“Not Singhing the Praises”

India Gate Indian Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Dunblane
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Postcode : FK15 0EY Tele: 01786 822 098
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I were staying at the nearby Old Churches House and decided to go to this restaurant for lunch as we'd been before and enjoyed it. I wish, on hindsight, I'd checked this out before revisiting. The Company website claims that the India Gate is " A new benchmark in Indian Cuisine in the Stirling area." I don't think so!

When we arrived, the restaurant was empty yet the waiter quickly informed us that one of the 3 choices of lunch menus - the cheapest - was no longer available. No explanation was given. Still, we ordered our starters and mains. The main courses were accompanied by a garlic nann bread. A previous review described this as "soft and floppy". Sadly nothing has changed.

At best the rest of the food was ok but nothing can detract from the shocking service. The waiters were noticeable by their absence, not even asking if the meal was fine. Again, this "serious lack of attentiveness" has been mentioned before (September 2013) so Mr. Singh would appear not to be concerned. I regard this attitude as arrogant. In addition, more than 30% of reviews have marked this restaurant lower than 'very good'. No wonder.

I have also read that many local people have vowed never to return and I will definitely be joining that gang. We paid the bill and left without leaving a tip. How could you possibly even consider that?

Definitely not recommended.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We visited this restaurant after arriving in Dunblane to stay for a few days.

Staff were polite, food was good and enjoyable

Building is a bit tired, but food made up for that

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The food was lovely and there are some dishes on the menu that I have not seen on other Indian menus. The service was impeccable and the restaurant was surprisingly busy for a Monday evening! We did feel that it was slightly pricey but eating out at an Indian restaurant often is.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We went for a family meal and I was very impressed, the portion size was massive! The service was faultless and the food was well described and very tasty.

1  Thank Nicholas G
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The meal we had in here was good but the service could have been better and the fact that we had to pay for the poppadoms and water was disappointing. Food 7/10 everything else 3/10