Torrance Hotel
US$72
Redhurst Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$102
All reviewshoneymoon suitecocktail masterclassjacuzzi bathgreat nightfood was lovelytwo coursesbirthday partylovely hotelwedding receptionfrom start to finishwaiting stafffunction roomwedding venuesouptribute nightcooked breakfastconservatory
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Visited the Restaurant on 1 May 2012 for spot of lunch. Opted for two courses, pate and lasagne - dishes were served by pleasant, attentive staff. The dishes were ok - nothing terrific to write home about - a few extra touches and it could have been much improved. Pate bit bland, not home made, accompanied by toasted crusty bread, one slice, no butter and served with apple sauce, not a bad idea but the same texture as the pate and just a bit lacking in imagination, would have been better with oatcakes to add texture and a salad dressing for a bit of zing. Lasagne good enough but had been covered in melted cheese (not parmesan) and accompanied with toasted ciabata with garlic butter but so floppy and soggy, again with the same side salad that came with the pate, no dressing, no offer of fresh parmesan altogether a bit of a let down considering the up market surroundings. Lunch including glass of wine and bottle of beer total cost 28.00 - had been looking at going here on a regular basis however probably not for the food but nice enough for a drink on a sunny day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlasgowGreekfreak
Louize H, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our restaurant.

We are very sorry and surprised to hear your comments regarding our food as we pride ourselves on the high quality of food that we serve and receive many positve comments about our food. As your comments all relate to the food, I have passed them all on to our Chef.

You also made a comment regarding the price of your meal again we do offer very good value and competitive prices and we would like to think that 2 alcohlic drinks and 2 two course meals(which you had) at £28 was achieving this.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Enjoyed a family meal in these pleasant surroundings at the weekend.The staff were attentive and the service excellent. We had the soup with home made bread, crispy vegetable tempura, and classic salad nicoise as starters. Very delicious, although I do wonder how a classic nicoise doesn't have either tuna or anchovy included. The mains enjoyed were fish and chips, fahitas, and the torrance burger, and all were cooked perfectly. Given a reasonably priced bottle of Merlot and good company, it was an enjoyable experience which we will repeat.
Clearly benefitted from the tasteful renovation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback...

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I had a meal in the Torrance last weekend & the service was outstanding. I never post comments online but was just so impressed & annoyed when my friends told me of the reviews on here. There was 8 of us dining & no hold up with starters or main courses which were very tasty. Our waitress was so attentive asking us if we require more drinks, coffee etc. I felt at home in there conservatory. The receptionist helped organise our cake & with our jackets she even called me taxi.

All in all a great night and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your
recent visit and we look forward to welcoming you to the Torrance
Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Garrie Ross

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I was recently invited to a family function at the torrance hotel. I decided to make a night of it and book a room and a reservation for dinner before the function.
My immidiate reaction to the hotel was WOW,the decor was very upmarket and trendy but very cosy at the same time . My room was very clean and comfortable.
The restraunt food was lovely and the staff very friendly.i have a few dietry requirements and when i asked the staff what my options where food wise they informed the chef of my requirements then he came out and spoke to me personlay to advice me of what i could choose from there menu,i was very impressed with there above and beyond service approach. After dinner i attended my family function where the drinks were very reasonably priced and we had a great evening.breakfast the next morning was very nice and relaxed and again the staff couldnt of been more helpfull regarding my dietry requirements.i would highly recomend this hotel and i look foward to returning again.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted you enjoyed your
recent visit and we look forward to welcoming you to the Torrance
Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Garrie Ross

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed in this unaccredited hotel in April for 3 nights while working in East Kilbride.
It is well located, and is only a couple of minutes walk from the shopping centre, train station & has all the pubs and shops just down the road.

My first impressions of the hotel were "WOW, this is posh - very boutique". The hotel has obviously had a re-furb recently and the bar and reception looks great.
I went to open the reception door which was locked, so i had to walk through a busy
bar with my case and stuff looking a bit tired, which i didn't think looked good for me or the bar either having to drag your cases through a busy bar while everyone is partying.
I got to the reception and know-one was there. I waited 15 minutes and failed to get anyone's attention (there wasn't even a bell to call anyone), so i had to take my stuff through to a busy bar where i failed to get acknowledged for another 5 minutes. I caught the attention of who seemed to be one of the managers, who then went to the reception with me to pull out a very useless receptionist who was "through the back" of the reception area. She almost seemed surprised that someone had been waiting 15 minutes and was most unhelpful and unappologetic . Let me explain...
She took my money for the room (i had to ask for my own change aswell), she handed me the key and that was it. I had no idea where my room was located (I had to ask) and on top of that it would have been quite nice if she had asked me if i needed any assistance or help to my room. I then went up the stairs and turned into the corridor. It was pitch black as the lights were switched off and i had to find my room in the dark as i couldn't find the light switch. There was also a "Unfinished" suite room door lying open which had been completely stripped back with holes in the floor etc. I thought this was quite a dangerous thing to leave open especially for people staying with young kids.

