“Good value, friendly and helpful staff.”
Review of Bruce Hotel

Bruce Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Good value, friendly and helpful staff.”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Spent 5 nights - Tuesday to Saturday at the end of January - a clean, comfortable and very warm room at the front/side of hotel. Plenty of hot water for bath/shower - though if you are tall bath is quite a squeeze! Ate in Guy's Restaurant each evening - good value with large plates of 'home made' food - huge portion of steak pie, tasty Scottish dishes like Cullen Skink and Haggis. The starters and main courses being so generous I wasn't able to try any deserts! Breakfast were excellent (a £5 addition per night) - a buffet during week as a coach trip was in the hotel - with porridge or cereals, Scottish cooked breakfast and toast/jam - there are other options - kippers etc. Filled up in hotel & managed during day without lunch! Location is 10-15 walk from railway station with a twice hourly 30 minute service to Glasgow Central (£4.30 cheap day return - Feb 2013) - first off peak train at 9.26. There is a leisure/aqua centre 5 minutes from Hotel (not used). Location might be off-putting (part of a 1970's shopping centre) but during the week it was very quiet. Some minor disturbance from younguns leaving night club below hotel at weekend but a set of earphones and an iPod cured that!

All in all very good experience. Really good value for money (£35 per night) with two course meals costing about £10 to £15. The rooms are half the cost of central Glasgow, but still within easy reach of the City centre. Staff very friendly and helpful. I'm planning to go back in the early summer (before the Commonwealth Games hike the prices!).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
East Kilbride
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have been to the Skye bar twice in the past couple of weeks for a late lunch. The food is excellent and the presentation is first class, putting a lot of restaurants to shame. The management and staff are very friendly and helpful. The lounge bar is very clean and has a very pleasant atmosphere. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear over60Eastkilbride,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal, it is always so rewarding when our guests return. I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

James McCann
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I went here with my family for my 40th. There was 8 of us. The food was very poor and the service we received was a disgrace. The waiter was very unpleasant and it felt as if he didn't want to be there. He never asked us once if everything was ok. I had a burger and let's be honest I could have broken a window with it. I would never recommend this place. There are far better places to go for a nice meal in East Kilbride. Our bill wasn't cheap, they sure know how to charge. The sad thing about the whole night was there were only two tables occupied in the restaurant so there was no reason for the poor food and service we received.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank MrsDorans
Douglas D, Manager at Bruce Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Mrs Dorans,

I am extremely concerned and disappointed that you failed to receive our usual standard of food and service during your recent visit to the hotel.

I can give you my personal assurance that every element of your feedback will be fully investigated.

Could I ask you please to contact me directly at the hotel (013552 29771) when I would like the opportunity to discuss your visit personally.

Kind Regards

James McCann
rochdale
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were attending the West of Scotland Cat Club show and they were using this hotel for the judges.

I booked three double rooms seemingly without problem. I offered my credit card number but was told it wasn't necessary. I later received an e-mail confirming the reservation, saying that they needed my credit card details!

I booked a table for dinner for five, I later phoned to increase this to seven.

The room was of poor standard for the price, £90 for two of us. There had clearly been a water leak through the ceiling. The main door had been very roughly repaired. The vinyl in the bathroom was nearly worn out and had come away from the gripper.

As far as dinner went the dining room appeared to have no knowledge of our reservation. Eventually we were seated and were offered a seasonal menu, but the waiter was unsure as to whether we could have two courses.

This hotel is charging way too much for the standard of accommodation.

The public areas are smart, everything else needs renovation. They also need to sort out the postcoding problems, all three of us finished up in a different location using satnav.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank antb12
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback and your kind comments regarding the upgrade of the hotel since your last visit. We do have an on going programme this year which will incorporate remaining bedroom accommodation.

We totally appreciate the business that we receive from the cat club each year which is why I believe I offer the extremely keen rate of £45.00 person to include bed, full Scottish breakfast and a 4 course dinner in our Guy's restaurant.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming yourself and your party again this year when I hope you will appreciate the next stage in our refurbishment programme.

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2014.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Went for Christmas day meal, lovely surroundings but had to queue up for quite a while as it was buffet service, felt sorry for 2 carvery staff who were struggling to keep up. Food made up for the wait though, delicious. Visit from Santa added bonus.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Polly Scotland,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your Christmas Day Lunch with us and I'm delighted that Santa was an added bonus, it wouldn't be a real Christmas Day without him would it !!

I take on board your comments regarding the slight delay at the carvery. In todays economic climate where it is vitally important to offer the best value for money that you can we did take the decision to allow guests unlimited visits to the carvery, which, whilst resulted in well fed and satisfied guests it did mean that at times it did result in visitors to the carvery having a slight wait.

I sincerely hope that all the positives experiences of your visit will ensure that you return to us next Christmas and hopefully sooner to perhaps enjoy one of our tribute nights.

I wish you and your family a happy and prosperous 2014.

Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Had our annual christmas night at this hotel. A room with double bed was booked but on our arrival we were told that we were not booked for double and were given a room with two single beds ,as this is a busy period and it was only a overnight stay we accected the room,
On arrival at room we opened the door and were met with a really bad odour of what you would call strong cats urine odour, we complained and again were told that no other room was available but they would spray the room to rid the foul smell, (this also was,nt done staff ).
Overall very let down by hotel, would look for other place to stay on a visit to east kilbride

Room Tip: Don,t go to hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear james1,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

I apologise for your experience and feel that the customer care system that we operate within the hotel let both you and myself down during your visit. I hope the issue that you experienced with you accommodation did not affect the enjoyment of the part night.

I would appreciate if you would contact me directly in order that I can personally restore your faith in the hotel.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I spent Saturday night in the hotel after a Christmas party night. The party was great but the service for food and drink was incredibly slow. Orders were taken and it was at least an hour after that before main courses were served - I know there are a lot of people to be served but there must be a more efficient way of doing this. The foods itself however, was delicious so no complaints there at all. One of the waitresses offered to take our drinks order to the bar and deliver them to our table - after 20 minutes or so she was nowhere to be seen and another member of staff advised she had left to work in another part of the hotel - I still have no idea what happened to our order - very odd !
The room itself was okay, very small with a tiny shower room but just about manageable for one night. Any longer and it would have been tricky as there was nowhere really to put anything especially in the shower room. Also - note to housekeeping - you really need to clean trapped hair out of the drains and empty the kettle before other guests check in !
The hotel is a bit dated but it suited our needs and as if wasn't expensive it was fine.
The service at breakfast was also incredibly slow. We arrived just before 9am and still waited a good ten minutes before orders for hot food were taken albeit coffee and toast was served pretty quickly. The food was again very good but some friends waited ages then were served cold food and others waited almost half an hour just to order ! There seems to be a general lack of staff where needed although those that were working were polite and helpful enough. Strange there are no menus for breakfast though so it was a bit of a guess knowing what you could order.
Overall, it was okay but not if you are in a hurry for food or drink.

Room Tip: Room 119 was tiny but others on the opposite side of the corridor seemed larger - although apparentl...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Joven19,

Thank you for taking the time to offer us feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the party night and the quality of the food served, I am disappointed however that you felt that the service was slower than expected. As you will appreciated we strive to offer seamless service no matter the numbers we are catering for, this however does present more of a challenge on what was the busiest Christmas Party night of the year. We do ensure that the 4 course dinner is served by 21.15 to ensure the disco starts as programmed at 21.30.

I sincerely hope that given the quality of the party night that you will visit us again in 2014.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Busby Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Premier Inn Glasgow East Kilbride (Peel Park) Hotel
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel

Been to Bruce Hotel? Share your experiences!