quite with about 4 tables but with only one chap on.We did wait 35mins for our starter the tempura but oh it was worth it.The best Ive ever had.Simply delicious! .At order I was informed there was only 2portions of beef left and wasent sure if this was still the case.I then asked if I was getting beef to which well that was your order?.My friend had the chicken and once again the food was fantastic! .The decor and cleanliness of the place also Fantastic! .
It was becoming clear nobody was aware or had taken time to have the knowledge of the Deal details.More so when my bill was given.I was charged for starters?.When I pointed this out I was asked are you sure!.A min later a very swift and insincere apoligy with the new bill.This is the chap who hsd also taken the voucher from me.

This is a great place with fab food and staff seemed very friendly.I did say to reception about the lack of staff knowledge was really letting the service down.I just hope it has been rectified because first impressions do count and it would be a shame because it really was lovely and would have been exceptional otherwise!

• Stayed July 2013
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Burnhouse Manor Hotel
Burnhouse Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burnhouse

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!