“Door banging”

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Hi,

Myself & my husband booked the Honeymoon Suite on 13th June 2014, to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and my birthday. The room was out of this world. The only issue we had was the door beside our room, which was beside the conference suite continuously banged with people coming in and out all night, this affected our sleep and were kept away pretty much all night. slightly disappointed. Is there anyway the spring on the door could be fixed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley M
Fawn F, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

We are delighted that you chose to stay within the hotel, I will be looking into the door spring to ensure this matter is sorted. We look forward to welcoming yourself and your family back to the Torrance Hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Torrance Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here as part of a wedding party. My thoughts on the hotel, restaurant, bar, etc.

1. Bar staff were absolutely wonderful. Very personable, and efficient. Spent many hours at the bar over the week, partly due to the friendly bar staff. Can't say enough about them and thanks!

2. Had a strange/mixed experience the one time I ate breakfast here. I paid for breakfast, but our tour bus arrived and I had to leave without eating the meal. Asked for a takeout container, and was brought a plastic tub that had food debris from some kind of cream/sauce in it. While I appreciated the offer, I thought it strange that they did not have a takeout container and would offer me an uncleaned plastic tub to take my food in.

3. I stayed one night, left/checked out for another night to to a highlands tour, and then returned for 4 additional nights. I asked the hotel if they could hold on to my large luggage bag for a night as I could not bring it with me on my highlands tour, and was told that they might not have any room, and that they could only store my large bag for a night if a hotel room was available. They then said that if they did this, they could not be liable for missing items. I agreed that this was entirely acceptable and reasonable, as I was asking for a favour. The front desk lady said that the hotel was fully booked with all rooms being used, and said they could not store my luggage anywhere and that I had to find someone else who was staying at the hotel to put my bag in. I thought this was too bad for me,and we found another person from the wedding who let us place our large bags in their room.

When we returned from our tour, we found that we were checked into the same room we had the first night, and we also found our towels we had hung up were still there, and some items we moved in the room were still moved and garbage not emptied. Aside from the bed being made, and the towels on the floor being replaced, it looked like nobody but us had been in the room since we left. I was disappointed that we were told the hotel was fully booked with nowhere to store our luggage, only to find that our room was not used. I would have appreciated an answer like 'we cannot store luggage due to theft/liability issues', rather than being told that all rooms were booked as the reason for not storing our luggage, and to find that all the towels and trash were not even changed. The room was made up as if the staff expected us as the next guests in the room, when we were told the room was being used by someone else. Would have appreciated simply being told 'no, cause we don't want the liability' instead.

4. Wifi was not reliable. Brought it up with the front desk staff a few times, who seemed unable to fix it. When it did come back, it was intermittent. We had two phones and a tablet that all experienced intermittent issues, and other guests complained as well about this too. I eventually just got my own data sim card to avoid having to use their wifi.

Overall, I would say the bar staff really helped our experience here at the Torrance. While we did not get 'terrible' service from other staff, just some strange interactions from other staff from a couple of requests we had. I would stay there again though, as the building is clean, stunning decor, and exceptional bar staff.

BTW this hotel is close to the Village, which has some good restaurants, and a co-operative supermarket with cheap food and beer to help save some money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suprgrover

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are delighted you chose to stay with us recently, I have passed your positive comments onto my bar team.

With regards to your other comments, I am very keen to talk through these with you and do encourage you to contact the hotel at your earliest convenience to discuss further.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

A warm reception and friendly and professional service.Excellent food and so pleased to see a gluten free menu with such variety
I am looking forward to Christmas Lunch with my friends,already booked here in advance

Room Tip: Check the web-site first,both lift and stairs
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank grannycake

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

We are delighted that you had a great time within the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back this Christmas, if not before.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I chose this venue to stay for my brothers wedding in May and booked for Malmaison Glasgow the following evening. In short, I wish I had stayed my entire trip at The Torrance.
Genuinely unexpected. First class service from the friendly and attentive team. Nothing was a problem and they were just fantastic.
The rooms were of a high standard and great attention to detail.
I will definitely return. If you are going to East Kilbride make this your first and only choice.
Claire McCusker

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank claire m

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

We are delighted that you had a fantastic time within the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

