“Very good standard and friendly staff”
Review of Torrance Hotel

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed at The Torrance as part if a large family group. The room was very comfortable and a good size. We requested an additional single bed for our son who was sharing the room with us. This worked very well and the room was easily big enough for this. The furnishings were very nice - a very contemporary feel to the room. The bathroom was lovely.

We also had a big family meal while at the hotel. 24 of us had an evening meal in the hotel's conservatory and the standard of the food was very good. The staff were all great - and didn't mind that we were still at the table at midnight - very accommodating. We had breakfast in the conservatory the next morning - so someone was working hard to reset everything for us in the time in between.

Thanks Torrance - very good indeed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Fawn F, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor, the team here at the hotel work hard to ensure that every guest’s expectations is met and where possible exceeded.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel & hope to welcome you back at the Torrance hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Just back from The Torrance after a lovely lunch with the family, really nice and plentiful food and very smart and attentive staff. Great value and a gem in EK, looking forward to visiting again for an evening meal. Oh, and decent background music too, pretty rare!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, we are delighted to contribute to the local community here in East Kilbride. Our staff pride themselves on exceptional customer service. We look forward to welcoming here at the Torrance Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

My wife and I booked the Torrance Hotel for a 60 seat christening, following the birth of our daughter Erin. We opted for the full 3 course sit-down lunch menu at £25 a head and also for Champagne on arrival at £4. In total we paid almost £1800 for our afternoon at the Torrance, with the objective of it being a very memorable experience for our family and special guests. In the previous weeks we met up with the event manager and picked our menu and forwarded our revised numbers (63) and a seating plan. This is when things started to go wrong.
My wife and I popped home to feed the wee one between the Service and the Hotel. On arrival we were met with moving furniture and 10 guests milling about the bar, unseated. Ross, the duty manager (who recovered the situation as best he could) advised he was not aware of the "increased numbers" and not to worry, we could sort out the "additional costs later". I checked the table plan and for reasons unknown, the hotel had missed an entire table of 10 people. 30 minutes elapsed between our arrival and the guests initially being seated. Imagine being one of the guests and wondering if you were actually meant to be there? Absolutely, mortifying for my wife and I.
In order to alleviate the wait, I ordered a round of drinks for my guests, and then another. (No offer from the Hotel) When I did sit down, our commemorative, specially printed menus welcomed guests from "Peter, Erin and Claire" (My wife's name is Mary, my daughter Erin Clare) Again mortifying for myself and my wife, and robbing us of what we thought would be a great keepsake for future years. I contained my anger and went along with the recovery plan and Ross advised that he would provide Coffee and biscuits to the guests at the end. Again, I didn't argue but had thought at £30 per head, tea and Coffee was included. Indeed the event manager advised us that our Christening cake should be cut at the start of proceedings in order it could be distributed in time for the tea and coffee at the end.
As we had a delayed start, Erin was missing her nap and scheduled feeds, and we had to leave before our guests. I made three attempts to obtain/pay the bar bill, firstly upstairs where I was advised I needed to go to reception. I visited reception and after 5 mins, they were still having difficulty. I then advised I would go upstairs and say cheerio to my guests and need the bill when I return. On my third attempt some 15 mins later the receptionist and Scott were still having difficulty, then inexplicably starting dealing with another guest as I stood there. I told them I was leaving as my daughter was now screaming for her feed.
Rather than hysterically complaining about things that have passed and could do nothing about, I wrote to the Hotel , recorded my displeasure and they apologised for the "admin errors" . I requested appropriate compensation and after a number of requests to meet to discuss and escalate, was flatly refused, with a final offer to cover the 3 additional guests, the coffee and 2 tickets to one of their Christmas Party nights (yes a party night for a couple with a 12 week old baby!) They had also set a deadline of 24hrs to pay the bar bill (£217) after which they have threatened a debt recovery process. (for a bar bill that could not be produced at 3 attempts)
I had indicated that I was going to take this further, but after reviewing Tripadvisor and noting people with similar experiences, I have decided to settle the bar bill and post this review. I wish I had read the similar reviews first and I might have looked elsewhere, but thought simple things like counting tables, and spelling in menus would have been reviewed by managers and not passed off as a simple admin error, when the impact on the day is so upsetting. When you have one chance at a Christening, you need to get it right. I am sure the manager, who has refused to meet me, will post a response saying this is an isolated issue (read other reviews) or my guests were happy (not the 10 unseated gusts) Suggest he reviews this and other reviews, gets simple things right and if not, compensate adequately. Every part of this incident could have been avoided and also handled better after the event. It would be easier for me to accept if I was the only one who had experienced this but as per previous reviews, this a worrying trend that seems to repeat. Mistakes do happen, but repeats are a managerial failing (and what about the people who have not formally complained or highlighted in Tripadvisor)
Stop press - Latest from the Torrance Hotel who suggested progressing this matter with the Police (the drinks bill!).Think maybe a lesson in ether Scottish Criminal Law or Uk Consumer Protection may be in order! Tried another three times to pay the bill at the weekend and, again, their system was down. Eventually paid it on Tuesday when their system was back working. Imagine the surprise when the Police knocked at my door on Wednesday after being given a very different and inaccurate story from the Torrance Hotel. I provided the Police with my correspondence, receipts including those of the failed attempts to pay, and the eventual successful settlement. The Police were furious that their time was being wasted and left to verify with the Torrance. I received a call from the Police an hour later letting me know they had verified but could not share what action they were taking with the Torrance Hotel as wasting Police time is a matter for Police to pursue, not individuals. As you can see above, don't expect anyone in this Hotel to communicate either effectively or truthfully. A very worrying trend and the managers involved need to reflect on their role in this sorry affair.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank glasgoworlandolovers
Louize H, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review below regarding your daughters Christening which was recently held at the Torrance Hotel. We are very disappointed that you have felt the need to post this review following a minor administrative error. We have now apologised profusely for the error that was made with regards to your menu and table plan and on the day to compensate for this error we offered you and your guests tea and coffee with petit fours which you kindly accepted and also allowed the two additional children that you failed to notify us about eat for free on the day. However, we did feel that your requests to let you off without paying for two rounds of drinks for you and your 60 guests was a lot for us to offer for an administrative error.