I got to my room which was a single room. Room was of a decent size, and the bathroom was simple but really nice.
It was quite clean apart from the horrible grubby brown throws and pillows which are complete dirt catchers and had obvious stains all over them. The bed would have actually looked better without them. But overall the room was quite nice and of a clean standard. It needed a few things done to it, but nothing major. I very quickly had a look at my room dumped my case off and decided to go downstairs for a quick pint as i was up early in the morning, and i knew if i had a pint it would send me too sleep.

On my way to the bar, i decided to ask the receptionist about the offer on their website that says "book your stay with us direct & receive a £5.00 voucher for the bar". She had no idea of the offer and told me there was no point in giving me the voucher either as it is last orders at the bar and i probably wouldn't get a drink now. She said : speak to the other receptionist in the morning and see if she knows anything about it. So i went through to the bar at 11.50pm and asked for a pint which i was refused as the bar was closing. This really annoyed me, as if it didn't take me so long too check in etc i would have been able to have enjoyed a pint in the hotel. I also thought it would have been nice if the receptionist had went through and said "can you get him a drink, as he has been trying to check in for 20 minutes" + i was a guest staying in the hotel. I then went back to the reception and asked if there were any pubs nearby where i could get a pint just now. She said "there are a few if you keep walking down the hill - I like Legends, but theres the villiage Inn, the Montgomery etc". So i went outside down the high street to find all the pubs in East Kilbride closing. This again annoyed me as she had sent me down to the pubs when they were all closed. By this point i was seriously dehydrated in general and had no way of getting a drink appart from drinking a coffee in my room (which i don't really like).. So this was a real bad start to the hotel. I must add that everytime i went back to the hotel, the useless receptionist seemed more interested in her facebook page than trying to help me out.

I drank in the bar on the Saturday Night & the Sunday night and i must say it is the "place to be" in East Kilbride. Good dance music and lots of nice attractive girls there too with a respectable upmarket atmosphere. I loved the touches with the celebrity ceiling and i thought the service at the bar was great. I thought the girl with the white hair was a tremendous worker and real credit to the bar.

I would stay back at the Torrance hotel , i think it is a good hotel but the old tatty corridor and the bad service is a million miles away if you want to aim for a 4 star. It's a big disappointment to the owners as they also own the Lynhurst hotel which would put the torrance to shame. This place could make big money if the effort gets put in by the staff that are slacking,

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
21  Thank seasidestar
Louize H, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Reviewer,
We would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our bar, restaurant and reception, we are frequently complimented on the standard and quality of the re-furb. However having read through your review, I must say we are a little confused by some of your comments.

With regards to our reception doors being locked, this only happens when the premises close which is after 12am Sun – Thu and after 1am on and Friday and Saturday. Therefore Im unsure why you had to enter through the bar. I’m sure you will appreciate that these doors are locked out with opening hours for security purposes.

You say that a receptionist was called back to reception by a Manager, however your first comment did say that the doors were locked and there was no one was in reception when you arrived? I have spoken to all staff and no one recalls this situation taking place. As we pride ourselves on our customer service the first thing we do when we hand the key to a customer is explain the location of their room and any other pertinent information i.e. re access, breakfast etc Also as we have no directional signs within the hotel any guest would not know where to go unless we directed them to their room.

Again we are confused re the comment in relation to the unfinished suite door being opened? Yes we are carrying out refurbishment at the moment which involves a new honeymoon suite, however I do not understand how someone who is not related to the hotel in any way and does not know the hotel at all could possibly know that there this is a suite nor how they would know what condition the room was in as the door is locked following site hours?? Again if the corridor was dark as stated in your review how you would know what condition the floor of the suite is in?

Onto your next point you mention the quality of the bedroom, all of our bedrooms will soon be going through a major refurbishment, however at the moment we pride ourselves on them being of a good standard and very clean and comfortable and receive many reviews to back this. Also we run with high occupancy levels and very rarely receive any negative comments. As we currently have an onsite maintenance team and excellent housekeeping team any issues in relation to bedrooms are acted upon immediately (should there be any).

You note that you went to the bar at 11.50pm, therefore that now clears up for me, the question of what time you checked in, however confuses things further with regards to the doors being locked?. As our bar closes at 12am Sun – Thu and1am Fri & Sat there would be no reason why you would not be served a drink nor was such issue reported to management upon check out.

You also mention that you noticed our receptionist to be on facebook, however again I refute this as our reception computer does not allow facebook or any similar site to be accessed.

Lastly I am glad that you enjoyed your night in our bar on the Friday and Saturday night and also that all of the above would not put you off staying with us again!

I would be more than grateful that if you could take the time to write such a long review that you can take the time to call me on: 01355 255241 to discuss this matter in full as we do not have any recollection of such issues you mention in your review above.