In March I celebrated my 65th Birthday at the Torrance Hotel in East Kilbride. I had been at their restaurant a couple of times and was impressed by the food and the staff so decided to book my party here. Great choice! The staff were incredible, everything was well organised and I felt they went the extra mile to make sure it was a special night - including the barman going downstairs to get the ingredients for my French Martini! The buffet was lovely and there was plenty of it. I even got a free drink from the owner when he found out what I was celebrating. My family and friends loved it too. Thank you for making my night so wonderful.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Fawn F, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,
We are delighted that you had a fantastic birthday celebration within the hotel,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Torrence hotel as a venue is absolutely stunning.
We recentlt attended a wedding held here from start to finsh.
The wedding itself was held in a beautiful room, fantastically lit, music system and decor, I couldnt fault this part.
There was a small, very small actually, holding room/bar where guests were kept before the service, before the meal and after the meal as it was dressed for evening reception.
This room although beautiful was not large enough, and did not have enough seats to accommodate the 100 guests included in their wedding package. The small bar struggled to keep up with the queues of guests and one tiny toilet per sex was a nightmare (yes i do appreciate there was a bar downstairs but at certain times we were told to remain here... Before wedding service etc)
The longest wait of the night came after the meal, where for almost 2 hours the original 100 guests were met by the evening guests as they redressed the room for the reception.
The room was horribly warm, cramped with all these extra guests and no extra chairs were included here, the noise levels of 150+ people meant we couldnt even have a conversation without shouting.
The guests grew more and more restless and a queue formed at the door which led to a barrage of guests bursting in when they had finally opened the doors and running for tables to sit with friends and family.
The food for the meal was lovely, although service was very slow, the top table were finished each course long before my table had been given food (and we were not the last table to be served) more staff would have definitely helped. The buffet ran out very quickly, I was only around the 30th guests to attend it and there was no chicken left and the pakora was almost done. I felt it could have included more options for those intolerant to certain foods... I am intolerant to salad cream and mayonnaise and almost all sandwiches and wraps included this deeming them inedible for myself.
The resident dj was good and played a varying amount of old and new music and handled all requests, the room and led lit dance floor was beautiful.
Thankfully we had a nice day to attend the wedding and the grounds for photos were well used.
I hope the bride had a wonderful day
My friend is looking at venues for her own wedding and I dont think she was won over at the torrence although myself and partner would return again for a meal/overnight stay i think.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fionax
Fawn F, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you had a lovely day at the wedding. We appreciate all of your comments particulary regarding the décor of the hotel and the quality of the food.

With regards to the size of our Village Suite, this suite is the smaller of our two function suites and has been designed to be used for a short period of time i.e. during turn around, photographs etc. At the point of sale the bride and groom is fully aware that there will not be seating for all 'day guests' as this area is offered purely as a private area for their guests. However, more often guests choose to mingle and enjoy some drinks whilst the photographs are being taken and the main room be re-set. At these points during the day, the wedding guests have several other areas within the hotel which they can go to enjoy a their arrival drink whether it be in our beautiful gardens, beer garden or downstairs in the main bar which many guests choose to do to enjoy the lovely weather which was on offer on the particular day in question.

As all of our function suites are fully air conditioned we are surprised to read your comments re the heat within the room as on warm days the a/c is always used to ensure guests comfort.

With regards to the buffet, we can only cater for the numbers as directed by the bride & groom, with regards to the offering again this is the choice made by the bride & groom to which we adhere too. We are sorry to hear that you weren’t able to eat the sandwiches, during the planning process, the question of guests dietary requirements is always raised during the planning stage. Therefore if we are not made aware of any dietary requirements, we are unable to prepare this. However, if this had been mentioned to a staff member on the night, our Chefs would have been more than happy to make some sandwiches without mayonnaise.

Once again we thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Nice hotel. Friendly welcome on arrival and staff allowed us to eat prior to checking in as other members of our party had arrived before us and ordered dinner. The food was fine and good service. Our room wasn't the biggest but perfectly adequate. We were in a room with an adjoining door, unfortunately there was little or no soundproofing and consequently could hear our neighbours conversations. A nice touch was the Tunnocks tea cake and caramel log with the complimentary tea/coffee. Breakfast was fine but service was very slow, only one person serving. Overall, a nice place for a short break. If I'm back in East Kilbride I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without an adjoining door........ or watch what you say in your room as the neighbour...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Torrance Hotel. We only have one interconnecting room within the hotel which we normally keep for families. However from time to time we have to let these rooms individually due to demand. Re breakfast, all hot breakfast dishes are cooked fresh to order which may result in you having to wait that little longer, we do hope it was worth the wait.

We are glad that you would choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!