As you left the hotel without paying for the two rounds of drinks and after refusing to pay for these after three requests via telephone we had no option but to involve the Police. We are unable to comment any further on the situation at this time as it is now a police matter but again we are really sorry that you felt the need to post this very exaggerated review especially when you and your guests both commented on how good the food and service was on your special day.

Management
The Torrance Hotel

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I've stayed a number of times at the Torrance hotel, from before their refurbishment until now and will continue to stay in the future as it offers everything I'm looking for.
The rooms are very modern and comfortable.
The food is excellent and offers a varied choice and this is shown on how busy the restaurant on each occasion we have stayed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor, we are delighted you continue to enjoy staying with us here at the Torrance Hotel & look forward to welcoming you again here soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Have eaten here before & delighted to say, the Torrance Hotel never disappoints. The food is excellent & the staff are friendly & efficient. Menus are varied & offer wonderful choices. Will certainly return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we are constantly making changes to the Hotel to ensure that we offer the very best in guest services.

Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back at the Torrance hotel in the near Future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at the torrance on 23 of nov from the min we arrived on the Friday the staff could not do more for us all the rooms for the wedding party we're stunning and very comfortable we had dinner on the Friday night which was great. On the wedding day louize and sean who was running the day could not do more for us our meal was perfect the ceremony room was so beautiful every were you looked there was a christmas tree our party at night was fab with a great dj and great buffet our honeymoon spa was amazing I cant recommend the torrance enough from start to finish it felt like a fairytale thanks to all the staff from mr and mrs dixon and family x

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to be part of your special day and look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance hotel in the future.

Louize Hollywood

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I reviewed this restaurant when it first opened up after the refurbishment and it was poor. Been back a couple of times for a meal and it has been ok to good.

Went for a meal on 16 November (as zucca was booked until 9.15) and it was poor. The service was slow but when asking for something the waiter/waitress was already walking away before sentence finished.

Food terrible for price. Lasagne poor (just tasted strongly of tomato purée )with small portion of frozen chips. Offered Parmesan but then not given it. When I asked the waitress a small bowl of cheese was brought over, appeared to be cheddar and not Parmesan. Arrabiata also poor. Ordered dessert, didn't arrive. Asked for bill after half hour wait for dessert and dessert had been included on bill. Asked for it to be taken off which it was.

Will not fine here again. The Torrance need a new chef, the restaurant looks good but food not up to scratch. The waiters/waitresses need to be trained better too, disorganised and chaotic. It wasn't even busy!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank lyndseyEK
Louize H, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very surprised by your comments as we had a large number of covers on Saturday night with no issues in terms of service nor any complaints regarding food. We would like to discuss this further if you would like to contact the hotel on: 01355 225241.

Louize Hollywood

Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!